New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Orc stats (fyi they suuuuuuuuuuuck)

Seriously what is with those orc stats? -2 int, wis, and cha?? seems a tad overkill especially since you only get darkvision and +4 str, as well as the fact that you need to suck light sensitivity. The worst part is is that half orcs get it even worse as they dont even get a free weapon prof out of it.

I know that WotC has this burning hatred for "ugly" races, but this just seems nuts.

So how can we fix orcs and half orcs to bring them in line with the power level of say, dwarves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Orc stats (fyi they suuuuuuuuuuuck)

Their favored class is Barbarian, what do they need the mind stats for?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

+4 to str is pretty nice.

In the lower levels, 1-4 (maybe 6) it makes orcs pretty deadly.

To make them more in line with a dwarf, I'd take the dwarf base and change it as such:

30ft. base speed (no keeping speed in med+ armor)
    change the bonus of con to str.
    change stonecutting for something similar and appropriate for orc fluff (survival maybe?)
    Change the hatred to basically be opposite.

etc.
    Last edited by dascarletm; 2014-09-16 at 05:21 PM.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm. Maybe throw away the "Cha is classical beauty" attitude and give them +2 cha normally, but a -4 circumstance penalty when attempting to make use of social skills to interact with core races who have "cha is classical beauty" as a cultural handicap?

I see Orcs as being one of those strongwilled warrior races, so a high cha mechanically makes sense from the "force of will" interpretation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    Their favored class is Barbarian, what do they need the mind stats for?
    Skills, intimidating, not having their mind controlled? its not the penalties that im really annoyed with its the fact that you have a total of -6 stats and only +4 and no actual racials to speak of.

And i agree that the str makes them real scary at low levels, but its the distinct lack of anything else that is the main problem.

I mean lets compare them to a goliath, the goliath has +4 str, +2 con, -2 dex and powerful build as well as a few fun racial things. Ya their +1 LA but they still have a net +4 ability score whereas orcs are in the negatives as well as getting nothing else.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

They are part orc, too. Orcs are not predisposed to eloquence or intelligence. PF fixed it by just giving them the same bonus as Humans, which I felt was weird. Not very Orc...y.

How about +2 Str, -2 Cha, +4 intimidate?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-09-16 at 05:30 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I think WotC used to value one large bonus over multiple littler bonuses, and physical stats over mental for that matter.

That is they see a +4 > two +2.

But I think you could easily alter the dwarf race as a good base. Move the +2 and -2 around for different orc variants.

a more sorcerer inclined sub-race wouldn't have a cha penalty for example.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Water Orc: +4Str, +2Con, -2Int, -2Wis, -2Cha
    Dragonborn* Unseelie Fey Water Orc: +2Str, +2Con, -2Int, -2Wis
    *(to remove Unseelie's powerful abilities)
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-09-16 at 05:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

They are part orc, too. Orcs are not predisposed to eloquence or intelligence. PF fixed it by just giving them the same bonus as Humans, which I felt was weird. Not very Orc...y.

I always wished that +'s and -'s to social skills would just be situational (for the most part).

What if in culture X they don't particularly trust orcs, but fear them (-2bluff/diplomacy, +4intimidate)
    In culture Y they don't fear orcs (perhaps they are serfs) (-4 intimidate)

or something.

I personally would leave such things out of racial stats.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This id prbly use for half orcs, maybe toss on a racial weapon prof?

I was thinkin for orcs, +4 str, -2 Int, -2 Cha, +4 intimidate, proficiency with the hand axe, battle axe, great axe and the orc double axe, and of course darkvision.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    I always wished that +'s and -'s to social skills would just be situational (for the most part).

What if in culture X they don't particularly trust orcs, but fear them (-2bluff/diplomacy, +4intimidate)
    In culture Y they don't fear orcs (perhaps they are serfs) (-4 intimidate)

or something.

I personally would leave such things out of racial stats.
    I'd prefer the way I have it. Cultural things make it easy to be screwed by the DM. Intimidate in particular should not be subject to cultural stuff, anyway. It's not "I'm scary cuz people don't like orcs," it's "I'm scary because being an orc means I know how to be scary."
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I think orcs are good enough as is, and water orcs definitely are. They're possibly the best race if you're going for maximum strength without LA. Half-orcs are less good, but at least they make really good druids.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, Orcs don't live past level 4.

