New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread 5!

So, what would be the optimal adverb preceding "right" for Aeons and "wrong" for Howdoihighlighttextthisissupposedtobeblack?

Gloriously? Wonderfully?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2014-09-18 at 11:45 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ever wondered why there's no evil counterpart to angels?
    I have and every attempt to get a reason from you has been met with less than encouraging replies.

Why are there no evil counterparts to angels? Or law, or chaotic ones for that matter?

I'll go back to lurking now.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Personally, I just shrugged and made solars and their ilk alignmentless and open to all gods. But that's Eldacanon.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Ever wondered why there's no evil counterpart to angels?
    Heh, you've been dangling that bait for a while now
    Though I still have to wonder whether it's possibly some additional plane or layer housing them (deep in homebrew territory).

Now who's the prisoner in Elysium.....so many powerful things the celestials would want to keep under wraps or have "disappeared" from the cosmology.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tovec View Post
    I have and every attempt to get a reason from you has been met with less than encouraging replies.

Why are there no evil counterparts to angels?
    Did I not just imply the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Now who's the prisoner in Elysium.....so many powerful things the celestials would want to keep under wraps or have "disappeared" from the cosmology.....
    I rather like my own personal headcanon on it... but canonically there's really nothing to work with.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Myself, I'm a fan of the theory that says that the Mystaran multiverse is the Great Wheel displaced in time. Specifically, it's the GW way back in the past. Is that theory yours, Fro? I vividly remember it from a past thread.
    Are you aware of the possibly-retconned-I-can't-remember thing from the Immortals box set where Mystara (or Urt the Megalith, I suppose?) is Earth from the Jurassic era?

Yeah, I can certainly see some support for Mystara being from a long long time ago.

(Let's ignore how Oerth's Earth is apparently the same one from X2 and Ed Greenwood goes drinking with the Wizards Three and whatnot. Mystara was always rather extremely schizophrenic.)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I rather like my own personal headcanon on it... but canonically there's really nothing to work with.
    Well sure, I know the Canon is [insert dm plot hook here], but you're headcanon tends to be fun, interesting, and have a base in Canon so its an interesting puzzle. A baernloth? An ancient baatorian? Possibly an old ruler of hell? The access point for Pandorym's body? Something from mythology? There's a big list of possibilities and its kind of a fun way to test Canon knowledge.

Or in other words, interested in playing 20 questions?
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tovec View Post
    Why are there no evil counterparts to angels?
    There used to be. They were sealed under the Ghoresh Chasm because of the Blood War. This isn't quite canon, but it's really close.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I don't know whether this falls within the scope of the thread or not, because it's not actually a question about canon, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Feel free to ignore it if it's not on topic.

In my setting, I found a couple of the canon Archdevils (essentially anyone who ruled Malbolge) to be dull and uninteresting, and also found Bensozia's death rather trite, so I elevated her to Lord of the Sixth. What I'm curious about, however, is what would happen if Bensozia remained entirely the same, but Levistus' attempt to kill her failed (for whatever reason).

What change in Baator would we see if we change this one variable, at least in your opinion, all other things being the same?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsZen View Post
    I don't know whether this falls within the scope of the thread or not, because it's not actually a question about canon, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Feel free to ignore it if it's not on topic.

In my setting, I found a couple of the canon Archdevils (essentially anyone who ruled Malbolge) to be dull and uninteresting, and also found Bensozia's death rather trite, so I elevated her to Lord of the Sixth. What I'm curious about, however, is what would happen if Bensozia remained entirely the same, but Levistus' attempt to kill her failed (for whatever reason).

What change in Baator would we see if we change this one variable, at least in your opinion, all other things being the same?
    Not sure what Afro's opinion on this would be, but it would seem to me not much would change. Remember, even if Levistus failed to kill her, consort or no, Asmodeus seems to like to run things pretty tight in Baator. There may be some changes to the Sixth layer (given she's governing it and all), but especially because she was/is his consort, Asmodeus would be strictly monitoring any activity of hers, and stepping in to take...corrective measures should she attempt to change anything in the broader scope of Baator that he does not approve of.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Or in other words, interested in playing 20 questions?
    That sounds fun. Bring it on!
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightwyrm View Post
    Not sure what Afro's opinion on this would be, but it would seem to me not much would change. Remember, even if Levistus failed to kill her, consort or no, Asmodeus seems to like to run things pretty tight in Baator. There may be some changes to the Sixth layer (given she's governing it and all), but especially because she was/is his consort, Asmodeus would be strictly monitoring any activity of hers, and stepping in to take...corrective measures should she attempt to change anything in the broader scope of Baator that he does not approve of.
    Well to be fair, I'm not asking about the ramifications of elevating Bensozia to Archdevil, just of her surviving Levistus' attempt on her life. The changes I made to Baator beyond Bensozia herself are sweeping, so any discussion of my Baator falls completely out of the scope of this thread.

