New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [ATLA AU] The Crystal Expedition

The people of the Earth Kingdom are diverse and strong. It would have been foolish not to expect their establishments to reflect this property. Yet, the Rolling Wave tavern was abnormal in its lack of rowdiness. Maybe it was the magnificent view of the ocean. Maybe it was the cool sea breeze. Maybe it was located on some sort of spiritual wellspring of harmony. Whatever the reason, everything just seemed to be in balance here. Disagreements were not uncommon, very rarely did altercations become physical; more often than not, the old man at the Pai Sho table (a strangely common fixture in various establishments in all four nations) would convince both parties to discuss their differences over a game.

Of course, not everyone was here solely for the atmosphere. Little did anyone know that today, five people, of different ages, stages, and walks of life, would come together.

Spoiler: Liang-Xia
    Show
    You are currently in the tavern's back room, a White Lotus agent, waiting for a new initiate to the meeting so that the two of you can be briefed.

Spoiler: Tarrruk
    Show
    You have apparently caught the eye of many, as the local waterbending master informed you that your skills were needed in the Earth Kingdom. His ship just dropped you off, and besides your supplies, all you have to guide you is a small wooden disk with a flower on it, and the name of this establishment.

Spoiler: Jia
    Show
    You're vaguely aware of the tavern's strange sense of balance, but your experience as a traveler and scrapper tells you that something is about to go down. The strange man in the hood has been eyeing the Pai Sho board for some time, and the last person to play a game disappeared into the back room more than fifteen minutes ago.

Spoiler: Sojourn and Nam-Kha
    Show
    You two have just recently met in your solitary travels, and are spending some time catching up and/or introducing yourselves depending on whether or not you hail from the same Air Temple. You also seem to be aware of the imbalance the strange hooded man is bringing to this place.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [ATLA AU] The Crystal Expedition

A cloaked figure sits in one of the corners of the tavern, a strange staff lays on his chair. when the man removes his hood a bald blue tattooed head reveals itself. Sojourn, sits down talking to his old friend, Nam-Kha, while keeping his eyes on the hooded man you seems to be an inbalance. how have you been Nam-Kha? I have not seen you since the last Gathering.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jia

The beautiful woman sitting amongst a group of strangers, sipping off a drink cajoled out of the naivety of a young male patron, takes notice of the disturbance in the mood. A mysterious hooded man, huh? There's a lot of hoods in here... wonder if there's some kind of holiday I'm missing out on.

As she sits and thinks to herself, a sly smile takes over her features as a crazy idea takes hold. She politely excuses herself from her table and walks over to the focal point of this disturbance, namely the newly-come hooded man, and introduces herself. "Hello, stranger. Is there anything I can help you find? You look a little lost." Her attempts at concealing a slight slur have some difficulties, though she aims to distract with her best disarming smile. She does her best to get a look at the face of the man, though she stays far enough away that he can't suddenly grab her.

That wouldn't end well for him, anyhow.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Xia waited calmly in the back room of the tavern, seated at her small table with a pot of tea. Well, calmly with a hint of impatience- she was curious about why she'd been called here, and would have truthfully preferred to pass the time among the other patrons of the tavern. It wasn't her call though, so she just let out a soft sigh, took a sip of tea, and continued to wait, letting her attention stray towards the doorway that led to the main tavern every so often.

When it became clear that no one was going to come join her soon, she slowly began to set up her own Pai Sho board, arranging each tile just so.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batpope Scott View Post
    "Hello, stranger. Is there anything I can help you find? You look a little lost."
    The man scoffs, harsh and breathy, still hiding his eyes under his hood. "I look lost?" He demands, lisping noticeably. "You're the one who looks like she hails from across the sea."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"And you seem to be rather focused on Pai Sho yet not playing. I can help you ask the old man to play a game with you if you like, it's not hard to make friends with the right mindset."

She talks like a bubbly airhead, yet her eyes betray that she's after something; they have a certain predatory keen to them as she speaks. She watches the man intensely, unconsciously readying herself to defend without even the slightest hint of why. Something about this man doesn't seem right to her.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sojo, leans back, on his chair, while he enjoys he tea. his eyes seem to wonder, but he is ever aware of the cute young lady talking with the hooded figure. He still can't help but shake something is going to go wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The young man walked into the Rolling Wave tavern, fresh off the boat. He looked around for a moment, then found an open table to sit at. He was typical for one of the Water Tribes - dark hair, deep blue eyes, and pale weather skin. He slipped the large sack off his shoulder and dropped it beside his chair as he sat down and looked around the room. He took in the young girl talking with the cranky older man ... he saw the table of pai sho players ... a young girl waiting for a game.

