RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #962 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    There's also the detail that after Roy and Durkon got tired of the
    Spoiler
    Show
    paladin's passive-aggressive murder attempts
    and quit, there was only three.

I really hope we see those twits get curb-stomped at some point. They annoy me on so many levels.
    That would be funny to see.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

There's also the detail that after Roy and Durkon got tired of the
    Spoiler
    Show
    paladin's passive-aggressive murder attempts
    and quit, there was only three.

I really hope we see those twits get curb-stomped at some point. They annoy me on so many levels.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously. Its bad enough that they were trying to get other party members killed (and especially that the *paladin* was trying to get other characters killed), but what moves it from irksome to downright smite-worthy is that they were trying to get the *healer* killed. I mean... seriously? The *HEALER*? How friggin stupid do you have to be to intentionally try to kill off your healer while on an adventure?

I guess its possible one of them was multi-classed and thus technically could also heal, but it seems unlikely. Its just a great way to turn a mildly difficult encounter into a TPK.

It reminds me of a long time ago when I was playing with some friends in a non-D&D fantasy game world that explicitly gave XP (and quite a significant amount) for killing off PCs and as a game system had relatively weak healing abilities. As soon as we got a basic understanding of the rules, I immediately called dibs on being party healer, lied to the party about my character build (why max out healing skills when you can focus on poisons?), and then stood by "helplessly" as PC after PC under my care died to what initially seemed like trivial injuries. I got away with it for a while, but once people noticed I was leveling noticeably faster than everyone else, they figured it out and turned on me in the middle of a fight. I was nastier than they expected (since I didn't waste any points on healing skills I was a pretty good fighter and used poisoned weapons) and we did end up with a TPK, after which we never played that game again.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-09-20 at 10:49 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post

It reminds me of a long time ago when I was playing with some friends in a non-D&D fantasy game world that explicitly gave XP (and quite a significant amount) for killing off PCs and as a game system had relatively weak healing abilities.
    This? Bad idea. Major bad idea. What was your group thinking to play that?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Perhaps they wanted to play some PvP.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #335

ClericGirl

'I hate these people I'm playing with and I'm going to ruin this session for everyone. evil laughter.'

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

They were thinking that they were playing a game, like almost every game that they had ever played. In Chutes and Ladders, chess, checkers, Monopoly, or any other game, each player is trying to defeat each other player. This is a perfectly valid way to play a fantasy role-playing game as well.

It's not to my taste, but that doesn't make it wrong or incorrect.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    What Internet are you from?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They were thinking that they were playing a game, like almost every game that they had ever played. In Chutes and Ladders, chess, checkers, Monopoly, or any other game, each player is trying to defeat each other player. This is a perfectly valid way to play a fantasy role-playing game as well.

While I agree it isn't "Wrong", I tend to view any activity that encourages infighting amongst its players (rather than the friendly competition of chess and Chutes and Ladders) to be a bad idea that isn't destined to end well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    While I agree it isn't "Wrong", I tend to view any activity that encourages infighting amongst its players (rather than the friendly competition of chess and Chutes and Ladders) to be a bad idea that isn't destined to end well.
    Friend Computer, I wish to report that Kelest doesn't seem to be very happy playing the game you have so selflessly provided for us right now.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Friend Computer, I wish to report that Kelest doesn't seem to be very happy playing the game you have so selflessly provided for us right now.
    -----> Joke

-----> My Head:
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #341

RedKnightGirl

-----> Joke

-----> My Head:
    Perhaps some life ruining will ease your pain...
    Warning: Security level Violet only.
    Have a nice daycycle!
    I *might* use TVTropes for all my educational needs.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

12. - Top - End - #342
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

If everyone goes in with an understanding that it's going to be a game of backstabbing and treachery, it could actually be pretty fun as a one-off session or short campaign. I mean, apart from being fantasy-themed, that could easily have been a session of Paranoia.

(That said, if you're playing that way when it's not expected, and/or your fellow players tend to take character vs. character attacks as personal attacks, then yes, it's a recipe for disaster.)

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

-----> Joke

-----> My Head:
    As others have said, I was referencing the wonderful game, Paranoia.

The only game I know of where knowledge of the rules is treason*.

* Of course, everyone is a traitor in the game, so.....

Part Marx Brothers, part Brazil, part 1984, part Kafkaesque.... and all fun.

Happiness is Mandatory, after all.

It was originally designed as sort of the anti-RPG of the 1980s but actually proved to be extremely influential. One of the central conceits of the game is that it's not so much Players vs DM (which is an unfortunate style of play that has invaded many a game) as Everyone Vs Everyone. Where the concept of The DM Is ALWAYS Right is taken to a nightmarish conclusion. And a game where, if you get past the "Bob's a Commie Mutant Traitor, I ZAPZAPZAP HIM!!!!" style of play, can get quite thrilling and intense.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-09-21 at 04:22 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #344
    Pixie in the Playground

sigh Re: OOTS #962 - The Discussion Thread

{{Scrubbed}}

I have another profile on here. its Morchaint. but a. forgot password etc. and the email I used for it is now dead, and thus I cant reactivate it. Id love to have that back. but I cant get to it. tried to get to it, or get someone to send me password and a way to get that forum person back. that all being said.

