New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Shackled City

Thokk casts a sidelong glance at Argo. "Will we?" His eyes scan the large room, uneasy in this temple. A temple so unlike the gymnasium. He pats Nilbog roughly on the back, harder than intended, trying to calm his mumblings.

He rests his elbows on his knees while sitting, hand close to his new dagger, just in case these priestesses thought they were responsible in some way.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Booker waits with the others, frowning at his surroundings. Like Argo he wasn't exactly a fan of the overtly lawful church, but hopefully returning this priest to them would be enough to keep anyone from bothering them.

As they wait for the priest to recover Booker speaks, barely above a whisper and hopefully only audible to the group. "Anyone else get the feeling we just stumbled into something big?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"If that vigilante girl said is true, so yes", Argo whisper back to Booker, "But I dont think a small band of thugs is that big deal..."
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk lets out a loud grunt, turning to look at Argo and Booker. "I get no such feeling, Booker." He tries to whisper, but only deep, guttural baritones escape his thick lips. "This looked like just another lower rung thieves guild beating up an old man. They acted with the brutality of common thugs, not the finesse of a trained thieves guild." Thokk sets back, resting his elbows on his knees once again.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"She did say 'important' and 'profitable' and I like the sound of both of them. Both words sounds more like 'opportunity' in my mind!" growls Nilbog.
    "Do not anger a bard...for you are silly, and would make for a funny song."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk snorts at Nilbog, dismissing the Goblin's hopeful speculation. "It's been a long day, and longer night. I'd just as soon come back here in the morning to figure out what all this was about. A cold ale and my soft cot would get me through the night."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Just then the woman in priestly robes enters, "Thank you for waiting. You have been most helpful in our endeavors. Unfortunately the High Priest is on a mission and is unable to be contacted right now. So, all I can offer you is grateful words." She starts to walk away and stops herself, "Wait, could you be of help in a investigation? I'm sure you have heard that there has been a string of kidnappings as of late, and you don't seem frightened by the Last Laugh." She looks at Thokk, "and seem to be able to handle any dangers that might be set upon you."

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk stands up and swells with pride, standing as to appear broader and taller than usual. "These are commonplace thugs, not trained well in subtlety or combat." He relaxes a little, eyeing the priestess expectantly.
    Last edited by Darksidebro; 2014-09-20 at 05:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"What makes you think this gang is connected to the kidnapping?" Booker asks.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"I havent heard of any kidnappings at late, but maybe you can tell us more", Argo tell the priestess, "I'm Argo Silverthorn", he says making an exxagerated bow and kiss her hand, "It'll be a pleasure to help... as long as our efforts are well rewarded" he add.

"If you could tell us everything you know about these kidnappings and about these so-called Last Laugh it would be of great help too".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"First pints... then grateful words... what happened to the good old days when people just gave you money..." mutters Nilbog, before something clicks in his mind "HOLD IT! Are we to investigate this on orders of the High Priest himself? Official church matters? We pay our taxes... well... I don't but that's besides the point... to the city guard so they can prevent such things from happening! Why is your church involved then?" Just because she was a cleric didn't mean that she automatically gained the Goblin's trust.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk nods at his little goblin friend. "This is correct. The local guardsmen should be able to sort this out. It is, as Nilb-" the half-Orc cuts off midsentence, assuming Nilbog would be disgruntled at his name being given out. "-as the goblin says, their job."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Priestess shakes her head, "That is the issue, you see. The city guard is dealing with a large amount of the investigation. There have been over sixty kidnappings. The last four however, were an affront to the Church of St. Cuthbert directly. They took four children from our orphanage. None of the captured people have been found yet, and the orphans are our charges. We do not take direct insults like this lightly." She sighs, "However, the warrior base of our church went with Sir Splintersheild several months ago, to cleanse the underdark of evil. Our High Priest had an important mission to attend to three days ago, so we were left with myself, Rufus, and four apprentices. We are severely under manned in this time of crisis. Hence, I will open our vaults and offer a reward to you, and only you. Five hundred gold per child returned to us, and double if you return all four. You will be working as agents of the Church and will be given holy relics to act as your credentials. So, as you can see, we the authority, and need farther assistance. If you agree to these terms, I will tell you what the relics are. Then show you what information we have gathered. If not, I'm afraid poor Rufus will just have to continue without your assistance. If he gets assaulted again, and dies as a result, the Church may very well have to reflect on your choices."

