New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Tower of Xileria

Strange dreams have come to you in your sleep lately, though upon waking you're never able to recall any details of the dream; they slip away as if you were grabbing at wisps of smoke. For several days this has continued, though the dreams have not had any adverse affect upon you (aside of recalling that something seemed off about it) and they haven't been so intrusive that you felt a need to seek assistance.

Things were different last night, however.

While many of the details slipped away like normal, you can recall the image of a gleaming tower that pierces the clouds above, and a sense of foreboding as you look upon it. It goes beyond a simple "bad dream" sense, enough that it actually causes you to toss and turn in your sleep.

Upon waking, you find that you're not where you were when you went to sleep for the night. You're lying in a warm, soft bed in a large room, and at least 5 other occupied beds can be seen around the room, with their occupants appearing to awaken. While you still have your clothing, your other belongings appear to have been taken, though upon sitting up you notice that a bundle situated on a dresser at the foot of your bed contains some of your belongings; however, your weapons and armor are not among them. A dim light is filtering in through the curtained windows, showing that it is likely early morning or possibly late evening.

As you try to get your bearings, the single door in the room opens, and a young human woman in blue and black robes enters with a small basket hanging from one arm. On her shoulder is a small, scaly creature, whose eyes seem to scan each bed in turn.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Anyone who wants to can make a Knowledge (Arcana) check to identify the creature on her shoulder.

11 - It's a pseudodragon.
    15 - It's a familiar.
    20 - Something seems off about it, though you can't tell what exactly.
    Last edited by Diachronos; 2014-09-22 at 09:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Tower of Xileria

Kalendale's old bones creak as he sits up and takes in his surroundings, running his fingers through his short grey beard. The bed was uncomfortable and the room too dark. Plus he'd slept in his clothes, which tended to make his sensitive skin itchy. He grumbled and hobbled out of bed, ignoring his fellow sleepers and speaking to the lady in a terse tone. "You had better have a good reason for displacing an old man like me in his sleep, young lady. I thought youngsters were supposed to respect their elders, not play tricks on them like this. Putting me up in a room full of strangers... There'd better be food in that basket. And tell your whatsit to stop looking at me like that. Hrmph." He sat back down on the bed he'd roused from and stretched, cracking his knuckles in a very loud manner. At the sound, a lithe weasel-like creature emerges from his bedsheets and wraps itself around his shoulders. The aged elf reaches up and affectionately scratches it on the head. "Hello there, Browny. Nice to see you, too."

"I've never really been fond of those... whatchacallems,"
    he mumbles, eyeing the woman's creature. "Unless I'm thinking of something else... Am I thinking of something else?"

Spoiler: Is he thinking of something else?
    Show

Knowledge - Arcana to see if Kalendale is properly remembering what that little scaly creature is.
    (1d20+11)[22]
    Last edited by moondoggy; 2014-09-22 at 09:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

James Tourmaline

The knife's edge between wakefulness and dreaming is a fine one, and for several moments James did not know which side of the blade he was on. His first inclination was that he was indeed dreaming, for the surroundings were foreign to him. On the rare occasions his dreams were populated with actual people, they often were complete strangers, so the other occupants of the room did not initially startle him. It was only as his senses began to transmit their various findings that he understood that he was actually awake, or at least participating in particularly lucid, detailed dream.

He did not yet speak, but looked to the robed lady expectantly, noting the elderly elf's curious mannerisms with a subtle amusement.

(Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+9)[10] )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

His dreams were filled with a mountain of wrathful gold, chasing him as he desperately clutched at his burden. Before him, an ominous tower stood. Despite his misgivings about it, anything was better than turning back to his pursuer. Running to the tower, his world is suddenly engulfed in flame and-

Vaex awakes from his nightmare with a start. Finding himself in a room with a bunch of warmbloods is unusual enough, but he also notices that he is not sleeping in his armor.
    It seems that they confiscated my gear.

No sooner does the thought finish before Vaex's eyes widen and he bolts for the dresser at the end of his bed. He ignores the woman and her strangely familiar thing as he desperately searches. Please let it be here, please let it be here...

