New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: THE most powerful monster?

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Nothing can have a CR of 1000. CR becomes meaningless much, much, much, much, MUCH earlier.

Incidentally, note that the Great Wyrm Prismatic is still just as vulnerable to dex drain as any other dragon.
    (Well, not really, it can defend against it much, much better. Like with Epic Spellcasting.)
    I was mistaken. I finally found my Slayer's Guide for Giants and the Land Giant has a CR of 90. I was only off by 910.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

You lot wanna look at volume 1 of the Bestiary for Upper Krust's "Immortals Handbook". There are things in there with CRs from 25 to around 9,200 (the Neutronium Golem). All with internally consistent D&D stats.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

And you can disable it with one second-level spell!
    And its saves only rank in the millions!

And even if you manage to find a second level killer spell that allows spell resistance instead of saves (I checked and didn't see one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), it's the same as saying a first level commoner armed with a dagger can kill a great wyrm dragon...if the dragon asked him to do it and stuck its neck out, lifted the scale itself, and provided him with the dagger. The second level spell will only really work if you put them in a situation they will never be in with any shred of logic.
    Last edited by Mr._Blinky; 2007-03-11 at 10:04 PM.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

4. - Top - End - #34

Ray of Stupidity. 1d4+1 INT damage. SR's an issue... but there are ways of bypassing that completely, such as Beguiler 20.

Unless I've somehow missed an immunity to ability damage in the entry.
    Last edited by Bears With Lasers; 2007-03-11 at 10:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Lady of Pain.

* ducks behind a tower shield before people start screaming "BLASPHEMY!" *

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You lot wanna look at volume 1 of the Bestiary for Upper Krust's "Immortals Handbook". There are things in there with CRs from 25 to around 9,200 (the Neutronium Golem). All with internally consistent D&D stats.
    Of course, if you have a derelict starship to fly into its maw, you can take down a Neutronium Golem pretty easily. You might need to have a Krazy Kommodore fly a smaller vessel into it first, though.

7. - Top - End - #37

Ray of Stupidity. 1d4+1 INT damage. SR's an issue... but there are ways of bypassing that completely, such as Beguiler 20.

Unless I've somehow missed an immunity to ability damage in the entry.
    It has no ability damage immunity, or spell resistance, so neither would be a problem. The problem would be getting in a situation where you could actually do this without getting killed. And assuming you find one, since I'm sure one exists, what then? It still isn't dead, and I can't think of any way to kill it.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

8. - Top - End - #38

Wish? I wish this turtle no longer exists.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a DM, that wish would not only fail, but result in an immediate "fish slap" from an angry deity.
    D&D: Libra Edition
    An update to the core 3.5 system

Currently posted
    Barbarian (Updated- Table completed)

Coming soon...
    Bard

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Humans. Nothing worse than humanity; hordes of wizards, clerics, and paladins all wanting to loot your corpse.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
    It has no ability damage immunity, or spell resistance, so neither would be a problem. The problem would be getting in a situation where you could actually do this without getting killed. And assuming you find one, since I'm sure one exists, what then? It still isn't dead, and I can't think of any way to kill it.
    Star Turtles are peaceful creatures who carry worlds on their backs. A star turtle will avoid danger when possible, and fight only when unavoidable. It will snake out its neck to snatch at passing meteors or comets that might threaten the world on its back.
    See, first, the turtle would have to recognize you as dangerous before you cast the spell. I don't see that happening. If, for some reason, there's a reason it would, you can turn yourself invisible first. With its spot +1, there's not much chance it'd see you.

Granted, figuring out a way to kill it after that is going to be difficult, but you can pretty much keep unconscious by recasting the spell each time it wakes up (when it heals one point of intelligence after resting). Again, invisibility is your friend here.

Now, A'Tuin might be protected by the people living on the Discworld, but that's a separate issue. By itself, it's quite vulnerable to this tactic.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

12. - Top - End - #42

Okay, yeah. Humanity as a whole is probably CR 1,000.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Chocobo View Post
    More templates!
    Celestial Fiendish Half-Celestial Half-Fiend Half-Giant Half-Troll Half-Illithid Ti-Khana Chimeric Tauric Voidmind Titanic Lich Vampiric Were-Everything [What JaronK said] of Legend.
    Am I the only one who finds the idea of applying the "Titanic" and "Of Legend" templates to the Terrasque? I mean, seriously, Terrasque of Legend? Is there another one that's his idiot younger brother "Terrasque of a few stories here and there"?

Of course, I see nothing at all wrong with stacking 20 or more "Half X" templates. That's just pure joy.

JaronK

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    I mean, seriously, Terrasque of Legend? Is there another one that's his idiot younger brother "Terrasque of a few stories here and there"?

Oh, god. Somebody HAS to make an "Of A Few Stories Here And There" template now.

