New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XI: The Menu's Made Up and the Drinks Don't Matter

"And now I have sheen eshactly why you're an incompetent." Strahd bristles, and his nostrils flare as he huffs out a breath of indignation. For a moment he actually looks as if he might smack her. "You are acting entirely childish and unprofesshional. I eshpect you'll be running out of friendsh here before I do. Good day, and good luck." And with a nod to Mist, Strahd stomps past the counter and farewell out the door.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2014-09-20 at 09:04 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ashley giggles again. What was wrong with her this morning? "Of course I would, silly. That's why I'm asking."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist looks offended alright, but it's not at Strahd. He watches the cook walk out impassively before he turns his head back to Ally.
    "Do me a favor and don't ever try to pull that kind of **** with me." says the fox coldly, walking away to go mope and be found later.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

The bard's song comes to a slow, lingering end, the last three notes drifting on and on and on.
    Man. That Ally is real bad news. Cleo could take lessons on theatric jerkiness. And it's lost the Inn a cook. Which is a shame, not because she ever ate the food (I think Cleo is the chronically hungry character of mine now) but because a good cook made the place simply better, even if you never partook of the food.

That one time he made a salad with tiny animated dinosaur toppings? That was amazing. And now nothing like that will ever happen again.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "Of course. I'll go see what I have." Naku replies with a bow of her own, before stepping back, and heading up the stairs to her room. She'll be back at some point with clothing.
    Yay clothes!

The garments in question are taken in hand with much care. Whether they are old and worn or something a bit nicer doesn't matter. 'I've never worn clothes before,' Buhayyah says, in a childlike way.

She finds herself somewhere a little less conspicuous to change. Buhayyah at least knows that people tend to get dressed in private.
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

6. - Top - End - #36

Someone comes looking to find the fox.

As one might expect, it's Leah, looking fully solid. She's smiling, attempting marginally well to look confident and poised, and rather dressed up; hair washed and styled in elaborate loops, wearing a sort of suit (which she picked because no one at home knew how to tie a necktie properly) and her fanciest sandals, no magical armor, and with only one weapon on her person, a tiny derringer in her coat pocket.
    She's also carrying a single azalea flower.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-09-21 at 12:13 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist smiles as he looks up to see the Fey with her fancy suit and presumably still glowing eyes.
    "Hiya Leah, what's going on?" he says, feeling a bit brightened by her timing of arrival.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Hiding pregnancy really isn't something ponies do, but they don't really talk about it. Doing so is rude because everyone can obviously tell by the scent. Fortuna still thinks that humanoid customs are really weird. But no doubt they feel more or less the same way.

Anywho!

When Cessie arrives Fortuna begins waving at her!

"Over here, Cessie!"

Fortuna won't comment on the scent of pregnancy, either. Especially in public. Because it's rude!
    She really need to add an enchantment that covers smell as well. She had been planning to ever since she hanged out with Promise, a wolfen friend of hers. Fortuna's appearance causes her to pause however before she slowly starts to approach the table. "Geneva?" She asks, regarding Fortuna cautiously. The sorceress had never been good at handling unexpected social situations.

9. - Top - End - #39

Leah does still have glowing eyes, and since it might not go without saying, also has her sunglasses on.

"Mist!"
    Offers him the flower.
    "I think my magical bad luck is finally over - only knocked down one building the whole week, so it wasn't that bad anyway - so I figured I should come by and see how you were and what you were up to. I hear you're co-owner of this place now? Congratulations!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Baeleck View Post
    Yay clothes!

The garments in question are taken in hand with much care. Whether they are old and worn or something a bit nicer doesn't matter. 'I've never worn clothes before,' Buhayyah says, in a childlike way.

She finds herself somewhere a little less conspicuous to change. Buhayyah at least knows that people tend to get dressed in private.
    The clothing, it turns out, is a very comfortable pair of sweatpants, and an obviously well loved leather jacket. The jacket has more than a few scars along it. Most of them didn't even puncture all the way through! The most common look to be the long narrower cuts of blades, though there are more than a few sets of claw marks. The shoulder even has very large, very canine-looking tooth puncture holes from where some veeeeery large dog-thing tried to take a chunk out of her shoulder.
    The jacket is also overly large, and with the way it folds, obviously implies plates of some sort generally reside on the inside to keep various fleshy-bits safe. The plates have been removed, though. Probably what took Naku so long.

