New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A new quote-based effort

Quote Originally Posted by Jendekit View Post
    "There are two things that unite us, little gnat: the scar-smiles upon our faces, and our devotion to hunting down any who would see us back in chains."
    ~Ephraim Trollkin, describing the Grinning Men.
    "They found him clutching the ship's wheel in cold, dead hands. The Captain had once more brought his crew safely home, but at the cost of his own life."

Edit: Er... consider that former a false attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by copycatcat View Post
    "I don't care who you are! I am the important one here! I hold the artifact of greatest power: I am the truest wielder of the Felheart!"
    ~Bellator the Kind, addressing the Council of Seven Queens
    Last edited by Benthesquid; 2014-09-25 at 10:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    "They found him clutching the ship's wheel in cold, dead hands. The Captain had once more brought his crew safely home, but at the cost of his own life."
    ~Unnamed Quinsaran portmaster, describing the final fate of the legendary yet highly controversial Captain Valor Keli, a man who's vast and dubiously acquired wealth has been hidden away in parts yet unknown.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    Incidentally, I meant to imply that when Radlin Boag used the Orb it unmade both him and his wife along with the Libguard. So a tragic last ditch sacrifice, lying to her to get close enough. Sorry I was too subtle in trying to suggest that in the text.

"Look, the wizardly arts, particularity ours, are complicated and mysterious... which is to say they're weird, dangerous, and unreliable, But! They're also powerful, so shut-up or I'll turn one or more of us into frogs and or weasels."
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2014-09-26 at 05:02 AM.
    ...with a vengeance!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

~ Grand Mage Mircandr to his halfling apprentice Daffle shortly before attempting to close a dimensional rift

" So you are big...so what? Behind me stand 5 knights. 5 hearts filled with courage and the desire for vengeance. 5 souls. You do not even have one soul to call your own. You are nothing."

4. - Top - End - #34

~Final words of Fillia Filliat, last Grand Marshal of the Red Order.

"I hear the song of the world- desperate, broken minds, crying out to be made whole."

5. - Top - End - #35

"I hear the song of the world- desperate, broken minds, crying out to be made whole."
    ~The testomony of Maryth Zarrash as she stood trail by a multinational court for her uncounted atrocities. History remembers most the horrible hours after those words were spoken as the Beasts of Vashar arrived, reveling that Marrth's surrender into custody had all been a horrifying ruse.

"We can go no further, there is no more food, no more strength in my arm, no hope for success."
    Last edited by DoomHat; 2014-09-26 at 09:50 AM.
    ...with a vengeance!

6. - Top - End - #36

~Logan Greybeard, on the second day of the retreat following the battle of Fulskjar.

"By authority of the Inviolate Law of Guiliard, for the capital crime of enslavement, I hereby sentence this nation to destruction, and it's people to subjugation, the sentence to be carried out immediately."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Short interruption...I collected some of my own ideas about the world in a Separate thread/, feel free to check it out.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    "By authority of the Inviolate Law of Guiliard, for the capital crime of enslavement, I hereby sentence this nation to destruction, and it's people to subjugation, the sentence to be carried out immediately."
    -Maris Vorchela, Orcish lawyer and First Chairman of the controversial Union of the Free, declaring her intent to extend her activites to Bashnoi.

"The Gods are dead. The Gods remain dead, for I have killed them. Never again shall we know the tyranny of faith."
    A million thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aolbain View Post
    "The Gods are dead. The Gods remain dead, for I have killed them. Never again shall we know the tyranny of faith."
    ~The last recorded words of the Great Blasphemer, as he stood atop the ruins that were once the great Temple City of Kamashinta.

"We have been driven back, my brothers. Yes, we have been defeated. But remember, my brethren, that defeat is only momentary."

