New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VI: Magic Circle Against Errata

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Anyway, I just found a weird oversight - Talisman of Boccob gives +1CL on Knowledge domain or divination spells. Except that every single Knowledge domain spell is divination. I mean it doesn't break anything and the RAW is clear, but the writer probably wasn't thinking very clearly.
    But not every divination spell is on the knowledge domain spell list. E.g. Augury, Commune, Comprehend Languages.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's redundant, though, is the point--half the effect does nothing at all.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

It makes me wonder if the writers just went down the list of gods and chose one Domain + one school of magic for each without even looking at what the spells in that domain were.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ettin in the Playground

It could also be future-proofing against possible errata that changed a Knowledge /domain spell into one of a different school. Probably just the Domain+School reason, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    A lot of entries in these threads don't cause the game to not work properly. Going down the handbook's first category, races, only the Darfellan, Diopsid, Dvati (1), Humanoid, Spellscale, and (arguably) vampire entries actually cause game rules to implode. The other 18+ entries are things that are just counterintuitive, or broken monster entries, or otherwise weird, and only one of those is marked with an asterisk.

So if that's the purpose of the asterisk, it's not being applied consistently.
    The * was only used by TuggyNE so it's not being applied consistently.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

So, thoughts on the next thread's title?

Just to mix it up:
    Dysfunctional Rule Episode VII: The Force Erratas

Or, as No Brains suggested last thread:
    Dysfunctions VII: Where Everything is Made Up and The Rules Don't Matter.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

We had several votes for Mordenkainen's Dysfunction earlier in the thread...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Just to mix it up:
    Dysfunctional Rule Episode VII: The Force Erratas

Or, as No Brains suggested last thread:
    Dysfunctions VII: Where Everything is Made Up and The Rules Don't Matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    For expediency's sake, I'm going to concede to Mordenkainen's Dysfunction for the seventh thread. Colin, Ryan, Wayne, and I will be biding our time for the eighth...
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Another vote for this one.

Speaking of which, Disjunction is actually worse than Greater Dispel Magic for ending active spells.

"All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does)"

Not GDM, nothing about automatic success; just a reference to plain old 1d20+10 Dispel Magic.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's just saying that MD behaves as a successful Dispel Magic would. So no dysfunction there.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Casting my vote for Mordenkainen's Dysfunction.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I also think Mordenkainen's Dysfunction is a fine title.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Banned

Yeah, I like Mordenkainen's Dysfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Another vote for this one.

Speaking of which, Disjunction is actually worse than Greater Dispel Magic for ending active spells.

"All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does)"

Not GDM, nothing about automatic success; just a reference to plain old 1d20+10 Dispel Magic.
    Not "Potentially ending the effect" or "Rolling 1d20+10 to end the effect." Ending the effect. It just does it, same as Reversed Spell Rebirth or Iron Heart Surge.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Not "Potentially ending the effect" or "Rolling 1d20+10 to end the effect." Ending the effect. It just does it...
    Ah, but it can't do anything more than Dispel Magic is capable of. So the maximum dispel check is 20 (1d20) +10 (maximum CL) = 30, which has to meet or exceed 11 + the spell’s CL. Which is another way of saying that spells with CL higher than 19 aren't affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispel Magic
    If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

It is an interesting question whether Disjunction works against spells that specifically can't be dispelled.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Ah, but it can't do anything more than Dispel Magic is capable of. So the maximum dispel check is 20 (1d20) +10 (maximum CL) = 30, which has to meet or exceed 11 + the spell’s CL. Which is another way of saying that spells with CL higher than 19 aren't affected.
    Well, no. It ends it in the same manner that dispel magic does, not only those spells that dispel magic could.

Quote Originally Posted by MKDJ
    All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does),
    As it does. Not if it could. In the same manner, not under the same conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    It is an interesting question whether Disjunction works against spells that specifically can't be dispelled.
    Specific>General, so This spell can't be > All spells are.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-05-03 at 01:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

Specific>General, so This spell can't be > All spells are.
    Is the description of one spell really more specific than the description of another spell?

