New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XI: The Menu's Made Up and the Drinks Don't Matter

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist gives her an interested look.
    "Oh, what kind of animals? I'm not super good at riding, so it might be kind dangerous for me, since falling would be...bad. If you think it's safe I'd try it. I'm only really good at throwing knives, honestly. I guess I'm an okay shot if you gave me a gun. I don't know if I'd do very well hunting one of those giant things in the Grounds." he says.
    "Pterosaurs! The bigger ones, I don't remember for sure if these are like the quetzalcoatlus or that other one, but its not terribly important."
    Leah smiles and gives a quick nod.

"I think it'd be safe enough. I mean, you wear a parachute in case of a high fall, and the ordinary safety gear should protect you from a short fall. And that's if I somehow don't catch you. But either way I haven't seen anyone fall yet."

True, she has a very small sample size, but it only has to sound encouraging.

"As for giant things, well, you hear about them more, but the majority of things there aren't gigantic behemoths."

Mostly you get accosted by other hunters. Occasionally a moderately large reptile. And once in a great while, there's a big exciting monster.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

'What do you figure you're going to do, now that you're here?' Buhayyah says, her expression contemplative. 'I know it's the question I've been asking myself over and over since I arrived. Any ideas?'
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Delta shrugs again.

I'm not entirely sure. I mean, I know I need to find a job and a place to live first. But beyond that? No idea.

Which is kinda exciting.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist quirks his head a bit.
    "I guess that sounds safe enough. But where the heck did you get pterosaurs?" he asks, completely bewildered.

---
    ((Just gonna go since this one is kinda Mist's call))
    Mist frowns at the menu's reverse side.
    "Well, it's still kind of specific. If someone doesn't like mutton or turnips they're basically shut out. Here, could you give us an application and I could talk it over with my fellow co-owner? I shouldn't make hiring decisions without her input." he says.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

'Well, I've a little proposition for you Delta.' Buhayyah smiles demurely. 'I figure while we're in a similar sort of situation, it would make sense to stick together - at least until we're found our way in this world. I've been told it's not hard to find a profession in this city, at least.'

Being very much used to being alone, the idea of friendship isn't a natural progression for Buhayyah to make. From her tone, it sounds more as though she's offering some variety of informal business deal.

6. - Top - End - #96

Delta smiles and nods. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You'll be the second friend I've made so far. The first one seems to have gone into a maybe-permanent deadtime.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs McGinty View Post
    Mrs McGinty looks puzzled, as if the concept of a mutton-less meal has never occurred to her before.

After a moment spent deep in thought, an idea pops into her head. She smiles warmly at Naku and Mist, and says with a chuckle: "Silly dears... You didn't look at the other side of the menu..."

On the reverse of the piece of paper, another list has appeared, which definitely was not there a moment ago:

Spoiler: The Other Side of the Menu
    Show
    Turnip Chops, Turnip Steak, Turnip Burger, Turnip Pie, Turnip Pasties, Turnip Soup, Turnip Broth, Turnip Casserole, Turnip Stew, Turnip Pudding, Steamed Turnip, Roasted Turnip, Baked Turnip, Boiled Turnip, Broiled Turnip, Fried Turnip, Turnip-Fried Turnip, Stir-Fried Turnip, Grilled Turnip, Chargrilled Turnip, Flame-Grilled Turnip, Pulled Turnip, Minced Turnip, Smoked Turnip, Salted Turnip, Turnip Biltong, Turnip Jerky, Jerk Turnip, Turnip Tartare, Turnip Salad, Turnip Noodles, Turnip Risotto, Turnip Pickle, Turnip Pate, Turnip Terrine, Turnip Kebab, Turnip Croquettes, Turnip Dumplings, Confit of Turnip, Turnipballs, Turnip Cachupa, Turnip Hawawshi, Turnip Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Turnip, Turnip Satay, Turnip Korma, Turnip Madras, Turnip Jalfrezi, Turnip Bhuna, Turnip Vindaloo, Chilli con Turnip, Turnip Fajita, Turnip Ravioli, Turnip Souffle, Turnip Sponge, Turnip Tarte, Turnip Eclairs, Turnip with Orange, Turnip with Cherries, Turnip Surprise.
    ((Just gonna go since this one is kinda Mist's call))
    "Well, it's still kind of specific. If someone doesn't like mutton or turnips they're basically shut out. Here, could you give us an application and I could talk it over with my fellow co-owner? I shouldn't make hiring decisions without her input." he says.
    ((It is. Sorry it took me a while to reply.))