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    "We have been driven back, my brothers. Yes, we have been defeated. But remember, my brethren, that defeat is only momentary."
    ~Benedict Melanus, Knight of the Order of the Heptagram, after hearing of the fall of Castle Dire

"I know thirteen charms, and thirteen times thirteen secret names. I have been to the dry and dusty places beneath the earth, and the City to Which No Road Leads. I am rhyme-speaker, truth-stealer, snake-father, shield-biter. I can drink a lake of mead, or devour a herd of bison, teeth and bones and horns and all. I can see when there is no light. I can hear when there is no sound. I can spill every drop of my blood, and yet not die. I am elf's bane, orcslayer, maneater, halfling's dread. I have walked in nightmares, and traced them to their source. I am not a horsey."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I know thirteen charms, and thirteen times thirteen secret names. I have been to the dry and dusty places beneath the earth, and the City to Which No Road Leads. I am rhyme-speaker, truth-stealer, snake-father, shield-biter. I can drink a lake of mead, or devour a herd of bison, teeth and bones and horns and all. I can see when there is no light. I can hear when there is no sound. I can spill every drop of my blood, and yet not die. I am elf's bane, orcslayer, maneater, halfling's dread. I have walked in nightmares, and traced them to their source. I am not a horsey."
    -Svadlifare, the last of the great Schamans of the Sunnamark Centaurs. Speaking to the child-monarch of Quinsar.

"For 50 years men have reviled my name. In every church - from the grand cathedrals of the Holy Plains to the most desolate parish congregation beyond the Terwain - they yearly curse my soul to trice-eternal damnation on the Day of Remembrance. When I last traveled my lands the children ran away from me, crying. My daughter tells me they fear all armed horsemen, but I do not believe her. They see in me the same thing their parents saw some 30 years ago: the Great Defiler, the man who killed the last hero and doomed us all to the dark. For that is the reputation I have made, to my great sorrow. The Pagan Warlord, a towering monster in silver and steel, the slayer of 3 kings and the butcher of Altengard. He who smashed the Imperial Host at Enajarvi and drove the battered remains to the sea, burning every settlement in his path. That is the man they see, but he have been dead some decades now, his place usurped by someone else. An old, broken man who cries himself to sleep and prays to the gods he barely believes in anymore for the final darkness."
    Last edited by Aolbain; 2014-09-29 at 02:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

"For 50 years men have reviled my name. In every church - from the grand cathedrals of the Holy Plains to the most desolate parish congregation beyond the Terwain - they yearly curse my soul to trice-eternal damnation on the Day of Remembrance. When I last traveled my lands the children ran away from me, crying. My daughter tells me they fear all armed horsemen, but I do not believe her. They see in me the same thing their parents saw some 30 years ago: the Great Defiler, the man who killed the last hero and doomed us all to the dark. For that is the reputation I have made, to my great sorrow. The Pagan Warlord, a towering monster in silver and steel, the slayer of 3 kings and the butcher of Altengard. He who smashed the Imperial Host at Enajarvi and drove the battered remains to the sea, burning every settlement in his path. That is the man they see, but he have been dead some decades now, his place usurped by someone else. An old, broken man who cries himself to sleep and prays to the gods he barely believes in anymore for the final darkness."
    The final words written by Cerion the Destroyer, Scourge of Enajarvi, in a letter to his only daughter Zenaria. After writing these words, Cerion disappeared and has never been seen since. The reward for his capture still stands.

The beginning and the end am I, Maker and Unmaker. By my hand empires topple and kings ascend, and my word in all lands is law. Heed me now, young one, for these are words of wisdom.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    The beginning and the end am I, Maker and Unmaker. By my hand empires topple and kings ascend, and my word in all lands is law. Heed me now, young one, for these are words of wisdom.
    ~Extract from the Book of the Twice Risen King

When you were born, I too came into existence. All your life, I've been waiting for you, destined never to meet, until this, the moment of our death.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

When you were born, I too came into existence. All your life, I've been waiting for you, destined never to meet, until this, the moment of our death.
    Final words of Usta Naram, hero of the play 'One Soul, Two Enemies'

"Glittering points that downward thrust, shining spears that never rust."

15. - Top - End - #45

"Glittering points that downward thrust, shining spears that never rust."
    Ancient battle rhyme sung by phalangites of the long-since dead city-state of Dalarkan, found inscribed on a ceremonial bronze shield. In modern times, the term "shining spears that never rust" is folk a saying that means a violent solution to a complex problem. A notorious hothead is to this day referred to as a "shining spear."

I have gone as far as I can, and still I am no closer. My friends, I fear this is the end. I raise my cup to you for the last time, oh fair city.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-10-02 at 10:00 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Ancient battle rhyme sung by phalangites of the long-since dead city-state of Dalarkan, found inscribed on a ceremonial bronze shield. In modern times, the term "shining spears that never rust" is folk a saying that means a violent solution to a complex problem. A notorious hothead is to this day referred to as a "shining spear."

