New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Edge of the Empire General Discussion Thread

Anyone here play Edge of the Empire or have any thoughts on it? I'm picking up the stater set and we're going to try it out this weekend.

Last edited by Invader; 2014-10-09 at 09:13 PM.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Thoughts on Edge of the Empire?

Edge of the Empire is the best system to run your Firefly campaign on, but if you actually want to play Star Wars, you should play Saga Edition instead.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It is an amazing system as long as you and your GM are mentlly flexible enough to realize it's potential.

Your first thought when missing with 3+ advantage (or a triumph) should be to look at whats around your target, and suggest something spectacular to have happened that makes the enemy's life difficult.
    Destiny points are best when they flow back and forth between player and GM constantly. Remind the DM that he can make your life more difficult with them, so you have more to play with.
    Combat rounds are a full minute of action- being in cover for that minute is far safer than standing out in the open.
    Mentally replace "threat" on the dice with "Complications" A success with minor (1) to catastrophic (5+) complications is easier to wrap your head around.
    Force users take so much XP to become badass, that your non force users are just as badass when they get that far. But high power Jedi are still badass.
    Brawn 5 droids are the PC equivilant of That Damn Crab- so hit him is his weakness, Agility and social skills. perhaps his next character will be more balanced.
    Your stats do not affect how hard you are to hit- only cover, Armor Defence Rating, and Talents modify the attack roll. Brawn and Armor Soak reduce damage after you get hit.
    Purple dice are how hard something is, Red dice is how dangerous it is, black dice are how much life hates you (enviromental penalties) as you try to do it. Many GMs confuse black and purple dice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Edge of the Empire is the best system to run your Firefly campaign on, but if you actually want to play Star Wars, you should play Saga Edition instead.
    I disagree and think you should feel bad. Saga is the best level based D20 system, but it is not star wars.

Edge, you will rewatch the movies and know what each of the players rolled for their mistakes. "That should hold them off.""Wheres the controls?" "Uh, I think I just blasted them." is a simple Success with Complications, for instance.
    The Death Star trench run shows off Age of Rebelion's Squadron rules, both for the good guys and bad. (yes, Biggs and wedge were minions. Wedge didnt get raised to NPC level till ESB. Dack was totally a minion.)
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-09-16 at 01:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Agree that Edge of the Empire has Firefly-like qualities should you want to run your games that way, never got into Saga enough to support that claim although I gave my books to a friend and he has always run WEG Star Wars and not Saga but that might be simply because he has the choice didn't stop him running the One Ring though!

Age of Rebellion is something I'm just trying to figure out and the Force & Destiny Beta is being released soon so you can test out the waters for Force Users but for now enjoy the Beginner box set!

Have a look at the Fantasy Flight Games Forum you'll find lots of discussion threads and even one on this starter set which you'll find useful!

On second thoughts start here instead!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    It is an amazing system as long as you and your GM are mentlly flexible enough to realize it's potential.

Your first thought when missing with 3+ advantage (or a triumph) should be to look at whats around your target, and suggest something spectacular to have happened that makes the enemy's life difficult.
    Destiny points are best when they flow back and forth between player and GM constantly. Remind the DM that he can make your life more difficult with them, so you have more to play with.
    Combat rounds are a full minute of action- being in cover for that minute is far safer than standing out in the open.
    Mentally replace "threat" on the dice with "Complications" A success with minor (1) to catastrophic (5+) complications is easier to wrap your head around.
    Force users take so much XP to become badass, that your non force users are just as badass when they get that far. But high power Jedi are still badass.
    Brawn 5 droids are the PC equivilant of That Damn Crab- so hit him is his weakness, Agility and social skills. perhaps his next character will be more balanced.
    Your stats do not affect how hard you are to hit- only cover, Armor Defence Rating, and Talents modify the attack roll. Brawn and Armor Soak reduce damage after you get hit.
    Purple dice are how hard something is, Red dice is how dangerous it is, black dice are how much life hates you (enviromental penalties) as you try to do it. Many GMs confuse black and purple dice.
    That sounds pretty epic. I've played quite a bit of D20 Star Wars from the first edition D20 Star Wars, Revised and Saga. I kind of want to try a non D20 Star Wars. Is Edge of Empire a fairly easy system to get the hang of?
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble Jack View Post
    That sounds pretty epic. I've played quite a bit of D20 Star Wars from the first edition D20 Star Wars, Revised and Saga. I kind of want to try a non D20 Star Wars. Is Edge of Empire a fairly easy system to get the hang of?
    Pretty easy once you understand the dice system.

