New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Optimisation with decent starting stats

Well I rolled for the stats and the result is: 15 15 14 13 11 18.

Those are fairly decent stats preracial.
    What's the class that would take the biggest advantage from having more good stats than usual?

2. - Top - End - #2

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Optimisation with decent starting stats

Single class only?
    Barbarian
    Monk
    Paladin
    Ranger

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post

What's the class that would take the biggest advantage from having more good stats than usual?
    You could try some multiclass shenanagins, for one. You both don't need to actually increase stats as you level, and don't need to go through any hoops to qualify for multi-classes at all. Beyond simply that, you can actually make use of features which need a disparate stat array to work, unlike everyone else. No door is closed to you (or rather, one might be by that 11) so you can do whatever you want. In fact, if you want a real MAD build, you could do some shenanagins with multiclassing, say, Paladin and Ranger which is normally nearly impossible (you have to dump CON into the toilet), or Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue, etc.

There are even reasons to do this; Barbarians can gain advantage for Rogue sneak attacks, Rogues can sneak attack with finesse weapons even if they are currently using STR, rangers can duel wield which is good with static modifiers like Barbarian Rage, and the end result is a build with no truly incredible boosts but a lot of minor ones that work well. I would recommend taking Barbarian first up to 5 or so, then going nuts with the multi-classing once you have extra-attack and rage. Barbarians drop off after then anyway in terms of actual class features.

The main problem with doing a single class build here is that, well, 5e is pretty good about only requiring two and a half attributes from everyone (an attack stat, CON, and either DEX or a spellcasting stat).

But besides that, Rogue or Bard for skills. For a Rogue the 11 goes in STR and the rest round out every attribute you might use for a skill. You can switch it around, but I'd put the 18 in DEX, a 15 in CON, the 14 in INT, another 15 in WIS, and the 13 in CHA. At that point, you can take any skill in the game, and be able to do all of them. I prefer acrobatics, stealth, investigation, perception, insight, and deception; the first three because they are needed to do Rogue things, the last three because they are skills which you might need individually, but which one character can also specialize and potentially save the party a world of hurt.

For a similar reason, Bard works mostly because you can use jack of all stats to actually be a jack of all stats, with a +3 or 4 to every skill. Plus, a high starting stat really benefits spellcasters, and you got an 18 there (further, you can be a half-elf, which gives you a 20 CHA and turns those 15's into 16's, which is great). Bard's further get a lot of skills, and you can basically almost with +9 to the charisma skills, which is pretty bonkers (once you get expertise). And Bards have the second or third highest MAD dependence in my experience, needing DEX, CON, and CHA to all be pretty high to function well at all their typical roles (of course, Bards can just refuse to use weapons and not need DEX, but old timers expect the bard to a delusional fool who thinks singing makes them good with a rapier, so there is pressure to be MAD).

Monks are next, incidentally, and Monks really benefit from having a couple bonkers stats. For them, 20 DEX and 16 WIS is a godsend, because they can reach maxed AC (20) at level eight that way instead of being mediocre the entire game.

Finally, Barbarians, because they can get a high naked AC without sacrificing STR by have a 16 DEX and CON, and also your roll would give them enough WIS that they aren't a simple liability in the wrong fights, like most min-maxed barbarians are. You can also go nuts with weird choices like a halfling barbarian, as you don't need a STR bonus.
    Last edited by MrCharlie; 2019-11-24 at 08:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Some advantages:

• You can use all your ASIs for feats
    • You can multiclass without worrying about optimal splits and minimum requirements
    • MAD means basically nothing to you
    • You can choose an otherwise suboptimal race (either because you like their feature sets or just think they're cool

You got very lucky with your rolls, so the sky's the limit for you right now concept wise.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You can start 20 16, which is 2 ASI above point buy. And you have a 3rd stat at 15, which is good for MAD classes.

Monk is prolly the most starved on ASI, start wood elf Dex20 Wis16 then pick mobile and wood elf magic.

Any half-elf Cha class is good.
    - Dex16 Con16 Cha20 is great for casters, OTOH you're a little short on good feats after that.
    - With Str13 you can go dexadin and load up on sentinel, inspiring leader and other nice feats.