15. - Top - End - #45

On it, chief.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfFighterGuy

The problem would be getting in a situation where you could actually do this without getting killed.
    Take 20 on finger of death?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

Tarrasque + Monster of Legend Template = Near Unkillable Creature.

Monster of Legend can grant perma-spell turning, which means
    Spells and spell-like effects targeted on you are turned back upon the original caster
    (emphasis mine)

The Wish and Miracle spells are either target, effect, or area. However:
    The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.
    (emphasis mine)

This means any Wish or Miracle wishing it dead (and targeting it) turn back on the caster. The only way to get the spell to go through is to have your own Spell Turning activated, and hope that when the wish starts bouncing around, you roll 71-80 on the %, making the spell affect you both.

This doesn't mean the Tarrasque of Legend can kill you--in fact, pretty much anything that can fly can still incapacitate it. But it does make it pretty hard to kill.

Also, at this time I would like to point out that the Hecatoncheires is a truely pathetic monster for it's CR. Looking at the Star Turtle, so is it.

Edit: I would also like to point out you can't just add templates willy-nilly by RAW. Many templates have requirements like creature type, and some templates preclude you from having others.
    Last edited by Avicenex; 2007-03-12 at 05:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

19. - Top - End - #49

Behold! The Monster of a Few Stories Here and There, by JackMann and yours truly.

Edit: snerk.
    Last edited by Bears With Lasers; 2007-03-12 at 05:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice one Jack'o'bear... Man with lasers.

So given that the most powerful monster is the last one we made up out of templates, whats the most overpowered for its CR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Nice one Jack'o'bear... Man with lasers.

So given that the most powerful monster is the last one we made up out of templates, whats the most overpowered for its CR?
    Not sure, but I know shadows have my players running for the hills whenever they see one, and they're level 10.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most overpowered for it's CR? Dunno, but adamantium clockwork horrors (MM2) are a good guess. They have disintegrate, implosion and disjunction at will.

And are CR 9.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

The most powerful monster in the bestiary: the Aleax. The only limit to this thing's power is the players' level of cheesiness.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mouse View Post
    Most overpowered for it's CR? Dunno, but adamantium clockwork horrors (MM2) are a good guess. They have disintegrate, implosion and disjunction at will.

And are CR 9.
    What... the... HELL?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

well we met an Aboleth CR 7 recently, they are really unpleasant if you have a naff will save, which I certainly had. dominate person (DC17) 3 times a day as a 16th level sorcerer, turn you into a fishman (DC19) fort save,
    At will hypnotic pattern(DC 15), illusory wall (DC 17), mirage arcana(DC 18), persistent image(DC 18), programmed image(DC 19), project image(DC 20), veil(DC 19). Effective caster level 16th.
    nasty.
    Last edited by Charity; 2007-03-12 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The templates I listed are actually fully legal, as they don't change type.

Most overpowered for the CR is actually quite easy. It's a Zombie Psuedonatural Half-Celestial [All Half-Dragons] Draconic Half-Fey Half-Troll Half-Iron Golem Anarchic Shadow Dark 5 Headed Cryohydra of Legend. Why? Because adding the Zombie template resets the CR to 1.

Admittedly, it's vulnerable to turning, but other than that the thing is damn near unstoppable. It's even a fast moving flier, so it can use a partial charge action from a very long way away and then attack with all five heads (since Hydras use all their heads to attack as a standard action).

JaronK

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Most overpowered for the CR is actually quite easy. It's a Zombie Psuedonatural Half-Celestial [All Half-Dragons] Draconic Half-Fey Half-Troll Half-Iron Golem Anarchic Shadow Dark 5 Headed Cryohydra of Legend. Why? Because adding the Zombie template resets the CR to 1.

Admittedly, it's vulnerable to turning, but other than that the thing is damn near unstoppable. It's even a fast moving flier, so it can use a partial charge action from a very long way away and then attack with all five heads (since Hydras use all their heads to attack as a standard action).
    Its a shame that the Zombie template at the end removes all Special Attacks and most Special Qualities of the thing, although I guess the STR and DEX boosts can make for a bit of a nasty beastie.
    :edit: Oh, and the CR would be 3, because the zombie doubles the HD of the base monster.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2007-03-12 at 03:17 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ah right. And yeah, you lose a lot of the advantages, but it's still a CR 3 critter with a strength somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 and an AC in the low tripple digits. It's also got a move speed of I believe 45 and a fly of 90, with 5 attacks. Very very nasty.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

The most powerful monster?

A Kobold.... with 20 levels of Cleric, 20 of Wizard, 20 of Rogue and 10 of Blackguard (and levels of whatever else to make the party REALLY fear short, yippy, lizard-things)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That Kobold has a CR of 70, and honestly isn't very good for an epic caster.

JaronK