There are 7 custom, color coded dice used in this system, plus a d100 used for certian charts like critical hits.
    : 1eA+1eB+1eP+1eD+1eC+1eS+1eF 1 failure, 4 advantage, 2 Light Side

The green, blue and yellow dice give successes and advantages, while the purple, red and black dice give failures and complications. The white die is the balance of the force- totaling all it's faces together, there are 8 white pips and 8 dark pips, but they are broken down such that you are more likely to roll darkness (1 double darkside face, and 6 single darks) but when you DO roll the light, it is usually stronger. (3 double light faces, 2 single lights)

An unskilled check is a characteristic (Brawn, Agility, Intelect, Cunning, Willpower, Presence) in green dice vs a difficulty in purple dice.
    : 3eA+2eD 1 failure, 1 advantage

As you gain skill, you replace green dice with the more powerful yellow dice, one per skill rank: for instance, 3 agility and 2 ranks in Ranged: Light
    : 2eP+1eA+2eD 1 success, 1 advantage

Ofcource, there's smaller, situational modifiers that may affect your roll- it may be dark (black), the other guy might be in cover (black), but you could be aiming (blue) and have a more accurae weapon (blue). All these get added to the roll.
    : 2eP+1eA+2eD+2eS+2eB 2 successes, 1 threat, 1 Triumph

Yellow dice have a triumph symbol, that functons as a sort of critical success. The more yellows you roll, the more likely you are to get one. (Note that you can get a triumph and still fail the check- Jarjar gives us plenty of exampes of this.)

If what you're trying is particularly dangerous, however, the GM may decide to upgrade your purple dice to red dice. Red dice are the negative equivilant to yellows, and have a Despair symbol on them, a sort of critical failure. If your plan calls for rolling against 3 red dice, you may want to rethink your plan before someone gets hurt.

Successes and failure are fairly self explanetory, except that if they cancel out completely its a basic failure- you need net successes to succede, not just to avoid failure.
    Advantages and Complications are the real meat of the system. If someone rolls a failure with 1 complication, the rules say you take a point of strain damage. What it doesnt say is HOW you took that strain, and you are encouraged, bith as a player and GM, to come up with cool and cinematic things for even the most mundane advantages and complications. Perhaps the untrained civilian didnt know the blaster would kick, and bonked himself in the head, or perhaps he spent the round panicking as he fumbles with the saftey, squacking loudly as blaster bolts wiz by his ear. Or perhaps your more badass than that, and a glancing hit scorches your gun arm throwing off your shot, and you swat out the flames with your hat before returning to the fight. Mechanically, all of them rolled the same thing, but they reflected their character in how they resolved it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Firefly (not Serenity) is pretty good for running Firefly campaigns in - and for running Ghostbusters or Police Academy.

Edge of Empire is Star Wars: A New Hope, not The Phantom Menace or the Expanded Universe. As long as you're OK with force users being about as powerful as Luke in TPM you'll be good. (Each successive book bumps the Jedi up a film - Saga is Kevin J Anderson's Jedi).

Yes. You just need to learn what the symbols on the dice mean and it becomes easy - and get used to throwing around the 6 siders like water. "That's cool. Have a good d6".
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Pretty easy once you understand the dice system.

There are 7 custom, color coded dice used in this system, plus a d100 used for certian charts like critical hits.
    : 1eA+1eB+1eP+1eD+1eC+1eS+1eF 1 failure, 4 advantage, 2 Light Side

The green, blue and yellow dice give successes and advantages, while the purple, red and black dice give failures and complications. The white die is the balance of the force- totaling all it's faces together, there are 8 white pips and 8 dark pips, but they are broken down such that you are more likely to roll darkness (1 double darkside face, and 6 single darks) but when you DO roll the light, it is usually stronger. (3 double light faces, 2 single lights)

An unskilled check is a characteristic (Brawn, Agility, Intelect, Cunning, Willpower, Presence) in green dice vs a difficulty in purple dice.
    : 3eA+2eD 1 failure, 1 advantage

As you gain skill, you replace green dice with the more powerful yellow dice, one per skill rank: for instance, 3 agility and 2 ranks in Ranged: Light
    : 2eP+1eA+2eD 1 success, 1 advantage

Ofcource, there's smaller, situational modifiers that may affect your roll- it may be dark (black), the other guy might be in cover (black), but you could be aiming (blue) and have a more accurae weapon (blue). All these get added to the roll.
    : 2eP+1eA+2eD+2eS+2eB 2 successes, 1 threat, 1 Triumph

Yellow dice have a triumph symbol, that functons as a sort of critical success. The more yellows you roll, the more likely you are to get one. (Note that you can get a triumph and still fail the check- Jarjar gives us plenty of exampes of this.)

