New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull I, Smuggler's Shiv

LT(jg) holds up a hand to Vasikcharder, "Stay your hand a minute, Vasikcharder. A lone cheetah is horrifically out-matched here. That's a female, so she probably has a litter close-by she wants to protect.

"PVT Harsk ... you're up."

PVT Harsk will sling his crossbow and attempt to slowly, carefully approach the cheetah to calm it. He takes a minute and she seems to be about to pull off to the side, and the Harsk speaks to her, and she seems to .... chuffle and make cheetah noises back. This happens for an additional several seconds.

PVT Harsk backs up and reports to the LT. "She is willing to yield the ground, but she is afraid for her three cubs. Our big beasts are likely to trample them. Perhaps we can go around that way?" and he points a wider path from their straight travel.

Mr. Brauer nods slowly and says, "You speak to animals now?"

It is only at that moment that it hits PVT Harsk what just happen. He slowly answers, "... Yesss? .... sir."

Mr. Brauer nods and says, "Well, you did have a feline as your totem animal. It looked like you were successful to get her to yield, but you went above and beyond speaking to to the cheetah. I guess this is your totem awakening?"

Harsk nods thoughtfully again, "I guess so, sir."

"Well, done, Harsk. Vanguard! We are diverting due north from here for 100 yards, before correcting west by northwest."

Lalarlia ... Vasikcharder .... I shouldn't ask this, but ... are either one of you going to attempt to bother the cheetah, or do you leave her alone and follow the LT's orders?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will sheath her scimitar are comply with the given orders.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Halfling in the Playground

Vasikcharder does nothing, but travels around the cheetah and her cubs with everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #1294

The party takes the diversion, choosing an honorable path of not slaughtering a CR2 cheetah (and thereby condemning its cubs)!

When it is time to make camp, Harsk will have some alone time to think and reflect on the ordeal he dealt with today. It was not the first time he calmed a wild animal, though truth be told he was never as good as other, more personable rangers for doing so. It was the fact he felt like he communicated with the cheetah on a fundamental level that throws him. He makes tea and meditates, inviting The Tempest and Vasikcharder to accompany him, as he has many question regarding the burgeoning nature magic that has been growing within him.
    Spoiler: Vasik
    Show
    Harsk is a ranger with 4th-level ranger spellcasting, getting up to 2nd-level spells. His most common single 2nd-level spell memorized is barskin, which he is more likely to put on his badger (Biter) than on himself or anyone else in the party).

The Tempest is not only a cleric of Gozreh (not discussed at this "tea time" event, as it differs so much in that while, being divine, its source manner is so different), but he is also follows a further, rarer path of the god of nature. He is not only a "hunter" (an amalgam of druid and ranger), but he differs and specializes in such regards in that he is a "verminous hunter" .... not a hunter of vermin, but calling upon the powers of various verminkind for his special abilities. For the purposes of spellcasting, though, The Tempest also has 2nd-level spells as his maximum. Though rangers and druids both normally pray, venerate, meditate, or propitiate for whatever is needed for a day's trials (Harsk could do something other than barskin, for example) ... The Tempest's special hunts-magic is fixed in much the same way as oracles and sorcerers. His most powerful hunter spells are: summon nature's ally II, control vermin, divine trident, owl''s wisdom, & soothing word. He can cast nearly a half-dozen spells a day of this type, and at the same overall power level as your druid spells, even though you possess more powerful druidic spells.

Stephan will go through the camp as the Stephan you knew before for several minutes, mainly to let the men know that things will be alright despite all of the strange magic they have witnessed, before relaxing into his elephantine shape and going into his tent.

CWO2 Derindi and SSGT Lalarlia will conduct peer discussion regarding magical theories and enchanted items.
    Spoiler: Lalarlia
    Show
    Overall, the two of you are evenly matched, but you exceed him, thanks to an extra century-plus you have on the middle-aged Garundi-turned-birdman as an elf. That said, in case you had forgotten, where Jask has focused on the generation of energies, usually for light or battle (evocation), his weak areas in spellcraft regard enchantment and illusion. A significant knowledge drop compared to the other schools of magic. The philosophies of bringing forth real energy to do straight-forward damage makes it difficult for him to understand magical subtlety to the same degree.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295

14 Kuthona 4710 AR
    (Toilday, Third Day of Winter Week Festival)

Another day of hard travel across the dusty savannah.

