New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Gnome wizard help

After reading several guides and particularly enjoying Treantmonk’s, I've decided to make a gnome wizard and need some help. I need to make a 4th level character for the campaign I'm joining.
    With a 16int, should I take it to 18 or pick a feat?
    With so many spell options, even after having them rated in guides, I just can't narrow down a spell list. Would you kind people please help with a spell list?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Gnome wizard help

Which tradition were you thinking about?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Probably illusion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find that both illusion and enchantment although thematically cool, have problems with DM interpretation.
    As your Dm about how they interpreted some of the spells and the ways you would use them.

Give them concrete examples of what you plan on doing, don't keep special concepts to yourself, tell them, and ask them how they would rule.
    I find this really helps clear the air before a game.

I also find that I prefer Feats over ASI but you may differ.
    What kind of Gnome are you?
    The Snirvneblin magic feat is quite nice.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    I find that both illusion and enchantment although thematically cool, have problems with DM interpretation.
    As your Dm about how they interpreted some of the spells and the ways you would use them.

Give them concrete examples of what you plan on doing, don't keep special concepts to yourself, tell them, and ask them how they would rule.
    I find this really helps clear the air before a game.

I also find that I prefer Feats over ASI but you may differ.
    What kind of Gnome are you?
    The Snirvneblin magic feat is quite nice.
    I fully agree with DM interpretation and how it can kill a fun character fast if you don't test the waters before play. Also, some DMs don't like dealing with a ton of Conjured creatures so be careful with that one. Abjuration is always a strong choice even without playing a gish since you can send your ward to protect another player. Divination is both thematically appropriate and can be a very strong choice with all buff/debuff/save-or-suck(ish) spells and the portent ability is arguably one of the strongest abilities in the game. Transmutation can be strong but requires good imagination and is also DM dependant for how useful it's cooler features can be.