New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Edge of the Empire General Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    It was a Clone Wars game, with brand new Jedi "Generals" (high starting XP, but it wasnt very broadly spent) being sent to protect a minor hyperlane in the corellian sector under sepratist threat.

They emerge into the Corellia system to get local information, to see Sepratist scout ships pursuing a freighter. the Corellian Fleet Commad, meanwhile, orders them to stand off- the fleet needs to get into position, to catch the scout ships before they flee and report to Grevius. Save the freighter, or stand by and let the Fleet carry through their plan, at the cost of civilian life?
    As a fellow Gm I'd be a little upset that the game dropped at that point. As a player though I would have liked the character development that situation
    would have brought out had it continued.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Noticed someone else posted a thread regarding both Edge & F&D. However since this is a general thread, wouldn't it represent discussion for all 3 core games? Edge/Age/ F&D?
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Yea, I pointed it out early, but the thread keeps going on. :p

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Wht kind of charcters would you put together for a Force and Destiny game?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

My first character in F&D is a Shien Expert, heading for Djem So and Falling Avalanche.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If I were to be a player once more, I like the Seeker fluff & probably the pathfinder specialization might be my first pick. I like the helpful, survivalist explorer angle.

7. - Top - End - #127

Just as points of balance:

How much XP would it take, in general, to model:

Prequel Padawan:
    Prequel Knight:
    Prequel Master:
    ESB Luke
    ROTJ Luke

(this figures that ANH Luke can be represented by a beginning or near beginning character...)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242;185115http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/128647-ybtc-2-luke-skywalker/62
    Just as points of balance:

How much XP would it take, in general, to model:

Prequel Padawan:
    Prequel Knight:
    Prequel Master:
    ESB Luke
    ROTJ Luke

(this figures that ANH Luke can be represented by a beginning or near beginning character...)
    For Luke this might help: http://community.fantasyflightgames....uke-skywalker/

As for the others, it kind of depends. Way I might see it. Prequel era padawan trained at the temple, should be able to handle a bit. They wouldn't have a secondary specialization, & may have talents up to the second line of their career specialization tree, as well as some rudimentary knowledge in the one of the force power trees.

A knight would be more skilled, may have a secondary specialization, pending on whether they recently became a knight or have been one for a while, could mean they may be completing the third row of their first specialization or somewhere on the fourth. They would have greater control over a Force Power talent tree & may have delved into another.

As for a Master, highly skilled, definitely would have the talent that improves their force rating so they might have fully completed their first specialization tree entirely, may be halfway through a secondary specialization & might have a tertiary.
    They would have one or two Force Power trees fully mastered.

This is just my opinion of how I could picture it. I can't give exact xp totals because there may be variations on the type of character being built. Neither do you have to go as linearly as I put it. It is however meant to give an idea where to estimate the experience level might be around.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Having had players throw together 500 XP jedi for a clone was game.... they were not masters yet. But then, they were pretty focused on being badass in combat.... which never came up before the game selfdestructed.

150 XP handles The Phantom Menace well.

10. - Top - End - #130

Hmmm. According to that thread, Luke has 195 XP (70 over normal) by the end of Episode 4. And has a Force Rating of 2.

I'll have to keep that in mind for other games I participate in or run. Nothing is as important as FR2
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2014-12-10 at 04:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Hmmm. According to that thread, Luke has 195 XP (70 over normal) by the end of Episode 4. And has a Force Rating of 2.

I'll have to keep that in mind for other games I participate in or run. Nothing is as important as FR2
    And he still rolled poorly at the start of ESB, to pull his saber from the snow...

But yea. If the jedi has enough XP to be epic, Boba Fett can keep up with him with the same XP, without any force powers.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This may also be of relevance towards getting a higher Fr : http://community.fantasyflightgames....-force-rating/

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What are some species and/or creatures that aren't in the three cores or any of the other sourcebooks, that you have used for your games?

