Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Fate/Tianxia] Hunters of Meng Xiang - "Treading Where Gods Hide" (OOC)

Hunters of Meng Xiang - "Treading Where Gods Hide" (OOC)

The Game

The Setting
    High Concept Wuxia-Inspired High Fantasy
    Trouble The Black Veil
    Issue 1 [Current] An Unprecedented Robbery
    Issue 2 [Current] A Veilist, Here?
    Issue 3 TBD

Main Setting Info Thread
    Aditional Elements/Themes/Etc.: Honor & Glory, The Nature of Power, Legacies

The Cast
    Spoiler: Li Feng, styled Xiangwei (Player: Actana)
    Show
    Refresh: 2
    Jingshen rank: 1
    Skills
    Great [+4]: Lore
    Good [+3]: Fight, Will
    Fair [+2]: Chi, Physique, Athletics
    Average [+1]: Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Provoke Consequences
    Mild slot (2 shifts):
    Moderate slot (4 shifts):
    Severe slot (6 shifts):

Physical Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ]
    Mental Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ] 4 [ ]
    Aspects
    High Concept: Unorthodox Lion Clan Teacher
    Trouble: Not getting any younger
    First adventure: Experience is my Mentor
    Crossing Paths I: The Virtues of Temperance (@Zhu Wong)
    Crossing Paths II: TBD (@Mi-Yuan Jiawu) Kung Fu
    First Style: Iron Dragon
    Form: The Red Dragon style emphasizes wide sweeps with a hafted weapon and keeping a distance from the enemy while still retaining a series of powerful strikes to overwhelm the enemy.
    Techniques:
    Dragon Rules the Fields
    Dragon Sleeps in Mist
    Flesh Breaks on Iron
    Iron Body, Iron Mind
    Stunts
    Tutor: +2 to create advantage on an ally with Lore when you spend an hour or so coaching them on an appropriate topic.
    Teach by Example: Once per scene, an ally may use Li Feng's Lore in place of a skill in order to create an advantage based on training under him.

Spoiler: Mi-Yuan Jiawu (Player: silphael)
    Show
    Mi-Yuan Jiawu

Jingshen rank: 1 Skills
    Great [+4]: Chi
    Good [+3]: War Arts, Provoke
    Fair [+2]: Physique, Athletics, Will
    Average [+1]: Stealth, Crafts, Notice, Ressources Consequences
    Mild slot (2 shifts):
    Severe slot (6 shifts):

Physical Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] (3 [ ])
    Mental Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] (3 [ ])
    Aspects
    High Concept: Do you have to be a God to create martial arts, or do you become one when you do?
    Trouble: "Betrothed to Xiu Li, the Queen of Hearts"
    Aspect One : In the Name of the White Tiger!
    Aspect 2 :
    Crossing Paths II: Kung Fu
    First Style: Ghost Tiger
    Form: Immortal Tiger King
    Techniques:
    Regal Armor of the Immortal Tiger : May use Provoke instead of Fight as defense as long as he hasn't suffered any stress in the encounter. If Fight is equal or higher than Provoke, receive a 2 armor rating against the attack.
    Immortal Claws Tears Flesh : Ignore 1 point of Armor when making Fight attacks and add +1 Weapon rating to any Fight attacks against opponents with lower Chi skill than the attacker.
    Immortal Tiger Rules the World : As Tiger Rules the Jungle.
    Stunts
    Overwhelming Chi : As psychologist, may help other recover from consequences.
    Dazing Counter : When succeeding a defense from Fight with style, may inflict the Dazed aspect, with a free invoke.
    Reflection of Self : May use overwhelming Chi on himself and may use it once more per session, but suffer a mild consequence in that case.

Expected posting frequency is at least once per day. If you cannot make the commitment for a legitimate reason, toss me a PM and let's discuss so I/the game can adjust accordingly. No need to get too in-depth with the IRL explanations, but if you're feeling uninspired, I can work to change that.

