New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Edge of the Empire General Discussion Thread

So I've just finished running a short AoR game for some friends (there's an Actual Play thread over on RPGnet for anyone interested) and I've noticed a strange omission from the rules.

Anyone know what the guidelines are for increasing Duty through play? It's not listed as something you can buy with XP.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Generally, it's granted in play- 3 or 5 per time a duty-related situation comes up at the table.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

so, lords of Nal Hutta has rules for playable hutts.

Young ones. Who look up at the hutt clan structure and see a bunch of older, more powerful hutts that will take centuries to die off. Sometimes the only way up is to start at the bottom.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    so, lords of Nal Hutta has rules for playable hutts.

Young ones. Who look up at the hutt clan structure and see a bunch of older, more powerful hutts that will take centuries to die off. Sometimes the only way up is to start at the bottom.
    Well that certainly seems like a story hook heh.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In all seriousness, I think it would be interesting to play a young hutt as they try to etch out a name for themselves, and claim a spot amongst the older established hutts.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

From the books, Edge/Age/F&D and any sourcebooks, are there any printed npc's you feel are a bit more difficult than they should be?

Of the books I have, I still think the Defel Assassin in Edge with his 3 Challenge dice is a bit strong, again he is a nemesis.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the adventures my group ran through had some kind of drug-hopped commandos that had Adversary 2... and came at the party in a large group. I dont know the adventure, though.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of the adventures my group ran through had some kind of drug-hopped commandos that had Adversary 2... and came at the party in a large group. I dont know the adventure, though.
    That sounds like something a group should run from, did they survive that or did it end up a tpk?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering my party is about at +310 XP by now, we managed to pull off a victory. But the GM mentioned that the module was written for "normal" games- and HE didnt see how a normal group is expected to get past them to their ship.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Still prepping to run my first game of Edge.

Anyone seen Fly Casual, BTW? Got to flip through it at my FLGS, and I spotted rules for quickdraw western-style showdowns, hyperspace travel times, smuggling runs, another gambling game (Sabaac was already in Suns, I think)...

Looks like a damn useful supplement, one of the best so far. If the group likes the system, I may have to pick it up.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Has anyone played Onslaught at Orda? Is it any good and would it take a ton of conversion to switch it around and have the PCs actually making the assault?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Considering my party is about at +310 XP by now, we managed to pull off a victory. But the GM mentioned that the module was written for "normal" games- and HE didnt see how a normal group is expected to get past them to their ship.
    Unless there is a way to plan ahead for dealing with a sizable group within the adventure, I'm kind of seeing it as a suicide run for normal characters myself. Now I'm curious which adventure this is.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Has anyone played Onslaught at Orda? Is it any good and would it take a ton of conversion to switch it around and have the PCs actually making the assault?
    Don't know if this helps or not : http:// http://starwars.wikia.com/wi...ught_at_Arda_I

I haven't had the chance to pick up the module.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

An Inquisitor has called you together. The Emperor is dead, or soon will be, the echos of which ripple through the force. But he had secrets that the Inquisitor wants, secured against his or his compatriates- he has gathered you to aquire them for him.

Knight Level, Characters must have a force rating. No Lightsabers, no Jedi... but ANY OTHER force tradition (Witch, Jennsari, Findsman, ect) is valid.

What would you want to play?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Are there guidelines for operating costs for ships anywhere? Fuel, maintenance, etc.?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

An Inquisitor has called you together. The Emperor is dead, or soon will be, the echos of which ripple through the force. But he had secrets that the Inquisitor wants, secured against his or his compatriates- he has gathered you to aquire them for him.

Knight Level, Characters must have a force rating. No Lightsabers, no Jedi... but ANY OTHER force tradition (Witch, Jennsari, Findsman, ect) is valid.

What would you want to play?
    Findsman would be handy or probably a Voss Mystic depending on the scale of their healing.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are there guidelines for operating costs for ships anywhere? Fuel, maintenance, etc.?
    Found this http://nashable.net/?p=260 and this

https://community.fantasyflightgames...erating-costs/
    Hope it helps

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble Jack View Post
    It does quite a bit, thank you.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It does quite a bit, thank you.
    Welcome, glad I could help.

I have a player whom has asked what Miraluka might be like considering it as a possibility for F&D. While I have the beta, I think I want to wait & see what other species might be made available after the official F&D core comes out. At the moment I'm not sure how best to stat them out.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Welcome, glad I could help.