Sitting back in his chair, he peered at the small wooden tile he had, wondering what it meant, and who he should be meeting with.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Sojourn
    Show

A cloaked figure sits in one of the corners of the tavern, a strange staff lays on his chair. when the man removes his hood a bald blue tattooed head reveals itself. Sojourn, sits down talking to his old friend, Nam-Kha, while keeping his eyes on the hooded man you seems to be an imbalance. how have you been Nam-Kha? I have not seen you since the last Gathering.

Sitting beside Sojourn, another master airbender took a sip from the warm drink he was holding. Nam-kha watched the tavern alongside his old friend, keeping a particular eye on the strange figure who's presence made him uncomfortable.

"Oh, I've been fine Sojourn. Seen a lot more of the earth kingdom since I saw you last. It's beautiful when you see if from the air."

His staff was also beside him,his clothing similar to Sojourns, if only different from the light layer of chain-mail laying over the cloth. sometimes it was useful when he just wasn't fast enough... not that that happened often. His body language displayed a cool confidence.

there were a lot of foreigner's here today, it seemed, as he watched a Water Tribe member enter the Inn.

"Any closer?" he asked, referring to Sojourn's quest to find his family, some concern in his voice as he sipped at the hot drink again, blowing on it slightly before raising it to his lips.
    Last edited by Noctemwolf; 2014-09-15 at 02:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"And you seem to be rather focused on Pai Sho yet not playing. I can help you ask the old man to play a game with you if you like, it's not hard to make friends with the right mindset."

She talks like a bubbly airhead, yet her eyes betray that she's after something; they have a certain predatory keen to them as she speaks. She watches the man intensely, unconsciously readying herself to defend without even the slightest hint of why. Something about this man doesn't seem right to her.
    He pulls up his hood, revealing one of his eyes. It's a sickly yellow color, with a strange vertical slit for a pupil. "I think it would be in your best interest to leave, little one."

The stranger makes an Intimidation Check to coerce Jia to leave the table, with a circumstance bonus for showing her his creepy looking eye.
    (1d20+12)[32]
    Jia must succeed on an opposing Will Resistance Check if she wants to continue interacting.
    Natural 20, Critical Success. Even though she is Fearless, Jia must succeed on DC25 Will Resistance Check (+13 Circumstance Bonus for being); if she wants to continue interacting. Otherwise, Jia gets up immediately and looks for a friendlier patron to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    The young man walked into the Rolling Wave tavern, fresh off the boat. He looked around for a moment, then found an open table to sit at. He was typical for one of the Water Tribes - dark hair, deep blue eyes, and pale weather skin. He slipped the large sack off his shoulder and dropped it beside his chair as he sat down and looked around the room. He took in the young girl talking with the cranky older man ... he saw the table of pai sho players ... a young girl waiting for a game.

Sitting back in his chair, he peered at the small wooden tile he had, wondering what it meant, and who he should be meeting with.
    A young tavern maiden approaches, swaying her hips more than slightly as she carries a tray loaded with drinks. You notice that she must be more coordinated than she's making herself out to appear because of this.

She places a glass of water in front of Tarruk. "Been a while since we had a Tribesman in these parts. What do you drink?"
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2014-09-15 at 12:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sojourn looks down at his drink for a second, trying to find the words for his failure at finding his family. The tea while soothing to drink did not reveal the words that eluded him. After a few minutes silence he spoke. I unfortunately still have found nothing, but i will i can not give up. So why have you been travelling so much as well Nam?
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2014-09-16 at 12:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tarruk glanced up at the girl, completely aware of the way she had sashayed her way over. Looking at the water, he nodded to the glass. "Water's fine for now, but I'd like to try whatever tea you have ... and any dried meats you can find.

Say, have you seen a tile like this before?"
    He held up the small tile with the flower on it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+25)[35] Will defense. Adding in that +13 makes this a success even on a natural 1, considering there is no critical failure.

Jia notices the attempt at coercion but, frankly, isn't impressed. Scarier men have tried and failed. "Hey, I meant no offense, just trying to be friendly. We got off to a bad start. My name's Jia Wo. I'm originally from the fire nation, obviously, and I'm more widely known as 'The Firebending Prodigy', or 'That darn nuisance' depending on who you talk to."

She would have stuck a hand out to shake, but that's more investment in friendliness than her caution is allowing her. She stands a half-step further away, feeling her fire coil inside her. This man was certainly unsettling and that eye is plain unnatural, though it brought her own golden eyes to mind and the fairy tale that states firebenders come from dragons.