So that's that for now! Post your sheets in this thread, pleeeaaaase~
    Last edited by NyuBomber; 2014-09-28 at 11:27 AM.
    “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.” - Jack Handy
    [My Homebrew] Chinese Fantastical Monster Fighting, Yay!: Hunters of Meng Xiang - Main Info - HMX Discussion Thread
    DeviantArt Gallery

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Fate/Tianxia] Hunters of Meng Xiang - "Treading Where Gods Hide" (OOC)

Have a dentist's appointment in 20 minutes, but after that I'll grab the time needed for a starting post, character sheet et al.

Edit: okay so maybe it took more than 14 hours for me to get anything done, but it's done now! I do still need a fifth aspect, since the originally planned Laughing Steel story doesn't seem applicable given that Sorceress doesn't seem to be around anymore. Instead, I figured I'd go with silphael's character, since there seems to be some potential there. For ideas, I was thinking something about Li Feng feeling somewhat responsible for Mi-Yuan Jiawu. Maybe Li Feng was the one who found and expelled the spirit from him? While most other Lion Clan teachers wouldn't likely take up such a student, Li Feng would have less reservations (although still being cautious).
    Last edited by Actana; 2014-09-23 at 04:09 PM.
    Practicing theory and theorizing practice.

Amazing Handsome Jack avatar by SubLimePie.
    Creator of the Mass Effect conversion for Star Wars Saga Edition.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [Fate/Tianxia] Hunters of Meng Xiang - "Treading Where Gods Hide" (OOC)

Character!

Li Feng, styled Xiangwei

Skills
    Great [+4]: Lore
    Good [+3]: Fight, Will
    Fair [+2]: Chi, Physique, Athletics
    Average [+1]: Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Provoke
    Consequences
    Mild slot (2 shifts):
    Severe slot (6 shifts):

Physical Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ]
    Mental Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ] 4 [ ]
    Aspects
    High Concept: Unorthodox Lion Clan Teacher
    Trouble: Not getting any younger
    First adventure: Experience is my Mentor
    Crossing Paths I: The Virtues of Temperance (@Zhu Wong)
    Crossing Paths II: TBD (@Mi-Yuan Jiawu)
    Kung Fu
    First Style: Iron Dragon
    Form: The Red Dragon style emphasizes wide sweeps with a hafted weapon and keeping a distance from the enemy while still retaining a series of powerful strikes to overwhelm the enemy.
    Techniques:
    • Dragon Rules the Fields
    • Dragon Sleeps in Mist
    • Flesh Breaks on Iron
    • Iron Body, Iron Mind
    Stunts
    • Tutor: +2 to create advantage on an ally with Lore when you spend an hour or so coaching them on an appropriate topic.
    • Teach by Example: Once per scene, an ally may use Li Feng's Lore in place of a skill in order to create an advantage based on training under him.
    Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

RedKnightGirl

Wait, I just realized... how you got exactly 4 techniques? I thought the first refresh was form + 1 and all other were 2, so it would be 3 or 5... oh wait, we can trade 1 stunt for 1 technique once, right?

And Character!

Spoiler: Character
    Show
    Mi-Yuan Jiawu

Skills
    Great [+4]: Chi
    Good [+3]: War Arts, Provoke
    Fair [+2]: Physique, Athletics, Will
    Average [+1]: Stealth, Crafts, Notice, Ressources
    Consequences
    Mild slot (2 shifts):
    Severe slot (6 shifts):

Physical Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] (3 [ ])
    Mental Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] (3 [ ])
    Aspects
    High Concept: Do you have to be a God to create martial arts, or do you become one when you do?
    Trouble: "Betrothed to Xiu Li, the Queen of Hearts"
    Aspect One : In the Name of the White Tiger!
    Aspect 2 :
    Crossing Paths II:
    Kung Fu
    First Style: Ghost Tiger
    Form: Immortal Tiger King
    Techniques:
    • Regal Armor of the Immortal Tiger : May use Provoke instead of Fight as defense as long as he hasn't suffered any stress in the encounter. If Fight is equal or higher than Provoke, receive a 2 armor rating against the attack.
    • Immortal Claws Tears Flesh : Ignore 1 point of Armor when making Fight attacks and add +1 Weapon rating to any Fight attacks against opponents with lower Chi skill than the attacker.
    • Immortal Tiger Rules the World : As Tiger Rules the Jungle.
    Stunts
    • Overwhelming Chi : As psychologist, may help other recover from consequences.
    • Dazing Counter : When succeeding a defense from Fight with style, may inflict the Dazed aspect, with a free invoke.
    • Reflection of Self : May use overwhelming Chi on himself and may use it once more per session, but suffer a mild consequence in that case.