"I'd like the jacket back at some point. But it's yours until you can find something better."
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist takes the flower with a sad smile.
    "Yeah, I am. Hitting some obstacles though. Glad to hear that you're doing better, though." he says.

12. - Top - End - #42

"That's me," the draconequus replies. "This crazy metamorphasis that you-know-who's nonsense kicked off finally ran to its conclusion. I'm just glad that it's over with," Fortuna explains. "I can tell it tweaked my personality slightly. I'm a little more spontaneous than I was before, less neurotic. Which is probably a good thing in the long run."

She grins a silly grin.

"You might say I'm better at rolling with strange situations than I was before. I could complain, but this is obviously my lot in life. So now the die is cast and I'm living with the results. Thankfully I'm learning to control my chaos magic, so it isn't a complete crap-shoot."

Oh lordy...

Dice puns...

So many dice puns.

"Come sit down! Do you want some tea? I can ask them to bring another pot."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #43

Cessie probably missed a lot of those puns or she'd be falling over dead right now.
    She isn't a complete stranger to strange transformations though, it seemed to happen at a daily basis at the nexus. Though she wasn't one that readily accepted them like Fortuna did, but if she didn't mind Cessie couldn't really try to change her mind about it could she? The mental change worried her however, how could one be sure one really was the same if their minds had changed? But putting such worries aside for a moment, the sorceress sits down to address her friend. "Ah, I'll just have some juice, thanks." She says before considering what to say next. "I'm... glad that you're so adaptable. I know that I'm not particularly good at handling changes like that."

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist takes the flower with a sad smile.
    "Yeah, I am. Hitting some obstacles though. Glad to hear that you're doing better, though." he says.
    "Thanks. Would you like to talk about the obstacles, or would you rather just forget it for a while?"
    Poor Mist. Hopefully it isn't her making him sad.

"Oh, and how do you feel about heights?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #45

Fortuna gives a little laugh. "If I still had my old mindset I'm sure I would be a nervous wreck right now. But I'm not, so everything is fine. Really though, getting rid of my more nervous qualities was a blessing."

Then a little frown.

"I know what you're probably thinking. Mental changes are bad, that means I'm not strictly the same person I used to be. I..."
    she takes a deep breath. "I'm not. I'm not the same person I was when we first met. My character sheet has even been updated with a new name. Fortuna the Golden Dice of Wonder. But I'm okay with it. People change all the time. Who we are changes over the course of our lives. My change was just a little more dramatic than usual."

She reaches out to put a reassure paw/claw over Cessie's hand and offer her a kind smile.

"But in spite of all of that, you're still my friend. My goals are still the same. I just have a refreshed outlook on things."

The draconequus gives a nod.

"Right! So then. About this protomatter your colleagues discovered?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mrs McGinty's dead. She's lying there, face down on the floor of the Inn, cold and lifeless. Dressed in a stone-coloured woolen skirt and matching cardigan, her plump form and greying curls speak only of aging banality, of a quiet life spent engaged in matters of no great import. Of what caused her death, there is no clue apparent. Nor is there any evidence to be seen of how or why she appeared in this place.

Suddenly, and without warning, Mrs McGinty's eyes snap open. Glancing around the common room, a look of polite curiosity moving across her hitherto leaden features, she picks herself up off the floor, brushes the dust from her clothes, approaches the bar, and unpuckers her narrow lips to speak: "I hear you're in need of a cook..."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

The clothing, it turns out, is a very comfortable pair of sweatpants, and an obviously well loved leather jacket. The jacket has more than a few scars along it. Most of them didn't even puncture all the way through! The most common look to be the long narrower cuts of blades, though there are more than a few sets of claw marks. The shoulder even has very large, very canine-looking tooth puncture holes from where some veeeeery large dog-thing tried to take a chunk out of her shoulder.
    The jacket is also overly large, and with the way it folds, obviously implies plates of some sort generally reside on the inside to keep various fleshy-bits safe. The plates have been removed, though. Probably what took Naku so long.

"I'd like the jacket back at some point. But it's yours until you can find something better."
    'I'll make sure to take good care of it,' Buhayyah promises. Which probably isn't saying much. Another scratch or ten would likely go unnoticed. 'Might I ask your names?' she adds, nodding in Mist's direction. 'It would be helpful to know who to ask for when I come to return these.'