That evening, the two officers will be discussing things privately. Vasikcharder simply mediates psionically before retiring. Lalarlia helps PFC Gisler (that's the one that thinks he's a womanizer) "celebrate" the winter week festival. Harsk will involved himself in psychic meditations before taking the first watch. The Tempest is fascinated by a flea that has attached itself to him, and does nothing to remove it.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-10-19 at 12:25 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1296

15 Kuthona 4710 AR
    (Wealday, Fourth Day of Winter Week Festival)

During today's travels, Vasik realizes that he has learned a lot about the outside world with the very smart people he is surrounded with. And with that knowledge, comes a reinforcement of things he already knew, but now understands a little better. That evening, realizing that something has changed within himself (hopefully for the better), Vasikcharder gives a propitiation ceremony to the primal spirits of his land so that he might understand the full weight of his powers better. Most of the rest of the others (except the main squad and Mr. Brauer) will likewise observe Vasikcharder's ritual. LT Brauer is off doing his own thing, as MSGT and the two other soldiers perform chores and watchstanding.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1297

16 Kuthona 4710 AR
    (Oathday, Fifth Day of Winter Week Festival)

Another full day of focused travel with no encounters. That evening, Vasikcharder spends time by himself in deep psionic meditaiton. Lalarlia will perform holy ministrations with CPL Ardizzone. The Tempest is enraptured studying a couple scorpions as they scuttle quietly about their own business; he is sure to show Harsk how they move about so quietly and the two have their own philosophical discussion. CWO2 Derindi meditates over his spellbook as much as studying it.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1298

17 Kuthona 4710 AR
    (Fireday, Sixth Day of Winter Week Festival)

During the course of the day's travel, Vasikcharder feels his senses sharpening and his awareness expanding.

Also during the course of the day, The Tempest will discuss and mentor tracking and survival techniques with The Sum of All Fears Squad (incl.) Harsk, and then goes over what was learned that evening once camp is made.

Lalarlia will answer philosophical questions that Caelela has during the day. (It may be forgotten, but her horse speaks Elven and Sylvan.)

LT(jg) Brauer will hold combat training with Lalarlia, Jask, and Vasikcharder.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1299

18 Kuthona 4710 AR
    (Starday, Seventh Day of Winter Week Festival)

a
    Day 55 of the Race to Tazion

The vanguard finishes crossing the last bits of the savannah before getting back to the southern spur of a jungle. Late that afternoon, the party gets to their goal they've spent nearly two months getting to .... Tazion!

The ruins of Tazion stand as a remnant of a forgotten age, an outpost of ancient Azlant lost in the southern Mwangi Jungle. Little remains within its walls, with most of the settlement having crumbled or been buried centuries before. The majority of Tazion’s structures remain unidentifiable. Centuries of weathering and erosion have transformed the once-splendid architecture into little more than scattered stones, curious topography, and fetid tar pits.

The Ruins of Tazion are contained within a massive elliptical stone ring that is well over 500 yards wide (east-to-west), and a little less north-south. (See Map on Discord.)

It was a full day of travel just to get here, so LT Brauer wants the Sum of All Fears to set camp 100' south.

As it gets dark, Vasikcharder notices something strange. He is able to see deeper into the forest than he had before!

Otherwise, it appears that the PCs have successfully come to Tazion before anyone else.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1300

19 Kuthona 4710 AR (Sunday)

The next day, Vasikcharder casts whispering lore to enhance his connection to the jungle surrounding him.

After discussion with Mr. Derindi, the two religious officers definitely believe that today - which is a Sunday, a day of worship in civilized lands - should get that honor today, particularly in celebration of their nearly two-months arduous journey to this ancient site.

CWO2 Derindi, SSGT Lalarlia, The Tempest, and even the new Vasikcharder are each given time to lead (not force) the camp to worship, or at least venerate, the various forces that have watched over the vanguard's successful race to Tazion. For his part, PVT Harsk will seek solace for private reflection today.

The Tempest gives an odd sermon, likening the vanguard to .... worms! Worms, who manage to do much in tilling the land while storms and battles and greater events rage about them. So too, does the vanguard manage to make their way through their travels, braving the elements above and below to till the soil for Sargava's future, though greater political machines work about them.

Vasikcharder, do you seek to have private communion, or to lead the encampment in some service? If so, please describe. (Role-play!)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1301

"I shall tell a tale of from my tribe, telling of the past, of ferocious beasts, furious battles and feasts, in a type of interpretive dance!" Vasikcharder hisses "In hopes you glean, learn, educate you on life from Ss'vikness Tribe."

Vasikcharder then starts to encricle the mass of the group, stomping, roaring, switching from all fours, to hunched over on two legs, incorperating Gruelop in his act, in a vecious wrestling match. The whole time, Vasikcharder was telling his story in any langauge he knows, alternating between them all, changing from draconic, talden, to plotglot, to roaring and hissing, to others, and something he was unsure he knows the name, but can speak some how. After close to 30 minutes, Gruelop has Vasikcharder in a terrible position, only to get lepped upon, and brought to the ground, with teeth to Gruelop's throat.

after, Vasikcharder joins Gruelop, and they let out as loud a joint roar into the open, then hisses at each other.

