New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Your RL alignment?

Neutral good with chaotic tendencies. I wanted to say "neutral with good leanings", but, honestly, that's good. I do not subscribe to the "you have to be a living saint to count as good, you have to be a monster to count as evil" school of thought.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

neutral, fairly strong bent towards lawful and good end of the scale

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Neutral good with chaotic tendencies. I wanted to say "neutral with good leanings", but, honestly, that's good. I do not subscribe to the "you have to be a living saint to count as good, you have to be a monster to count as evil" school of thought.
    Living saint? Nah, but for me you have to be active in your good-ness. A normal person, will say, give a beggar some cash or food. Or hold a door open for someone behind them. Or any minor little things that just come up. A good person at least tries to take steps to be good or better than they otherwise were. That's where I fail, in my mind. If something comes up, I'll generally speaking step up. But I've never gone looking to help others.

Well, I fail there, and my general enjoyment at laughing at people when they screw up.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Living saint? Nah, but for me you have to be active in your good-ness. A normal person, will say, give a beggar some cash or food. Or hold a door open for someone behind them. Or any minor little things that just come up.
    Actually, the way I see it, someone who does various minor acts of kindness towards strangers, especially acts that cost them money or effort, and doesn't do anything evil that'd nullify them, is good. A neutral person will just pass by, because they're strangers and you don't care about strangers, or would help once in a blue moon.

Being good or evil doesn't require going out of your way to look for situations where you can make things better or worse for other people. You can be either while just living a normal life and just reacting to whatever it throws at you.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Neutral Good. I enjoy studying philosophy, and I tend to put a fair bit of consideration into what constitutes moral behavior. I also have both lawful and chaotic tendencies, like I imagine most people do. Balance is important, but so is morality.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I got a blank page

but if I had to guess Neutral Good or True Neutral
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

No CN people? That's... surprising at the very least.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Actually, the way I see it, someone who does various minor acts of kindness towards strangers, especially acts that cost them money or effort, and doesn't do anything evil that'd nullify them, is good. A neutral person will just pass by, because they're strangers and you don't care about strangers, or would help once in a blue moon.

Being good or evil doesn't require going out of your way to look for situations where you can make things better or worse for other people. You can be either while just living a normal life and just reacting to whatever it throws at you.
    I respectfully disagree. I think we both see this stuff as a spectrum, there are many different levels where people are marginally better than the one before, or marginally worse. Trying to cut that into good or neutral is a lot of finagling. Now personally, I see actually labeling someone as Good means that this person does stand head and shoulders above the rest. Not nice, not better, this individual is actually Good. Now that doesn't mean they have to be a saint, but they have to try, to put in the effort to be better.

That's just how I see it anyway.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

According to the test I took, I am always more good than evil and always more lawful than chaotic, in that order. (seriously, my number of answers in descending order by alignment was LG, NG, CG, LN, TN, CN, LE, NE, CE).

Doesn't fool me though. I'm LE. There are some things you can't recover from, alignment wise. Plus I laugh more maniacally than anyone else I know, and have been told I'm one lab accident from becoming a supervillain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    No CN people? That's... surprising at the very least.
    I am True Neutral. Too much respect for my Social Contract, Deity, and Clan to be Chaotic. Too hateful of my nation's laws and legal system to be Lawful (My brother went through Police Academy. His experience related to me from that made me terrified of police and our law system). Too compassionate and forgiving to others to be Evil (I was helping one of the three guys who nearly killed me two years ago by the end of the month, and refused to press charges against him for shooting+stabbing me), but too fight-happy, amoral, and "Morality is written by the winners" to be Good (Or so others say of me.).
    I respectfully disagree. I think we both see this stuff as a spectrum, there are many different levels where people are marginally better than the one before, or marginally worse. Trying to cut that into good or neutral is a lot of finagling. Now personally, I see actually labeling someone as Good means that this person does stand head and shoulders above the rest. Not nice, not better, this individual is actually Good. Now that doesn't mean they have to be a saint, but they have to try, to put in the effort to be better.