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

A low guttural "Hmmm.." He crosses his arms, not wanting to speak for the others. A slow smile creeps onto his harsh face. He looks down at Nilbog, expecting the goblin to jump out of his skin at such a steep paying job.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Have then asked for ransom?", he ask her before looking at his companions, "Before you answer, let me confer with my friends for a sec, please".

Argo move closer and whisper to them, "What you guy think? I'm for it: a thousand gold pieces each sounds pretty nice and they look to be a meek ragtag band of wannabe bandits so it's almost like free money. What you say?"

Once them all say yes or no, Argo look at her and smile.

"We already have an answer, but first... What's your name again? And how is our old friend doing?"
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2014-09-21 at 01:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nilbog strokes his chin, clearly interested "TELL YOU WHAT! If you throw into the deal that we all get access to your church, then I shall convince my associates here to take this important mission. AFTER ALL, if we are to throw ourselves in front of danger... for the greater good of the city of course... then we may need some healing!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Booker raises an eyebrow at the mention of the missing orphans but otherwise remains silent through the priestesses tale. When she has finished he turns to his comrads and whispers "I'm all for this investigation. If this last laugh group is kidnapping orphans their motives are likely not random. he adds with a shudder, unable to fully contain himself completely.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk sits back, eyeing his companions and nodding at what they have to say. Especially at Nilbog's 'getting in with the church' bit. He sniffs the air and scowls, this air doesn't smell right. Not the correct sameness of scent that he's accustomed to at home. Thokk turns and nods deliberately to Booker and Argo, his customary form of agreement. "What fate do the children face, if not helped?" he asks the priestess.
    Last edited by Darksidebro; 2014-09-21 at 10:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"The goblin speaks true, you may need healing and rest while on the job. We will provide such things if you need them, and come to the church. Waving the normal donation. you are doing the great Saint's work after all." the woman gives a worried look to Thokk, "As to the children's fate, we cannot be sure. My name has been asked, it's Jenya Hansdotter, what is all of yours?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"As I said before, I'm Argo Silverthorn, the pride and joy of a far far away land".

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The Goblin jumps on his seat "I am.... NILBOG THE GREAT! Be sure to remember it!" he yells loudly before sitting back down "And I think I shall accept your hospitality. VERY WELL THEN! It seems my associates and I agree to your terms. We are your agents, and you are our patron. Now then... if we are to pick up were Rufus left off, we shall have to speak to him. When do you think he will wake up?"
    Last edited by Shmee; 2014-09-21 at 01:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk winces at Nilbog's shrill outburst. He shifts his bulk a step away from Nilbog. Thokk beats his chest twice with his fist, a custom brought from his Orc tribe. "Thokk Chain-Breaker. Defender of the Broken." He says in a guttural, grating voice. Keeping it simple and to the point.
    Last edited by Darksidebro; 2014-09-21 at 02:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Just call me Booker." the scarred human in a cloak notes, giving the priestess a polite nod.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Jenya nods, "Please follow me, Rufus has been through a lot, but he was able to tell me everything he found. I can answer any of your questions in my office. Give you what little we have discovered thus far." Jenya walks to her office leading the four. She takes a seat and pulls out a very thin roll of parchments. She unrolls them and scoots them across the table.

Spoiler: First paper
    Show
    Tiervan Wisport (male gnome, age 91): A local alchemist, Tiervan lived with two cats and ran a marginally successful business. He disappeared 88 nights ago.

Jorl Seerkin (male gnome, age 72): A law clerk who worked for a local gnome barrister named Aeryk Gylbar, he disappeared from his home 83 nights ago.

Azmi Dresker (female human, age 19): A known prostitute who plied her trade at the Slippery Eel Tavern, she disappeared from her residence 81 nights ago. She and a coworker, Shellen Rycah, rented the house from an old woman named Matira Hathaway, who was asleep in the house that night and didn’t hear anything.

Shellen Rycah (female human, age 20): Another prostitute who frequented the Slippery Eel Tavern and shared a house with coworker Azmi Dresker and their landlord. Shellen disappeared 81 nights ago.

Krylscar Endercott (male human, age 24): Kicked out of the local milita for drunk and disorderly conduct, Krylscar vanished from his parents’ home 74 nights ago. Neither parent hear or saw anything suspicious, but they believe Krylscar may have robbed them and fled the town in disgrace.