Or do something crazy like a hill dwarf wizard, Int18 Con17 makes it sturdy.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

6. - Top - End - #6

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    Or do something crazy like a hill dwarf wizard, Int18 Con17 makes it sturdy.
    Maybe a mountain dwarf as any full caster. Medium armor guaranteed + 15 Dex + 18 Casting stat + 17 Con to pair with resilient: constitution later.
    I'd personally do a mountain dwarf war wizard.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Maybe a mountain dwarf as any full caster. Medium armor guaranteed + 15 Dex + 18 Casting stat + 17 Con to pair with resilient: constitution later.
    I'd personally do a mountain dwarf war wizard.
    MD medium armor is overrated. You need shield proficiency to make it shine.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

8. - Top - End - #8

You could do some fun things with a strength based sentinel rogue build

V-Human Rogue /w Moderately Armored Feat
    20 Str, 15 Dex 16 Con, 13 Int, 14 Wis, 11 Cha

Rapier(but using Str) and Shield build /w Breastplate gives you a decent AC. Good CON + Uncanny dodge means you'll be fine on the front lines.

Take Sentinel at level 4 and you can sneak attack folks who try and move past or attack an adjacent ally.

Arcane trickster will let you pick up booming blade, possibly shield(if you grab warcaster at level 8).

Alternately:

Fighter 1/Rogue X
    Screw stealth and wear plate
    Heavy Armor master at level 1 gets you 20 Strength and a ton of durability
    Otherwise, same progression and you grab Booming Blade at level 4 and Sentinel at level 5

Tankiest Rogue out there.

Finally, you could just do a standard Dex based Rogue who can use a shield
    Again, Moderately Armored feat for V-Human - With 20 Dex, Studded leather and shield = 19 AC at level 1 - Actually better than using a breastplate if you put the 20 in Dex instead of Str
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-11-25 at 10:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Well right now I am considering a swashbuckler rogue or a monk.

The DM is pretty open to homebrew does anyone know an intresting monk subclass?

Also for the race I got greenlight for this. So I'll probably play the gooperson.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Well right now I am considering a swashbuckler rogue or a monk.

The DM is pretty open to homebrew does anyone know an intresting monk subclass?

Also for the race I got greenlight for this. So I'll probably play the gooperson.
    A) Yes that race sounds awesome.
    B) If you can swing that feat on a monk, absolutely go monk over rogue. You've got the stats, and you'll get the extra damage on strike to boot.
    C) I would suggest even going 4-elements monk to really play up your elemental nature as an gooperson. Even though it's a standard subclass and generally considered weak, that's often because it requires focusing on WIS more than people want - which your statblock shouldn't have any issue with. There are also lots of "fixes" for this subclass if you can convince your DM to use one.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talsin View Post
    A) Yes that race sounds awesome.
    B) If you can swing that feat on a monk, absolutely go monk over rogue. You've got the stats, and you'll get the extra damage on strike to boot.
    C) I would suggest even going 4-elements monk to really play up your elemental nature as an gooperson. Even though it's a standard subclass and generally considered weak, that's often because it requires focusing on WIS more than people want - which your statblock shouldn't have any issue with. There are also lots of "fixes" for this subclass if you can convince your DM to use one.
    A) Glad to ear
    B) I don't know that, the DM greenligthed the race and I created the feat later for fun.
    C)I honestly never even looked the 4EM since everyone says that it sucks. And the problem ins't the Wis dependance but the speed that this subclass consumes ki. You loose all your ki in a couple of rounds and have litterally 5 spells at 17th level. Also this doesn't feels like an elemental master but more like a half caster.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

A) Glad to ear
    B) I don't know that, the DM greenligthed the race and I created the feat later for fun.
    C)I honestly never even looked the 4EM since everyone says that it sucks. And the problem ins't the Wis dependance but the speed that this subclass consumes ki. You loose all your ki in a couple of rounds and have litterally 5 spells at 17th level. Also this doesn't feels like an elemental master but more like a half caster.
    The communal "fixes" may address some of your concerns with 4EM. Combat can often be short, but also remember that your Ki will come back on a short rest. Like a Warlock, you may be able to just keep fireballing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It would be great for a Conquest Paladin. You normally need to leave Str at 16 because Cha and Feats do more for you. In this case you can go Half Elf and start with 20 Cha 16 Str, 16 Con. The normal Fallen Aasimar setup still works great of course.
    Last edited by Blood of Gaea; 2019-11-26 at 09:11 PM.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGuy

Well it's done.

Oozefolk, wannabe Way of the Astral Self, monk.

Ability scores:
    Str 11
    Dex 20
    Con 16
    Int 13
    Wis 15
    Cha 14

It's going to be fun.
    Thanks to everyone who helped.