New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: NSFW: Dwarven Women TOTALLY BEARDLESS!

No guys. Clearly dwarves and elves are in the same boat. Unless they go out of their way to FLAUNT their gender, dwarves and of either gender look interchangeable. Ergo, Durkon is actually female, and hiding it. So there's your refutation right there.
    From everybody. Including HPoH. Because she is Just That Sneaky.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Elves and dwarves are different genders of the same species.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by allenw View Post
    Stop cribbing my campaign notes!
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

4. - Top - End - #34

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
    Stop cribbing my campaign notes!
    Why? What's in them? Please tell us ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
    Paid for by the Rob U While U Sleep Inn
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As an humanoid race, it's safe to think that dwarves have gender dimorphism and a diferent hormonal coktel. Also i don't remember any Tolkien text where he said female dwarves have beard, he only suggest that humans never see female dwarves and asume they are all males.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Something that amazes me is that every time a discussion of whether or not female dwarves in 3.5 should have beards, the actual 3.5 books are almost completely ignored. People always talk about Tolkien, Dragonlance, Dwarf Fortress, but not the actual Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 books. In the Player's Handbook, page 14, it states "Dwarf men value their beards highly and groom them carefully." Emphasis mine. It makes no mention of dwarf women having facial hair. Races of Stone, page 7, states "While dwarven clothing options might seem staid and homogeneous when compared to those of the elves or humans, it is only because clothing has little value in their culture. Instead, the dwarves prize their hair, whether it is on their scalps (for both genders) or on their faces (for males)." This clearly indicates that at least as far is supplement material is concerned, female dwarves do not have beards.

Now, as I am sure anyone here would be happy to tell me, just because a book says it, does not mean you have to follow it. This is true. No matter what the books say, whether or not female dwarves have beards is ultimately a matter of fluff. Any DM can say "In my campaign, dwarf women have beards." Similarly, Rich could choose to say that female dwarves in OOTS have beards. However, he chose very early on to have female dwarves without beards. We could say "But Helga is odd case." And while that may be true, Durkon is one for tradition, and did not react to it at all. He thought Helga was a run of the mill dwarf until she said she didn't care about duty. For Rich to choose to have female dwarves with beards now would just break the internal consistency of the OOTSverse, and that would just be bad story telling.

"I am the machine that reveals the world to you as only I alone am able to see it." - Dziga Vertov

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

That's because the 3.5 books force dwarves to conform to humanocentric standards of beauty, instead of embracing their natural dwarfness. You find the beard-removal products at fantasy Walgreens next to the hair-straightening chemicals.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
    For Rich to choose to have female dwarves with beards now would just break the internal consistency of the OOTSverse, and that would just be bad story telling.
    As someone already pointed out, Start of Darkness has an explicit reference to a female dwarf with a beard, which hinges on a beard not being out of the ordinary for a female dwarf in the same way it would be for a female human. I don't expect Rich to ever draw a bearded female dwarf (though I wouldn't be amazed if he did), but one explicit "Yes, they can" statement trumps any number of "This one doesn't" statements.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    As someone already pointed out, Start of Darkness has an explicit reference to a female dwarf with a beard, which hinges on a beard not being out of the ordinary for a female dwarf in the same way it would be for a female human. I don't expect Rich to ever draw a bearded female dwarf (though I wouldn't be amazed if he did), but one explicit "Yes, they can" statement trumps any number of "This one doesn't" statements.
    I have pulled out my copy of SoD to review the scene in question

Spoiler: SoD Spoiler
    Show
    In the scene in question, a bearded female dwarf is shown as part of a freak show. One person in the audience says "That's just a female dwarf." and one person says "boo". Its literally just one panel.

The scene in question could be interpreted that way. It could also be taken to mean that people in the audience merely assumed it is not very unusual for dwarf women to have beards. As Rich has pointed out in the past, one character's point of view is not necessarily accurate in any way. What isn't open to interpretation is that its a one panel joke in a prequel book, making allusion to this very debate. Its hard to extrapolate accurate information about the OOTSverse from a single panel. It is my understanding that Rich writes the main comic assuming most people haven't read the prequel books. If that is the case, it does not make sense to try to make what seems to be a significant part of the online comic (I assume we're going to see a lot more of Durkon's memories) consistent with one panel in one prequel book, which probably 90% of the readers have not seen, rather than the rest of the online comic. It was still a good point to make however.

