New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Anyone know of a program that can chart this: Roll 3d4+3d6 and keep best 3/6 dice?

Anyone know of a program that can chart this:

Roll 3d4+3d6 and keep best 3/6 dice?

Roll 4d4+4d6 and keep best 3/8 dice?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Anyone know of a program that can chart this: Roll 3d4+3d6 and keep best 3/6 dice

Excel(or open office calc) should do the trick. I can try to write out the functions in a spare moment.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Anyone know of a program that can chart this: Roll 3d4+3d6 and keep best 3/6 dice

Quote Originally Posted by Bulhakov View Post
    Excel(or open office calc) should do the trick. I can try to write out the functions in a spare moment.
    Thank you sir!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I believe for Excel

=RANDBETWEEN(1,4) should give you the equivalent of a d4
    =RANDBETWEEN(1,6) should give you a d6

=LARGE([Enter range of values],1) - Should give you the highest value
    =LARGE([Enter range of values],2) - 2nd highest
    =LARGE([Enter range of values],3) - 3rd highest
    Last edited by ElenionAncalima; 2014-09-19 at 10:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was about to suggest:

= INT(RAND()*x)+1 // for dx dice rolls
    = LARGE (range,n) // n-th largest number in range

if you wan't to qucikly "reroll ", just press Delete while on an empty cell

or do you want to generate a large set to chart the distribution?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The average is 12.3151.
    The standard deviation is 2.2576.

The distribution and cumulative distribution are:
    3 0.01% 0.01%
    4 0.04% 0.05%
    5 0.15% 0.20%
    6 0.56% 0.77%
    7 1.48% 2.24%
    8 3.10% 5.35%
    9 5.83% 11.18%
    10 9.72% 20.90%
    11 13.28% 34.18%
    12 16.91% 51.09%
    13 17.30% 68.39%
    14 15.10% 83.49%
    15 9.47% 92.96%
    16 5.19% 98.15%
    17 1.39% 99.54%
    18 0.46% 100.00%
    While this distribution reduces the probability of really bad rolls, it doesn't increase the probability of rolls of 17 or 18 one iota, and doesn't increase the odds of 15s and 16s by a huge amount. The probability of a 15 or greater is 16.5%, compared to 9.3% with a straight 3d6. The probability of a ten or less is 20.9%, compared with 50% with 3d6. Mostly it turns bad rolls into average or slightly above average rolls. 62.6% of all rolls will be in the range 11-14, and 81.8% will be in the range 10 - 15.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thank you! I thought it would be a good system to add meat to the middle. I am thinking of using this system, or talking my friend into it for 5e D&D.

I also think it would work well for Delta Green Call of Cthulhu, as the characters always seem to come out with worse stats then the examples given for each agency.

I asked the creator of this webpage for help, and got this result http://anydice.com/program/46be .

And this result 4d4 + 4d6, keep best 3 . . . http://anydice.com/program/46bf .
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2014-09-19 at 05:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Then why keep fighting with random rolls?? I can't stand them myself. Use a standard array or some other purely deterministic system that gives the numbers you want.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Anydice can do this pretty easily, and it outputs pretty graphs. It was linked above, but it warrants repeating. It's also a more powerful tool than it looks like, once you get into dice which are dice combinations and such.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    Then why keep fighting with random rolls?? I can't stand them myself. Use a standard array or some other purely deterministic system that gives the numbers you want.
    Because some people prefer it that way. They get to play with their preferences, just as you get to play with yours.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Some people don't actually even think to use deterministic answers for some reason. So i'm saying.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Some people don't actually even think to use deterministic answers for some reason. So i'm saying.
    Don't worry. There is no chance that anybody active enough to be on this forum has failed to have that idea presented to them, with great vim and vigor. If they haven't considered it yet, then adding your voice to the chorus won't make much difference.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone on this forum has had it presented, as Jay R has said. That it hasn't been considered is about as likely as D&D not being considered for a game here.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Anydice can do this pretty easily, and it outputs pretty graphs. It was linked above, but it warrants repeating. It's also a more powerful tool than it looks like, once you get into dice which are dice combinations and such.
    Anydice is fantastic, particularly because it does the math for you.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.