Naku hands back the paper, so Mrs McGinty could hand it to Mist, or change it again, or whatever she wanted to do with it. Then she just kinda stands there behind the bar, not sure exactly what to do.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

8. - Top - End - #98

Mist quirks his head a bit.
    "I guess that sounds safe enough. But where the heck did you get pterosaurs?" he asks, completely bewildered.
    Leah waffles.
    "Museums. Living ones are super hard to find, actually. Uh, that might sound bad; it isn't, I'm pretty sure. Uh, you'll see. And I gave the originals back right away."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not entirely sure what waffle means in the context of a conversation.
    "Well, okay then. Did you have a day in mind?" he asks simply.

10. - Top - End - #100

It means to start and fail to complete many thoughts.

"The first day of this next weekend?"
    Fewer people die in the Nexus on weekends, for narrative reasons, makes lots less work.

It's a silly question anyway. Mist is the one with obligations. Leah is the one who has to hunt her own food (like a snake) but has basically no other material needs or obligations, since she doesn't have a job so much as volunteer at things no one asked for help with.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mrs McGinty continues to beam a warm smile at Mist. "If a customer wants something that's not on my menu, I can always do requests..." Apparently from nowhere (since she has no room about her person to carry such a thing), she pulls out an enormous cookbook and thumps it down on the bar. "If it can be cooked, then it's in 'Old Gutwrangler'. And if it's in 'Old Gutwrangler', then I can cook it."

Spoiler: Old Gutwrangler's Encyclopedia Culinaria
    Show
    It seems that every ingredient, dish or cooking technique, real or imagined, can be found listed in this book. Whilst the Encyclopedia is a large and weighty tome - roughly the size of a microwave oven, and twice as heavy - it's clear that there is nowhere near enough space for all the information it must contain. Nevertheless, anytime you search for an entry - even one relating to something that hasn't yet been invented - you will find exactly what you're looking for.

"With regards to the application you mention, is there a form I should fill in? If not, could you give me some idea of the details you wish me to include?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Delta smiles and nods. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. You'll be the second friend I've made so far. The first one seems to have gone into a maybe-permanent deadtime.
    'I'm guessing there must be a market district or similar about - it could be good to look there?' Buhayyah suggests. 'If you wanted to eat or rest first, that's fine. I'm in no rush.'

13. - Top - End - #103

Delta shakes her head a bit. No, I'm good to go. I don't need to eat or sleep much.

I know where there's a big mall in this city. We could check that out.
    Delta will stand up and wait for Buhayya to rise as well.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Buhayyah is quickly on her feet. When she's standing, it's more noticeable how different her build is from a human's. Her limbs are definitely more elongated and slimmer than one would expect.

'Lead on, Delta,' she says, gesturing towards the door.

15. - Top - End - #105

Delta notices, but doesn't comment. That might come off as rude.

Instead, Delta gives a smile and a nod before heading for the door. She'll be leading Buhayya to Mallside.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist is not surprised by the appearance of the book. That kind of thing is pretty standard. He does slip through a page or two, and smiles. It's a Duane-style Wizard Manual for cooking!
    "We don't have formal application forms, mostly because I just decided we should do applications this morning. How about just your basic personal information, contact info, skills, and job experience? Maybe any needs you have? That should be enough. If you have nowhere to stay in the meantime I can offer you a room while I discuss it with Ally."