In my case it's the Mutandans thanks to help from fellow posters.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm playing a Shistivastan in my main EoE game.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm playing a Shistivastan in my main EoE game.

Do you mean this? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shistavanen
    and if so cool.

My play group decided on a one shot of F&D with the pregenned characters they give you with the beta. Their morality became questionable early on. Though for the player, running the Warrior, they interpreted her as jedi batman.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble Jack View Post
    Do you mean this? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shistavanen
    and if so cool.

My play group decided on a one shot of F&D with the pregenned characters they give you with the beta. Their morality became questionable early on. Though for the player, running the Warrior, they interpreted her as jedi batman.
    Using the force at low force ratings is an eternal balance between "Do or do not, there is no try" and "Start down the quick and easy path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Refusing to use dark pips at all is the first, relying on them is the second.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Using the force at low force ratings is an eternal balance between "Do or do not, there is no try" and "Start down the quick and easy path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Refusing to use dark pips at all is the first, relying on them is the second.
    In case of my group, I wasn't referring to them using the force. They became a bit morally questionable when they were trying to pry answers from an Npc. No the npc was not hostile. However when force powers did come up, they didn't shy away from having to use the pull of the dark side if it came up that way.

18. - Top - End - #138

I have learned wisdom. And that wisdom is, only a friggin' moron doesn't make a Beeline for FR2 just as quick as he can. One Force Die is just too damn annoying for anyone trying to cleave to the Light.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    I have learned wisdom. And that wisdom is, only a friggin' moron doesn't make a Beeline for FR2 just as quick as he can. One Force Die is just too damn annoying for anyone trying to cleave to the Light.
    Such sad devotion to an ancient religion. Hooky weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side!

20. - Top - End - #140

And while you chill out in carbonite, I'll keep my delusions of grandeur. :P

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So it looks like we might finally be starting soon so my question is of the three core settings/books which is your favorite and why?

Bonus question - what's your favorite module regardless of setting?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Although, I enjoy a military campaigns and have played in my fair share of them, Edge of the Empire is my favorite core setting because you're playing outlaws, on the run from "the Man", or whatever else you want to say. It reminds me of the Firefly/Serenity 'verse in a way where you are on the edge of being lost in the black. Not quite as gritty, but you can play a whole campaign about folks just trying to make it in the universe.

I really like the Edge of the Empire Beginner's Set adventure ... Escape from Mos Shutta (I think that's the name =) ... because it was the one I cut my teeth on. I've run in a number of times for various groups, all finishing it in a different way believe it or not.

Dizlag

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dizlag View Post
    Although, I enjoy a military campaigns and have played in my fair share of them, Edge of the Empire is my favorite core setting because you're playing outlaws, on the run from "the Man", or whatever else you want to say. It reminds me of the Firefly/Serenity 'verse in a way where you are on the edge of being lost in the black. Not quite as gritty, but you can play a whole campaign about folks just trying to make it in the universe.

I really like the Edge of the Empire Beginner's Set adventure ... Escape from Mos Shutta (I think that's the name =) ... because it was the one I cut my teeth on. I've run in a number of times for various groups, all finishing it in a different way believe it or not.

Dizlag
    Both beginner sets are really well done. I've run the Age of Rebelion starter for at least 5 different groups of players (at cons, and such) and EVERY one of them played through it differently.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It seems like my group is most interested in force users so I might be picking up the beta of force and destiny.

I do have the beginner set but I'll need something that lasts a little longer.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Both beginner sets are really well done. I've run the Age of Rebelion starter for at least 5 different groups of players (at cons, and such) and EVERY one of them played through it differently.
    Unfortunately, I haven't played or even run the Age of Rebellion Starter yet. Although, I've listened to a couple of different live play podcasts for it ... each turning out different too. And I agree, they are very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    It seems like my group is most interested in force users so I might be picking up the beta of force and destiny.