I was largely curious whether this would have any effect on the War in Hell, whose actual name I can't recall, the one that resulted in the Hag Countess among other things, but if it changes any other dynamics, that's also interesting. It may be just too small to matter, tho.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Are you aware of the possibly-retconned-I-can't-remember thing
    Doesn't ring a bell, but then I have a tendency to ignore things involving "real Earth."

Yeah, I can certainly see some support for Mystara being from a long long time ago.
    The canon gives support for the concept that 1E was a past configuration of the multiverse, or contained within it the past; 2E was a large swath of material beyond that, and 3E has been only pretty recent.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsZen View Post
    I don't know whether this falls within the scope of the thread or not
    Just about anything does, really.

In my setting, I found a couple of the canon Archdevils (essentially anyone who ruled Malbolge) to be dull and uninteresting
    That's probably because they're dull and uninteresting. Malbolge is really boring as Hells go.

What I'm curious about, however, is what would happen if Bensozia remained entirely the same, but Levistus' attempt to kill her failed (for whatever reason).

Levistus would be all kinds of hilariously dead. Geryon would probably continue to rule over Stygia. Glasya wouldn't have her own layer... yet.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds fun. Bring it on!
    Hehe, I thought so too!

Q1: Does it originate in 2e or later editions?
    Q2: Does it originate from a specific campaign setting other than Planescape?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Hehe, I thought so too!

Q1: Does it originate in 2e or later editions?
    Not sure how to answer.

Q2: Does it originate from a specific campaign setting other than Planescape?
    No.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure how to answer.
    Hmmm, so do we call these wasted questions or allow for revised questions? If the former, okay, not a problem. If the latter: revised Q1: Is it's first D&D appearance in 2e or later editions?

I'll throw up more questions once we figure out the rule for non-answerable questions.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Q1: Is it's first D&D appearance in 2e or later editions?
    Not sure how to answer.

If it's a non-answer, you get to go again.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure how to answer.

If it's a non-answer, you get to go again.
    Okay. Revised-revised-Q1: Does it originate from D&D?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Revised-revised-Q1: Does it originate from D&D?
    Not sure how to answer.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2014-09-19 at 03:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure how to answer.
    Huh, okay.....last question before I switch tracks completely then. Is it from real world mythology?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, okay.....last question before I switch tracks completely then. Is it from real world mythology?
    I'm going to try answering no. I think I can safely say no.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to try answering no. I think I can safely say no.
    Okay, phew, that was more difficult than I expected.

Q3: Does it originally hail from the lower planes?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Q3: Does it originally hail from the lower planes?
    No. Still no...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q4: Does it predate the Great Wheel?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Q4: Does it predate the Great Wheel?
    Hope Brookshw is okay with people stealing his questions.

No.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

smile Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread 5!

Hope Brookshw is okay with people stealing his questions.
    Sure, 20 questions is usually a group game after all.

Q5. Is it from an inner or transitive plane?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, 20 questions is usually a group game after all.

Q5. Is it from an inner or transitive plane?
    Nope. Try again.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. Try again.
    Hmmmm,.....so prime, upper, or neutral plane unless maybe predating the great wheel which it doesn't which should preclude many divine elements, old ones etc, nothing from a setting book (thank gods) unless its planescape. Divide by zero on two origination questions. Not from real world mythology. Could be from a non plane but I think most predate the great wheel,.....sorta.

Okay then, I feel a bit silly but,

Q6: Is it a creature?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm,.....so prime, upper, or neutral plane unless maybe predating the great wheel which it doesn't which should preclude many divine elements, old ones etc, nothing from a setting book (thank gods) unless its planescape. Divide by zero on two origination questions. Not from real world mythology. Could be from a non plane but I think most predate the great wheel,.....sorta.

Okay then, I feel a bit silly but,

Q6: Is it a creature?
    Yes! Hooray, we're off to a better start!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I was going to ask exactly the same question as Q6, Brook! XD

Very stupid Q7: is it usually regarded as a male?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2014-09-20 at 06:25 AM.