18. - Top - End - #48

Her 'character sheet'? The golden die? It sounded like the title of an object, not a person. Still, Genva or Fortuna didn't seem to worry about it so neither should she right? She takes a deep breath, best to just try to ignore it at the moment. "Right, well it has often believed that the eldritch realm simply was a storage space for energy and matter. That fire, water, earth, coal, granite and so fourth all co-existed together, or perhaps were divided into smaller sub-realms. However, now I'm quite certain that the eldritch realm in fact looks completely featureless and empty. Matter without a plan just waiting for something to shape it. We're just so used to everything having at least some properties recognized by our senses that we can't imagine a place where there is matter with none. All matter in my world has a kami, a form of basic spirit which tells it what it should be. These are the basics of all matter, including human life. We are in fact made up of an endless amount of kami which in turn makes up large and larger kami and so fourth. It's a bit hard to explain, but apart from the smallest kami, they're all concept spirits. When a mage uses their link to the eldritch realm they use their thoughts who in turn are made up of these kami to transport and shape this matter they've chosen to call kuri." Cessie explains.

19. - Top - End - #49

Fortuna sits and ponders for a time as she assimilates all that information.

Wow...

That is wholly unlike her own home universe.

"So... you basically your magic is drawing unpurposed matter from this eldritch realm and applying a purpose to it in the process of conjuring it?"

That's pretty neat, actually.

And she can see how such a paradigm shift could drastically change the practice of magic.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Baeleck View Post
    'I'll make sure to take good care of it,' Buhayyah promises. Which probably isn't saying much. Another scratch or ten would likely go unnoticed. 'Might I ask your names?' she adds, nodding in Mist's direction. 'It would be helpful to know who to ask for when I come to return these.'
    Well, the jacket is obviously very well cared for, and is obviously loved. So more might be noticed.
    "I'm Naku. Though finding me shouldn't be too hard; I live and work here.

Now if you'll excuse me a moment."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs McGinty View Post
    Mrs McGinty's dead. She's lying there, face down on the floor of the Inn, cold and lifeless. Dressed in a stone-coloured woolen skirt and matching cardigan, her plump form and greying curls speak only of aging banality, of a quiet life spent engaged in matters of no great import. Of what caused her death, there is no clue apparent. Nor is there any evidence to be seen of how or why she appeared in this place.

Suddenly, and without warning, Mrs McGinty's eyes snap open. Glancing around the common room, a look of polite curiosity moving across her hitherto leaden features, she picks herself up off the floor, brushes the dust from her clothes, approaches the bar, and unpuckers her narrow lips to speak: "I hear you're in need of a cook..."
    "We are." Naku informs her, walking around to her old spot behind the bar. "Tell me about yourself. How long have you been cooking? What can you cook? Is, and I mean no offense," She says, smiling and showing her very pointy fangs, "is what you cook safe?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Buhayyah figures Naku wouldn't have given away something so precious, even if she was asking for it back. She nods as Naku heads off to deal with the dead-but-suddenly-not-dead woman. 'Thank you again,' she calls after her.

For the time being, Buhayyah will go take a seat and take some time to properly arrange her thoughts. Come to terms with her new freedom, figure out her next steps, and the like.

22. - Top - End - #52

Down the stairs comes Delta.

At the foot of the stairs, she stops for a moment to look around at everybody here. She was still getting used to all of the unusual sights of the Nexus.

Delta has long red hair, part of which covers the right side of her face. A slight green glow can be seen under her hair there. Her visible eye is blue. She wears boots, jeans, and a t-shirt. Her right arm is not normal. It is metal.

Delta's gaze lingers on Buhayya a bit. She had never seen anybody like Buhayya before. She tilts her head a bit, obvious curiosity on her face. After a moment, she walks over to the djinn.

Um, hi! My name's Delta.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another friendly someone! Buhayyah glances up from her reverie, nodding to Delta.

'I'm called Buhayyah,' she says, with a faint smile. She draws her arms in a little closer to herself. 'Can I help you?'

24. - Top - End - #54

Delta smiles a bit.

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm still kinda getting used to seeing all of the unique types of people here. So, I figured I'd meet as many as I can.

Mind if I sit and chat with you?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

'So you're new here too, yes?' Buhayyah seems to warm a little, and leans around to pull out a seat. 'I suppose it makes sense to meet as many folk as you can. It's nice to meet you, Delta.'

26. - Top - End - #56

Delta nods a bit before sitting down.