I think that the game designers over-rated Strength, you can see this if you look at the LA of several templates. This could be because Fighters are balanced with Casters, and all classes are the same tier.

Blue text colour omitted.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    I think WotC used to value one large bonus over multiple littler bonuses, and physical stats over mental for that matter.

That is they see a +4 > two +2.
    Actually, it's a little different from that. They see a +X to Dex or Str as balanced by -X to physicals stat or -(X+2) to mental stats (e.g. +2 str, -2 cha/int for half-orc; +4 str, -2 int/wis/cha for full orc). There's a table explaining it in the DMG, page 173.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-09-16 at 05:55 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Why must every race be equal to or superior to the player's handbook races? Why shouldn't Orc stats suck?

Those are half-orcs, the orc racial mods are the same as in 3.5 with the addition of weapon familiarity and Ferocity.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Those are half-orcs, the orc racial mods are the same as in 3.5 with the addition of weapon familiarity and Ferocity.
    Yerp. Misread the thingy.

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

+2 to attacks, damage, bull rush, trip, and grapples, with no combat penalties other than a -1 to feints. It is not a bad set of abilities, and at low levels the combat abilities are more important than the saves.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'd go with the following:

High Orc
    Appearance: This being is green and mottled of skin, with a pug nose and pointed ears. His eyes are catlike and green, with slit pupils.

Alignment: Most High Orcs are true neutral, though no more than humans.

History: High Orcs were created by the interbreeding of Sharakhim (Races of Destiny) and normal Orcs. They are far more intelligent and less brutish than their lesser cousins, and favor their Sharakhim (is that even how you spell it) parent's society. They were first bred by warlords among Orcs for generals, but they soon proved to have a will of their own that wouldn't be subdued by their creator's brutishness.

Racial Traits:
    • Humanoid (Orc): High Orcs are still Orcs, as they say, and are humanoids with the Orc subtype.
    • +2 Str, -2 Cha: High Orcs are not as strong as their Orc progenitors, but are still strong of body. They do not interact well with other humanoids, who cannot help but see them as their brutish parents.
    • +2 racial bonus on Survival and Intimidate checks: High Orcs live in villages away from other races, trying to keep to themselves. Too often are they set upon by both their own kind and humans.
    • Darkvision 60 ft.
    • Medium Size
    • Martial Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword. Many High Orcs view the Bastard Sword as the true weapon of their kind (don't ask why, I just thought it'd be cool)
    • Favored Class: Fighter or Barbarian (whichever they have more levels of).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

19. - Top - End - #19

+4 to your primary stat is awesome.

I mean, a Human Barbarian can take a 18-14-14-10-10-8 with their 32 point buy. An orc looking to take the same stat array only spends 28 points because he only needs a 14 in strength. Take those 4 left over points, dump then into int or charisma and bam, your orc is actually smarter or more charming than the human. Realistically you'd probably use those points on more strength or constitution or something but it highlights the point well.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    +4 to your primary stat is awesome.

I mean, a Human Barbarian can take a 18-14-14-10-10-8 with their 32 point buy. An orc looking to take the same stat array only spends 28 points because he only needs a 14 in strength. Take those 4 left over points, dump then into int or charisma and bam, your orc is actually smarter or more charming than the human. Realistically you'd probably use those points on more strength or constitution or something but it highlights the point well.
    Only in that form of point buy. My DMs and in a few of my campaigns I had point buy with straight points (1 to 1). 80 points, I saw characters with 18 in their primary stat, always, with very rarely a score below ten. It was awesome.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Only in that form of point buy. My DMs and in a few of my campaigns I had point buy with straight points (1 to 1). 80 points, I saw characters with 18 in their primary stat, always, with very rarely a score below ten. It was awesome.
    Hm. Personally never seen that form of point buy, but in that case... yeah you lose to the human unless you take water orc. Still 22 starting strength is still juicy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

In general there's a nonlinear benefit to having large modifiers in one stat as opposed to having smaller modifiers in a number of stats. The reason is that its almost always the case that a character relies on one or two stats for most of their stuff, and of course a race that is as lopsided as an Orc is going to naturally be picked by a lot of people wanting to play Barbarians rather than people wanting to play Wizards (there are always exceptions of course). The nature of point buy makes this even more extreme, since you can basically pick up free points this way (as was shown in the previous posts).