"Now that you have witnessed this tale, this tribe and my tribe are now closer to your understanding of us, may this tribe be part of my tribe.' as Vasikcharder is speaking, he is offering out lumps of red meat to each member of the group...

12. - Top - End - #1302

Jask Derindi pecks the proffered the meat from Vasikcharder's hand in a move that surprises everyone, Jask included.

On the other hand, Stephan Brauer takes the meat and looks at it queerly with his elephantine head. "I didn't even notice," he says. "This past week, I have eaten what I am drawn to, but it wasn't until this meat in my hand that I just realized .... I haven't had meat since the transformation."

He tries to bring the meat to his mouth, turning away his trunk. He tries to force himself, not wanting to offend, and it seems like the prospect is actually sickening him. Finally, he relents. "I'm sorry, Vasik. I didn't even realize that one of the unseen effects of my transformation is that I no longer seem to be able to stomach even the prospect of eating meat. I am not sickened by anyone else doing it, but it really makes me nauseous. Please forgive any trespass."

With that, he hands the meat back to Vasikcharder.

How does Vas respond?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will accept the meat and have a small bite.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

14. - Top - End - #1304

"There are large powerful beasts that roam this land, that only consume plant flesh, try this instead." saying this to the lieutenant, as he pulls forth a broad red and green leaf from the medicine bag, and exchanges the proffered meat, tossing the red meat to Gruelop, which catches it and greedily gobbles it down. "That leaf is from the plant that we harvest for lashings, rope, and harnesses, also a carnivorous plant..." Vasikchader continues, "by feasting on that, you consume flesh, that has consumed flesh!"

"Does you understand the meanings of this lesson?" a pause "We are all meant to be feasted upon, but, what you do before that happens will have a barring on the future lives! The forest wait for no one, not even celestial beings. We should not hold up here, but carry on."

15. - Top - End - #1305

Mr. Brauer nods respectfully and takes the plant carcass and begins to grind it in his molars. "Hmmm .... oaky, with a hint of nut and ... currants?"

At Vasik's final comment, Jask perks up and says, "Ummm .... no, holding up is exactly what we are here to do. Our entire mission was coming to Tazion as quickly as possible, planting a flag (so to speak), and secure the area for the main Sargavan force."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1306

"No, no, you miss my meaning. We should not sit still and let the forest grow around us, and become stagnant, we should scout and search, place your flag, but make sure it is in fact you, who are here first, and not something bigger..."

Vasikcharder spins about with his arms spread wide, drops to his knee, grabs some soil, sniffing about probing the air with his tongue, then throwing the soil into the air, standing back up, and facing the group about him.

"This does not seem like a good spot to start a tribal village, claim this land, but find a warm spot in the sun to call home. Let us not be idle while we serve."

17. - Top - End - #1307

LT(jg) Brauer calls a meeting for all hands. "So, here we are, we made it to Tazion. We have done an initial sweep, and so far things seem okay on the circumference of this ancient site. Now, we have two tasks. The first is to set up duty rotation and hold a solid, well-defended encampment here. The second, and more dangerous, task is to send a scout team into Tazion proper. I am looking for a four-person team, optimally."

He looks to Lalarlia, "Sergeant, you will be team leader into Tazion. Master Sergeant Fiercesomeelm and the majority of the Sum of All Fears will be in duty rotation. Their skill set is much better to standard soldiering."

He looks to the newest member. "Vasikcharder, it is time to really earn the safety in numbers and supplies we offer. You can bring Gruelop if you want, though we don't know what is to be found in Tazion and terrain might foul up your animal, but its senses and your knowledge of the jungle will be invaluable."

"Master Sergeant," he glances to the senior NCO, "I am going to place one of your men in this detail with Sergeant Lalarlia. Private Harsk, you will be the primay 'gunner' for the scouting mission. Things are likely cramped enough that your friend Biter might be of particular use."

"I have had a conference with the mission specialist we call The Tempest. Up until now, the sole focus of his job was as guide to get us to Tazion as quickly as possible. I think he has performed that task admirably. Let's all give a cheer for the Tempest.

"Hup-hup-huzzah! Hup-hup-huzzah! Hup-hup-huzzah!"

Once the cheers die down, the CO continues, "We contracted with him to get us here. In turn, he would offer out-of-battle support and healing. We were never sure if he and his spider would leave us once he got here. Now, it appears that external forces to our world known as players Gozreh has deemed that his path is forward into Tazion, not just to it. Sergeant Lalarlia, The Tempest will be going with you for divine support but also as mobility expert. He on his spider can climb and move quickly when needed."

The detail assigned, he leads the men in another cheer for SSGT Lalarlia and her team.