5. - Top - End - #5

Alastair

Alastair woke surprised by his surroundings, but he remained calm and assessed the situation. Where is this place and who are these people? A test? No, he was no longer in the school ... unless that was a dream as well. No it was real. It had to be.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+7)[8]

Alastair rises and bows. "My name is Alastair Dawn. What is this place and how did I come to be here?"
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-09-22 at 06:25 PM.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Tarland woke from his most recent dream rather suddenly, his heart pounding still though his mind had already moved on to his surroundings. While he wasn't sure what he had been dreaming about, there was something he was acutely aware of, this was not where he'd gone to sleep. That much was obvious, despite his eyes still being closed, the mattress had far too much give, the room was unseasonably warm, and he didn't sleep under covers, or without his armor. At this point, he began to reach for his blade, his heart skipped a beat when he didn't find it, then he scolded himself, of course the blade wasn't where he left it, he wasn't where he left himself. He decided against getting up for the moment, opting instead, to listen with trained ears, who among these as of yet disembodied voices was privy to the situation.

Spoiler: How quiet is he being?
    Show
    Stealth=(1d20+4)[11]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Azaziel

The dream went beyond what Azaziel normally experienced, this was more real and not what his dreams usually consisted of.

After realizing the dream was just that, a dream, Azaziel forced himself awake intent on praying to Sarenrae to determine if this was some sort of vision, when he realized he was not where he laid his head the night before, looking around calmly lest he alert any potential guards, he saw other beds with other people rousing. Never before had he seen such a diverse grouping of people, an elf was in one bed, and right next was a Drow, which if memory served was the enemy of elves, a few other humans were there, though none had large feathered wings from their shoulder blades like Azaziel does, and also a small kobold, which Azaziel just found interesting beyond words.

Seeing that others were waking and also had a look of apprehension, Hmm, glad to see I am not the only one who wasn't expecting this odd awakening... By chance did anyone else have an odd dream?"

He then saw the young lady walk in the room with a Psuedodragon on her shoulder, but something seemed a little off with it, although Azaziel didn't have intimate knowledge of those creatures that were often Wizards Familiars he did know something about this one was different.

Spoiler: Arcana
    Show

Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+7)[21]

Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2014-09-24 at 05:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

The pseudodragon snorted and tilted its head to the side at the old elf's remarks. (Draconic): "Practice what you preach, old man. I guarantee I was older than you are now when you were born."

The woman bowed when addressed. "No offense or disrespect was meant, sir. Lord Khamer found you all in the snow, and had you brought here to recover." She shifted the basket into her hands. "I'm afraid I only brought something to relieve any ailments you might have, but the cooks are already busy preparing lunch. I can have something brought up to tide you over until everything is ready if you like."

Her gaze turned over to the kobold, giving a small reassuring smile. "Your belongings are safe, of course. Lord Khamer wished to examine the more interesting pieces, but I've no doubt that he'll return them to you now that you're awake." She bowed again and left the basket on the nearest dresser.

She then turned to address Alastair. "You are in the home of my master, Khamer Duskmantle. He found you all unconscious on the ground a few days ago, and brought you here. As for how you came to be in that location, I can't say. Lord Khamer hasn't mentioned anything of that sort, so it's possible he doesn't know himself."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

James was already piecing together what fragments of the puzzle he could grasp. The handsome young man stood, his voice a confident baritone.
    "A case of mass somnambulism, perhaps? I've heard the word 'dream' mentioned once or twice in this strange company; I for one experienced increasingly unusual dreams in the recent past, culminating in a particularly powerful one last night. Perhaps we wandered here whilst unconscious, or perhaps were abducted in such a vulnerable state. The fact that we all wound up here unharmed to the best of our knowledge, is nothing short of miraculous."

He smiled to the woman sporting the dragon. "Relay my gratitude to your master, should you see him before I do."

10. - Top - End - #10

Trembling, Vaex doesn't find it among his belongings in the chest. His blood runs cold as ice in his veins when the lady speaks of Lord Khamer's "examination". What could he possibly...

His small wings actually flapping in agitation, the kobold points to the scaled creature that speaks the tongue of dragons. He begins to breathe rapidly, the first stages of panic setting in. A faint smell of chlorine becomes apparent in the air.

"Zyak, wux chiana vi isthasy ekess wer ilagoi? Wux tepohada thric harkt! Si mi jacida naktar! SVAKLAR UI JACI?!"
    Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "So, you betrayed a brother to the warmbloods? You had no right! I am his keeper! WHERE IS HE?!"

11. - Top - End - #11

Alastair

Alastair watchs the kobold freak out. "Tlak ni ko sha nak Ah."

Show
    "Calm down. we are all in this together."

He turns to the woman. "This all seems too coincidental. We are all having dreams and then we all wake up in the snow and your lord finds us. I am finding it a bot hard to accept." He looks in the chest at his bed.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGuy

Azaziel

"I am sure it is nothing to be overly worried about, but I know most of the others would be more comfortable to have our belongings returned. What is it that your master does? May we gain an audience with him to help allay our fears?"