If what you're trying is particularly dangerous, however, the GM may decide to upgrade your purple dice to red dice. Red dice are the negative equivilant to yellows, and have a Despair symbol on them, a sort of critical failure. If your plan calls for rolling against 3 red dice, you may want to rethink your plan before someone gets hurt.

Successes and failure are fairly self explanetory, except that if they cancel out completely its a basic failure- you need net successes to succede, not just to avoid failure.
    Advantages and Complications are the real meat of the system. If someone rolls a failure with 1 complication, the rules say you take a point of strain damage. What it doesnt say is HOW you took that strain, and you are encouraged, bith as a player and GM, to come up with cool and cinematic things for even the most mundane advantages and complications. Perhaps the untrained civilian didnt know the blaster would kick, and bonked himself in the head, or perhaps he spent the round panicking as he fumbles with the saftey, squacking loudly as blaster bolts wiz by his ear. Or perhaps your more badass than that, and a glancing hit scorches your gun arm throwing off your shot, and you swat out the flames with your hat before returning to the fight. Mechanically, all of them rolled the same thing, but they reflected their character in how they resolved it.
    Thank you for that very detailed description, much appreciated. Seems like it might be fun to try with my group.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Before showing up at the game table, I suggest downloading the Star Wars Dice App for your phone or tablet- the more people who have it, the less the dice need to be passed around.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-09-16 at 07:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Edge of the Empire is my favorite roleplaying system by far. The dice are so intuitively helpful in creating a story with your players that I rarely need any prep work at all. I completely ad libbed a heist with three players, and it worked out wonderfully. The girl who only cares about combat got a shootout and a car chase, and the two guys who are really into carefully executed plans and RP managed to break into a high security office building owned by a crime syndicate and run off with tons of info after fattening up their bank accounts. It was a perfect, collaborative gaming experience that was facilitated by the dice system.

And it was so much freaking fun!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Just picked up my copy of Force and Destiny beta today. Anyone thinking of running a game soon?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Force and Destiny for both EotE and AoR?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    All 3 are supposed to be indpendent (but use the same rules).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

That's like asking if Age of Rebelion is for Edge of Empire.
    They use the same system, and are fully compatable (though F&D includes rules for starting at a higher, "Episode 1 obiwan" level, that lets you build Jango Fetts and equivilant characters, you can freely apply it back to the other games) but it's not "for" edge of empire any more tha they are "for" each other.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, okay. Another full $50 game book instead of just making another splat to focus on Jedi.

This is the one aspect of he game I can't stand. It's the same system, but Fantasy Flight wants to put out three basic sourcebooks that largely cover the same things.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Have my own Edge of Empire copy now, and I actually quite like the system. I saw the dice app, I may end up getting it anyway, I just prefer physically rolling dice over dice apps if I can get them. I will be hunting my local hobby shops down for the physical dice.

In a related note, I was thrown an interesting concept today by a player, whom had the idea of a Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer in it only for the fame and really wanted to turn their Bounty Hunting exploits into a Holonet show
    Last edited by Fumble Jack; 2014-09-18 at 08:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, okay. Another full $50 game book instead of just making another splat to focus on Jedi.

This is the one aspect of he game I can't stand. It's the same system, but Fantasy Flight wants to put out three basic sourcebooks that largely cover the same things.
    The approach has it's upsides, as Edge of Empire is like the core rules and 2 splats worth of Smuggler, Bounty hunter, and General Scum, all rolled into one book, at the cost of onlly a cursory view of Jedi and the Rebelion.
    Age of Rebelion has the same "Rules plus 2 splats worth" approach to the Rebelion- if you arnt interested in han solo or boba fett, you dont need to pick up the first "core book" at all, everything you need to play an awesoe campain of rebel activities is in Age of Rebelion.
    Force and Destiny offers 6 new carears, each with 3 specialties, new races, a new skill (lightssaber) and multiple weapons to use it, new powers, and over a hundred pages of lore and adversaries.

In a related note, I was thrown an interesting concept today by a player, whom had the idea of a Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer in it only for the fame and really wanted to turn their Bounty Hunting exploits into a Holonet show
    If he says the name "Mando Betts", tell him Rakados's holonetwork wants the rights to Jedi Hunters back.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-09-18 at 10:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It seems like they're making you pay 3 times for half the same material for each of the three main books. It's one of the things I'm not so keen on but I am excited to see the more random kind of fluid story telling you can get into with the advantage/disadvantage dice.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    It seems like they're making you pay 3 times for half the same material for each of the three main books. It's one of the things I'm not so keen on but I am excited to see the more random kind of fluid story telling you can get into with the advantage/disadvantage dice.
    I get the impression that you could just pick up Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion and simply run Star Wars from those two books only if you didn't want Jedi involved.

