New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Converting the Order of the Stick to TES (SPOILERS FOR BOTH)

As you may know, I love TES (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) in all its forms. I also obviously like OOTS. So I've been trying for some time now to cross the two over with each other.

Here's what I've got so far:

SETTING

The setting is 3rd Era High Rock, during the events of Daggerfall. The province is divided into various squabbling baronies, kingdoms, duchies, etc. which are all technically under the Septim Empire but are generally left alone. Orsinium has not been properly formed yet (more on that later)

CHARACTERS
    The Order of the Stick
    • Rai the Greenhilt
    • Redguard warrior
    • Background: Rai the Greenhilt was born to a conjurer father from Hammerfell who fled the province because his work with Daedra was feared by the others. He grew up resenting his father for attempting to force him into becoming a mage, turning to the Sword Saints of his people for comfort. Later, he would become a sellsword.

• Vyrsu Velothi
    • Dunmer wizard
    • Background: Formerly a Telvanni apprentice, Vyrsu Velothi was unwittingly exiled from Vvardenfell after a magic experiment that claimed the life of a higher-ranking Telvanni noble. Hearing rumors of the Mantella, he sought out partners to aid him in his quest.

Team Evil
    (note: these are canon characters whose personalities line up perfectly with their Order counterparts)
    • Mannimarco the Worm King
    • Altmer necromancer
    • Background: Mannimarco's infamy spreads throughout the lands of High Rock. Whispers tell of his birth and proliferation at the isle of Artaeum, his death at the hands of Vanus Galerion, his return and subsequent attacks on Tamriel, his alliance with Molag Bal...the Worm King's shadow spreads long. Recently he has allied himself with the Orc leader Gortwog gro-Nagorm in the latter's effort to create an Orcish state.

• Gortwog gro-Nagorm
    • Orc warlord
    • Background: Growing up in a tribe that lived in fear of Wayrest's constant raids, Gortwog grew to resent the humans who oppressed him. One night, Malacath visited young Gortwog in a dream and told him that he was the chosen one.

PLOT

Due to the fundamental differences in OOTS' setting and TES', there are various critical plot points that will need to be completely discarded. For instance, the "Roy is dead" plotline must be replaced because there is no resurrection in TES.

Instead of attempting to control the Gates, the plot is now about attempting to retrieve the Mantella from the Mantellan Crux. Since the Mantellan Crux resides in Aetherius, this is no easy feat. Only a few portals to Aetherius exist, spread out throughout High Rock.

The heroes will accidentally destroy one of the Mantellan portals during the first phase (I am not sure if I want this to be a complete Dungeon of Dorukan analogue), then will be captured by the equivalent of Miko Miyazaki and taken to Wayrest. Wayrest will subsequently be invaded by Orcish forces in conjunction with Mannimarco to retrieve the portal there. The city will fall, of course, but the portal there will be destroyed too.

That's...really all I have right now. Any suggestions?
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Converting the Order of the Stick to TES (SPOILERS FOR BOTH)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    That's...really all I have right now. Any suggestions?
    A small one. The Belkar-equivalent should be a Breton. They do match up quite nicely, after all. Small, slight of build, and possessed of rather abnormal tendencies (compared to the larger world, at least).

Not sure about Durkon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'd peg V more as an Altmer - he's got the condescending superior than thou attitude for it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Dunmer have plenty of that too, and Vaarsuvius' condescending mage attitude + red clothes + apprenticeship make him a perfect fit for a Telvanni apprentice.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

More.

• Durkon Thunder-Shield
    • Nord warrior
    • Background: Durkon is a Nord from the Imperial City who idolizes Talos. Just like the actual Durkon, he's not very interesting.

• Belkar Bitterleaf
    • Breton rogue
    • Background: Belkar is a common street thug from the streets of Daggerfall. He was recruited by the Order fresh out of prison.

And I have decided on a name: the Order of the Scroll.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Durkon a Nord? Why not a Dwemer? (I know they're extinct, but it makes more sense considering he's a dwarf and there are dwarves in TES) This one, however, could pass.

V as a Dunmer? That makes 0 sense, she would transition directly as an Altmer. Clothing aside (because, let's face it, that's a really poor argument to make him a dunmer) he's always condescending on the fact that she's not just of a better race, but also that he's the keeper of all important knowledge. The Altmer are like that most of the time, you can even see that in Skyrim with their whole secret agenda, there's something they don't want people to know.

Also, consider the Dunmer are, mainly, a faction of farmer warriors. Sure, they know how to do spells, but they are big on using weapons. The Altmer are specifically designed to focus on magic only (Much like the Bretons, and that brings me to another point)

Belkar, a Breton? Surely, a person with abilities for illusion and conjuring far better suited for that role would be Elan.

And what about making Belkar a Nord? That makes a lot more sense, since they're also great for dual-wielding combat and most kinds of weapon-based fighting.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Durkon a Nord? Why not a Dwemer? (I know they're extinct, but it makes more sense considering he's a dwarf and there are dwarves in TES) This one, however, could pass.

V as a Dunmer? That makes 0 sense, she would transition directly as an Altmer. Clothing aside (because, let's face it, that's a really poor argument to make him a dunmer) he's always condescending on the fact that she's not just of a better race, but also that he's the keeper of all important knowledge. The Altmer are like that most of the time, you can even see that in Skyrim with their whole secret agenda, there's something they don't want people to know.

Also, consider the Dunmer are, mainly, a faction of farmer warriors. Sure, they know how to do spells, but they are big on using weapons. The Altmer are specifically designed to focus on magic only (Much like the Bretons, and that brings me to another point)

Belkar, a Breton? Surely, a person with abilities for illusion and conjuring far better suited for that role would be Elan.

And what about making Belkar a Nord? That makes a lot more sense, since they're also great for dual-wielding combat and most kinds of weapon-based fighting.
    Let's do this blow-by-blow.

The Dunmer have an entire ruling house dedicated to the mindset V espouses. To say they're not big on using spells is just wrong. And it doesn't show in Skyrim, but in the earlier games the Dunmer were just as bad as the Altmer with regards to superior race smuggery.

Belkar...eh, could go either way, but I personally prefer Breton because they're a majority in High Rock. The skill specialties in Skyrim are purely gameplay elements and only deal with lore on a superficial level.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    Let's do this blow-by-blow.

The Dunmer have an entire ruling house dedicated to the mindset V espouses. To say they're not big on using spells is just wrong.

Didn't say they weren't big on using spells. I'm talking meta here, and Dunmer are keener on using weapons and spells. Altmer are focused entirely on magic, and do terribly with weapons.

And it doesn't show in Skyrim, but in the earlier games the Dunmer were just as bad as the Altmer with regards to superior race smuggery.

Belkar...eh, could go either way, but I personally prefer Breton because they're a majority in High Rock. The skill specialties in Skyrim are purely gameplay elements and only deal with lore on a superficial level.
    Skill specialties are not just from Skyrim, I'm talking in general, Bretons were always focused in illusion/conjuration and wizardry (TESO, Morrowind, Oblivion, Daggerfall even. I haven't played Arena, so I don't know about that one).
    In fact, the Daggerfall Breton is actually really bad at hand to hand combat, with their penalization to endurance and I don't know what else. Also, remember lore-wise the Bretons are in a sense half-elves. That means pro wizardry, and con fighting, both meta and lore-wise.

Also, I'm sorry but claiming the creators of the game made skill specialties that only deal with lore superficially is kinda smug. They actually made their skills based on lore (and logical connections) and not just superficially.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show