New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XI: The Menu's Made Up and the Drinks Don't Matter

"I haven't had very good experiences with parks," Fortuna admits. "The last time I was in one, some crazy 'agents' tried to assassinate me. I'm not even sure who they're working for."

Considering that plot started the same day Fortuna came to the Inn and thus hasn't been resolved yet in this continuity.

See!

Rebo can keep track of this stuff!

"And I have no idea what's up with Everfree Park. The best explanation that I've heard is that it's just some kind of hole in the Nexus' translational effect."

Which is, as stated, absurdly lethal.

People don't really go there.

Probably because they don't like dying horribly.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #122

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Mist looks up at Naku.
    "I have, but nothing specific in mind. Did you have any ideas?" he asks her
    "Well. Could always change things around upstairs in the rooms. Add furniture. Or down here, could move things around. Put the musical stuff in a different corner. I dunno for sure."

Quote Originally Posted by Holy-hunter View Post
    A soft blue light flashes at the tavern door. The light blue glow grows around the door handle as a translucent arm passes through the wooden structure following the motions one might if they had actually opened the door.
    A second latter a young boy completely formed of this semi transparent, incorporeal flesh walks into the bar, side stepping an invisible closing door.

The boys features are hard to read as the light creating his form wisps around like waves of smoke, however his eyes remain clear, and above his light hearted step, friendly smile or inquisitive glances (that fall on empty chairs) behind his eyes is a deep sorrow and confusion.

He stands at the door in an eerie utter silence, looking around, basking in his own soft inward hazy blue glow.
    "Good evening!" Naku says to the young boy. "Welcome to the DFI. I'm Naku." She introduces herself, smiling at him. "What can I do for you?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

The boy looks up and smiles at Naku, greets him with a small nod and then seemingly begins talking as he looks around.
    Only, no sound escapes his moving lips. He carries on briefly glancing at Naku while looking around waving his arms around to go with the story, completely oblivious, he doesn't seem to realise as he he stops and patiently looks to Naku waiting for a response.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

cool Re: Dancing Fox Inn XI: The Menu's Made Up and the Drinks Don't Matter

Someone else enters the Inn. It's Leah, only several days late!
    Although recognizable as the same person, she looks very different.

She's wearing different sunglasses.
    And she's moving in that light, unconstrained way that one does on the moon or other places with low gravity.
    Her right arm is gone, replaced with a mechanical prosthesis. Her skin is dark, the featureless matte of her living shadow constructs, and there's not a strand of hair on her head. Her dress doesn't quite fit, like she's changed shape minutely since last wearing it. She seems to have some sort of wings, made of steel and wire and shininess, folded behind her, and looks very cautious and uncertain.

She smiles at the glowing boy and heads up to the bar, seeing who's here currently.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-04 at 02:35 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #125

The boy looks up and smiles at Naku, greets him with a small nod and then seemingly begins talking as he looks around.
    Only, no sound escapes his moving lips. He carries on briefly glancing at Naku while looking around waving his arms around to go with the story, completely oblivious, he doesn't seem to realise as he he stops and patiently looks to Naku waiting for a response.
    Naku blinks slightly. She was fairly good at reading lips, and tried to run through the conversation again, seeing if she could piece together any of what he had said.
    She shrugged and tapped her ear, looking apologetically at the boy, before signing <Hello?> at him.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The glowing boy, the ghostly image of Arlen, watches as Naku shrugs at his words then taps her ear and begins to sign.

"Oh" Naku reads from his lips "so you're deaf? just my luck"
    Arlen then softly chuckles to himself in his eerie silence.

He raises his hands and shakes them and his head, slowly mouthing "sorry I can't speak wi...."
    His lips keep moving but his head twisted to follow the newcomer, never had he seen armour like that or a person like her, oh and the shiny! His eyes lit up as he couldn't help gawking for a bit.
    He looks back at Naku, lips still flowing. "...nds do. You. Under. Stand. Me?"

Arlen smiles his warm playful smile, then suddenly his light fades dramatically, so much so his limbs almost vanished entirely, within a second the blue hue was back and swirling around while he seemed none the wiser.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2014-10-04 at 03:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

The glowing boy, the ghostly image of Arlen, watches as Naku shrugs at his words then taps her ear and begins to sign.

