New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules VI: Magic Circle Against Errata

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Charging never betters better (or worse) if you are really fast (or slow) except if you use a lance on a mount (even if it is slower than you are on foot).
    ... I know your speaking English, but can you actually speak it, because your sentence keeps breaking my brain.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    ... I know your speaking English, but can you actually speak it, because your sentence keeps breaking my brain.
    He's saying that not only does the effectiveness of a charge stay the same regardless of your speed, but you could be faster than a horse and still need to use the horse to deal double damage with a lance.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlawbliss View Post
    I think the lance part is more having a 1 ton horse moving with you then speed (this isn't worthy of killing cat girls over, it would take moving at a speed of over 100 ft/rd for a 200 lb creature to mimic the energy gained from adding a horses mass to your own)
    Let's say, hypothetically, that you have a mount with a move speed of... 5ft, since that's the minimum. Maybe it's a very slow giant or something, I dunno.

And you, in turn, are a Monk with a move speed of 90ft. Plus a bit more, if we add on various applicable feats and the Quick trait. Get proficiency in a lance through whatever means.

Charging on the shoulders of Captain Slow the Hibernating Giant will still be more effective than speed-blitzing with your Monk-based super-speed.

I'm pretty sure that the double damage on a charge thing is just a legacy mechanic from back when you'd maybe get two attacks per round as a Fighter anyway.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Eldritch Disciple can Coup de Grace with his Healing Blast. Targeted creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. (Unless it's undead, of course! )

Text trumps table. Advancement table for Oozemaster says about sizable Charisma penalties every even level. Text disagree.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Text trumps table. Advancement table for Oozemaster says about sizable Charisma penalties every even level. Text disagree.
    Where, exactly, is this disagreement? I don't find anything in the Oozemaster class description (Masters of the Wild, pages 67-68) which says there are not Charisma penalties increasing every even level.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Where, exactly, is this disagreement? I don't find anything in the Oozemaster class description (Masters of the Wild, pages 67-68) which says there are not Charisma penalties increasing every even level.
    Dunno... Same reason why Vermin Lord have(n't) his pincer claws?..

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

didnt see this in the handbook, and there might be something im missing but: the rod of wonder can shrink the wielder to 1/12 their original height with no save. but theres no change in size category, reach, or speed. so if a 6' tall human used it they would be a medium sized 6" human with a 30' movement speed. if it happened to a large creature with 50' speed, theyd still count as large, still have 10' reach and still move 50'/round
    i apologize in advance for being wrong, im not quite there yet!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Eldritch Disciple can Coup de Grace with his Healing Blast. Targeted creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. (Unless it's undead, of course! )
    ...I don't think this is remotely true. As per coup-de-grace:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.
    A Healing Blast is not a melee weapon, nor is it a bow or crossbow. Thus, you can't CDG with it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    ...I don't think this is remotely true. As per coup-de-grace:

A Healing Blast is not a melee weapon, nor is it a bow or crossbow. Thus, you can't CDG with it.
    Eldritch Glaive? Eldritch Claws? Hideous Blow?
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2014-09-29 at 11:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Eldritch Glaive? Eldritch Claws? Hideous Blow?
    The first uses up a full-round action to form it, and is used to attack with it. it'll dissipate by the time you have actions available to CDG with it. The second you can CDG with, but not apply Healing Blast to, since you can't use blast essences with your claws (which are not an eldritch blast to begin with). The third uses up a standard action, and thus is incompatible with the full-round required for CDG, in addition to not leaving something around for you to use.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

The first uses up a full-round action to form it, and is used to attack with it. it'll dissipate by the time you have actions available to CDG with it. The second you can CDG with, but not apply Healing Blast to, since you can't use blast essences with your claws (which are not an eldritch blast to begin with). The third uses up a standard action, and thus is incompatible with the full-round required for CDG, in addition to not leaving something around for you to use.
    Quicken Spell-Like Ability?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Still doesn't solve the problem that these two (eldritch glaive and hideous blow) aren't "use the action, get a weapon", they're "you make an attack". So a Quickened Eldritch Glaive doesn't give you a glaive which you can use as you please, it would let you full-attack as a swift action, and a Quickened Hideous Blow just lets you make an attack that EB damage gets added to. And an attack is not the same thing as a CDG, so you couldn't use the attacks provided to do that.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't Complete Arcane introduce some rules for Coup de Grace with spells? Or am I misremembering things?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

I recall reading somewhere that you can start a full action on one round and finish it the next. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here's the SRD on it, you can start a CDG if you have a standard action, but you must finish it the next round.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2014-09-29 at 11:37 AM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Still doesn't solve the problem that these two (eldritch glaive and hideous blow) aren't "use the action, get a weapon", they're "you make an attack". So a Quickened Eldritch Glaive doesn't give you a glaive which you can use as you please, it would let you full-attack as a swift action, and a Quickened Hideous Blow just lets you make an attack that EB damage gets added to. And an attack is not the same thing as a CDG, so you couldn't use the attacks provided to do that.
    Death Blow?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't let you use an attack (such as those provided by Eldritch Glaive or Hideous Blow) to do a CDG, it allows you to make a CDG quicker. Still not possible for those two to make a CDG, and not possible to have Healing Blast hit something you CDG.