About aspect and high concept : Mi-Yuan is basically overeager to prove himself. What defines him is that overwhelming pride. He still knows, though, that creating an art without having followers/students to spread it is worthless, therefore he dreams of building his own clan, the White Tiger Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    P.E.A.C.H : "Don't be nice, feel free to shishkabob any and all bad ideas present and lower my self-esteem thirty points. Self-esteem is measure in points, right? Anyway: here's a thing, if it sucks too much wind, tell me."

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by silphael View Post
    Wait, I just realized... how you got exactly 4 techniques? I thought the first refresh was form + 1 and all other were 2, so it would be 3 or 5... oh wait, we can trade 1 stunt for 1 technique once, right?
    I'm pretty sure you can trade as many stunts and refresh as you want for more techniques. One refresh gives two techniques and one stunt gives one technique. There is a case of starting out as a master, which needs the following (with a starting Refresh of 4):

1 Refresh for form + 1 technique
    1 Refresh for 2 techniques
    3 stunts for 3 techniques -> form mastered
    1 Refresh for master status + secret technique.

This uses up all your available Refresh (making it 1, the minimum), and all available starting stunts. Personally, I only used 1 Refresh and 1 stunt for techniques.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aaaah it's happeneeeeeing yaaaaay

Actana is correct!

LD, since you're not Lion Clan, you're free to enter the scene as you will, with a mind on maybe creating drama.
    “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.” - Jack Handy
    [My Homebrew] Chinese Fantastical Monster Fighting, Yay!: Hunters of Meng Xiang - Main Info - HMX Discussion Thread
    DeviantArt Gallery

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Umm I'm having issues finding how to start, probably because of the part about "Lions".

To clarify : we're supposed to already know each other, right?
    P.E.A.C.H : "Don't be nice, feel free to shishkabob any and all bad ideas present and lower my self-esteem thirty points. Self-esteem is measure in points, right? Anyway: here's a thing, if it sucks too much wind, tell me."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silphael View Post
    Umm I'm having issues finding how to start, probably because of the part about "Lions".

To clarify : we're supposed to already know each other, right?
    It is entirely up to you and his background, which I don't know. He may be in Lion Clan and know everyone; or be so much of a loner and a special case that he knows no one and is here for mysterious reasons.

Or maybe he's not in Lion Clan and his exploits have made him worthy of note anyway; or maybe he's a complete stranger.

Don't be afraid to think up story elements on the spot, as long as they don't contradict what I, yourself, or others have established (unless your character is a liar, then it's just fun), and also as long as you're OK with me running with them to areas you may not anticipate.

Two points on your sheet:

-- I assume you liked the "betrothed" suggestion for his Trouble, and didn't just go with it because the GM thought threw it out there, riiiiight?
    -- I'm going to interpret his "In the Name of the White Tiger!" aspect as having to do with founding/seeking glory and legitimacy for his clan dream, if that's the intent? I really like it, if so.
    Last edited by NyuBomber; 2014-09-24 at 12:50 PM.
    DeviantArt Gallery

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

The betrothed part was indeed to my taste, and it makes one aspect that isn't solely based on character actions/reactions, which was lacking so far : to much reactive stuff and you've got someone exploding for one single word, that would had been too much.