Yeah, I haven't been here long. I didn't know you were new here. How long ago did you arrive?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Fortuna sits and ponders for a time as she assimilates all that information.

Wow...

That is wholly unlike her own home universe.

"So... you basically your magic is drawing unpurposed matter from this eldritch realm and applying a purpose to it in the process of conjuring it?"

That's pretty neat, actually.

And she can see how such a paradigm shift could drastically change the practice of magic.
    Cessie mentally twitches. There was that word again, 'magic'. But if she could suppress her concerns about all the transformations, she could suppress her concerns for that too. "According to the new theory yes. This will have all sort of implications on how things work and are ordered. It will be a great boon to my future research on eldritch. For instance, it might explain why some elementals are harder to summon than others, simply since it's bound by human imagination."

28. - Top - End - #58

Has Cessie explained the different to Fortuna yet?

Rebo's pretty sure she hasn't. Which means Fortuna is just speaking in ignorance right now.

"It sounds like a really exciting time to be studying magic on your world," she says brightly. "We really don't have any analog for that back home. The closest thing would be gathering proto-matter from the Astral Plane since it can be shaped pretty easily by magic. I don't think we have anything like kami, though."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

"We are." Naku informs her, walking around to her old spot behind the bar. "Tell me about yourself. How long have you been cooking? What can you cook? Is, and I mean no offense," She says, smiling and showing her very pointy fangs, "is what you cook safe?"
    Mrs McGinty wrinkles her forehead at Naku’s last question. “Is it… safe? Well, I’ve not had many complaints. Well, alright, I’ve had quite a few. But nobody’s ever got sick. I mean, there was the time old Reverend Caulson got a bad of a case of the you-know-whats after eatin’ too much of my mutton vindaloo, but that counts as self-inflicted in my book…”

She pauses for a moment, a hint of a smile playing at the edges of her mouth as she recalls what was, apparently, a highlight of her career.

"…Anyroad, the name’s McGinty – Mrs McGinty to you – and I’ve been cooking since I was a wee lass. I learnt my trade at my mother’s stove, and I’ve made a fair enough living off the back of it, I’ll have you know. I’ve worked in the big country houses, cooking for the great and the good: aristocrats, politicians, famous authors, stars of stage and screen… But also for the humble folk, down at the local pub or the village fete; never get too big for your boots, that’s what I say."

"As for my repertoire..." (her voice takes on a rather more pretentious tone at this point) "...I have recipes to suit every occasion and every taste, with dishes ranging from the comforting and homely to the challengingly exotic. If you would care to examine it, I have here a menu of the various culinary delights with which I might enrapture the taste-buds of even your most choosy of customers..."

From the pocket of her cardigan, Mrs McGinty brings out a folded piece of paper, and offers it across the bar...

Spoiler: Mrs McGinty's Menu
    Show
    Mutton Chops, Mutton Steak, Mutton Burger, Mutton Pie, Mutton Pasties, Mutton Soup, Mutton Broth, Mutton Casserole, Mutton Stew, Mutton Pudding, Steamed Mutton, Roasted Mutton, Baked Mutton, Boiled Mutton, Broiled Mutton, Fried Mutton, Mutton-Fried Mutton, Stir-Fried Mutton, Grilled Mutton, Chargrilled Mutton, Flame-Grilled Mutton, Pulled Mutton, Minced Mutton, Smoked Mutton, Salted Mutton, Mutton Biltong, Mutton Jerky, Jerk Mutton, Mutton Tartare, Mutton Salad, Mutton Noodles, Mutton Risotto, Mutton Pickle, Mutton Pate, Mutton Terrine, Mutton Kebab, Mutton Croquettes, Mutton Dumplings, Confit of Mutton, Muttonballs, Mutton Cachupa, Mutton Hawawshi, Mutton Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Mutton, Mutton Satay, Mutton Korma, Mutton Madras, Mutton Jalfrezi, Mutton Bhuna, Mutton Vindaloo, Chilli con Mutton, Mutton Fajita, Mutton Ravioli, Mutton Souffle, Mutton Sponge, Mutton Tarte, Mutton Eclairs, Mutton with Orange, Mutton with Cherries, Mutton Surprise.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Delta nods a bit before sitting down.

Yeah, I haven't been here long. I didn't know you were new here. How long ago did you arrive?
    'About half an hour ago, at a guess. Really not long.' Buhayyah sighs and shakes her head. 'I'm not sure what to make of this place, aside from it being safer that my homeland.'