17. - Top - End - #77

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by geekintheground View Post
    didnt see this in the handbook, and there might be something im missing but: the rod of wonder can shrink the wielder to 1/12 their original height with no save. but theres no change in size category, reach, or speed. so if a 6' tall human used it they would be a medium sized 6" human with a 30' movement speed. if it happened to a large creature with 50' speed, theyd still count as large, still have 10' reach and still move 50'/round

I don't have the books in front of me, but I am pretty sure Size is determined by size, and not by race, type, etc. That's why when you Improve a monster by changing its Size it doesn't become a whole new monster.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't let you use an attack (such as those provided by Eldritch Glaive or Hideous Blow) to do a CDG, it allows you to make a CDG quicker. Still not possible for those two to make a CDG, and not possible to have Healing Blast hit something you CDG.
    OK
    At the very least, is it possible to CDG with usual melee weapon, charged with Cure ... Wounds or Heal spell via Spell Storing, Spell Storing Item, Arcane Channeling, Arcane Infusion, or Channel Spell?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that you can start a full action on one round and finish it the next. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Here's the SRD on it, you can start a CDG if you have a standard action, but you must finish it the next round.
    Doesn't help — that's just a different kind of Standard action.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Agreed, the text is silent on this.

Though I am curious as to what 1d4 points of Stunning Damage means (Minor Oozy Touch — Ochre jelly ) ?
    Is this a 3.0 thing ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

OK
    At the very least, is it possible to CDG with usual melee weapon, charged with Cure ... Wounds or Heal spell via Spell Storing, Spell Storing Item, Arcane Channeling, Arcane Infusion, or Channel Spell?
    In order of the linked things:

1.Well, Spell Storing would trigger AFTER the CDG, but yes, you could decide to heal them (and yes, it would be a decision, thanks to if-then nature, and free action required, along with "if the weilder desires"). Seems like an odd decision, but you could.

2.No, because the casting of the spell using the "wand" and the CDG would be separate actions.

3.No, same problem as Hideous Blow: standard action attack, not something you can CDG with. If you refer to the level 13 upgrade, then still no, because that's part of the Full-Round Attack action, which is different from using a full-round action to CDG someone.

4.No, because that doesn't even remotely come close to doing anything relevant. It just lets you add elemental damage to an attack, nothing about it would let you add healing to it (unless you hit something that heals from that element).

5.Yes.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Didn't Complete Arcane introduce some rules for Coup de Grace with spells? Or am I misremembering things?
    Sneak attack with spells, yes. Nothing about coup de grace.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Its really a shame that coup de grace is so limited in what it can bedone with. Means you can't coup de grace a ogre mage/troll/other creature with regen overcome by fire by pouring a vial of alchemist's fire down their throat. Which would be awesome.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

23. - Top - End - #83

ClericGuy

I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but in terms of things you could do with the negative caster level thing, you could have spells affect creatures retroactively since their duration would be negative. I feel like this could be really powerful, like if you cast glitterdust on an invisible creature a round after everyone failed to notice it and it sneak attacked a party member.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but in terms of things you could do with the negative caster level thing, you could have spells affect creatures retroactively since their duration would be negative. I feel like this could be really powerful, like if you cast glitterdust on an invisible creature a round after everyone failed to notice it and it sneak attacked a party member.
    Did you... did you just make cantrips able to travel through time?

You sir, are my hero.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    I don't think this works. Duration is one of those things that, like magnitude or heat, can't go negative. All that happens if you cast a spell with a duration of 1 round/level at a negative caster level is that you break the game.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I don't think this works. Duration is one of those things that, like magnitude or heat, can't go negative. All that happens if you cast a spell with a duration of 1 round/level at a negative caster level is that you break the game.
    Any measurement with a direction can be negative. Since duration has an, at least implicit, direction (of "into the future"), then it can be negative by going in the opposite direction. Kinda like how velocity can be negative ("How far north did you go?" "Negative 50" "?" "I went south").

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Any measurement with a direction can be negative. Since duration has an, at least implicit, direction (of "into the future"), then it can be negative by going in the opposite direction. Kinda like how velocity can be negative ("How far north did you go?" "Negative 50" "?" "I went south").
    duration is an amount of time, it does not have a direction, that is the issue with that. going back in time would mean it would still have a positive duration.

edit: i explained that poorly, it's like haveing negative 2 apples
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2014-09-29 at 08:29 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    duration is an amount of time, it does not have a direction, that is the issue with that. going back in time would mean it would still have a positive duration.

edit: i explained that poorly, it's like haveing negative 2 apples
    The difference being that number of apples is a quantity and time, so far as physics looks at it, is a dimension. We perceive time as linear, but it's mathematically more consistent to treat it as analogous to the spatial dimensions.

All donations will be given to the Save the Catgirls breeding program.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2014-09-29 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    The difference being that number of apples is a quantity and time, so far as physics looks at it, is a dimension. We perceive time as linear, but it's mathematically more consistent to treat it as analogous to the spatial dimensions.

All donations will be given to the Save the Catgirls breeding program.
    Which is fine, but duration is an amount of time, much as a cubic foot is an amount of space. You can't have a negative duration than you can a negative volume.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Which is fine, but duration is an amount of time, much as a cubic foot is an amount of space. You can't have a negative duration than you can a negative volume.
    Bag of Holding, Portable Hole, and the special spatial 'splosion they make together want to have a very loud word with you. Also if swallow whole scales with a creature's current size and not just its original size (or even if it does) you can end up with paradoxical amounts of space in a T-rex.