"Oh" Naku reads from his lips "so you're deaf? just my luck"
    Arlen then softly chuckles to himself in his eerie silence.

He raises his hands and shakes them and his head, slowly mouthing "sorry I can't speak wi...."
    His lips keep moving but his head twisted to follow the newcomer, never had he seen armour like that or a person like her, oh and the shiny! His eyes lit up as he couldn't help gawking for a bit.
    He looks back at Naku, lips still flowing. "...nds do. You. Under. Stand. Me?"

Arlen smiles his warm playful smile, then suddenly his light fades dramatically, so much so his limbs almost vanished entirely, within a second the blue hue was back and swirling around while he seemed none the wiser.
    "Well, I'm not." Naku informs him with a grin. "I just wasn't sure about you. For some reason," she lets him know, hopping over the bar and walking over to him. She's quite tall, and has nearly floor length, darkish purple hair. "And I do understand you, yes." She smiles at him, vampire fangs showing. "What can I do for you?" With that, she kneels a bit in front of him, so they're on more equal height footing, as it were.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

He emits no sound in his reply but clearly he heard Naku,
    Watching Naku as she approaches him, a clear hint of surprise strikes his face then his lips reply,
    "Well this is a weird turn of events"
    His right foot slides back, he bends slightly at the knee dipping and twisting his torso side on, lastly he raises his fists.

"Now you follow me to my dreams, well that's ok, I guess I can't really lose then can I" again no sound, just the readable motion of his lips.

Without tone in his words it's hard to discern wether he is angry or excited about starting this fight, seemingly both.

9. - Top - End - #129

He emits no sound in his reply but clearly he heard Naku,
    Watching Naku as she approaches him, a clear hint of surprise strikes his face then his lips reply,
    "Well this is a weird turn of events"
    His right foot slides back, he bends slightly at the knee dipping and twisting his torso side on, lastly he raises his fists.

"Now you follow me to my dreams, well that's ok, I guess I can't really lose then can I" again no sound, just the readable motion of his lips.

Without tone in his words it's hard to discern wether he is angry or excited about starting this fight, seemingly both.
    Naku steps when he enters his fighting stance, raises her hands slightly, and backs up a step.
    "It's all right." She informs him, smiling slightly. "The DFI is a peaceable place. No one's going to hurt you."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

" hurt me?" His lips move out the rhetorical question.
    " hurt people is all vampires do!"

With a sharp twist he flicks his foot at the top of a chair leg, a strong kick to snap free a piece of wood, only nothing....
    His soft blue hue slightly flashes, sparkling as the object passes through his leg.

Arlen dare not divert his eyes from the vampire but he is clearly bewildered by the current event. He seems at a loss for what to do.

Next he reaches for a table, this time from the corner of his eye he sees his predicament as his hand passes through, again and again. He loses his fighting stance and gives up his focus on Naku as he begins desperately pawing at random objects.

With fear and horror on his bewildered confused face he looks up at Naku, hands open in front of his chest shaking, his charade of a vampire hunter gone. Wiped clean. His now expression and stance reveal him for the young confused scared boy he really is. With a tearless crying face his lips ask in desperation

"What have you done to me? What's going on?.... th this isn't a dream is it.."
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2014-10-04 at 10:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

" hurt me?" His lips move out the rhetorical question.
    " hurt people is all vampires do!"

With a sharp twist he flicks his foot at the top of a chair leg, a strong kick to snap free a piece of wood, only nothing....
    His soft blue hue slightly flashes, sparkling as the object passes through his leg.

Arlen dare not divert his eyes from the vampire but he is clearly bewildered by the current event. He seems at a loss for what to do.

Next he reaches for a table, this time from the corner of his eye he sees his predicament as his hand passes through, again and again. He loses his fighting stance and gives up his focus on Naku as he begins desperately pawing at random objects.

With fear and horror on his bewildered confused face he looks up at Naku, hands open in front of his chest shaking, his charade of a vampire hunter gone. Wiped clean. His now expression and stance reveal him for the young confused scared boy he really is. With a tearless crying face his lips ask in desperation

"What have you done to me? What's going on?.... th this isn't a dream is it.."
    "I . . . don't know what's going on." Naku has to admit, shaking her head, very, very sadly at the situation before her. This feels eerily familiar, and has her thinking back to the few days preceding her first visit to the Nexus.

