New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power IV: Boldly Bolding Where No Man Has Bolded Before!

Wow, this update is so popular it crashed their website!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    As for the recent update, can we have just one freaking page without a cliffhanger?
    For it to be a cliffhanger, we'd have to care about the outcome

But if you can't wait...
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1) BHB killed AP

(2) Danica got a Costume Upgrade.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

If Danica's inevitable new costume includes a stripy scarf, I'm running for the hills.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually really curious to see where they go with this. Is Danica now blind? Perhaps even metaphorically?

I wonder how Mookie will disappoint.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    I'm actually really curious to see where they go with this. Is Danica now blind? Perhaps even metaphorically?

I wonder how Mookie will disappoint.
    Er... hardly? She says "why are you looking at me funny" or something like this... I guess they are just confused by the new outfit? Didn't she have shiny eyes before and now they're just black... huge difference, wow. And a new outfit, of course.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

According to the newspost, it seems like something is wrong.
    It seems like everybody knows that except the readers even when there is zero information about how star-powered are supposed to look like.

As for the outfit, I do think something is wrong: Is it just me or does it look like Danica wet her pants?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Anybody who has ever paid attention to Spiderman knows that when your outfit adds black to it, you've gone evil. You might not know it yet, and you might not act like it yet, but you are going to do something firmly on the dark side of the super spectrum before the end of the next comic strip.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Colossus in the Playground

This sucks, I cant see the comic so I cant take part in the discussion. Totally unfair.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Anybody who has ever paid attention to Spiderman knows that when your outfit adds black to it, you've gone evil. You might not know it yet, and you might not act like it yet, but you are going to do something firmly on the dark side of the super spectrum before the end of the next comic strip.

My first thought when I saw the comic was "So she has a Venom suit already?"
    Truth resists simplicity.

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    My first thought when I saw the comic was "So she has a Venom suit already?"
    Ok, lets take bets. Her star power AI is now infected with the hate and anger of the sentinel it got a jump from that died in pain. So her abilities will be more aggressive, and so will mitch. Possibly leading to an arc where she has to purge the taint or virus or whatever in another story arc because this ai keeps over riding her and choosing to do very violent things when it doesnt have to. After all, mitch has displayed he can change her access to her various abilities.

Other possibility, this taint will effect HER emotions somehow. Making her angrier and more violent (much like parker)

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit late to the SND scene:
    Why all those negative feedback for the BHB parts? We get introduced a new enemy faction, and we learn a few things without getting told. They are weapon dealers, anarchists, and their leadership is based on personal authority and firepower. Some value money over anti-government sentiment, some don't. Bill acts consistent, he doesn't plan ahead or gathers intel, and instead relies on bluffing, bribing, improvisation and violence for problem solving and uses gut-feeling to asses a situation. I think he is Mookie's most consistent villain in a long time. That is not a very threatening antagonist is a more general problem.

Also I don't see why BHB would be an idiot for not having a backup plan when he entered the tent of AP. As far as he knew the leader of the SND wouldn't rat him out because his men wouldn't accept it. It was rather AP that acted stupid here, since he seemed to have broken with established traditions and underestimated the fury of his subordinates.

For BHB overwhelming his guards I don't see the problem. We can see the three women looking away from in in the panel when they realize there is a coup. And he very visibly wears a body armour with a huge steel collar.

I say it was so far a solidly constructed scene. The three main actors had reasons why they acted how they did - BHB assumed the SND would stay with their traditions, AP was pragmatic and tried to minimize trouble and maximize profit, and RB choose tradition over profit. No one acted like a tactical or strategical genius, but why should we expect that. And the scene can set plot threads into motion. There has been killing inside the organization and maybe former loyalists of AP who are more pragmatic would like to get rid of BHB and RB.
    Of course if we never see again the SND or if RB just sells the weapons with no further reference to the coup the whole scene was pointless. But at least no talking heads.

Or what do I overlook?

Yeah I'm not going to write out their names. That would ruin any argument that this makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #372

Ragging on mookie is the classic pastime of this board, so he gets cut a lot less slack than most. The biggest issue with Bill is, He is supposed to be the new big threat when Danica just got done taking down a woman with a freaking robot army that had already either killed by herself, or hired to kill, all the other sentinels in existence. Who is the new big bad? A guy who has shown as his best feats, shooting a civilian in the head, (non lethally) and escaping from a prison transport ship with the help of his ai computer run ship, which he then destroyed because modifying his ship is obviously impossible. /rolls eyes. Seriously, he threw away his most effective tool in what was an obvious attempt by mookie to make us see how EEEEEEVILLLLL!!!! he is. Oh, and even though he beat a guard to death, it just proved him to be even more of an idiot because its was due to his delay in hulk smashing a cyclops that his ship was identified. The dragons turning on him actually isnt a bad thing in itself. We are obviously making fun of the silly names, because silly names are silly.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Also I don't see why BHB would be an idiot for not having a backup plan when he entered the tent of AP. As far as he knew the leader of the SND wouldn't rat him out because his men wouldn't accept it. It was rather AP that acted stupid here, since he seemed to have broken with established traditions and underestimated the fury of his subordinates.
    That's not so much stupid as careless (though, I guess that is kind of semantics). We don't know how the talk about this went or if it happened, at all. Maybe he assumed they would be okay with it or they had a vote and Roarboar's faction was overruled and pretended to be fine with it... Er, we're probably putting too much thought into that.