Was this a bad idea? I have no doubt that someone would help me if he attacks, but...
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarruk glanced up at the girl, completely aware of the way she had sashayed her way over. Looking at the water, he nodded to the glass. "Water's fine for now, but I'd like to try whatever tea you have ... and any dried meats you can find.

Say, have you seen a tile like this before?"
    He held up the small tile with the flower on it.
    "No problem. And that's a Pai Sho tile. Try asking the old man for a pickup game. He'll teach you a thing or two." She gives him a little grin and walks off.

Jia notices the attempt at coercion but, frankly, isn't impressed. Scarier men have tried and failed. "Hey, I meant no offense, just trying to be friendly. We got off to a bad start. My name's Jia Wo. I'm originally from the fire nation, obviously, and I'm more widely known as 'The Firebending Prodigy', or 'That darn nuisance' depending on who you talk to."

She would have stuck a hand out to shake, but that's more investment in friendliness than her caution is allowing her. She stands a half-step further away, feeling her fire coil inside her. This man was certainly unsettling and that eye is plain unnatural, though it brought her own golden eyes to mind and the fairy tale that states firebenders come from dragons.

Was this a bad idea? I have no doubt that someone would help me if he attacks, but...
    Just as the man stands up, revealing himself to be much taller than one would expect, the waitress saunters up. "Hey now! You've got to be new around here. Everyone knows to stay away from this old coot. Wouldn't know what to do with a woman if she threw herself at him." She elbows him playfully in the stomach, grinning cheekily. "Why don't you try your luck with that guy. Fresh off the Water Tribe boat, probably hasn't seen a girl in weeks. Maybe give him some... private lessons in Pai Sho?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    Sojourn looks down at his drink for a second, trying to find the words for his failure at finding his family. The tea while soothing to drink did not reveal the words that eluded him. After a few minutes silence he spoke. I unfortunately still have found nothing, but i will i can not give up. So why have you been travelling so much as well Nam?
    "ah," Nam Kha replied, finished with his drink and setting the cup down on the table. "Sorry for you." He looked up as though in thought for a moment as Sojourn asked his question. "To see the world," Nam offered simply. "Sometimes you just get tired of the same thing and want something new, and for me it's a new horizon that get's my blood tingling."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I can understand that. Sojourn, laughs a little. Freedom, was an important quality of Air and Air benders.
    Well, Nam, i was thinking of maybe going to the Fire Nation next. Sojo, pulls out his amulet.
    Given how this is all I have of my family, and it is a dragon, just as much as it is the moon. Maybe the Fire Nation or The Water Tribes will have possible leads for me. Would you like to join me friend?
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2014-09-16 at 12:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I can understand that. Sojourn, laughs a little. Freedom, was an important quality of Air and Air benders.
    Well, Nam, i was thinking of maybe going to the Fire Nation next. Sojo, pulls out his amulet.
    Given how this is all I have of my family, and it is a dragon, just as much as it is the moon. Maybe the Fire Nation or The Water Tribes will have possible leads for me. Would you like to join me friend?

Nam-kha was quick with his answer. "Never been. Could be fun. Sure." he said with a big cocksure sure grin in Sojourn's direction.

Nam-kha notices the strange man stand, his height unexpected; Nam-kha felt a small shiver run down his spine. He realxed slightly as the waitress poked fun. Nothing to worry about.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sojourn smiles that his friend was willing to come with, but he also noticed the man stand. What was it about the man that disturbed him so? he gives the old man a look over while he stood.

insight
    (1d20+14)[15]

Show
    well at least there is not nat fail in this system.
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2014-09-16 at 12:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

You find that he is tall, unnaturally so based on his height while sitting. Also, despite this, the hem of his robe is so low to the ground that you cannot see his feet.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Could he be, not, well maybe. Nam, that man. I think he may be a Spirit. I think we should check and see. He could be harmless, or he could be here to cause some harm. Sojourn gets up, and moves to the man. bowing respectfully.

Hello Sir, may I sit next to you, and share a cup of tea with you? Anthony tries to be as charming as he can, while also learning more about the man, while closer to him.