---
    Something tells me that snakes don't have many of the emotions Leah feeds on.
    "Next Saturday it is." says Mist with a smile.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mist is not surprised by the appearance of the book. That kind of thing is pretty standard. He does slip through a page or two, and smiles. It's a Duane-style Wizard Manual for cooking!
    "We don't have formal application forms, mostly because I just decided we should do applications this morning. How about just your basic personal information, contact info, skills, and job experience? Maybe any needs you have? That should be enough. If you have nowhere to stay in the meantime I can offer you a room while I discuss it with Ally."
    Mrs McGinty looks very pleased. "Oh, a room would be lovely, thank you deary. And I'll get that application written for you right away."

With this, she pulls out a large mechanical typewriter, places a sheet of paper into it, and begins typing slowly - but rather violently - with one finger. With her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth in concentration, Mrs McGinty carries on like this for some time, pausing only occasionally to utter a loud profanity, pull the current sheet of paper from the machine, crush it into a ball, and replace it with a new one.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    She is used to people using the word 'magic' to describe anything "supernatural" and she doesn't consider eldritch to be supernatural. "The differences between the world is indeed curious. Makes me wonder how we all can co-exist here so easily. But with luck I'm guessing you will find that out soon." She says with a smile. "If you haven't already of course, but I have heard all manner of theories on the subject and it does seem to be hard to prove anything conclusively." That's most likely the nexus trolling any scientist trying to find out too much about it.
    The Nexus loves to troll scientists.

It's probably one of its many aggravating hobbies.

"I have a friend who has been researching that subject heavily,"
    Fortuna replies excitedly. "She's discovered that the Nexus' translation effect covers a vast array of things, far beyond language. It translates physics and even various systems of 'magic'-"

She even does the little talon quotes there.

"-into effects that are comprehensible to the cosmology of the person experiencing it. It's incredibly fascinating. And not to mention versatile. he only place it doesn't seem to function is in the Everfree Park Inside. Which is... well... a death trap for obvious reasons."

Stumbling into an area where the physics are different from your own can be instantly lethal.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mrs McGinty looks up from her typewriter and says loudly to the room: “Does anybody know how to spell the word ‘decapitation’? I’m not sure if it’s one ‘p’ or two…”

A moment later, before anyone has time to answer, she adds “…actually, don’t worry about it; probably best I don't mention that part anyway...”, and then returns to her endeavors.

((Edit: I'll be preoccupied with RL for a couple of days now, during which time Mrs McGinty will continue very slowly to compose her job application.))
    Last edited by Mrs McGinty; 2014-09-26 at 10:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist raises an eyebrow.
    "Uh, you could just hand-write it if it'd be easier for you..." he suggests.

21. - Top - End - #111

Mist raises an eyebrow.
    "Uh, you could just hand-write it if it'd be easier for you..." he suggests.
    "So!" Naku says, turning to Mist and clapping her hands together quietly. "Anything for me to do? Have you thought about furniture rearrangements?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

By the time Mrs McGinty has finally finished typing, her hair and clothes have acquired a rather bedraggled look, her face and posture are showing clear signs of exhaustion, and her index finger has swelled to twice its normal size, going purple in the process. Nevertheless, it is with a triumphant grin that she pulls the completed application from the typewriter, smacks it down on the bar in front of Mist, and says: "Now I think I deserve a drink. Sherry please. Just give me the bottle. And a pint mug."

Spoiler: Job Application
    Show
    Application for the position of Cook at The Dancing Fox Inn

I would like this job because I think it would suit me because I like cooking for all sorts of people and non-people too because I find it interesting to see what they like to eat and how they eat because it's not always the same as the people I've cooked for before because they were different people and they were all people and none of them were non-people well except for my cats because they aren't really people I suppose and they do eat quite differently as well. I promise I will do the job really really well and I will work really really hard and I will be really really polite and I won't steal and I won't sleep on the job and I won't start any drunken brawls and I won't accidentally burn the place down (or deliberately).

