New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Kingdom of Rah [Open for Comments]

No, and I see what is unclear. The struggles described under The Blade of Kings are one and the same. I was just including the list of people who went off on this quest. Simple rearranging of the text will provide clarity.

Also, thanks, I really like those books too.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2014-10-03 at 07:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been meaning to get back to this for a while. Sorry for the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by darklink_shadow View Post
    Anything else you think needs more work.
    You mentioned that you would like to have a map. I love maps, so that's definitely something I would like to see. Have you thought about doing it yourself? I had a lot of fun making then one for An Early Spring, but it took a long time. It was based on a very helpful step by step guide for Gimp.

If a map is too much work then I would like to see a slightly more detailed description of the geography.

Anything you'd like to know before I run this game with you in it, for example.
    I don't think so. With you as a GM, I would be able to ask the questions that necessarily come up once you get started.

Anything you'd like to know before you run this game without me in it, for another example.
    More fluff is always nice, but I think I would be able to run a game in the setting. Though I would have to come up with my own answers to the questions mentioned above, so it would probably end up different from what you would present yourself.
    Characters An Early Spring: IC -- OoC -- Setting, PCs, and NPCs -- Map

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I feel your answers tell me the setting is good then. It's not so open that nobody knows what to do, and not so constricting that every game will be the same. I am also going to write a module for this, but I am not going to post it up on giant until I've ran the module personally a few times to tweak it.

And that map tutorial is great! I will try to make my own map tomorrow or tonight, depending on time.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2014-10-13 at 04:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

I feel your answers tell me the setting is good then. It's not so open that nobody knows what to do, and not so constricting that every game will be the same. I am also going to write a module for this, but I am not going to post it up on giant until I've ran the module personally a few times to tweak it.
    I agree. You don't want it to be a straightjacket for the GM.

And that map tutorial is great! I will try to make my own map tomorrow or tonight, depending on time.
    Yes, I it worked really well for me, and I'm very happy with the result considering my complete lack of drawing skills . Feel free to ask if there's anything I can help you with.

I found another one as well when I was searching for the link yesterday. It's probably more involved, but the author has uploaded the brushes used, so that might make things easier (you can also have mine if you're interested, but they're quite primitive and I don't have a jungle or a swamp brush).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I tried for at least half an hour to draw a mountain I didn't hate before giving up, so I would appreciate getting your mountain brushes! I can draw the rest. Well, probably.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2014-10-14 at 03:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Sure, I've sent you a PM with my animated brushes and a copy of the map I made.

As I said, it took me a long time to make the map, and it was frustrating at times, but I enjoyed most of the process.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

You're a gentleman and a scholar, my dear friend. Once I get a few dozen maps drawn up, which I will try to do tomorrow, I will post them!

8. - Top - End - #38

You're very welcome. I look forward to seeing the results.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is a lot of information here! First of all, congratulations on compiling all of this together... that really sucks about losing all of the hard copies that you had.

I like how much backstory that you have given your world, the history (although seemingly short in the time that it's been around) is rich and flavorful. I like that there are very clearly-defined social/racial castes - a lot of world-builders stay away from this because too many people cry that it is done as some sort of deep-seated analogy for their own racist tendencies. But, to me, this only gives the players in this world more opportunities to RP through interesting (and potentially heated) situations. That being said... I think that stat-wise the humans are a little too favored here. The dwarves have several limitations placed upon them (even listed out), but the humans get almost nothing but benefits without balance. Perhaps this is what you are going for and, if that is indeed the case, then bravo... you have achieved it! But personally, from what I have seen thus far, it feels like a stupid choice as a player to pick anything else but human as your race.

I too would like to see some maps, as these go a long way towards helping me make sense of things.

One other thing that struck me as a little strange is how universally democratic everything is. I can totally understand having that present in the world... but it seems a little too "clean" to me that all of these differing factions all vote on everything. I think that, right now, it seems like there is too much of a presence of goverment... largely peaceable government at that. Either through force of might or by concession, all of them seem to get along and/or cow to the will of the differing tiers. A D&D setting needs to be primed with ample room for strife, for conflict, for opposition. Out of the box, there should be no shortage of things that even a beginning DM could look at in his/her first glance and say, "Ah ha! Opportunity for a campaign hook here. I will have ___________ of the ___________s take this note about the troubles with __________ and do __________ with it! That'll be great!"
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, some things came up, and maps will be delayed a week. Next Tuesday at the earliest.

As for the humans: I might buff the elves a bit, and I have an idea for the Dwarves to gain some benefits. However, most play-throughs of this world will be primarily humans, if not only humans. Elves have uses, in that they are the only ones with item creation feats, but Dwarves are not actually supposed to get much PC love. They are the drudges of the world.

As for the democracy: Kirik, God of Man, gave them a government to follow. They are following it as best as they can, and it's very much benefiting humans, who are the majority. Humans get massive representation in government, with Dwarves and Elves splitting the majority of one of four major factions. The Church of Kirik has almost as much say as the entire circle of elders, and the Radiant Dawn is mostly human run.

As for strife: I will look to add more. I'm open to ideas. Right now, the Radiant Dawn has an obscene amount of power and influence. However, my primary source of strife in the campaign I am going to run hasn't been posted yet. After I play test the module I want to write, I will include it here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Got it.

As for the dwarves, I can see what you're saying. However, personally, I would either just remove them from the list of "playable races" and leave it so that somebody that wanted to make one could do it the same as if they wanted to play an orc or gnoll in a normal D&D setting... or give them something that sets them apart. Maybe their connection to music allows them to be the only ones to cast music - since the effects are mesmerizing and distracting but fleeting, akin to music. You already have it established that they incorporate illusionary magics into their songs sometimes; maybe just extend that out to have it be where some rare members of the race can hone their skills and use it elsewhere. Since illusions are all about deception and misdirection anyways, this could lend itself to further the distrust and malice that the other races feel towards dwarves. Maybe they are all considered to be "up to no good" all the time, and perhaps with good reason - this could lead to the dwarves also perhaps being the major source of organized crime, the theives' guild or something similar.

These are just ideas, by the way. Just spitballing here.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I was actually thinking of giving Dwarves free class features: they can choose between gaining Paladin Spells as a Paladin of their Character level due to their devotion to their Paragons, gaining Bardic Knowledge and Bardic Knack due to their constant bar hopping, tale telling, and odd-job taking, or gaining the Deep Warden ability to add Con to AC for being exclusively a hard working Dwarf.

This gives enough options that a Dwarven Paladin, a Dwarven Bard, and a Dwarven anything else has a good option to pick, without giving them anything out of character for the dwarves. However, in this case, these Dwarves will be more rare. Propbably give them names like "Exalts." A non-paladin with enough connection to the Gods to work their magic are "Exalts of Faith," the exceptionally sturdy dwarves are "Exalts of Stone," and the Dwarves who find that they are just good at everything are the "Exalts of Jewels"

The rarest of Exalts being the Exalts of Jewels, or at least apparently. It is not clear who an Exalt of Jewels is, as the Devouted Exalts work magic, that is clear, and the Earthenly Empowered Exalts have thicker, darker skin. The Exalts of Jewels are just good at everything. Not even great, just good.

Most devouted Exalts should become bards, so they can spread the faith and joy of their existence through song, whereas most Exalts of Stone should thank the Paragons by becoming a devout Paladin, or should serve the community in some capacity. Exalts of Jewels specifically should do whatever they feel like doing.

I'm going to need to think how I want to introduce this concept. Is it one that has been around since ancient times, or is it new?