Callum Sunnyrush (male Halfling, age 37): He groomed horses and ponies for the Lathenmire noble family. He vanished from his room at a cozy local inn 69 nights ago.

Gryffon Malek (male human, age 32): He worked as a barkeep at the Tipped Tankard tavern. He disappeared 66 days ago, three days before his planned wedding to tavern barmaid Imelie Deranti.

Szordra Callagher (female human, age 35): A self-proclaimed sage, she ran her own small bookstore. She was last seen 60 nights ago by her 18-year-old Leagan, a mason’s apprentice.

Tembor Kalavan (male human, age 25): A local minstrel of some repute, he vanished 52 nights ago from his room in the Laughing Horse Inn.

Irruth Mercadi (female human, age 36): A local chandler who disappeared from the apartment above her shop 47 nights ago.

Deven Myrzal (male human, age 18): A lamplighter who vanished 45 nights ago. Guards found the pole Deven used to unhook hanging lanterns in the street a few blocks from his home (which was not robbed).

Jeneer Everdawn (female Halfling, age 42): A jeweler’s apprentice who did volunteer work at Bluecrater Academy, she disappeared 40 nights ago.

Lorthan Ironfold (male dwarf, age 125): A skilled Cartwright. He and his wife Sondor, vanished from their home 35 nights ago.

Sondor Ironfold (female dwarf, age 127): Wife of Lorthan Ironfold, she and her husband disappeared 35 nights ago.

Rikaldo Vesker (male human, age 34): His ransacked home contained blood droplets and blood-encrusted knives – not surprising, since Rikaldo worked as a skinner. He disappeared 31 nights ago.

Lestor Coldwater (male human, age 22): A trained scribe and struggling poet. He and his girlfriend, Jelluth, vanished from her home 26 nights ago.

Jelluth Sirlana (female half-elf, age 33): A struggling shoemaker who inherited her father’s failing business, she vanished (along with her boyfriend, Lestor) 26 nights ago.

Elethor Ashstaff (male half-elf, age 58): A wizard and trickster who occasionally performed minor feats of prestidigitation at birthday parties for upper-class children. A dead rat – possibly Elethor’s familiar – was found in his home. He vanished 22 nights ago.

Maple (female Halfling, age 32): Last name unknown. Maple was rumored to be associated with the Alleybashers. She disappeared 18 nights ago.

Corystan Pike (female human, age35): A retired adventurer who was living on stolen loot, she walked with a cane. She disappeared from her modest abode 16 nights ago.

Jasper Drundlesput (male gnome, age 74): A reclusive and eccentric mathematician who worked at Bluecrater Academy, he is believed to have vanished nine days ago. Pieces of parchment covered with numbers and symbols littered the floor of his ransacked house.

Deakon Stormshield (male dwarf, age 20): A bright dwarf, Deakon was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. The orphanage took him in when he was six years old, after his parents failed to return from an adventure.

Evelyn Radavec (female human, age 9): A quiet, sullen girl, she was taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. Her father and mother succumbed to the filth fever plague that struck Cauldron seven years ago.

Lucinda Aldreen (female human, age 8): A gregarious but superstitious child given to the Lantern Street Orphanage at age four by her poverty-stricken mother, Lucinda was abducted from the orphanage three nights ago.

Terrem Kharatys (male human, age 9): This orphan, taken from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago, is a dour and temperamental lad. His parents died shortly after his birth (circumstances unknown).

Spoiler: The second parchment
    Show
    Beyond the Curtain, Below the Cauldron
    Beware the doors with teeth, though the land where none are seen
    In the Malachite Prison, Half a Dwarf binds them but not for long

Spoiler: The third Parchment
    Show
    The doors were closed and locked, no one was seen coming in or out all night. I have the only key and they are locked from the outside, preventing the girls and boys from any funny business. They only persons here was myself and Patch our ground's keeper. Neither of us saw anything.