"Verify you have whatever gear you have, roll out, and if things allow it, return before dark. I don't think you want to get stuck in a creepy ancient site overnight if you can help it."

Lalarlia, Vasikcharder (and friends)? What do you do? Remember, Lalarlia, you are in charge.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-03-24 at 05:26 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1308

Vasikcharder barks out a quick growl, Gathers his items and gear, then moves to meet up with Lalaria, and patiently waits for Gruelop, the others, and awaits orders.
    Last edited by Robert821; 2020-03-25 at 02:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1309

Lalarlia, do you leave anything behind in camp? If so, tell me. Do you requistiion any basic gear? Lemme know.

Next, what is the plan for entering Tazion? There are six places where the ancient wall has fallen and you could enter, going clockwise - north, east, southeast, southwest, west, or northwest?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia will take only her weapons, armor and the likes. Her bedroll, etc. she will leave behind. She can't think of anything off the top of her head to requisition so, turning to the others, she says, "If everyone has their proper gear and is ready, let's set off at once. I suggest we approach from the south west so the sun will be behind us. Any questions or recommendations?"

21. - Top - End - #1311

"Sergeant, how do you want us to form up going in?" asks Harsk. So, what's the plan for marching order. Remember that Vasikcharder has Gruelop, Harsk has Biter, and The Tempest is mounted on his spider, Tatenta (which can climb).

Also, which entrance to Tazion do you intend on taking?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1312

The crumbling remnants of a massive enclosure wall mark the perimeter of the ruins. In its current condition, the wall provides little defense. Entire sections have eroded away or lie beneath sediment, while vines and vegetation strangle what little exposed stonework remain. The PCs could scramble over those sections of the wall still standing very easily, but there are several huge holes in the walls that can simply be walked through. These are the "openings" into Tazion previously noted.

Lalarlia leads from the rear, and Vasikcharder - side-by-side with Gruelop - take point. This makes Vasikcharder the one checking for traps. Good thing, too, because the canny lizardfolk thinks he may have found a trap right after the entrance, but is unaware of how wide the trap might be.

It is at this point that, after receiving this intelligence, that Lalarlia realizes that there is nobody in her detail that knows how to disarm traps.

SSGT Lalarlia, what do you do/ recommend/ order?

Vasikcharder, anything to add?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Vasikcharder, do you have any way to determine how wide and what type this trap may be? We will need to avoid them and travel around as I neglected to recommend someone who can disarm them. If we can get the mounts to leap over? "

24. - Top - End - #1314

"Ah, Lady, I have an idea, i have used for many times, but normally to set a trap, but have also used to trigger some as well, give me a moment."

Vasikcharder Growls to Gruelop, then steps of to the side, and begins to cast a spell.
    Spoiler: DM
    Show
    Casting summon natures ally 1, calling forth a pony, to charge through the opening.

"The sacrifice you have made today will be praised, even if failure happens."
    Last edited by Robert821; 2020-04-09 at 08:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1315

A camouflaged net, about 10-feet-square, snaps up poor Bill, taking him 20' off the ground. The net has barbs in them, and does 1 damage.

Bill whinnies ... loudly ... and pitifully.

What now?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lalarlia shudders and shakes her head... "That will work... I suppose... Thank you... Given that it is a net, that seems to suggest that someone will be along shortly to check the contents. I suggest we move on quickly but carefully... Vasikcharder, if you would continue looking for traps?"

27. - Top - End - #1317

"I will continue to search for anything out of place, but would you consider, we all find places to hide, and wait until the trap setter comes, just to see what we are up against?" Vasik suggests.
    "I find knowing something is important, instead of bumbling into somethings land."

Vasik turns back to the trap and the opening, looking onward with determination in his eyes.

"If you wish to continue, just know, we may be intruding on somethings claim here. I also much prefer to be the ambush er, not be ambushed."

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"We can hide and wait for a short while, but we do not want to be out here for too long. This is reconnoitering not contact..."

She looks back again at the net...

"Okay... I cannot... Please if you summoned that animal, please dismiss it... And please do not do that again..."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2020-04-10 at 02:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1319

So, youse guys are at the entrance to the inners of Tazion. Do you hide on the inside, the outside, or what?

Vasikcharder, the pony takes another 3 from the barbs. Do you dismiss it?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1320

"I would suggest, if no contact, we should stay outside, or on top of the wall."

"If you feel for the animal, than you may want to find another way to spring traps, that is merely a tool, and will dissipate to its home plane, and be healed in time. Look, there it goes."

​Ending the summons, not even turning to face the squeamish woman.

"While we are from different cultures, we are all pawns in something bigger's game, also, you may want to put some of your feelings aside, some tactics I employ to be effective, may make me less effective if you ask not to do those things."
    Last edited by Robert821; 2020-04-10 at 06:58 PM.