That was exactly my thought for the White Tiger aspect. And it even gave me ideas for next styles...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

OK, really, I'm seriously. I am /trying/ to get this all in order. I promise, I've sorta got everything in order, but not. Work and school seriously sucked time this week for reasons unfathomable. Bleeding IRL. First thing, before all other things tomorrow I will get this here sheet done and damned if it won't be... Moderately good! In the mean time I'm not comfortable posting in the IC section without something in the OOC section specifically outlining my limits mechanically. Sorry, with perseverance and skill I will not be saying the same thing tomorrow I will instead be announcing to our Glorious GM, 'Posted'.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Dragon View Post
    OK, really, I'm seriously. I am /trying/ to get this all in order. I promise, I've sorta got everything in order, but not. Work and school seriously sucked time this week for reasons unfathomable. Bleeding IRL. First thing, before all other things tomorrow I will get this here sheet done and damned if it won't be... Moderately good! In the mean time I'm not comfortable posting in the IC section without something in the OOC section specifically outlining my limits mechanically. Sorry, with perseverance and skill I will not be saying the same thing tomorrow I will instead be announcing to our Glorious GM, 'Posted'.
    LD and everyone, mind the new OP text:

Expected posting frequency is at least once per day. If you cannot make the commitment for a legitimate reason, toss me a PM and let's discuss so I/the game can adjust accordingly. No need to get too in-depth with the IRL explanations, but if you're feeling uninspired, I can work to change that.

This goes into concrete effect tomorrow, Friday, 9/25/2014. Deviation is subject to being dropped. This is the only warning from here on out.

@Actana and Silph: Love the initiative on story/setting elements with the fried rice. Let's see where this goes.

Other players are free to jump-in appropriately.
    Last edited by NyuBomber; 2014-09-25 at 06:59 PM.
    DeviantArt Gallery

12. - Top - End - #12

Given that this is the first PbP game on the site, does the site roller support Fate dice? And/or since I recall there at some point being a restriction on where the roller can be used, is that still in effect? Do we need a separate thread for dice rolls somewhere, or does the IC thread work?

Not needing to roll any dice just yet, but for future reference.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedKnightGirl

Aren't Fate dice basically D6 with 2-, 2 blanks, 2+? In that case we just have to make a convention before rolling.

14. - Top - End - #14

Basically, yes. Done with numerical dice it'd be 4d3-8 before any bonuses or penalties, but Fate dice would be more convenient.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Understood, will comply.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Actana View Post
    Basically, yes. Done with numerical dice it'd be 4d3-8 before any bonuses or penalties, but Fate dice would be more convenient.
    I was planning to just do the 4d6 with
    1 and 2 = - 1
    3 and 4 = 0
    5 and 6 = +1

If 4d3-8 = the total roll results, however, we can just use that!
    DeviantArt Gallery

17. - Top - End - #17

And, as always, I'm finding out my character plays out entirely differently than what I had imagined. So far, anyway. Right now I feel like I'm playing a cross between Uncle Iroh from ATLA and Zhuge Liang from Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Not that that's a problem, I love both of those characters, but it wasn't what I was imagining. But we'll see!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

After mutual agreement, Outcast is officially out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Actana View Post
    And, as always, I'm finding out my character plays out entirely differently than what I had imagined. So far, anyway. Right now I feel like I'm playing a cross between Uncle Iroh from ATLA and Zhuge Liang from Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Not that that's a problem, I love both of those characters, but it wasn't what I was imagining. But we'll see!
    To be fair, we're barely off the first page! But, that said, he's playing out like how I expected so far. We'll naturally have more opportunities to flesh characters as we go, though.
    DeviantArt Gallery

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Might just be me being a bit of a jerk IC >.< I didn't expect such ... venom from Cheng, but what do I expect when I make someone so angry at the other PCs purely on a clan basis...