Jenya waits for the four to take a look at the parchments then speaks, "The first is a list of all the kidnap victims, no rhyme or reason behind the kidnappings, just taken then never seen from again. The second is what my divination have yielded as per usual it's a confusing riddle. The third is the account of the head mistress of the orphanage, that was what Rufus was out gathering. This is as far as our own investigation and that of the town guard has gotten. Unsurprisingly, low priority, they mostly collect the escalating taxes. Our next move was to get a meeting with Lord Mayor Vhalantru, who said he would give a reward for the return of the Orphans."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thokk grunts at the papers, giving them a partial glance. The jumbled writings appearing to twist and writhe in a confusing pattern to his vision. He looks sidelong at Booker, knowing his cloaked friend will study the papers and relay what the scratchings ment later. Probably over a cold mug of ale... Thokk smiles to himself, having thought of a relaxing tavern maybe with a seat by a warm hearth.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nilbog takes the paper and reads the list with great interest "Oh... its in chronological order... that's quite nice of you..." he mumbles as he reads the names of those who have been kidnapped "What do you know of this orphanage? Can the people running it be trusted?" he growls at Jenya.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Jenya nods, "Yes, Headmistress Ranni has been working there for almost a hundred years. This has never happened before. As for her staff, she hires them as she sees fit."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm new to these parts of the Oerth... Can you lend me a map of the region around? I think I got some answer to your riddle", Argo says taking a look at the second parchment as he read it outloud:

"Beyond the Curtain, Below the Cauldron
    Beware the doors with teeth, though the land where none are seen
    In the Malachite Prison, Half a Dwarf binds them but not for long
    "

"I believe they're trapped in some natural cave of sorts: a malachite prison. Beyond the curtain may mean a waterfall and below the cauldron... maybe a volcano or a crater? Doors with teeth may be some rocky natural obstacle, like stalagmites or slataltites... As for the half dwarf part... I hope we can save them before they finish whateveer they're planning", the elf says scratching his chin, "Do you now of any waterfall around, maybe? What the rest of you think?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Booker passes over the first list of victims, figuring that the church would likely have a better chance of finding some connection than he would. The second and third sheets, however, he pays great attention to, committing the second to memory and reading the third with great interest.

"Obviously some form of magic, or considerable skill to pick and re-lock the room after kidnapping without being observed. I assume the church has already checked the door locks for any scratches or other signs of forced entry? If not may I take a look?" Booker asks before continuing.

Turning to address Argo's interpretation he nods "Reasonable supposition, though I would assume the curtain likely has a more symbolic meaning myself, and below the Cauldron almost certainly means beneath this city." Booker adds.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Jenya pulls a map out from her desk and hands it to Argo, "This is a current map of Cauldron."

Spoiler: Map of Cauldron
    Show

She turns to Booker, "As for the locks themselves, you are free to go see the locks yourself, according to Rufus when he went to the Orphanage to get the statement, they were not tampered with. Perhaps he missed something." She points out Lantern Street Orphanage on the map. "Here is where the orphanage is." She then pulls out four rods with the symbol of St. Cuthbert engraved upon them. "These are the relics I promised you as well. They are infused with magical energies, and are important to the Cauldron branch of our faith. They once belonged to Sir Greggory Demonsbane, a knight and Paladin, who served Lord Spellmason when he pushed back a demon invasion and founded the twin cities of Cauldron and Redgorge" She holds up the first of the Rods, "This is the blessing of the healer, it can transform any magic into healing magic." She takes the second of the rods, "This is the blessing of the knight, allowing anyone who presents it to banish darkness." She holds up the third of the Rods, "This is the blessing of the inquisitor, it's holder can open any lock in order to pursue heretics who keep their secrets locked away." She then holds up the last rod, "This is the blessing of the Spellmason, it can be used along with any healing magics to remove any curse, and heal ailments of the body or mind." She smiles at the rods proudly, "They are yours till your work for the church is done."

Spoiler: The Rods
    Show
    Here is what they do in Game terms:
    Blessing of Healer: Can convert any spell (arcane or divine) into an equivalent level cure spell. The spell stays in the same slot till cast. Use: Standard Action

Blessing of Knight: 1/day the holder can turn undead as if they had their hit dice as cleric. Use: No Action

Blessing of Inquisitor: The holder of the rod gets a +10 on open lock, and disable device. Also, they gain the Trapfinding skill as per a rouge of their level. Use: No Action

Blessing of Spellmason: Can convert any cure spell into an equivalent level restoration spell, or if the spell is 4th level or higher, it may be a break enchantment instead. The converted spell is immediately cast. Use: Standard Action
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2014-09-21 at 07:33 PM.