"This is definitely not a dream. I've asked the same thing too often.

. . . would you feel more comfortable if I got someone else over here to talk to you? You don't seem at ease with me. I don't want to make you worry."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

"Naku? Is everything okay?"
    Leah has been watching the ghostly antics, unable to read lips, but turns towards Arlen, face showing slight concern.

"Can you hear us, boy?"

She walks over, a bit closer.

"You don't know what's going on, do you? You look like a ghost."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-04 at 11:12 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist smiles.
    "Well then, my first order to you is to get yourself an opinion on how the furniture in the main room here should be reordered, and follow it. Got it?" he says.

And later!

"Oh geez. Leah, what happened?" asks the fox, hopping over the bar and over to the now-winged lady.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Wide eyed Arlen head twists from Naku to Leah and then down to his hands.

His lips begin, "am"

"Am I?"

"Dead?"
    The last word manifests into material sound, although a silent shout the anguish and fear echos off the walls as a soft audible hum.

As he looks up waiting for answers, nothingness begins to develop within his incorporeal hue, swirling amongst his light like a moving piece of him isn't there. It grows and spreads with the despair on his face threatening to consume him, or remove him.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Naku? Is everything okay?"
    Leah has been watching the ghostly antics, unable to read lips, but turns towards Arlen, face showing slight concern.

"Can you hear us, boy?"

She walks over, a bit closer.

"You don't know what's going on, do you? You look like a ghost."
    "He can hear, and talk, just can't make any noises." But then the look like a ghost comment.

Wide eyed Arlen head twists from Naku to Leah and then down to his hands.

His lips begin, "am"

"Am I?"

"Dead?"
    The last word manifests into material sound, although a silent shout the anguish and fear echos off the walls as a soft audible hum.

As he looks up waiting for answers, nothingness begins to develop within his incorporeal hue, swirling amongst his light like a moving piece of him isn't there. It grows and spreads with the despair on his face threatening to consume him, or remove him.
    "Hey, kiddo. Don't go anywhere. You may be dead. Or you may just be an astral projection of yourself. Whatever it is that's going on, the important part is that you're still here. We're here with you. You're not alone. Don't worry. Don't be scared."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

"I died. That's why I didn't show up. I can explain more later."
    And why all the strangeness, like talking in a different font.

She shoots Mist a smile, and then looks to the ghostly boy.
    "And I'm fine, see? Don't you worry. We'll puzzle out whatever is going on with you, you know?"

Leah steps over and tries to pat him on the shoulder. Whatever is up with him, she should probably be solid to him. Manipulating corporeality and solidity is still one of her things.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Arlen looks to Naku as she speaks, listening intently he calms and becomes whole again. "Thank you" he lips regaining his posture and turning to Leah. He was about to ask a question when suddenly he felt the weight of her hand on his shoulder.

The sudden surprise made him jump, looking like a boy touched by a ghost he staggers back and trips over his own feet, hitting the floor with a silent thud.

Sitting up he looks up at every one then throws his head back in silent laughter with a big grin. Looking to Leah he begins "Ok so you can touch me and apparently I can still touh myself" he lips while rubbing the ankle he tripped on. Then as he stands he looks to Naku and with a smile mouths,
    "Your right, I'm still here and I bet it's better then the alternative. Thank you" then he ends with a large sigh.

Holding one hand to his chest "Arlen" he slowly and clearly mouths for every one to see. The wind ever so softly whispers his name within its own sounds.
    He holds his free hand out in greeting, a now pointless habit, he silently laughs and retracts it.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2014-10-05 at 03:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Arlen..." says Mrs McGinty, her grey, aged features forming a loose approximation of a kindly smile. Out of the pocket of her cardigan she pulls a small paper bag, which she offers in the incorporeal boy's direction. "Would you like a boiled sweet?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Arlen smiles as he scratches the back of his head contemplativly staring at the sweets in the old lady's hands, a lust in his young eager eyes.
    Eventually he shakes it off, politely waving his hand in refusal, not being sure he could take it if he wanted or what he would do with it.