It really depends on what you want from the game, I've been running through various ideas for games not even involving Star Wars but using the FFG system and I suspect you could pull off any game with just one of the books.

I'm more wondering if the Force & Destiny beta is worth pursuing but later this week I'm hoping to pick up a copy to find out for myself!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm okay with it, because the only Star Wars I'm interested in running these days is covered by EotE. That said, I suspect that FFG is spending a LOT of money on the Star Wars games license, and they need to monetize their products as much as possible.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So buy one, have one friend buy another and another friend buy the third. Each of you has a core book at the table, and the party has acess to the full bredth of gaming options for a mixed game.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I actually had a great deal of fun not too long ago running Star Wars using the D6 System. The original West End Games Star Wars game used a version of the D6 system. Recently, all of the D6 system material produced in the latest resurrection of WEG was made available for free. It takes some adaptation, but if you like to put your own spin on things, it's fine.

It's also still possible to find copies of the WEG rules in hardback. I've seen the 1996 release (widely considered the best version) for $70 on Noble Knight Games, and it's available for around $30 from some retailers on Amazon. If you want a complete, non-d20-based Star Wars game, I'd look into that as an alternative to Fantasy Flight's version.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

My group has played through a few converted WEG modules using Edge of Empire...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone posted this in a related thread on another forum:

"
    Not sure if this has come up (may have missed it) but I posit a potential reason for the use of three compatible cores.

Back in the wotc days of the license, back in the 2000-2005 days, they had IIRC a restriction in their license that they could only produce 4 books per year related to the RPG. That was a single quarterly release. Now, looking back at the release schedule for EotE, this was about the release rate for those books over the last year and a half, or so.

When the first rebellion splat was announced, I was concerned that it would mean that an edge book wouldn't come out Q4 but then the hutt book was announced.

"What's the point?" you ask? Well, lets say that FFG's license prevents them from issuing more than one book per quarter, per game line. So rolling out the Cores as three separate games may give them more latitude regarding releases, and allow them to tailor their output better than making the system a single core release.

I have not knowledge of the FFG-lucas licensing arrangements. But if these are in anyway similar, then I would not surprised if something like this plays into the decision a little.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I've got so much stuff for Saga Edition (dozens of pages of NPC archetypes, D6 conversions from the old game for Vehicles and Vessels, and prebuilt squads and units) that changing systems really doesn't appeal to me.

But the local gaming group is talking about moving to this system... So, I guess I'm asking is it worth it to make a jump over or should I hold my ground and keep to Saga Edition?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a good system that not only allows but actively instigates the kind of "unintended consiquences" you see a lot in the movies. it has a lot more player involvement storytelling, and is intended as far more cinematic than simulationist.

Force users need over a hundrad XP (about 5-10 sessions) before they can really be considered Jedi... by which point, the Han Solos and Boba Fetts in the party are just as badass. If you want to play Starkiller... well, you'e going to need about a thousnd XP or so, and probably a few houserules.

Keep your saga books if you want to play out of the rebelion era- after all, setting and lore are system agnostic. I've ran throgh a few episdes of Dawn of Defiance with Edge of Empire, and it handled fine.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2014-09-23 at 08:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Rakaydos,

You seem like you're pretty familiar with the system. Are you able to make a fairly viable tech/slicer,gadget,mechanic type of character and still be viable in combat or are there certain things you'll have to take to be good in combat regardless of class?

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Rakaydos,

You seem like you're pretty familiar with the system. Are you able to make a fairly viable tech/slicer,gadget,mechanic type of character and still be viable in combat or are there certain things you'll have to take to be good in combat regardless of class?
    It's absolutely possible. You can just choose to put experience into your Ranged (Light) skill and you'll be perfectly capable in a shootout. Fight smart, and you'll be fine.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It's absolutely possible. You can just choose to put experience into your Ranged (Light) skill and you'll be perfectly capable in a shootout. Fight smart, and you'll be fine.
    Are there options to pull of all those things I mentioned? I know from looking at SAGA there were some fears that lent themselves to that kind of character but over all it felt fairly underwhelming if you wanted to play a character that relied on control, droids, gadgets, explosives, etc.

I really need just buy the book and get some PDFs lol.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!