New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Chaos/Luck themed witch ideas

I'm planning on a chaotic neutral witch whose theme is influencing probability through chaos/luck, boosting allies and cursing enemies.

What traits/feats/spells/deities etc would go with this theme?

I'm aware of the halfling jinx alternate racial, but im not sure of many other things that would fit this theme other than the powers the witch already gets like misfortune.

Thanks in advance for any info

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Chaos/Luck themed witch ideas

If you go Human, you might also be interested in the Defiant Luck tree. There are several feats that allow you to reroll or force a reroll in certain situations.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks for that. I had seen defiant luck but just thought it was a single feat, wasn't aware it was the beginning of a tree!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Patron-wise: Deception, Moon, Shadow and Transformation could fit a chaos theme (i.e. change.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Ancestors seemed like the closest fit for a patron to me, but honestly, none of them really jumped out as being that close. A lot of it I think will come down to spell selection. You could focus on things that buff and debuff and just fluff it as manipulating probabilities.

There are a lot of good debuffs that are touch-based and if you wanted to use those as ranged-touch, Gravewalker comes with a nice perk for that. Then you'd be able to do things like Bestow Curse ranged.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If you don't mind dipping than Dual-Cursed Oracle has a nice 1st level Revelation:
    Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day.
    No Save, no prep time, very much NOT level-dependent.
    Just straight up "nope, try that again".
    It even has a nice "hex-flavor" in that it only works 1/day per target.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think trickery and deception are the two patrons that fit best. Both involve messing with the enemy through illusions, but i think trickery is slightly better.

I'm not really keen on level dips, but i'll look over oracle again to be sure.

Thanks for the tips all

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

There's a lot of built-in discouragement for level dipping in PF but dipping into Oracle in particular... they're all cursed and their curses become more manageable with benefits they get at later levels. And then DUAL-cursed oracle? Yeah, seriously think it through before you dip for one pretty cool power.

At the risk of digressing...

before the results of the roll are revealed
    That can't be right. Surely you have to know if it was a success before you make them re-roll it. Otherwise this is a completely useless ability. Am I just misunderstanding how the power works or misreading something? Are they saying that you see the number on the die but that you don't know for certain if that results in a success (or successful to what degree) based on the stats of the creature?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a character (though a sorcerer, not a witch) with a similar theme who will go into the Harrower prestige class.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the witch hex Misfortune does allow a will save, but in every other respect, it's better, especially if you extend it with Cackle. You can keep stacking up Misfortunes on your enemies and Cackle on your move action to keep it going.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    That can't be right. Surely you have to know if it was a success before you make them re-roll it. Otherwise this is a completely useless ability. Am I just misunderstanding how the power works or misreading something? Are they saying that you see the number on the die but that you don't know for certain if that results in a success (or successful to what degree) based on the stats of the creature?
    Yes, that's what it means; You know the number on the die but not whether it was a success or fail (which would be the result.) Basically if you see them roll high it makes you want to use it, even if it turns out the high roll might not have saved them anyway. And if they roll borderline (in the 11-14 range) it creates uncertainty as you may want to save it for a clearer "win" by that foe down the road, like a nat 20.

Also, the witch hex Misfortune does allow a will save, but in every other respect, it's better, especially if you extend it with Cackle. You can keep stacking up Misfortunes on your enemies and Cackle on your move action to keep it going.
    I think OP has already taken the hexes into account.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-09-25 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think OP has already taken the hexes into account.
    I think he was still replying to my Oracle>Misfortune post....not certain though...
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    I think he was still replying to my Oracle>Misfortune post....not certain though...
    I looked at the oracle and definitely not worth the downsides for the small benefit gained, but it was a good thought anyway.

As pointed out the misfortune hex is slightly less powerfull but i can use it all day long.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aza9999 View Post
    I looked at the oracle and definitely not worth the downsides for the small benefit gained, but it was a good thought anyway.

As pointed out the misfortune hex is slightly less powerfull but i can use it all day long.
    People are quick to point out the effectiveness of Misfortune+Cackle, but don't overlook the feat Accursed Hex. Few things more annoying than an enemy who makes their save and with this feat, you get a second chance.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aza9999 View Post

I was merely saying it's silly to level-dip for that one ability. You could go Dual-cursed Oracle and just find ways to make that work for your theme. Oracles have lots of cool potential and good spell list to pick from as well.

But the witch hex is only less powerful in one respect--it allows a will save. In most respects it's more powerful. Instead of just making them re-roll and potentially rolling better the second time, it makes them roll twice and pick the lowest (that's better), it lasts longer as you get higher level (better), it can be extended indefinitely with cackle (better), you can try again on the same creature that made its save if you take accursed hex (still not as good as no-save but it helps).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

But the witch hex is only less powerful in one respect--it allows a will save.
    Correction:
    Oracle-Misfortune has THREE things going for it over Witch-Misfortune:
    1: Does not allow a save
    2: Can be used as an Immediate Action (yes a Witch can Cackle-extend as much as they want, but that doesn't help against any creature they haven't already Hexed)
    3: Due to the wording Oracle-Misfortune can be used on your Allies to 'force them' to re-roll bad rolls (no, why are you making me re-roll that 1, I liked that 1)
    [retired]

Oradin Guide