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Is the description of one spell really more specific than the description of another spell?
    Uhm, yes? Because one of them is referring to spells in general, and the other to a spell in specific.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

So Disjunction can not remove the effect of bestow curse because it can't be dispelled, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ettin in the Playground

Uhm, yes? Because one of them is referring to spells in general, and the other to a spell in specific.
    I disagree. Both are specific spells that have effects. So their effects are equally specific. That one effect has a broader application is irrelevant for the decision which effect takes precedence.

Additionally Bestow Curse only says that it cannot be dispelled, Mordenkaine's Disjunction does not dispel spells it disjoins them or separates them into their individual components. The part in parentheses references the manner of this disjunction, which is
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Dispel Magic
    A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Banned

I disagree. Both are specific spells that have effects. So their effects are equally specific. That one effect has a broader application is irrelevant for the decision which effect takes precedence.
    You mean, it is more general than the other?

Mordenkaine's Disjunction does not dispel spells it disjoins them or separates them into their individual components.
    *Sigh*.

Quote Originally Posted by MKDJ
    (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does),

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean, it is more general than the other?
    One effect affects has more applicable targets, but that does not make the rules of the effect more general i.e. liable to be superseded by another rule. From a rules hierarchy perspective Hide from Undead and Invisibility are equally specific even though invisibility affects more diverse targets.

*Sigh*.
    Look, more quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Mage's Disjunction
    All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does)
    Ending, not dispelling. Dispel magic also tells us how spells end:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Dispel Magic
    A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired
    MDJ does not say that it dispels spells. It just ends them. Since it does not dispel anything it works on Bestow Curse.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-05-03 at 04:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Banned

One effect affects has more applicable targets, but that does not make the rules of the effect more general i.e. liable to be superseded by another spell. From a rules hierarchy perspective Hide from Undead and Invisibility are equally specific even though invisibility affects more diverse targets.
    Look, more quotes: Ending, not dispelling. Dispel magic also tells us how spells end:MDJ does not say that it dispels spells. It just ends them. Since it does not dispel anything it works on Bestow Curse.
    MKDJ tells us that it ends spells in the way DM does. How does DM end spells?

Quote Originally Posted by DM
    One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.
    MKDJ ends spells "[A]s a dispel magic spell does": by dispelling them. The fact that it separates the spells into their constituent parts doesn't mean it's not dispelling them, it just tells you how, because, y'know, flavour. Role-playing game. That kind of thing.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ettin in the Playground

You quoted how the dispelling works with the spell Dispel Magic. That is irrelevant for MDJ, because it never says anything about dispelling an effect. What I quoted is how the spell ends. DM requires the spell to be dispelled to end, MDJ does not. A more elaborate explanation:
    To successfully use dispel magic you must do three things
    1. Cast dispel magic
    2. Succeed at the caster level check -> spell is dispelled
    3. End the spell as if the duration had expired

Now if you use MDJ, you have to cast the spell and it goes directly to step 3 of DM.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Banned

You quoted how the dispelling works with the spell Dispel Magic. That is irrelevant for MDJ, because it never says anything about dispelling an effect.
    Again, I repeat:

MKDJ ends spells "[A]s a dispel magic spell does": by dispelling them. The fact that it separates the spells into their constituent parts doesn't mean it's not dispelling them, it just tells you how, because, y'know, flavour. Role-playing game. That kind of thing.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm with Andezzar on this one. The way the text is written, only step 3 of the DM process is repeated by MKDJ. All it says is all spell effects in the area are ended, then it clarifies by mentioning a similar spell-ending effect. This doesn't effect the first part of the description, however, that just says the spells end.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-05-04 at 11:22 AM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    All it says is all spell effects in the area are ended, then it clarifies by mentioning a similar spell-ending effect.
    Again, again, again:

It does indeed "[C]larif[y] by mentioning a similar spell-ending effect." It clarifies that the spell is ended as a dispel magic spell does, and as a dispel magic spell does would be by dispelling them. Why would it clarify that the ending of the spell was in the manner of dispel magic if it didn't dispel them?

If it said, for example, "(ending the effect as a reversed spell rebirth utterance does)" - RSR saying "This utterance dispels the highest-level spell affecting the target creature" - would you maintain that it didn't dispel it? If not, why is dispel magic any different?