Your still thinking and concious he reminds himself, pushing away the worries of the unknown. One new thing at a time.
    His confident smile faulters,
    Slowly and curiously he reaches out both his arms either side of him, extending one outstretched finger towards Leah's shoulder and the other to Naku's.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2014-10-05 at 12:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Arlen looks to Naku as she speaks, listening intently he calms and becomes whole again. "Thank you" he lips regaining his posture and turning to Leah. He was about to ask a question when suddenly he felt the weight of her hand on his shoulder.

The sudden surprise made him jump, looking like a boy touched by a ghost he staggers back and trips over his own feet, hitting the floor with a silent thud.

Sitting up he looks up at every one then throws his head back in silent laughter with a big grin. Looking to Leah he begins "Ok so you can touch me and apparently I can still touh myself" he lips while rubbing the ankle he tripped on. Then as he stands he looks to Naku and with a smile mouths,
    "Your right, I'm still here and I bet it's better then the alternative. Thank you" then he ends with a large sigh.

Holding one hand to his chest "Arlen" he slowly and clearly mouths for every one to see. The wind ever so softly whispers his name within its own sounds.
    He holds his free hand out in greeting, a now pointless habit, he silently laughs and retracts it.
    "That's the right attitude!" Naku says, grinning along with him.

Arlen smiles as he scratches the back of his head contemplativly staring at the sweets in the old lady's hands, a lust in his young eager eyes.
    Eventually he shakes it off, politely waving his hand in refusal, not being sure he could take it if he wanted or what he would do with it.

Your still thinking and concious he reminds himself, pushing away the worries of the unknown. One new thing at a time.
    His confident smile faulters,
    Slowly and curiously he reaches out both his arms either side of him, extending one outstretched finger towards Leah's shoulder and the other to Naku's.
    Well. Naku's as solid as any other real living person, so whatever would happen to anyone else happens to Naku as the finger gets poked at her.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Leah nods. She's not sure what the boy said, but Naku said it was the right attitude, so surely it was.
    "Right. Harlen? Arlen."
    Leah is then poked in the shoulder, which is as solid as the rest of her.

Turns back to Mist with a smile.
    "Sorry. You were being concerned?"
    She shrugs.
    "I went out to investigate something on the Wall, and I got killed. Not sure how; I can't remember any of it. But thanks to Kes and my dad, I got better. Sort of."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Arlen's finger disappears into Naku's shoulder with a fizzle of light, whie on the other hand (litteraly) his finger bends against Leah's.

He looks at his hands them the girls and finally begins moving his lips at Leah while touching his index fingers together.

Naku will see the words as - why is it that you are real to me? Do you think there is a way I can learn to do what you do? I mean like, live in both worlds?
    Arlen holds a hopeful plea in his eyes as he carries on.

23. - Top - End - #143

Arlen's finger disappears into Naku's shoulder with a fizzle of light, whie on the other hand (litteraly) his finger bends against Leah's.

He looks at his hands them the girls and finally begins moving his lips at Leah while touching his index fingers together.

Naku will see the words as - why is it that you are real to me? Do you think there is a way I can learn to do what you do? I mean like, live in both worlds?
    Arlen holds a hopeful plea in his eyes as he carries on.
    Naku relays to Leah, not really having anything else she could say. "Talking to everyone, I think, should be first." Naku adds with a bit of a smile.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist gives her a heavy, blank, dumbfounded look.
    "Wait, no, what? You what?" Mist gently puts his hands on her shoulders and looks her over.
    "Are- are you okay? Did it all go smoothly? Oh geez, Leah..." he says, more than a bit at a loss.

25. - Top - End - #145

"I think it's probably possible, but I don't know how to teach you. A friend gave me a talisman that let me act in this world, but it's been damaged; it wouldn't work for you. We, I heard something, I thought, when you said your name. Can you try to say things the same way you did then? I'm sorry."
    Leah shrugs, hands open helplessly.
    "I'll see if we can maybe make something like it for you, but don't hold your breath hoping for it."

