New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A big shiny New! fan-theory for Elan's Tarquin-toppling plan.

My prediction - Elan has written a comic ballad about Tarquin the Idiot, and his inept plan for conquest. Ian pays some minstrels to go around and sing the song in every tavern on the continent. Tarquin's anonymity vanishes. Everyone knows who he is, and nobody will stand for him pulling strings in secret. He doesn't get to be a great villain, but a laughingstock. He doesn't even get his sudden death after living like a king, instead he gets a long time to reflect on his failure.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground
    Default Re: A big shiny New! fan-theory for Elan's Tarquin-toppling plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RNGgod View Post
    This is unlikely, in my opinion.

While this is a pretty good plan, remember that Ian's reaction to Elan's plan was "deviant glee"; it was clearly something he hadn't considered and found impressive.

Ian's whole plan all along has been telling people about the Vector Legion plot; but "those who listen tend to die in the arena." Sure, telling other nations/the elves is more effective, but it's essentially the same spiel. So no, I think it's something else.
    I agree with your reasoning, as making sense, in comic.

"Realistically" speaking, Elan does not have to actually convince the other nations, just make them all aware they must consider the possibility. As 5-10 years roll forward, the truth will become apparent to those who are aware what to look for, and then TT's special strategic advantage evaporates. Then the human/lizard lands unite to quash Tarquin like a bug.

But within the dramatic logic of the comic, doing exactly what Ian is doing on a larger scale does not fly. There has to be another special ingredient that Elan himself brings, even if blabbing might be an aspect of the plan.