1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Webcomic (Discussion Thread)

Everyone knows Ravenloft, yes? Gothic horror, vampires, castles, all that good stuff.

Well thereís also a Ravenloft webcomic.

It's called Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic, and it's on both the Fraternity of Shadows fan-forum, and has its own site. The FoS forum also has a discussion thread (with Cast listing).

Now, I'm a fan of it (disclaimer: and a friend of the artist), but because the FoS fan fiction forum is about as lively as a headshotted zombie, I don't have anyone I can talk to about it. Which is why I'm here.

So what is Starcrossed? Iíd call it a Dark Fantasy/Horror comic, set in the Ravenloft campaign. Itís not a gaming comic per-se (itís all in-character, thereís no talk of levels or spell-slots), but the main crew definitely has a whiff of ĎPCsí about them. Itís also an actual horror comic, in that there are some genuinely dark and frightening moments in it, though itís less gore and more psychological horror. Though given that the main cast are borderline-PCs, there is humor and there is action in there, so itís not unrelievedly bleak.

Why should you read it? Because good horror/dark webcomics are rare, and Ravenloft comics are really rare, and Starcrossed is a good one. It has pretty good art (you can see for yourself Ė itís this black-and-white style heavy on shading) and very good storytelling, with the creator, Isabella, possessed of a genuine ear for dialogue and skill at characterization. The cast is memorable, likable, and believably complex, and itís just fun to watch them interact. Hereís two of them from the Cast page:

Marie Delacroix
    Marie spent most of her youth working the hard life of the poor in Souragne. She managed to escape and make a better life for herself... until she made the dumb mistake of coming back. Despite this setback, Marie does her best to keep in good spirits: she prefers rum, but is willing to try anything else that seems interesting.

Elias Gauvain
    A quiet, pale man who looks like he's in the dying throes of a heroin addiction. By all accounts, an accountant.

And at 219 pages at the time of this post, thereís plenty of comic to read.

So! Go read it (please), and let me know what you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Webcomic (Discussion Thread)

And pages 220 and 221 are up! With a very angry elf.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Page 222 is up! Scene shift!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And we are now up to Page 224!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thanks for posting this! I had trimmed down my list of webcomics, so have an opening. This could fill it nicely.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

COOL! I'll check this out immediately. Ravenloft has always been one of my all time favorite settings.