New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

MindFlayer

Default Creating Feal-Thas (sort of)

More accurately, I'm looking for help creating a wizard along the same lines as Feal-Thas - i.e. an ice-themed elf wizard, who'll serve as the BBEG for an upcoming campaign,

I'm aiming for CL15 - possibly a Wizard 5, Winternorn 10, but feel free to suggest something different.

In the past, my BBEG casters tended to be too focussed on blasting (and, as you might expect, didn't do very well as a result). So, I'm trying not to make that mistake again, and would like help in his considerable spell selection. Ideally, I'd like this guy to be pretty devious - so if you know any particularly nasty spells or combinations please let me know.

Just a couple of points:
    - Whist I'm aiming for an ice-theme, I'm not an idiot (and neither is he ), so I don't need or expect every spell to be 'icy'.
    - Don't worry too much about the standard number of spells known for a wizard. As a high-level wizard, it can be assumed that he has copied various scrolls into his spellbook.

If you have any other suggestions regarding other aspects (Race, Templates, Feats etc.), feel free to share them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Creating Feal-Thas (sort of)

I'd recommend the Frost Mage PrC, probably Wiz 5/FM 10. I don't know much about Feal-Thas, but possibly also pick Snow Elf as the race. Not very sure about other stuff, but looking through Frostburn you should have your plate full.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

• Get him access to the Winter domain spells somehow (Arcane Disciple or a Cleric 1 dip). Obscuring Snow + Snowsight will block line of sight to anyone more than 5 feet away, while he'll be able to see out just fine.
    • Freezing Fog is a great control spell.
    • Wall of Ice can be pretty good against opponents who don't teleport.
    • If you're going for cold-based blasting, the features of Winterhaunt of Iborighu are better than anything. It requires divine casting (a Cleric 1 dip will do), but can advance arcane. Might need some refluffing though.
    • Make sure he has Piercing Cold.

I'd say a fight where the PC's are trapped in a maze of ice walls, fighting their way through fog that prevents them from moving more than 5 feet per round and deals cold damage over time, trying to get to an enemy they can't see behind his globe of snow sounds pretty fun and thematically appropriate. Throw in some Conjure Ice Beast harassment while they're stuck down there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I'd recommend the Frost Mage PrC, probably Wiz 5/FM 10. I don't know much about Feal-Thas, but possibly also pick Snow Elf as the race. Not very sure about other stuff, but looking through Frostburn you should have your plate full.
    Frost Mage looks good, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    • Get him access to the Winter domain spells somehow (Arcane Disciple or a Cleric 1 dip). Obscuring Snow + Snowsight will block line of sight to anyone more than 5 feet away, while he'll be able to see out just fine.
    • Freezing Fog is a great control spell.
    • Wall of Ice can be pretty good against opponents who don't teleport.
    • If you're going for cold-based blasting, the features of Winterhaunt of Iborighu are better than anything. It requires divine casting (a Cleric 1 dip will do), but can advance arcane. Might need some refluffing though.
    • Make sure he has Piercing Cold.
    Ah, that's a useful list.

As a question, what other (non-cold) spells do you think could help this wizard?

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    I'd say a fight where the PC's are trapped in a maze of ice walls, fighting their way through fog that prevents them from moving more than 5 feet per round and deals cold damage over time, trying to get to an enemy they can't see behind his globe of snow sounds pretty fun and thematically appropriate. Throw in some Conjure Ice Beast harassment while they're stuck down there.
    Wow. That's an awsome idea, thanks a lot.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    As a question, what other (non-cold) spells do you think could help this wizard?
    Let's see...
    • Action economy stuff: Celerity, Contingency, possibly Arcane Spellsurge if you have some full-round action spells you want to use (like Conjure Ice Beast).
    • Defensive buffs: Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, the Heart of X line.
    • More control stuff: Forcecage, Great Thunderclap.
    • Mobility spells: Some form of flight, tactical teleportation like Dimension Hop.
    • Some form of escape if you want him to get away should the PC's win: Plane Shift, Teleport, etc.
    • Greater Dispel Magic.