I loved this comic.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2014-09-29 at 04:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

{{Scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2014-09-29 at 04:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

I dont want to leave here. I love the comic. I like the people here. but yes its frustrating for the comic to go so long between comics.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drathon'Tal View Post
    I dont want to leave here. I love the comic. I like the people here. but yes its frustrating for the comic to go so long between comics.
    I've long been in the habit of letting myself get months behind on the strip and then reading all the 'new' ones at once to catch up. Of course, I completely missed out on the Kickstarter this way so that may not be the best solution.

Anyway, we know there's only so much story left, and I figure the less frequently the Giant updates the longer it'll last.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    I've long been in the habit of letting myself get months behind on the strip and then reading all the 'new' ones at once to catch up. Of course, I completely missed out on the Kickstarter this way so that may not be the best solution.

Anyway, we know there's only so much story left, and I figure the less frequently the Giant updates the longer it'll last.
    True, but it's also been about 6 months since the comic restarted, and they're still on the airship. I've been hoping the pace would pick up sometime, but it's been rough. The FAQ still says it updates three times a week, but I guess I missed that golden age.

19. - Top - End - #349

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
    Same here. I'm actually considering just deleting this from my bookmarks and not checking it anymore. The comic seems like its getting updated maybe twice a month at best, and its hard to follow the storyline with gaps that long. Besides, you lose interest in the time off anyway.

Wish this was like schlock mercenary. He manages to update every evening.
    Hey kids, this is your friendly reminder to check the forum rules about discussing the update schedule!

20. - Top - End - #350

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    'I hate these people I'm playing with and I'm going to ruin this session for everyone. evil laughter.'
    Wait a minute...
    I know who you are, OLD DM!

"The Search for the Chaos Ruby": We were EVIL. We had a whole evil plan going on to take over the world and it was GOING NICELY. The last thing we wanted was a dungeon crawl, especially considering we were second level and had a sizable army already and were preparing to go a'Viking with them. So, naturally, you make us go in to this cave to earn the lizardmen's trust. Then you throw fifteen direbats at us. Fifteen. At second level. With a party of three diplomacy-focused adventurers that don't include a ranger or druid.

Okay, so you're probably not him, but I'm still a little miffed about that campaign.

And Old DM, in case you're reading this, turning that campaign into a game of Farmville as a punishment was a MASTERSTROKE, even if it didn't succeed in getting our characters back on the rails.

And don't get me started on Frustration Walls...

Oh right! OOTS thread. Uh...

I think Durkon has seen himself naked 532,914 times.
    I wonder if somebody is ACTUALLY going to link to a cat video.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

21. - Top - End - #351

ClericGirl

I've never played tabletop roleplaying games before, so yeah I'm probably not your old DM.

Also, I feel I need more information before answering how many times Durkon has seen himself naked. What are the dwarven customs regarding underwear and bathing?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    I've never played tabletop roleplaying games before, so yeah I'm probably not your old DM.

Also, I feel I need more information before answering how many times Durkon has seen himself naked. What are the dwarven customs regarding underwear and bathing?
    ... I was going to answer this with "according to Belkar, not nearly up to scratch," but then I realized he's only ever complained about humans smelling. As far as I can remember, anyway. So if he has the tentative Belkar stamp of approval, they're probably pretty stringent.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-09-25 at 01:40 AM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    ... I was going to answer this with "according to Belkar, not nearly up to scratch," but then I realized he's only ever complained about humans smelling. As far as I can remember, anyway. So if he has the tentative Belkar stamp of approval, they're probably pretty stringent.
    You were probably thinking of this strip.

: See? You wanted the dwarf back, and Elan wanted a shaggy, smelly, ill-temptered beast with a hump. Everyone's happy!
    : I love helping people!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You were probably thinking of this strip.

: See? You wanted the dwarf back, and Elan wanted a shaggy, smelly, ill-temptered beast with a hump. Everyone's happy!
    : I love helping people!
    That was it! Thank you!
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, I guess that would mean that dwarves bathe about as much as humans.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    So, I guess that would mean that dwarves bathe about as much as humans.
    Or at least that no matter how much they bathe, they can never get that well-watered-with-ale smell out of their beard and armor.

27. - Top - End - #357

I don't remember exactly where it was, but at the end of DCF, Durkon was ripping into Belkar over something, and Belkar added it to the list of reasons not to be a dwarf, next to Miscellaneous Odor Offenses.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't remember exactly where it was, but at the end of DCF, Durkon was ripping into Belkar over something, and Belkar added it to the list of reasons not to be a dwarf, next to Miscellaneous Odor Offenses.
    He was going after Belkar for abandoning the casters for personal glory, and saying that in the dwarven army, he would have been dismissed for such an offense.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

He was going after Belkar for abandoning the casters for personal glory, and saying that in the dwarven army, he would have been dismissed for such an offense.
    That'd be comic 111.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    Hey kids, this is your friendly reminder to check the forum rules about discussing the update schedule!
    I actually had a very hard time finding that section in there, and all I saw was "Missed/Late Comics: Threads speculating on when a comic will be posted or why it may be late will be locked; this does not apply to official threads started by site staff providing notification of a late comic."

Doesn't this mean its okay if we're just discussing how the gaps between the comics affect our enjoyment of it, rather than wondering why they're late or when the next one will be up?