That's just how I see it anyway.
    You've not seen just how much you take for granted 'good' behaviors. Try living in a bad neighborhood for a few years. Good and Evil start to stand out action-wise, but tend to muddy individual-wise.
    Last edited by Sartharina; 2014-09-20 at 02:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    Which makes it kind of pointless asking "what is your RL alignment". This isn't Planescape... there are no factions. Who am I aligned with? Nobody.
    Pish-posh, that's only true if you take "align" and "faction" in a way that's literal to the point of absurdity.

Living saint? Nah, but for me you have to be active in your good-ness. A normal person, will say, give a beggar some cash or food. Or hold a door open for someone behind them. Or any minor little things that just come up. A good person at least tries to take steps to be good or better than they otherwise were. That's where I fail, in my mind. If something comes up, I'll generally speaking step up. But I've never gone looking to help others.

Well, I fail there, and my general enjoyment at laughing at people when they screw up.
    One needs must distinguish between a choice and a rote. People give money not because it's a good deed, but because people accept is as a good deed and it allows one to pass on responsibility. Money isn't a good thing, money is an excuse.

As a total aside, I don't give money, and make a point of saying so directly when people approach me with a hand out. I've bought someone food, gas, I've given clothes off my back, and similar. But that's direct, and makes sure that they get help if they need it and neatly avoids the people who are in the same spot, every day, drink as sin, and always asking for 63 cents to make the bus to get to their baby-daddy's to pick up their kid.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Chaotic Good, maaaaaan.

Or at least, I try to be Good, and I'm reasonably sure I'm not actively Evil.
    Last edited by MrConsideration; 2014-09-20 at 03:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would say somewhere between TN and CE.
    *Does Test*
    I got a Error. So apparently I'm Far Realms.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    You've not seen just how much you take for granted 'good' behaviors. Try living in a bad neighborhood for a few years. Good and Evil start to stand out action-wise, but tend to muddy individual-wise.
    Maybe. Hmm. Actually I think I was going to respond to the quote you quoted? Heh.

I think something that should be noted, several something's really, is that you won't necessarily like a good person; a good person won't necessarily like you; good does not preclude selfishness or aggression.

We think of good people in the alignment sense as like, being good, man. But we don't realize that they may well hate is for out failings. For our allowing racism and bigotry. For our prejudices we are blind to. For being functionally just another wicked wheel in the machinery, our clique dismissing and insulting everyone else's clique just like every other clique does, and how from the outside it's all useless, stupid and petty, this fighting over points and superiority instead of just being good.

Good will allow redemption, but it won't sit there and sigh laboriously when you declare you're not in the wrong and don't need to be redeemed. It will do to you what it does to all unrepentant and irredeemable wickedness, as severity demands. "there is a harsh white flame at the heart of the Light", they say.

Quote Originally Posted by MrConsideration View Post
    Chaotic Good, maaaaaan.

Or at least, I try to be Good, and I'm reasonably sure I'm not actively Evil.
    I do. Not in the overtly moral sense but in the "willingt o do what I feel is right, damn the cost" sense. That directly leads, by hypothetical extension, a sort of selfishness, a narcissism that transcends mere self adulation, and allows for the hypocrisy of accepting that without objective morality you're not really evil, but I am going to punish you anyway.

But I also try for good so, I'm sticking with my Druidic neutrality.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Without using the test, i'd say that I'm certainly Good, and basically lawful, with tendencies toward neutral. Or neutral, with lawful tendencies...
    So, LG and/or NG.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm lawful good, but I usually choose good over law.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    I have. I don't think it's all that relevant, there were still people who took time and resources to help others, many who did not. That does not alter my opinion on where the line is drawn between a decent human being and a Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    One needs must distinguish between a choice and a rote. People give money not because it's a good deed, but because people accept is as a good deed and it allows one to pass on responsibility. Money isn't a good thing, money is an excuse.