Shakes her head at Mist. When looked over, all the changes are visible: different sunglasses, eyes not glowing, mechanical whirring sound, no heartbeat, skin is slightly warmer than normal and made out of shadow-stuff, bald, shaky (though that's probably just nerves), voice is a little tinny, certainly doesn't smell like herself. No visible injuries.
    "Died. I don't even know how. Just, my suit stopped reporting life signs back to the recorder at home. My body was gone by the time we went to look. But it wasn't bad. I don't even remember it. Waking up again..."
    She shudders involuntarily.
    "...that was awful. I was aware a long time before I could move or see. And I'm like, a robot or something now? I don't really understand it all; I studied astrophysics, not electronics, but-"
    She waves her more mechanical hand to demonstrate.
    "-it's okay. The worst part is I can't sense emotions anymore. It's like walking into a sound-proofed room, all the time. But I've met a lot of dead people, and this certainly beats being dead. I can still come be here with you all."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-05 at 11:03 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"My body!" Just as Leah stoped talking a sharp gust of wind ratteled loose objects and as before in its own sounds it hid Arlen's words. This time it was clearer and louder, like a fierce whisper.

Arlen lept infront of Naku so she could clearly read his words.
    - "I don't know where my body is, what if something happens to it?.... Shoyler!"
    He suddenly silently shouts with excitement.

-"he can help both of us!" Arlen's eyes widen with excitement at this sudden realization, "he's a powerful old guy and I've seen him undo the vampire curse before. He's gotta be able to do something for ghosts too and maybe even find my body, you know, just so I know it's safe."

A blue glow fizzles on Naku's hands as Arlen in his excitement tried to grab them.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist still isn't quite sure how to respond.
    "Well...you went full Fey before, right? Aren't they one of the kinds that can recover from being killed? Or is that just certain Sidhe? Are you stuck like this? It's not bad, mind you, I just don't know what the story is if you don't."

28. - Top - End - #148

"My body!" Just as Leah stoped talking a sharp gust of wind ratteled loose objects and as before in its own sounds it hid Arlen's words. This time it was clearer and louder, like a fierce whisper.

Arlen lept infront of Naku so she could clearly read his words.
    - "I don't know where my body is, what if something happens to it?.... Shoyler!"
    He suddenly silently shouts with excitement.

-"he can help both of us!" Arlen's eyes widen with excitement at this sudden realization, "he's a powerful old guy and I've seen him undo the vampire curse before. He's gotta be able to do something for ghosts too and maybe even find my body, you know, just so I know it's safe."

A blue glow fizzles on Naku's hands as Arlen in his excitement tried to grab them.
    "Shoyler? We can definitely look for him." Naku says, her own excitement growing. She might not be able to take his hands, or have hers taken, but she keeps her hands there anyway! "I'm sure we can find him. Is he around the Nexus?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Arlen's sudden excitement fades away with a shrug of his shoulders. Rubbing his chin as he thinks.
    -"it's been along time but I met him at the black dragons den."

Listening as Leah talks about her death A strange new thought popped into Arlen's head and once again his focus diverged as he was distracted.

He begins by circling Mrs McGinty, eyeing her up and down, analysing the old woman as he goes around, then he moves onto Mist.
    Are you guys dead too? He eventually tries to ask forgetting no one can hear him. His train of thought now leading to the idea they are all dead in some way and this is a halfway place.

-"She is pretty old" he mouths to back to Naku while standing behind the old lady slightly nodding.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Arlen's sudden excitement fades away with a shrug of his shoulders. Rubbing his chin as he thinks.
    -"it's been along time but I met him at the black dragons den."

Listening as Leah talks about her death A strange new thought popped into Arlen's head and once again his focus diverged as he was distracted.

He begins by circling Mrs McGinty, eyeing her up and down, analysing the old woman as he goes around, then he moves onto Mist.
    Are you guys dead too? He eventually tries to ask forgetting no one can hear him. His train of thought now leading to the idea they are all dead in some way and this is a halfway place.

-"She is pretty old" he mouths to back to Naku while standing behind the old lady slightly nodding.
    "I've been older..." Mrs McGinty replies, unbidden and without seeing the boy's lips move. "I've also spent enough time dead to know that's not where I am right now. In my experience, death doesn't do good sherry..." She lifts the pint mug to her lips, and drinks deeply once again, pausing then to wipe her mouth on the sleeve of her cardigan, before giving a nod of affirmation. "And that's a very good sherry."

*Burp*