Persuasion
    (1d20+10)[19]
    perception
    (1d20+11)[23]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tarruk nodded to the girl, returning her smile, then eyed the old man thoughtfully as he rubbed the tile between his fingers. Waiting a moment for his drink, Tarruk finally got up and walked over to the man. "Pardon, uncle, but might I sit? I have a question for you. I was given this tile, and the girl there suggested I ask you about it. Can you teach me?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Jia smirks at the waitress' interference and the monk's sudden interposing and she says "Well, I suppose I shouldn't bother him too much. I don't think that the tribesman will thank you for siccing me on him, though." She winks at the waitress as she turns about with a practiced grace, mimicking the girl's exaggerated swaying for a moment as she walks in return for the subtle suggestion that Jia was man-hunting.

The girl walks over to the Pai Sho table, standing a little behind the tribesman, and asks "Do you mind if I watch you two play, or is it a private matter?" Her smile is fairly honest and it's always interesting to figure out games so she doesn't have to try hard to fake interest.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello Sir, may I sit next to you, and share a cup of tea with you?
    The Stranger's attitude moves up from Unfavorable to Indifferent

He sighs. "Suit yourself. Though I do have to wonder about my sudden rise in popularity"

As he reaches for his half-empty cup of tea, you notice that his hands look rather leathery, with deep lines reminiscent of old age.

Tarruk nodded to the girl, returning her smile, then eyed the old man thoughtfully as he rubbed the tile between his fingers. Waiting a moment for his drink, Tarruk finally got up and walked over to the man. "Pardon, uncle, but might I sit? I have a question for you. I was given this tile, and the girl there suggested I ask you about it. Can you teach me?"
    The old man smiles warmly. "Certainly, my child. It's good to see that the young can still interest themselves with the affairs of the old..."

The girl walks over to the Pai Sho table, standing a little behind the tribesman, and asks "Do you mind if I watch you two play, or is it a private matter?" Her smile is fairly honest and it's always interesting to figure out games so she doesn't have to try hard to fake interest.
    "Oh, Spirits forbid! You're certainly free to join in! Or... you will once we get you some tiles of your own. He gets up in a slow, almost exaggerated manner.The barkeep keeps a few extra sets in the back room for me, though rarely ever in the same place. Would you be so kind as to help an old man?"
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2014-09-17 at 04:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sojo, bows his head slightly. Thank you. He then joins the old man for tea. as he also lifts to drink his tea as well.

may i learn your name friend?

25. - Top - End - #25

Nam-Kha watches as Sojourn joined the cloaked figure at his table. His unseen tension relaxed as the stranger seemed somewaht indifferent to him, but not openly hostile. He joins along with Sojourn, after all having been asked to do so.

"You seem a traveler much as we," He noted, leaning back in his chair, one leg crossed over the other, staff leaned against the chair.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tarruk reached over to help the man. "Of course, uncle. If you tell me where, I can get it for you. You said in the back?" He was willing to go back and look for the game pieces, even if he wasn't quite sure where to start. Of course, the owner could probably help point him in the right direction ...

Show
    Of course, this is probably the old man's way of getting us to come back with him to the secret room

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

ANNOUNCEMENT: We have an OOC Thread

may i learn your name friend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post

"You seem a traveler much as we,"
    "I am called Reihai. And I've... been around, you can say."

Tarruk reached over to help the man. "Of course, uncle. If you tell me where, I can get it for you. You said in the back?"
    "Yes, though it would be best if we looked together. The proprietor can be rather scatter-brained, and three sets of eyes are better than two, even if the third is occasionally cloudy."
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2014-09-21 at 11:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sojo, tries to remember if he ever heard of that name before while he keeps up conversation.
    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    I am not sure what roll would be right? so
    (1d20)[17]

So Reihai, how long have you lived in this town? It truly seems to be nice in its ways. Sojo smiles trying to be as kind as ever.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nodding, Tarruk assisted the old man in making his way to the back room. Perhaps these cases were not only heavy to carry, but tricky to find.

Show
    Onward to finding the tiles!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

As Tarruk and the old man entered the back room- with Jia presumably following them- Xia looked up from her tiles with a smile. Her eyes flicked towards the old man first, then over the other two, definitely marking that there were two. Wasn't she only expecting one new initiate? And she didn't recognize this other person... but either way, she was glad to have someone break the quiet. "I take it you found someone interested in Pai Sho?" She said to the old man before standing and making a gesture of respect towards them all. "My name is Xia. I am pleased to make your acquaintance- we're always looking for new players."

A slight grin came across her face, andshe added, "I think he gets tired of me beating him all the time. Please, take a seat. I have the board ready."

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been kinda hesitating and wondering if I should wait for a DM post here, but in my experience its better to err on the side of 'more posts' than 'less posts' so I decided to go ahead and throw something out.