For BHB overwhelming his guards I don't see the problem. We can see the three women looking away from in in the panel when they realize there is a coup. And he very visibly wears a body armour with a huge steel collar.
    This is a bigger issue. Yeah, they were distracted. Which is stupid. And apparently they were stupid enough to not pay any attention to the guy they had just taken prisoner. And even if you have the surprise on your side, taking out three trained warriors shouldn't be easy. It's a standard trope, but still, the universe conspired to make things easy for Bill.

Also, in the end, Mookie believes he creates any kind of drama by cutting off there? As if he'd kill his "awesome villain"?
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #374

So now we are covering hogwarts aliens. All hail the Hufflepuffians!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Did... did Mookie just write a Blue Collar Race?

It's a bit disturbing how Mookie is writing class-based races. The Not-Turian beat cops keep an eye on the hordes of Grennons who do the plumbing and construction work for the Space Bureaucrats

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Did... did Mookie just write a Blue Collar Race?

It's a bit disturbing how Mookie is writing class-based races. The Not-Turian beat cops keep an eye on the hordes of Grennons who do the plumbing and construction work for the Space Bureaucrats
    Maybe it will come up as a plot point, to teach everyone a lesson about class relations.

Do we actually know who the narrator is? This could just be some random joe off the street giving a description of the races. Imagine if you pulled a random American (or Chinese, or Egyptian, or whatever) person off the street and said 'describe to me what Italians are like. OK, now Australians. OK, now Russians'. You would probably get a list of wild stereotypes.

Yes, I realize this is Mookie so we aren't going to get anything interesting out of this, but whatever. I have to hold out hope.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-12-15 at 11:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe it will come up as a plot point, to teach everyone a lesson about class relations.

Do we actually know who the narrator is? This could just be some random joe off the street giving a description of the races. Imagine if you pulled a random American (or Chinese, or Egyptian, or whatever) person off the street and said 'describe to me what Italians are like. OK, now Australians. OK, now Russians'. You would probably get a list of wild stereotypes.

Yes, I realize this is Mookie so we aren't going to get anything interesting out of this, but whatever. I have to hold out hope.
    Races of the Millennium Federation: the Klopidians

Blah blah blah Mookie text they're a race of nerdy people who like writing documentation about everything, often using sweeping generalizations to keep the articles short and simple. Their most famous project is Races of the Millennium Federation. Blah blah blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Races of the Millennium Federation: the Klopidians

Blah blah blah Mookie text they're a race of nerdy people who like writing documentation about everything, often using sweeping generalizations to keep the articles short and simple. Their most famous project is Races of the Millennium Federation. Blah blah blah.
    This would be an amazing entry, nice work

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

This would be an amazing entry, nice work
    Certainly much better than the new one... Though, I guess I do appreciate the effort (i.e. him trying to do something funny)
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I could have done without the inclusion of TEE.HEE in the error message.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Certainly much better than the new one... Though, I guess I do appreciate the effort (i.e. him trying to do something funny)
    What a sourpuss!

No, this is by far the best of Mookie's entries because (1) it did something unexpected and (2) he uses less than a sledgehammer to apply the joke.

I'm giving Mookie kudos for this one.

Although, I wouldn't mind if nearly every new race didn't have to be part of S^6's security force. But that's a nitpick.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Double Post For Posterity

New art!
    Comedy in description!

Perhaps Mookie is finally understanding his talents.

...nah, he just ran out of races to steal and is now cracking jokes.

Still, an improvement

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #383
    Orc in the Playground

"Hydrolax: for when your water retention reaches 'magestic' proportions."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

An ancient alien race which's spelling error/pun translates perfectly well into English! Also, where monarchy actually works. Maybe they didn't try that inbreeding stuff...
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I like to think that this species has been meticulous in editing out the bad kings and queens.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Okay, I must be really over-thinking this. What is the joke with the Hydrolaxian Mage Lords?

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    Okay, I must be really over-thinking this. What is the joke with the Hydrolaxian Mage Lords?
    Magesty not Majesty

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I was really over-thinking it. wow

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

Another whole page devoted to fictional racial slurs. What's the point? Why even come up with them? No one's using them in the comic.

This is like some weird running theme now. Remember how oddly proud Mookie seemed of coming up with the word 'piggart' in Dominic Deegan, and using it all the time for the orcs? And how many homophobic jerks and jocks there were, using all kinds of weird slurs? It's almost like at one point, Mookie got "create fictional racism and slurs" confused with worldbuilding, and just ran with it.

That would explain Maltak, at least. It's not MEANT to be a functioning society, and never was. It was deliberately created for the sole reason of generating fictional racism by being as dysfunctional as possible. (Also so Dominic could look virtuous by Not Being A Racist and getting to tell people off.) And hey--it worked. Maltak is a mess, and orcs are terrible, terrible people.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, they really told those Graidan off.