As a total aside, I don't give money, and make a point of saying so directly when people approach me with a hand out. I've bought someone food, gas, I've given clothes off my back, and similar. But that's direct, and makes sure that they get help if they need it and neatly avoids the people who are in the same spot, every day, drink as sin, and always asking for 63 cents to make the bus to get to their baby-daddy's to pick up their kid.
    I agree, mostly. Not entirely relevant to my main point though.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chaotic Good

I find it a bit alarming how many Evil alignments there are here. Kind of like how whenever I see a psychopath test posted in a forum, there's always at least some high-scorers...

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    Chaotic Good

I find it a bit alarming how many Evil alignments there are here. Kind of like how whenever I see a psychopath test posted in a forum, there's always at least some high-scorers...
    Moral subjectivity will do that. It's not objectively bad to be evil, so people feel it's valid.

Of course, moral objectivity just gets you dogmatic evil people, so maybe the problem is "people" and not "subjective"?

Although honestly I'm less worried about the number of people who ping as evil and more about the lack of insight and actual decision making in the process. But hey.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Well, I don't use the same heuristics for each situation, and I find morality to be incredibly subjective. Hence my previously-stated score of TN. (Of course, being objective about morality can also give false "evil" positives.)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DM Nate View Post
    Well, I don't use the same heuristics for each situation, and I find morality to be incredibly subjective. Hence my previously-stated score of TN. (Of course, being objective about morality can also give false "evil" positives.)
    I don't know. I've always found morality pretty simple to assess. Step 1: Are you taking action that you know will notably harm other people? Step 2: If yes to step 1, are you preventing a greater harm to those other than yourself by your actions, I.E. if I don't take this intervention more people will die? Step 3: If no to step 2, you are committing evil. If yes to step 2, are your actions disproportionate to the harm needed to be inflicted, I.E. shooting a person dead to prevent a property crime? If yes, you are committing evil.

Good is more intangible, admittedly, but in general it's the inverse of evil: Taking actions that will help people. Neutral I'd say is looking out for number 1, not going out of your way to hurt people but also not going out of your way to help people, occasionally helping yourself at the expense of others or giving to benefit people (most often people you know).
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I don't know. I've always found morality pretty simple to assess. Step 1: Are you taking action that you know will notably harm other people? Step 2: If yes to step 1, are you preventing a greater harm to those other than yourself by your actions, I.E. if I don't take this intervention more people will die? Step 3: If no to step 2, you are committing evil. If yes to step 2, are your actions disproportionate to the harm needed to be inflicted, I.E. shooting a person dead to prevent a property crime? If yes, you are committing evil.

Good is more intangible, admittedly, but in general it's the inverse of evil: Taking actions that will help people. Neutral I'd say is looking out for number 1, not going out of your way to hurt people but also not going out of your way to help people, occasionally helping yourself at the expense of others or giving to benefit people (most often people you know).
    The first issue that generally comes up is lack of consensus on what constitutes 'harm,' and how an action's capacity to harm can be quantified in both the short term and long term. For example, a paladin's heroic smiting of the overlord - who actually pings as Evil - could well set off a chain of events leading to widespread starvation, which sounds a lot like 'harm' regardless of whether or not you give the paladin a pass on killing the overlord in the first place.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Also, by that proposed definition, "good" is simply "helping maintain current society." That's not really a moral.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