Hearing the interaction with the others in draconic, "*Draconic* There is no reason to alarmed I am sure, these people have shown no hostility yet, lets give them a chance to explain before we become agitated, whatever *it* is, we will ensure it is returned to you."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy for the lady :(1d20+11)[30]
    Diploamcy to calm the others: (1d20+11)[26]

13. - Top - End - #13

Kalendale chuckles to himself at the pseudodragon's snappy response. "I don't know draconic, but the sound of ruffled feathers, or scales as may be the case, is universal. No offense meant." The elf makes a placating gesture and then begins to stroke his beard. "I remember an old friend had a pseudodragon traveling companion. Little fella was very keen on buttered salmon filet..." The old elf's ramblings are cut short by rumbling of his empty stomach. "Beg pardon but talking of food is reminding my belly how empty it is. If you don't mind, I'll take you up on that offer of a snack. Whatever you can muster will be fine and, if you have it to spare, an egg for Browny here. This old elf would greatly appreciate it."

With a mix of fatigue and bemusement he observes the rest of this group of strangers. The kobold's agitation, the conclusions drawn and the questions asked, not to mention what seemed to be a drow attempting to feign sleep. Strange bunch, strange place, strange story. I suppose a quiet week in my treetop abode is far too much to ask of life.

"Friends, no wait that word is a little too familiar... Fellow strangers, I understand this is all too odd but I suggest we save our introductions and interrogations for the lunch table, hm? Now miss... ah you never gave your name did you? Young miss, would you be so kind as to show this old elf to the table. I always say better early to meal than late."
    Last edited by moondoggy; 2014-09-28 at 04:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

The pseudodragon's gaze snapped over to the kobold. "Si chiana pamon! Khamer naktada wer nuwa'jimos de vilzriquathir ekess marfedelom, zyak sjek tivol wux jalla tiichi jacion ihk naktair coi takh!"
    Show
    I betrayed no one! Khamer kept the hatchling from freezing to death, so if anything you should thank him for keeping it alive!

The woman smiled and nodded. "Yes, of course. If you'll all please follow me, I'll lead you to the study. Lord Khamer typically prefers to eat there over the dining room, so you'll be able to meet with him while you eat." She bowed again and turned to leave the room. "He may be busy at the moment, but I'm sure he'll be willing to make time to meet with you."

She leads you out of the room and down the hall, passing by several tapestries and wall hangings. Many of them depict what appear to be family trees or battle scenes, often with the same symbol somewhere above or below the imagery. The same symbol adorns the back of the woman's robes, the symbol pitch black on a deep blue background. Along the way you pass by a handful of other female servants, though they each seem to be engrossed in their duties to pay much attention to you.

After passing by a handful of other halls, she leads you into a fair-sized room with two walls lined with fully-stocked bookshelves. A single table made of mahogany wood is situated near the middle of the room, with 10 comfortable-looking chairs arranged around it and a couple stacks of old books in the center. A large fireplace is lit in the near wall, giving the room a pleasant warmth and flickering light, and a few plush armchairs are arranged in front of the fireplace.

The woman bows once more and rests her hand upon the doorknob after everyone has entered. "Please, make yourselves at home while you wait. Feel free to read any of the books on the shelves that catch your eye. Some of them are rather old, though, so please handle them with care." With a smile she left, closing the door behind her.

15. - Top - End - #15

Alastair

Alastair looks around the room, getting a feel for the general subjects of the books.

Show
    Perception (1d20+6)[16]

"Hopefully, this will be .. enlightening."

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGuy

Azaziel

Azaziel nods to his host and heads toward the bookshelves looking for anything related to religious stories or other holy texts. Then he will take a seat and read quietly.

17. - Top - End - #17

The books cover a wide variety of topics, from history and politics to nature and biographies, though about half of them appear to be related to magic, science, or religion in some way. The languages they are written in is varied as well, even including some less-common languages such as Orcish or Gnoll. Several of the books have what appear to be note sheets tucked into them, as if whoever had been studying the book had left it there as a bookmark.

One thing is apparent to anyone who selects one of the texts relating to history, geography, or religion: the people, places, events, and deities mentioned in the writings are not among those you are familiar with. Some of the religious texts talk about deities that are similar to those you've heard of before, such as the elven and dwarven gods, but not enough for it to simply be a different name.