In general +4, +2, -2 is the stat array for LA+1. +4 on LA 0 is rare though not unheard of, and it usually comes with sufficiently harsh penalties elsewhere that even SAD classes will feel it a bit. So you can think of the Orc -6/+4 as being '-4 to balance +4, then another -2 to balance the fact that a +4 in one stat is more valuable than two +2s'. So I'd leave the stat mods alone unless you want to make an LA+1 version of the Orc. The main problem is that other races/templates have been published which aren't really all that balanced, with the result being that the plain Orc hasn't kept up well compared to a properly templated Water Orc - so the Orc looks sucky by comparison.

The racial abilities could be mucked around with a bit though. Light Sensitivity in particular could be re-examined. It's there as a setting thing (e.g. a reason that the physically superior Orcs don't just overwhelm the surface world) but really the answer to that always seems to be 'high level adventurers' anyhow.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The exponential value of a +4 makes it almost sorta worth it (but then the fact that it's str, the melee stat, and melee is subpar in 3E, lessens the value back down to earth), it's half-orcs that SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

That said, Dragonborn Water Orc is basically WotC's patch / hotfix for the entire race, and it works beautifully. +4 Str/Con for -2 to every other stat. You don't need Dragonborn (then it's +4 str, +2 Con, -2 Int/Wis/Cha), but dragonborn gets rid of the annoying light sensitivity and fire spells/effects save penalty.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I like the PF beta stats +2Wis, +2Str. -2Int/
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-09-17 at 01:36 AM. Reason: I was in error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

I may be wrong, but I think the biggest problem is that orcs get a net -6 on their stats (-2 on all mental stats) for only a +4 bonus. This should be evened out. In other words, either they should get +6 str (making them frickin' beasts that can destroy anything in their path), +4 str and +2 con (making them both powerful and durable) or they should lose one of the penalties (probably the -2 wis. This would still make orcs unlearned and savage without them having to be dim per se).

As for light sensitivity, I generally ignore it in my games, so that should be scrapped for orcs. Maybe throw in a few nice skill bonusses (like light sensitivity), automatic proficiency with a few special orc weapons and they should make for a pretty decent race.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Seriously what is with those orc stats? -2 int, wis, and cha?? seems a tad overkill especially since you only get darkvision and +4 str, as well as the fact that you need to suck light sensitivity. The worst part is is that half orcs get it even worse as they dont even get a free weapon prof out of it.

I know that WotC has this burning hatred for "ugly" races, but this just seems nuts.

So how can we fix orcs and half orcs to bring them in line with the power level of say, dwarves?
    Uhm, its all what you want them to accomplish. Orc as is make very good lower level "mook" type enemies. As a monster/NPC race they succeed. Given their role in many settings, having them as a player race wouldn't make much sense, either. So for Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, Orcs are good. Given that they were designed with that role in mind, I don't think there is a reason to blame the designers.

Now, if we look on orcs as a player race things look different. Apart from incredible narrow barbarian-types, they make very poor players characters. It also makes it difficult to integrate them better into the societies of the player races. This dissonance is very noticeable in Eberron. I'm pretty much a fan of all things Eberron and I like the role of the orcs in this setting. But their stats just don't match. I mean, Druids, really?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the light sensitivity penalty to attack can be gotten rid off with 5 sp item. No biggie.

[Edit]:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Uhm, its all what you want them to accomplish. Orc as is make very good lower level "mook" type enemies.
    I dunno, high strength with low CR and a preference towards big two-handers (with high crit rate, no less) makes them pretty lethal.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2014-09-17 at 03:38 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. If an Orc with average strength crits with a battle axe, that's a minimum of 12 damage which is enough to put many classes at first level into negatives, and an average between 19 and 20, which *is* more than enough to drop almost everybody at first level, and if they're raging, well, game over dude, game, bleeping over.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2014-09-17 at 04:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Indeed. If an Orc with average strength crits with a battle axe, that's a minimum of 12 damage which is enough to put many classes at first level into negatives, and an average between 19 and 20, which *is* more than enough to drop almost everybody at first level, and if they're raging, well, game over dude, game, bleeping over.
    I don't think we're talking about Orc Barbarians inasmuch as Orc Warriors (powerful, but not as) which are around CR what, 1/2?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I don't think we're talking about Orc Barbarians inasmuch as Orc Warriors (powerful, but not as) which are around CR what, 1/2?
    Yeah. Pair of those are EL 1 made to teach players never to skimp on Con.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.