Anyway I could use a smidgen of help, I don't have the book or a PDF version for the Kung-fu jazz, I've seen Chi in skills I assume that's the skill for using spirit.... stuff. Naturally I'll be taking that, but I need to gaps filled in on Techniques. I suppose PMs are an appropriate venue, but here is fine too. This is what I've got so far:

Spoiler: Draft
    Show
    Cheng The Bandit Lord

Refresh: 5
    Skills
    Great [+4]: Fight
    Good [+3]: Physique, Athletics
    Fair [+2]: Will, Provoke, Deceive
    Average [+1]: Rapport, Notice, Chi, Stealth
    Consequences
    Mild slot (2 shifts):
    Severe slot (6 shifts):

Physical Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ] 4 [ ]
    Mental Stress: 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 [ ]
    Aspects
    High Concept: Benevolent Bandit Lord of the Eastern Silk Road
    Trouble: Power without disipline. Disipline without understanding.
    First adventure: Stubborn as a Mule
    Kung Fu
    First Style: Iron (Dragon, Monkey, Tiger I'm not completely sure which fits the Mostly Self Taught sort of theme best. I think a Hound Master would try and teach something akin to the Iron Tiger or Iron Dragon styles, but Cheng Deviated from the basic training and taught himself how to fight 'right' in order to be able to beat his teachers.)
    Form: The
    Techniques:
    Stunts (Stunts get me worse than aspects, never quite sure what to do with them.)
    • :
    • :
    • :

20. - Top - End - #20

Might just be me being a bit of a jerk IC >.< I didn't expect such ... venom from Cheng, but what do I expect when I make someone so angry at the other PCs purely on a clan basis...
    I've got the same problem with the whole teacher business. I don't want to be overbearingly teacher-like. Which, I suppose, is just a part of the character. Li Feng doesn't want to act too much like a teacher, but he still is one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Iron Dragon
    Show
    Iron Dragon Form
    Iron Dragon stylists are some of the toughest fighters around. Eschewing fancy maneuvers for strong blows and hard blocks, the style favors taking lesser blows to open a foe up to a disabling lock or punishing strike. What the Iron Dragon lacks in subtlety, he makes up in majestic power.

Iron Techniques
    Iron Cleaves the Stone: Ignore 2 points of Armor when making an attack to inflict physical stress.
    Flesh Breaks on Iron: When you defend against a Fight attack with style, you may inflict 2 shift hit instead of taking a boost on your attacker.
    Iron Body, Iron Mind: +2 bonus to create an advantages relating to resisting or coping with pain, intimidation, or fear.

Dragon Techniques
    Dragon Rules the Fields: When you succeed with style on an attack, gain a boost—with a +3 bonus instead of the usual +2—without reducing the value of your attack.
    Dragon Rules the Heavens: Use Chi or Fight (selected when you take this Technique) instead of Athletics in rolls involving entering zones or preventing others from doing so. Apply a +2 bonus if both Athletics and the selected Skill are the same rank or Athletics is greater.
    Dragon Sleeps in Mist: When you succeed with style on a defense, you may reduce the result by 1 to gain 2 Armor Rating against the next attack in the scene that strikes you in addition to the normal boost.

Secret Technique: Scales and Teeth Unto like Iron
    Hardening his skin to deliver terrible blows and withstand incredible punishment, the Iron Dragon master is a terror in combat. He can rend flesh with a blow or shrug off mighty blows with conditioning and superior Kung Fu.
    Effect: Spend 1 Fate point; for the remainder of the scene, any attacker who creates a consequence on you with physical stress does not get a free invocation for creating the consequence. In addition, you gain +1 Weapons Rating to all your Fight attacks.

Spoiler: Iron Monkey
    Show
    Iron Monkey Form
    A mix of impressive circular defensive movements and linear striking techniques, Iron Monkey practitioners employ sweeping blocks and evasions that flow into potent kicks, punches, pushes, grabs, and open hand claws. To the practitioner, a roll or dodge is not just a defensive action but also the beginning of an attack that drives outward from them with surprising force. Like the monkey, these stylists have surprising physical power and rely on quickly bringing that to bear to overcome opponents.