I am no longer saying "I'm right, and your wrong." It is certainly proof that if Rich decided to include other female dwarves with beards, it would not be unprecedented. It was my mistake to not check SoD after reading CaDzilla's post. All I remembered from the scene at first was that she was very specifically part of a freak show. What I think we can agree on, is that one fantasy setting's rules of dwarves clearly doesn't apply to another, which was the main point I was trying to make.
    Last edited by Petey7; 2014-09-17 at 10:19 PM.

"I am the machine that reveals the world to you as only I alone am able to see it." - Dziga Vertov

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Sigdi presence is working very well to make Durkon much more relatable and even human. It shows him having a family and a very strong, very relatable super-mom figure who could be in the army, over-come a disability, and be a loving capable mother and hostess. If she had a beard and looked like a man that would just look strange and totally distract from all her other qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Regarding SoD :

Spoiler
    Show
    I tend to think that it was little more than a joke, mostly because prior to that, all and every dwarven women we saw didn't have any sort of facial hair, starting with Hilga. That the humans comment about "it's just a dwarf woman" might also be nothing more that what we have with this thread : human assumption that dwarven women must have beards.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
    No matter what the books say, whether or not female dwarves have beards is ultimately a matter of fluff.
    I See What You Did There.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Rude people completely ignoring the joke.

I thought it was a Discworld reference, at first, but apparently I was wrong. I just really like Pratchett's portrayal of dwarven women. They're there, it's just really rude to point out their gender.

But it would be a little redundant to have both Varsuuvius and Discworld dwarfs in one setting, yes it would.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    IIRC, the dwarves in The Death Gate Cycle had beards. I am unaware of any hard and fast rule that says "Thou shalt not draw or describe female dwarves without beards", however.
    No, females dwarves had "side whiskers" which to me translates as long side burns. (Grundle was constantly shaking hers at Haplo)

The A series of AD&D modules featured a bearded female dwarf in several images, and even on a cover if I remember correctly. That being said, Rich (and anybody else) is certainly entitled to either or both versions in their worlds. (In my campaign, they get the side whiskers from Deathgate). I remember reading in someone's campaign that female dwarf beard hair was among the softest and silkiest hair anywhere in the world.

So all you chin-o-philes, go ahead and drool at the bare female chins shown in this comic! Everyone else? As you were!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Tolkien's line about female and male dwarves being similar in "garb" and "appearance" doesn't specifically mention beards. Female beards are a natural assumption based on the apparent ubiquity of male beards, but it isn't specifically stated. In the recent Hobbit movies, female dwarves are shown fleeing from Smaug, and this line was interpreted by giving the females very long sideburns or wispy beards along the jawline.

Tolkien's personal notes said that elves had leaf-shaped ears which were more "pointed."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

A relevant detail is that the garb seemed to include a cloak, so getting a good look could have not been all that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    No, females dwarves had "side whiskers" which to me translates as long side burns. (Grundle was constantly shaking hers at Haplo)
    Oh, yeah, that sounds right. I must have misremembered that as whiskers.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

The A series of AD&D modules featured a bearded female dwarf in several images, and even on a cover if I remember correctly. That being said, Rich (and anybody else) is certainly entitled to either or both versions in their worlds. (In my campaign, they get the side whiskers from Deathgate). I remember reading in someone's campaign that female dwarf beard hair was among the softest and silkiest hair anywhere in the world.

So all you chin-o-philes, go ahead and drool at the bare female chins shown in this comic! Everyone else? As you were!
    There's the Goblins webcomic.

Female dwarves do grow beards, but not in the same way that males do. Female beards are located at the bottom of the chin (they're not neck-beards) and don't grow very long. They're incredibly downy and considered by all to be the softest, most feminine hair any humanoid can grow. Most non-dwarves who are lucky enough to run a hand through a female dwarf's beard, quickly abandon any thoughts of the beard being purely masculine. Like the males of their species, the female dwarven beard takes much longer than the human beard to grow out, averaging one quarter inch per year. Female, dwarven beard hair is highly sought after and fetches a high price, especially among non-dwarves. There are legends of human men buying female, dwarven beard hair in a market and finding it to be so soft and beautiful, that they'd fall in love with the dwarven lady without ever meeting her. Also, some dwarven clans consider it perfectly legal for a female to kill a male for uttering that all too common "Gives me something to hang onto" line.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Does the NSFW in this case mean "Non-humans Seeking Furry Women"?
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by allenw View Post
    Also, gnomes are what you get if you leave out a key component of the dwarf diet (EtOH), and halflings are elf children. It's a complicated life cycle.