I have a player whom has asked what Miraluka might be like considering it as a possibility for F&D. While I have the beta, I think I want to wait & see what other species might be made available after the official F&D core comes out. At the moment I'm not sure how best to stat them out.
    It's not official but I plan on using this for my players and although Miraluka aren't included a ton of other races are.

http://www.d20radio.com/content/EOTE..._menagerie.pdf
    Last edited by Invader; 2015-04-07 at 07:49 PM.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's not official but I plan on using this for my players and although Miraluka aren't included a ton of other races are.

http://www.d20radio.com/content/EOTE..._menagerie.pdf
    Ah, thank you. My players & I will certainly make use of this.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A question for GM's & players of Edge/Age/F&D. Would you allow for younger player characters in your games & how would you have that affect their characteristics? Examples such as Mission Vao in Kotor games, whom was a highly skilled slicer, but also a young teenager. Is there an age chart for the games anywhere?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

A question for GM's & players of Edge/Age/F&D. Would you allow for younger player characters in your games & how would you have that affect their characteristics? Examples such as Mission Vao in Kotor games, whom was a highly skilled slicer, but also a young teenager. Is there an age chart for the games anywhere?
    I suggest glaring at your players and telling them not to give a 5 year old a brawn of 4 without a solid explanation.

But if George L gets to play a 10 year old force sensitive slave with a speeder he cobbled together out of parts in a knight level game, and Walt D gets Ezira, there's no reason to punish players just walnting to follow in their footsteps.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I don't see much of a problem with it. There's abundant examples of children/young adults that are faster/stronger/smarter that your average adult.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

is that kid stronger than R2D2 or C3P0? Brawn 2.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I am just starting to get into this game, and it is really interesting. I am having issues with some of the talents, in that they are insultingly useless. At least D&D's much-maligned Dodge feat really does improve some of your armor class-some of the Edge talents, at least upon first inspection, seem to make you worse if you try using them.

The worst offenders I have noticed so far are:

Disorient: You don't need the talent in order to spend two advantage to add a setback to your opponent's next check. And it is incredibly rare to make more than one skill check a turn, so a single rank in this talent is just a point sink. And the XP it takes to cherry-pick two ranks is enough to just upgrade your combat skill so you can just keep reliably scoring two advantage on every attack.

Knockdown: Again, you can already do this without the talent. In fact, knocking the target prone is one of the weakest possible uses for a triumph. If you want to make your opponent easier to beat up, upgrade either your next check or the difficulty of his next check, which is a more substantial edge, and one that can't be eliminated by a simple maneuver, or even an incidental if the guy has the Jump Up talent. If you want to keep him from escaping, then use the triumph to hobble him, which will slow him down a lot more.

Precise Aim: The maneuver requirement on this piece of junk requires me to compare it to aiming, which does not go well for the talent. First off, a boost die has 6 symbols on it, compared to 4 on a setback die, so all else being equal, I would rather add boost dice than remove setbacks, as I will statistically come out ahead that way. Therefore, a single rank is straight-up inferior to the basic Aim maneuver, even before I factor in you have to take strain to activate it. A second rank at least looks attractive, at least until I realize that for the two strain I have to suffer to use it, I could just take a second Aim maneuver and come out ahead with two boost and two setbacks against no additional dice. And not all targets even have two points of defense to negate. And I am expected to pay for this "privilege"? You could make it a standard combat maneuver and I still wouldn't touch it. THIS IS THE WORST TALENT IN THE GAME.

Brace: Has a most of the same problems Precise Aim does-it takes a maneuver, and removes setback dice, whereas just using the maneuver to aim adds superior boost dice. It manages to escape the depths of Precise Aim's suck by not causing strain, and being usable on any skill check, not just combat ones. Unfortunately, it only appears on the list of combat-heavy classes that do not have much in the way of non-combat skills, and is even more situational.

Is there something I'm missing that makes this talents not as useless as they look?
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Disorient: Honestly, I never noticed this talent. One thing it has over the normal 2 advantage is being able to stack- while you cant apply 2 black dice to one target with advantage, you can apply 1 with advantage and 1 with disorient. If you have more advantage to spend, you can stack Disorient's duration.

Knockdown is known to be weak.

I think they mixed up the strain cost between Precice aim and True aim. :p

In general, though, if you think a talent is bad, dont take it. Unlike D&D's feat chains, the talent tree usually sports multiple paths to where yu want to go.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Question: do you think Flight Fantasy is going to release any books on playing during the Clone Wars or will they stick with the original trilogy for a while?
    I made my name too long, so just call me "AsteronI."

Spoiler: WW story
    Show
    About to die as wolf.
    Claims mason.
    Gets counter-claimed
    Baner dies by auto-lynch

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by AsteronIronhoof View Post
    Question: do you think Flight Fantasy is going to release any books on playing during the Clone Wars or will they stick with the original trilogy for a while?
    Personally I'd rather seen an old republic setting before the clone wars. Original trilogy and clone wars are practically the same time period so there's not really going to be much difference between the two.

That being said I would expect them to start putting out some good supplements but not till late this year or more likely next year after Force and Destiny are totally rolled out.
    Last edited by Invader; 2015-04-25 at 08:56 PM.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect the most we can expect in the near future is a "Sepratist Remanants" AoR settingbook that talks about the clone wars, and a "Forgotten Lore" F&D book that talks about the OLD old republic.