Iron Techniques
    Iron Cleaves the Stone: Ignore 2 points of Armor when making an attack to inflict physical stress.
    Flesh Breaks on Iron: When you defend against a Fight attack with style, you may inflict 2 shift hit instead of taking a boost on your attacker.
    Iron Body, Iron Mind: +2 bonus to create an advantages relating to resisting or coping with pain, intimidation, or fear.

Monkey Techniques
    Monkey Grabs the Peach: Add +2 Weapon Rating to an attack where you also invoke a consequence the defender has.
    Monkey Dances in Moonlight: When succeeding on a defense with style, you may create a Distracting Movements advantage with a free invocation instead of taking a boost.
    Monkey Rolls Away: When invoking an aspect or advantage during a defense roll, gain 2 Armor Rating against the attack if it succeeds.

Secret Technique: Monkey Escapes the Cage
    Iron Monkey masters learn to use the momentum and positioning of an incoming attack to power their own follow-up strike. The master flips, slips, or otherwise avoids their attacker and meets them with a forceful and well-placed acrobatic strike while theiropponent is off-balance or out of position.
    Effect: Spend 1 Fate Point to defend against a physical attack with a +2 bonus to Fight or Athletics. If the defense succeeds, you gain a +2 boost and +2 Weapon Rating to your next Fight attack against your attacker. If you tie instead, neither you nor your attacker gains a boost, though you still get +2 Weapon Rating for your next attack. If you succeed with style, you may create a Superior Positioning advantage with a free invocation instead of a boost.

Spoiler: Iron Tiger
    Show
    Iron Tiger Form
    The dreaded Iron Tiger practitioner is thought to be one of the most aggressive, lethal fighters around. What Iron Tigers lack in maneuverability and flexibility they make up for in physical power, toughness, and aggression. This style eschews many of the tactics and principles of softer styles to focus purely on hard-hitting blows, disabling strikes, painful locks, and linear but effective defenses.

Iron Techniques

Tiger Techniques
    Tiger Moves With Purpose: Move at least 1 zone and make an attack using Athletics or make an Athletics attack on a target that just moved into your zone on their last action. Add 2 shifts to any stress you deal with this attack.
    Tiger Rends the Flesh: When you tie on an attack using Fight for defense you can inflict a 2 point shift physical attack instead of taking a boost.
    Tiger Rules the Jungle: You may use Physique or Provoke (selected when you select this Technique) instead of Will to defend against Provoke attacks. If both Will and Physique (or Provoke) are the same rank, or Will is higher, gain a 2 Armor Rating against Provoke attacks instead.

Iron Tiger Secret Technique: Tiger Caged in Iron
    Assuming a powerful and aggressive stance, the Iron Tiger master unleashes a terrible attack on his opponent with the force to shatter bone and burst blood vessels. So strong is the blow that blocking is no defense, only avoiding the blow will save the target.
    Effect: Spend 1 Fate Point and make a Fight attack against a target, with a +2 bonus if they use Fight to Defend. Regardless of what the target uses to defend with, also add a +4 Weapon rating to the attack.
    DeviantArt Gallery

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

I'm already thinking about some next styles, like Water Dragon or Burning Eagle.

About self taught style, technically it could be anything, even the same group as your original clan style : you're just using similar stances in your own way. My Ghost Tiger is a self taught style, but you don't need to make your own techniques for that, you can just rename those.

About my reason to be there, despite being clanless : I'm more or less acting as a travelling martial artist, studying styles on my way. Right now i'm studying under Li Feng guidance, but I know I'm probably as strong as him. That won't make him any less a potential recipient of knowledge : but Mi-Yuan is still mefiant towards him.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Well met, Li Feng, styled Xiangwei"
    Not sure if this was Just Cheng () being flippant, but in case it wasn't, here's a quick rundown of what I mean with the courtesy name of Xiangwei.