I do have the beginner set but I'll need something that lasts a little longer.
    If you're going to pick up the Force and Destiny beta, then you'll want the final Beta Update as well.

They have enough in there to keep your game going for awhile.

Enjoy!

Dizlag

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

My group likes to mix things up, personally I like the gritty nature of Edge games.

27. - Top - End - #147

I just use F&D to set things in either Clone Wars or JA/NJO and call it good.

My players seem to prefer NJO due to 'jedi can marry now!' Under Yoda, not so much.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

This is a game I greatly enjoyed a couple years ago, when a buddy picked up the starter set. I finally sprung for the Edge core book.

Why'd it take so long? Because my usual gaming group are SAGA snobs. X.x They practically laughed when I suggested we try Edge. Some excuses about "no jedi" and "dice cash grabs". It's not like I don't enjoy SAGA, but it's not the end-all-be-all. That session of Edge I played was something special, so I think FFG really hit something good from a cinematic gaming POV. Heck, the special dice are a neat visual shorthand for an interesting mechanic, so I can deal with a little extra money investment.

I'm suffering major D20 system fatigue, so this may actually get me to run something again. I'm veering more non-simulationist anyway, as of late. With F&D coming out, it may also have enough mainstream Star Wars in it to entice a few more players.

I just have a few questions for those who have run or played the system:

How easy is it to reskin for non-Rebellion era? It seems like a bit of refluffing may be in order, but at least SW's typical technological stasis may work in my favor with such a light system. The problem is, I think the KotOR Era (the favorite of many of my friends) may be a bit too far removed. Anyone attempted to convert that drastically?

Also, do Force and Destiny characters play nice with others from the core EotE book?

Finally, what's the benefit of getting AoR? I get that it has a lot of Rebellion fluff, but am I to assume the classes are better suited as soldiering and military types, as opposed to the scoundrels and rogues of EotE? Is there a lot of overlap, in terms of party role?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2015-01-27 at 02:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiling_Squid View Post

How easy is it to reskin for non-Rebellion era? It seems like a bit of refluffing may be in order, but at least SW's typical technological stasis may work in my favor with such a light system. The problem is, I think the KotOR Era (the favorite of many of my friends) may be a bit too far removed. Anyone attempted to convert that drastically?

Also, do Force and Destiny characters play nice with others from the core EotE book?
    You miss out on the lore support, but the mechanics can be refluffed to other eras easilly enough. Unless yo want to start at "scruffy farmboy" level, though, you should probably start somewhere above startng XP. If you want jedi that feel like jedi, I suggest using the Advanced Charaters rules from F&D- starting with 150 XP after character creation and 9000c (which can be spent on a non-upgraded F&D Lightsaber). These let you build your Episode 1 Obi Wan, or it lets you build your Mando Warrior who doesnt need a hooky religion to contribute.

Finally, what's the benefit of getting AoR? I get that it has a lot of Rebellion fluff, but am I to assume the classes are better suited as soldiering and military types, as opposed to the scoundrels and rogues of EotE? Is there a lot of overlap, in terms of party role?
    Thanks!
    Yes, AoR's classes are more military in focus. While there is some small amount of overlap, in general AoR classes are more offensive in nature compared to EoE's Social focus. (And the Force and Destiny classes are generally more defensive in nature.) There's role overlap between a Edge Outlaw Tech and an AoR Engineer Scientist (or Bounty Hunter Gageteer and Ace Rigger, of you get the Ace splatbook) but the differeences are significant even then. The Ace Pilot and the Scoundrel Pilot is the most obvious overlap, as it's the same specialty chart but the Ace's different class skills (and eventually Signature abilities, once you almost fill the class) give it a different focus.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks for the help! Lack of fluff is no big deal, since I've got Wookieepedia at my fingertips. The hardest part may simply be the lack of stats for NPCS and ships of the era. It seems that existing stats can be repurposed and tweaked, at least.

And I will likely have to pick up AoR, too. Military characters are a good asset to have.