The most prominent deity mentioned in the texts is the deity of death and undeath, referred to only as "the Gravekeeper" or simply "the Keeper," and the illustrations all depict him in a similar way: as a tall, extremely thin skeletal being in a suit, wielding a large black scythe and with a wide grin on its face.

18. - Top - End - #18

As they walk to the waiting room, Vaex is sick with worry. The little dragon-thing's words made it clear that the hatchling was still alive, but the lack of knowledge about its whereabouts or state of health eats away at him like tiny mites.

The woman's words have been warm and kind the entire time, but Vaex still doesn't trust that her intentions are pure. Warmbloods have taken advantage of him too often during his travels for honeyed words to suffice. Still, as the woman closes the door behind her, his ignorance of the building's layout prevents him from trying to sneak out.

Bereft of any real options, Vaex curls up in a chair near the fireplace and begins to pray quietly. His voice is a whisper barely heard the crackle of the flames.

"Apsu, sargt vur opsola, ixen jacida drihliri vur nakta jacida iejir skaeren. Origato jacion waph, zyak batobot si janik wilnilg wer inglata si xurwka ekess jacida dask. Jacida ominak nishka qe Forseti, vur si nishka qe jacida naktar. Tir ti origato astahi loreat persvek ista..."
    Show
    "Apsu, guardian and father, fire his bones and keep his blood hot. Let him live, so that I might fulfill the promise I made to his mother. His name shall be Forseti, and I shall be his keeper. Do not let them die in vain..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

As James peruses the library, he can't help but avoid a certain sinking sensation. A suspicion was beginning to form in his mind as he placed certain clues together. Nevertheless, he remains calm, maintaining a certain aura of detached bemusement. Quietly, he listens, both for snippets of conversation and any other sounds that may be coming from their general surroundings.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kalendale bemusedly opens an aged-looking tome written in Gnoll. "How rare to see a book printed in such a wild language. Rarer still for it to actually be written on such subjects! Let's see what sort of information this book contains... Oh, and this one as well," he adds, pulling down another in Orcish. "I haven't had to speak these languages in a while, thankfully, but I don't think a translation should be a problem."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not entirely sure what I'm going for here, possibly information regarding magical history and/or deities, the status of the gnoll or orc races or whatever else GM deems of note to be found in such books.

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Azaziel

Azaziel reads a text about the Keeper and takes a keen interest in the deity and their holy practices, of course nothing of interest enough to veer from extolling the Dawnflower but it was interesting that this deity seemed to enjoy death and the ending of beings. Azaziel decided to pray after reading seeking guidance to fit these beliefs into his world trying to find a greater understand of how someone could seek guidance from a god who only wanted to revel in death and undeath.

22. - Top - End - #22

Alastair

Alastair sits in a chair and waits patiently.

23. - Top - End - #23

The books Kalendale finds are mostly on gnoll and orc culture, though a few seem to be on the sort of advanced scientific or philosophical topics that you wouldn't expect to find in a savage race. The orc culture seems to be mostly the same as what he'd be familiar with, if a little less savage, but the books on gnoll culture seem to indicate that their society is highly matriarchal rather than the patriarchal system that he'd be familiar with for that race.

After perhaps 10 minutes of waiting, the door you'd entered through flies open and a male elf stumbles through, his arms laden with various items. He hurried over to the table, muttering something to himself the whole time and nearly dropping a few items, and began laying out the things he was carrying. It's soon apparent that it's the equipment that had been taken, which he sorted out as he covered the table with it. Everyone's gear is fully accounted for and collected neatly together, save for Vaex's most valuable possession. Before the kobold can address him, the elf turns and heads back to the door, sticking his head out into the hallway.

"Be careful with that! Do you realize how fragile that is?!" He left the room, only to return about half a minute later, carrying one end of a large wooden box. The other end is supported by a skeleton wearing a uniform that was essentially a male version of the one that the female servants had been clad in. The elf sighed with relief as the box came to rest on the end of the table, and turned to the skeleton. "Sorry for shouting like that, Carl. I was just worried about the egg getting broken." The skeleton nodded and bowed before leaving the room, closing the door behind itself.

The elf turned to the others in the room and adjusted his glasses. Now that he's stationary, it's possible to get a good look at him. His attire is similar to an alchemist's, though of high quality and with an amulet bearing the same emblem as the servants' uniforms. The elf himself is deathly pale, with long platinum-blonde hair tied back with a strip of leather cord, and his eyes (one red and one blue) regard the party with a sense of anticipation and curiosity.

"Where to begin, where to begin..."