In China, the naming traditions go family name first, given name second. So Li Feng comes from the Li family and his given name is Feng. Upon maturity, people took a "courtesy name", one that signified their entry to adulthood. Using it in casual speech is a sign of respect, and replaces the given name. So if you were to use the courtesy name for Li Feng, you would call him Li Xiangwei. Courtesy names often consist of more than one syllable, which is not terribly common in regular Chinese names (in fact, in Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Zhuge Liang is explicitly called out as having a two-part family name). Very often you also see people referring to others by purely their courtesy names, such as Liu Bei, styled Xuande, who is often just called Xuande. Sometimes you barely even see a character's given name at all, such as with the case of Zhao Yun, who is throughout the novel called Zhao Zilong instead.

Very rarely do Chinese people refer to each other by purely one name or the other. Given the small amount of syllables in their names, in literature people are very often referred to as their full names all the time, outside of moments when the courtesy name is used.

In addition to the courtesy name, people also had a childhood name, which when used in adulthood is the exact opposite of using their courtesy name. Using a person's childhood name means utter and open disrespect. For example, Cao Cao has both courtesy name of Mengde and childhood name of Ahman. So calling him Cao Mengde is a sign of respect, but calling him Cao Ahman is disrespectful. Indeed, Cao Cao had people executed for less.

Interestingly enough, in Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the only person who is referred to with titles in the narrative is the Emperor and his close associates, like consorts and such, but with one exception: Guan Yu, who is throughout the novel regularly called Lord Guan, despite him not being a lord in any means, but has his origins as a regular footman archer and guard. This might be because he was later deified into the Chinese god of war, which means he should have such respect as to be called Lord Guan. Other characters, however, don't call him that: only the narrative does. Things like Sir and Lord barely exist in China, it's mostly Inspector, Prime Minister, General and the like, and even then the full names of characters are used to refer to them, whether with courtesy, childhood or regular names.

Now, this is all a bit besides the point, given that we're not playing in China but a fantasy land, but it's something I just wanted to make clear when it comes to the naming scheme, in case there was any confusion. That, and I find the naming scheme quite fascinating overall.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Cheng's full name would allow people to find out his home and possibly endanger his family, also I am rather buckign terrible at creating names. Seriously. Of all the things in role play that I'm not superb at Figuring out a not lame name is tops. It's almost pathetic how bad I am at it... Oh well good thing I'm pretty good otherwise. I take all manner of Advice and Tips and suggestions for names seriously. If you happen to think of one, I'll make use of it later.

25. - Top - End - #25

I didn't mean it in that way at all. I was merely referring to that particular quoted line. It's essentially like if someone introduced them as "Jonathan Smith, or you may call me Jon" and then you say "Well met Jonathan Smith or Jon."

Lets face it, it's a really minor detail and honestly unimportant at that too, but I keep a particular fascination with the naming scheme and it's not exactly something that's common knowledge to Western audiences.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Given Mi-Yuan is of a lower extraction, he chose himself that name. To be honest I went to a site providing chinese names and I checked some of those one after another until I found one meaning something close to what i had in mind.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

aaaaaah active ooc threeaaaaad i wuv you guys

Eaters, PM me a Physique roll to Overcome the Shengmen Surprise!
    DeviantArt Gallery

28. - Top - End - #28

RedKnightGirl

Here it comes!

Spoiler: Fate Dice!
    Show
    (4d3+8)[15]+2

Edit : crap, it's -8 instead of +8, so basically it's a +1(Average) result.
    Last edited by silphael; 2014-10-01 at 11:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

It occurs to me that I had no idea how to roll with this site and that I also don't have the time at this exact moment to go digging XD Either you'll drop it on my head or I'll find it when I'm not on my crummy laptop.

Also, editing kills your roll ;p

Oh yay figured it out. :o

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Laughing_Dragon; 2014-10-01 at 11:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

It occurs to me that I had no idea how to roll with this site and that I also don't have the time at this exact moment to go digging XD Either you'll drop it on my head or I'll find it when I'm not on my crummy laptop.

Also, editing kills your roll ;p

Oh yay figured it out. :o
    Found it! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...he-Dice-Roller

I'll let you roll properly by tomorrow for it to be your official roll.
    DeviantArt Gallery