Personal Details
    Surname: McGinty
    Forename: Mrs
    Place of Birth: Broadhinny, Kilchestershire, England
    Date of Birth: None of your business!
    Date of Death: Various

Qualifications
    O-Level in Home Economics (Broadhinny School for Girls)
    D-Phil in Metametametaphysics (Oxon)
    Bronze Swimming Certificate (Kilchester Municipal Swimming Baths)

Skills
    Cooking
    Cleaning
    Motorcycle Maintenance
    Archery
    Touch Typing

Experience
    Kitchen Maid at Broadhinny House, Broadhinny, Kilchestershire
    Commis Chef at the Golden Truffle, Kilchester, Kilchestershire
    Sous Chef at the Golden Truffle, Kilchester, Kilchestershire
    Head Cook at Weston Manor, Weston-on-the-Lam, Berglohampcestershire

Personal Interests
    Gambling on the Horses
    Sherry Drinking
    Mexican Daytime Soap Operas
    Transcendental Meditation
    Crossword Puzzles

Contact Info
    Just yell. I’m only sitting over here.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist looks up at Naku.
    "I have, but nothing specific in mind. Did you have any ideas?" he asks her
    ---
    Mist takes the form, placing it delicately in a folder under the bar.
    "Coming right up. "he says before fetching her the items. "anything else? that finger doesn't look too good."

24. - Top - End - #114

It may at some point be an appointed time on a Saturday. Leah is not early, nor on time. Eventually it is clear that she will not arrive at all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mist takes the form, placing it delicately in a folder under the bar.
    "Coming right up. "he says before fetching her the items. "anything else? that finger doesn't look too good."
    "Nothing a little nip of sherry won't fix.." replies Mrs McGinty, filling the mug almost to the brim.

A few big glugs later, with the mug now half empty, she casts her eye around the Inn, before addressing Mist in a respectful tone: "So, boss, how did you come to end up running this fine establishment?"
    Last edited by Mrs McGinty; 2014-10-01 at 11:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

A soft blue light flashes at the tavern door. The light blue glow grows around the door handle as a translucent arm passes through the wooden structure following the motions one might if they had actually opened the door.
    A second latter a young boy completely formed of this semi transparent, incorporeal flesh walks into the bar, side stepping an invisible closing door.

The boys features are hard to read as the light creating his form wisps around like waves of smoke, however his eyes remain clear, and above his light hearted step, friendly smile or inquisitive glances (that fall on empty chairs) behind his eyes is a deep sorrow and confusion.

He stands at the door in an eerie utter silence, looking around, basking in his own soft inward hazy blue glow.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2014-10-01 at 01:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist sighs, laying an elbow on the counter and his head on that hand.
    "I was a waiter here for a year and a half, and then the boss wanted out, so I got co-ownership. Simple as that."
    He's still not totally happy with it. He still thinks he enjoyed his days of less-responsibility more.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Mist sighs, laying an elbow on the counter and his head on that hand.
    "I was a waiter here for a year and a half, and then the boss wanted out, so I got co-ownership. Simple as that."
    He's still not totally happy with it. He still thinks he enjoyed his days of less-responsibility more.
    "Hard work, is it?" asks Mrs McGinty. "Customers give you a lot of trouble? Seems like a calm enough place now, but you must get some rowdy sorts show up from time to time." Glancing over at Naku - and remembering the Barmaid's smile earlier on - she adds "Though I'm guessing there's not much the pair of you can't handle, if it comes to a scrap..."

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    The Nexus loves to troll scientists.

It's probably one of its many aggravating hobbies.

"I have a friend who has been researching that subject heavily,"
    Fortuna replies excitedly. "She's discovered that the Nexus' translation effect covers a vast array of things, far beyond language. It translates physics and even various systems of 'magic'-"

She even does the little talon quotes there.

"-into effects that are comprehensible to the cosmology of the person experiencing it. It's incredibly fascinating. And not to mention versatile. he only place it doesn't seem to function is in the Everfree Park Inside. Which is... well... a death trap for obvious reasons."

Stumbling into an area where the physics are different from your own can be instantly lethal.
    Quite, funny how internal planes like the elemental or the eldritch and deep planes (think far realms) in Cessie case are just that, while completely different ones such as the nexus are perfectly inhabitable. "Really? I have heard rumors that the parks in Inside are supposed to be dangerous but I never imagined that dangerous. Is there some sort of nexus anomaly within the area? Or has something created it?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist shakes his head.
    "No scraps here. It simply can't happen. It makes managing the place a bit easier." he says with a smile.