24. - Top - End - #24

"Perhaps with an introduction, brother. Are you the Lord Khamer we've been hearing about who apparently rescued us from a snowy demise?" Kalendale curtly asks. "I'd be greatly interested in knowing where I am at the moment. These books, while dreadfully intriguing, have done nothing to allay my concerns." He gathers his various bits and bobs, spellbook, wizardious sundries and such from the pile of his belongings, carefully, almost absently, regarding a simple braided hempen cord with turquoise beads before seemingly snapping back to reality and using it to tie back his hair into a long ponytail. His mongoose companion darts into the pile and emerges with a simple brown-leather satchel and, upon opening the drawstring, begins chewing loudly and contentedly on a hunk of dried meat.

"Of all the things I've tried to teach her, table manners never took," Kalendale says with a chuckle. Rolling up his sleeves he retakes his seat at the table. "I wonder if our kind is as different in whatever this region is as apparently the orcs and gnolls are..." he idly muses.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

James is not overly concerned about his belongings, save for one item: he is relieved to see his spellbook, and discretely returns it to his person. The elderly elf seemed to voice the question he had, so James simply stood near the fireplace, awaiting the other elf's response. He took a passing note of the skeletal servitor, unsure if it had intelligence or not; apparently, utilitarian necromancy was not looked down upon, at least on these premises.

26. - Top - End - #26

Alastair

Alastair watches the new arrival carefully and without any discernible reaction.

"My concerns are more how we all ended up in that snowy demise. None of us seem to have any connection and yet somehow we ended up coincidentally dumped in the snow near ... here where apparently you rescued us. I am all for being saved, I just want to be sure why I needed to be saved at all."

Show
    Perception to pick out any details to learn from him. (1d20+6)[18]

27. - Top - End - #27

No sooner does the box rest on the table than the kobold bolts forward to encircle it protectively. He glares at Kalendale and grudgingly says,

"...I suppose I should thank you. Vinxa. But from what your servant said, we won't be able to just pack up and leave, will we?"

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Azaziel breathes a sigh of relief at seeing all his items there and quickly says a quick prayer to Sarenrae and then sits up and waits with excited interest for more information.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kalendale's question was met with a nod. "Indeed I am. My name is Khamer Duskmantle, Royal Alchemist in the service of Lady Serana Duskmantle." A wide smile broke out on the elf's face as he spread his hands. "Although she rarely has need of my services, so perhaps a better title would be Lord of Duskwood."

He glanced over as the door flew open, with the young woman from before carrying a covered tray and the pseudodragon that had been perched on her shoulder flew over to land upon Khamer's shoulder. "Oh, Veronica, is lunch ready so soon?"

The woman shook her head and came to set the tray on the table, uncovering it to reveal a selection of cheeses, fruits and meats, as well as a couple of eggs to one side. "No, it will be some time yet. I was bringing something to tide our guests over until the cooks were done. "

Khamer nodded, his smile still in place. "Ah, yes, of course. Thank you, my dear." The woman smiled and bowed before turning to leave the room. Khamer turned back to the others. "Where were we... oh yes, how you came to be in this land!" His smile faded a little. "To be honest, I'm not entirely sure myself. The tower had appeared in the ruins of Karatel a few days ago, and I happened to find you all half-buried in the snow just outside, without a single track leading away from there. A lucky thing someone found you, too... any longer and you might not be standing here today."

He glanced down to the kobold when he spoke. "Thric rigluin ekess tiichi ve, dahakoan. I don't intend to force any of you to remain, hence why I returned all of your belongings... but I was hoping that you all would be willing to remain for a time longer to ensure you're ready to be up and about, and hopefully so that we could figure out how you came to be in this world. You see..." He pushed his glasses up on his nose, appearing to be considering his words carefully. "While you were sleeping, I did a little research with my magic and a small blood sample from each of you. And from what I found, you have no kin in these lands. Or outside these lands, for that matter; aside from you, members of your bloodlines simply do not exist in Ves'Perix."

Show

"No need to thank me, dragonkin."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Anybody who wants to can roll Perception or Knowledge (religion)
    Last edited by Diachronos; 2014-10-14 at 10:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

James takes a seat, leaning deep into the cushions of a high-backed chair. He steeples his fingers as he stares pensively into the fire.
    "I have a hypothesis of sorts, and supporting evidence seems to be accumulating. Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions, but what you have just told us, combined with certain inconsistencies a brief perusal of your library unearthed, leads me to posit the following: I believe all of us are not originally native to this world. We may all have been transported here, across dimensional or physical boundaries, to our current location. More concrete evidence is required, to be sure, but call it something of a hunch on my part."