EasyDamus gave me: Chaotic Neutral (72% Chaotic, 62% Good)
    OKCupid didn't show my results, but I feel like the answers I gave there would've gotten a similar rating
    HelloQuizzy gave me: Neutral Good (+2 Chaos, -19 Evil, 12 Balance)
    MJYoung gave me Chaotic Neutral (61% Chaotic, 55.7% Good)
    Last edited by Tragak; 2014-09-22 at 10:56 AM.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DM Nate View Post
    Also, by that proposed definition, "good" is simply "helping maintain current society." That's not really a moral.
    Course not. Society can be harmful to its participants. Good can involve breaking or opposing laws, it just can't involve trying to hurt people more than helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    The first issue that generally comes up is lack of consensus on what constitutes 'harm,' and how an action's capacity to harm can be quantified in both the short term and long term. For example, a paladin's heroic smiting of the overlord - who actually pings as Evil - could well set off a chain of events leading to widespread starvation, which sounds a lot like 'harm' regardless of whether or not you give the paladin a pass on killing the overlord in the first place.
    Double check. The criteria I used require you to know that you're causing harm. In your scenario, the paladin would have to know that his act would lead to starvation for him to take a ding to his alignment, and wouldn't take the ding if he honestly had reason to believe that hunger would be less damaging to the citizens of the nation than the overlord's rule (not likely, but there are some tyrants in fantasy who are ruthless and cruel enough towards their subjects that it's possible). It's the same reason nonsapient animals can't be anything other than neutral, they lack the capacity to understand the consequences of their actions. And harm isn't that hard to define, a pretty good start is "If I ask the person affected how they feel about this happening to them, will they be horrified?" It's not a perfect test (for example, is someone with enough money that their children will never need to work even after the act of theft actually harmed by someone running off with a portion of their money?), but it's a pretty solid one for 99% of situations.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Course not. Society can be harmful to its participants. Good can involve breaking or opposing laws, it just can't involve trying to hurt people more than helping them.
    Wait, so you're saying that you are allowed to reject the norms of society in order to bring about what your personal code deems "best" for other individuals?

And how is this different from "evil"?

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Double check. The criteria I used require you to know that you're causing harm. In your scenario, the paladin would have to know that his act would lead to starvation for him to take a ding to his alignment, and wouldn't take the ding if he honestly had reason to believe that hunger would be less damaging to the citizens of the nation than the overlord's rule (not likely, but there are some tyrants in fantasy who are ruthless and cruel enough towards their subjects that it's possible). It's the same reason nonsapient animals can't be anything other than neutral, they lack the capacity to understand the consequences of their actions. And harm isn't that hard to define, a pretty good start is "If I ask the person affected how they feel about this happening to them, will they be horrified?" It's not a perfect test (for example, is someone with enough money that their children will never need to work even after the act of theft actually harmed by someone running off with a portion of their money?), but it's a pretty solid one for 99% of situations.
    1. "Know you're causing harm" allows for willful ignorance, unless you're going to further refine your definition. Stubbornly refusing to consider the outcome of your actions should not allow for them to be Good on the cosmic scale. By your definition, involuntary manslaughter is never Evil, for example, while the paladin I described knows he's committing murder and should fall. Granted, I've seen some alignment debates that essentially concluded that any paladin who uses lethal force should instantly fall, but. . . .

2. Your definition of "harm" clearly works. . . for you. It's not a universal definition, and I'll go on record as believing the margin of difference of opinion is a good bit higher than the 1% you're positing.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    I would say somewhere between TN and CE.
    *Does Test*
    I got a Error. So apparently I'm Far Realms.
    Far Realms alignment added.

And because I like percentages:

So far a little over 30% of the posters is Lawful, exactly 50% is Neutral (on the Law-Chaos axis), and a little under 20% are Chaotic.

Additionally, a little above 42% of the posters is Good, just as many are Neutral (on the Good-Evil axis) and a little above 15% is Evil.

So that means that if this forum is an indication, 3 out of 20 people would happily harm or even kill others to get what they want. Have fun sleeping tonight.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

DM Nate: Because helping people is judged by what the recipient of the help desires?

Amphetryon: How is "Harm is that which the recipient finds harmful" not universal? And willful ignorance requires one to be aware of the facts you're denying, which would in this case ping (you're trying to rationalize away your harm rather than being unaware of it).

Speaking of willful ignorance...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Unless they're someone who needs/deserves to be hurt. Good isn't "Be a doormat".