New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Story Idea: Person From Actual Medieval Ages Transported Into DnD World

I have an idea:

A person like a knight or something, from like the real world medieval ages being somehow transported into a Dungeons and Dragons world with all its nonsense on display. The story then proceeds to demonstrate how different the worlds are, partly to show how unlike the medieval ages DnD really is, and partly to show its lack of realism can actually be a good thing and thus show why we don't be more accurate to actual medieval ages.

but first, I'll have to get the best possible picture of what a person-probably a knight type of guy or other person who actually knows how to fight-would be like and what they would find different and nonsensical about the DnD world they find themselves in. can anyone give me information upon that?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Story Idea: Person From Actual Medieval Ages Transported Into DnD World

I know enough to say "be more specific." The medieval period covers about a millennium over most of a continent. A person from fifth century England will dress, think, and act differently than a person from, say, fifteenth century Venice. Once you have a better idea, you can start researching that period specifically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Story Idea: Person From Actual Medieval Ages Transported Into DnD World

On top of my head I can think of:

-Religion: The Knight would see everybody around as horrible pagans.
    -Magic: There is magic everywhere, granted by those demon-passing-as-gods those people worship.
    -Sex and gender roles: D&D world mostly reflects XXI century's gender equality, not real Middle Ages gender roles.
    -Society's structure: There isn't anything like the Catholic Church, nothing like Canonic Law, monarchy and feudalism are warped, the knightly code of honor is mostly absent (the Paladin's Code has nothing to do with it).
    -Money: Everybody are carrying heavy sacks of metal! D&D coins are huge and have little value when compared with real world's coins. Our knight would need 37.5 freaking pounds (17 kg) of gold to buy a decent suit of full plate, and another ten pounds (4.5 kg) of gold to buy a decent destrier.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2014-10-18 at 11:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I have an idea:

A person like a knight or something, from like the real world medieval ages being somehow transported into a Dungeons and Dragons world with all its nonsense on display. The story then proceeds to demonstrate how different the worlds are, partly to show how unlike the medieval ages DnD really is, and partly to show its lack of realism can actually be a good thing and thus show why we don't be more accurate to actual medieval ages.

but first, I'll have to get the best possible picture of what a person-probably a knight type of guy or other person who actually knows how to fight-would be like and what they would find different and nonsensical about the DnD world they find themselves in. can anyone give me information upon that?
    I would highly recommend reading some of the classic King Arthur stories, for an idea of what that might look like!
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    I would highly recommend reading some of the classic King Arthur stories, for an idea of what that might look like!
    That's somewhat-akin to highly recommending someone read Justice League comics to get an idea of what our world looks like.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2014-11-17 at 10:41 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    -Money: Everybody are carrying heavy sacks of metal! D&D coins are huge and have little value when compared with real world's coins. Our knight would need 37.5 freaking pounds (17 kg) of gold to buy a decent suit of full plate, and another ten pounds (4.5 kg) of gold to buy a decent destrier.
    Seems rather common among a lot of games with a medieval setting. Which is a... lot of games.

Spoiler: Large Images
    Show

I wanted to share this. I hope it makes sense to people who don't play MouseHunt.

This is fanart for MouseHunt, a game where catching mice is a job in and of itself. To catch mice, you need to buy a mousetrap and a base for said mousetrap. The 'small little piece of wood' is the base of the trap.

Oh, and a bottle of glue costs 850 gold, and the typical wire-spring mousetrap we're all familar with costs 900 gold :D

Source: http://talesofpylea.com/lthb/comic/l...pter-2-page-7/
    Much of it won't really make sense if you haven't played MouseHunt though.