I have gone as far as I can, and still I am no closer. My friends, I fear this is the end. I raise my cup to you for the last time, oh fair city.
    First words of the third act of 'One Soul, Two Enemies', spoken by Mysa Vhalla, squire of the White Necromancer

I have to say that I love what you did with the riddle I put up. From now on all my new quotes will be riddles or song excerpts to see where people take them.

"I'm no man of honor, myself is my true king. But somewhere deep within me, the bells of conscience ring."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm no man of honor, myself is my true king. But somewhere deep within me, the bells of conscience ring."
    Khavain Numer, fallen Imperion of Quinsara, brother of Brogan, who ran from battle to the lands far away from Quinsara, said on his death bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I wasn't there, I don't know anything and you can't make me."

19. - Top - End - #49

"I wasn't there, I don't know anything and you can't make me."
    Last words of Garrin, orphaned gutter-child and pickpocket, when questioned on the whereabouts of Zenaria, daughter of Cerion the Destroyer. The Confessors of the Imprial Seal suspected him of having had contact with Zenaria, and tortured him for her whereabouts. They failed to extract any useful information.

If theres one thing I cannot stand, it's a dirty ork. They are filthy enough as it is. Give him a bath!
    - G. K. Chesterton

20. - Top - End - #50

If theres one thing I cannot stand, it's a dirty ork. They are filthy enough as it is. Give him a bath!
    Princess-Regent Gloriana of Guiliard, upon the arrival of the young Marquis Rendfang, during the exchange of hostages that followed the failed attempt to conquer Gloomskull

"Well, the larger problem is that we're in the midst of a hostile army of giants, who will see us as soon as we climb of out of this pit. But the immediate problem is that the pit is slowly filling with hungry rats, and you have to handle these things one step at a time. Ideas?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, the larger problem is that we're in the midst of a hostile army of giants, who will see us as soon as we climb of out of this pit. But the immediate problem is that the pit is slowly filling with hungry rats, and you have to handle these things one step at a time. Ideas?"
    -Amanda the Archmage, accidentally proving the inherent dangers of teleportation magic.

"By the gods, it's full of blood!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Ladana, Elven Vampire Paladin when confronted by her heart's desire by the Mirror of Malagros, which was crafted by the Archon Imperator Malagros Grimhammer.

"You see, serpent, there's just one problem: my fist hungers for your face."
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    "You see, serpent, there's just one problem: my fist hungers for your face."
    From the traditional Sunnamark story- the Woman With Teeth in Her Hands

Spoiler: Potential Trigger Warnings for Child Soldier related subject matter
    Show
    "Hate? Speak not to me of hate. No Quinsaran knows how to hate. Where I come from, we are born in hate. We drink it in, with our mothers' milk. Our fathers whisper it to us when they dandle us on their knee- those of us who are left with mothers or fathers. Every night before I went to bed, I would pray, "Let me grow up tall and strong, so that I can kill many of our conquerors. When I was three I learned to apply poison to a blade. When I was seven, I first killed a man. When I have children, I shall teach them to hate, as I hate, and one day, our enemies will be no more, and we will be free to speak once more of love."
    Last edited by Benthesquid; 2014-10-05 at 12:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Potential Trigger Warnings for Child Soldier related subject matter
    Show
    "Hate? Speak not to me of hate. No Quinsaran knows how to hate. Where I come from, we are born in hate. We drink it in, with our mothers' milk. Our fathers whisper it to us when they dandle us on their knee- those of us who are left with mothers or fathers. Every night before I went to bed, I would pray, "Let me grow up tall and strong, so that I can kill many of our conquerors. When I was three I learned to apply poison to a blade. When I was seven, I first killed a man. When I have children, I shall teach them to hate, as I hate, and one day, our enemies will be no more, and we will be free to speak once more of love."
    -Ombeka Noruda, fighter in the Anumbra Martyrs Brigade.

"I applaud your oratory skills and moral backbone but you're wasting your time. My armies are bigger, my treasure deeper and my ambition endless. Colonel, do your work."
    Last edited by Aolbain; 2014-10-05 at 01:26 PM.