Further, it makes no difference to whether or not the spell is dysfunctional. Either it can end undispellable spells or it can't. I say it can't, because it tries to dispel them, you say it can because it doesn't specify that it dispels them (except for when it says that it ends them the way DM does, which is by dispelling them), either way, it doesn't make any difference and I don't see why MKDJ should be considered dysfunctional.

Can we please resume saving the world?

28. - Top - End - #1468

BardGuy

Again, again, again:

It does indeed "[C]larif[y] by mentioning a similar spell-ending effect." It clarifies that the spell is ended as a dispel magic spell does, and as a dispel magic spell does would be by dispelling them. Why would it clarify that the ending of the spell was in the manner of dispel magic if it didn't dispel them?

If it said, for example, "(ending the effect as a reversed spell rebirth utterance does)" - RSR saying "This utterance dispels the highest-level spell affecting the target creature" - would you maintain that it didn't dispel it? If not, why is dispel magic any different?

Further, it makes no difference to whether or not the spell is dysfunctional. Either it can end undispellable spells or it can't. I say it can't, because it tries to dispel them, you say it can because it doesn't specify that it dispels them (except for when it says that it ends them the way DM does, which is by dispelling them), either way, it doesn't make any difference and I don't see why MKDJ should be considered dysfunctional.

Can we please resume saving the world?
    See, now this is the point that is causing confusion. It doesn't matter if it says it 'dispels' or not. It says it ends the effect as DM does. DM ends the effect by forcing the duration to run out, so that's what MKDJ does. It forces all spell effects in the area to stop by forcing them to the end of their duration.

Does it dispel effects that say they can't be dispelled? That depends on how the individual spell is written. If the spell has a finite duration, then yes it does. If it has a duration of Instantaneous or Permanent, then no it doesn't. These are the exact same stipulations that DM has so, fundamentally, there shouldn't be an issue. Are there spells out there that this particular nit needs to be picked? I seriously doubt it but it needs to be said as that's what MKDJ says.

It's a scholastic difference that will probably never come up in game, but it's strange enough to warrent discussion.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    See, now this is the point that is causing confusion. It doesn't matter if it says it 'dispels' or not. It says it ends the effect as DM does. DM ends the effect by forcing the duration to run out, so that's what MKDJ does. It forces all spell effects in the area to stop by forcing them to the end of their duration.
    DM also ends the spell effect by dispelling it. MKDJ ends the spell as DM does. Therefore?

Yes, MKDJ ends the spell as though its duration had run out.

I mean, on the point of "Ending" the spell, DM makes reference to "Ending" a spell:

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object
    But it also tells you how it achieves this:

Targeted Dispel

One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

If you target an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning), you make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature.
    So, what does "[A]s a dispel magic does" mean? It means:
    • The spell is dispelled.
    • It ends as though its duration had expired.
    • The effect of a spell with instantaneous duration can't be ended in this way.

Why? Because those are three different things that are listed in the Dispel Magic spell description. Why choose only the second one? (Because DM says that instantaneous spell effects can't be dispelled but not that they can't be ended, so if it's not dispelling, well...). There's no reason to pick out the idea of ending as though its duration had expired, but not to pick out the idea of being dispelled, when both are equally descriptions of how DM ends spells, and therefore how MKDJ ends spells.

30. - Top - End - #1470

BardGuy

So, what does "[A]s a dispel magic does" mean? It means:
    • The spell is dispelled.
    • It ends as though its duration had expired.
    • The effect of a spell with instantaneous duration can't be ended in this way.
    I think you are misunderstanding me a bit here. Explicitly stated in the description:
    • DM: dispel spell, end as though duration had expired
    • MKDJ: end as though duration had expired

The core of the dysfunction here is simply: does MKDJ mean
    • A: dispel = end as though duration had expired
      or
    • B: dispel =/= end as though duration had expired

A means that MKDJ doesn't get through dispel, B means that it does. I'm not arguing either of these statements is true or false, I'm simply pointing out that the text does not make it clear which is correct. That makes this a dysfunction.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2015-05-04 at 03:05 PM.