New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-10-06 at 08:17 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Æl-Ceald, the Endless Cold - My campaign setting in progress, an incomplete draft

The setting info is now much more complete, and I've posted what I have written so far for you guys to review.

Please tell me what you think, I could really use feedback and constructive criticism on this!
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Æl-Ceald, the Endless Cold - My campaign setting in progress, an incomplete draft

Nice setting. I'd play in it. It's nice to see the dwarves as a setting's intellectuals for a change, since they're often depicted as technologically advanced, but the academic knowledge base to support it generally gets glossed over. One thing I should probably bring up, however, is that mushrooms are not just "underground plants". They're decomposers, they need something to feed on. However, that doesn't render dwarven society totally impossible, and actually creates plot hooks. Perhaps one villain can be an evil dwergaz fieflord who's taken to raiding tribes for slaves so he can use their corpses in horticulture.

I also like what you did with the multiple gender roles. It strikes a nice balance between LGBT-unfriendly settings and anachronistically-progressive ones in a believable way, and helps to create the impression of a foreign, tribal culture. The terminology(which I, speaking no Scandinavian languages whatsoever, have to assume consists of words from one or more of said languages, aside from the Norse mythology references I can identify) is also cool as hell. The one gripe I have is with your map. It could really use better labeling. Some racial statblocks would also be nice, since elves seem to rely more on wisdom and dwarves seem to rely more on intelligence in this setting. I'd assume that the racial bonuses themselves are changed from the default to accommodate these differences.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by TandemChelipeds View Post
    Nice setting. I'd play in it. It's nice to see the dwarves as a setting's intellectuals for a change, since they're often depicted as technologically advanced, but the academic knowledge base to support it generally gets glossed over. One thing I should probably bring up, however, is that mushrooms are not just "underground plants". They're decomposers, they need something to feed on. However, that doesn't render dwarven society totally impossible, and actually creates plot hooks. Perhaps one villain can be an evil dwergaz fieflord who's taken to raiding tribes for slaves so he can use their corpses in horticulture.

I also like what you did with the multiple gender roles. It strikes a nice balance between LGBT-unfriendly settings and anachronistically-progressive ones in a believable way, and helps to create the impression of a foreign, tribal culture. The terminology(which I, speaking no Scandinavian languages whatsoever, have to assume consists of words from one or more of said languages, aside from the Norse mythology references I can identify) is also cool as hell. The one gripe I have is with your map. It could really use better labeling. Some racial statblocks would also be nice, since elves seem to rely more on wisdom and dwarves seem to rely more on intelligence in this setting. I'd assume that the racial bonuses themselves are changed from the default to accommodate these differences.
    Thanks for reading through it!
    The mushroom thing hadn't even occured to me, and I like your spin on it. I am definitely making a note of that.

It's so good to hear that the gender bits worked for you, that balance between LGBT-unfriendly and too progressive is exactly what I was going for. The gender roles was what made this setting really click for me. I was trying to make the societies I am creating realy stand out as different and exciting.

The languages I have been using so far are actually old germanic for the humans and gaelic for the elves. That is to say, I found online dictionaries of those ancient, dead languages and chose some terms to butcher and bastardise for the purposes of my setting. An ancient history professor would probably roll his eyes, but I think they add character and depth to the setting. Glad you liked it!

As for the map, thats a work in progress. I'll make sure to label it better, and I might redraw it entirely once I fuly master the software.

I hadn't considered changing the races around, but you have just inspired me to do so. I'll break open the ARG and see what I can do to make each race feel unique and different.
    - G. K. Chesterton

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven't had time to read the whole thing (though I plan to when I have a little more free time), but I do have a question.

I understand that the Bifylc survive primarily by hunting, because the land is too cold for agriculture. What to the animals they hunt eat, though? If the land is warm and fertile enough to produce sufficient food to support reindeer herds and the like, why couldn't people find a way to make agriculture work there?

I like what I've read so far, and I'll be back to read the rest later!
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    I haven't had time to read the whole thing (though I plan to when I have a little more free time), but I do have a question.

I understand that the Bifylc survive primarily by hunting, because the land is too cold for agriculture. What to the animals they hunt eat, though? If the land is warm and fertile enough to produce sufficient food to support reindeer herds and the like, why couldn't people find a way to make agriculture work there?

I like what I've read so far, and I'll be back to read the rest later!
    Thanks for taking the time to read. :) I really appreciate it!

They hunt muskox, reindeer, deer and moose, and other similiarly sized animals, as well as smaller game like rabbits and grouse.
    These animals subsist mostly on moss and lichen, as well as the bark and leaves of evergreen trees. The world is covered in snow the year round, but temperatures can go above freezing during certain months. There is no pattern or reason behind these shifts though, it's all down to weather. I guess in my mind some plants continue to grow despite the frigid conditions, I suppose there is magic involved. Reindeer herds and herds of other arctic animals like the muskox do feed during winter, though, mostly on lichen and moss as I described.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-09-27 at 04:33 PM.
    - G. K. Chesterton

7. - Top - End - #7

Each race is now updated with Racial Traits!
    - G. K. Chesterton

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to read. :) I really appreciate it!

They hunt muskox, reindeer, deer and moose, and other similiarly sized animals, as well as smaller game like rabbits and grouse.
    These animals subsist mostly on moss and lichen, as well as the bark and leaves of evergreen trees. The world is covered in snow the year round, but temperatures can go above freezing during certain months. There is no pattern or reason behind these shifts though, it's all down to weather. I guess in my mind some plants continue to grow despite the frigid conditions, I suppose there is magic involved. Reindeer herds and herds of other arctic animals like the muskox do feed during winter, though, mostly on lichen and moss as I described.
    Each and every incongruity is potential for a plot hook. Maybe that's why druids accept outsiders into their ranks: Their subtle interference is the only thing keeping the ecosystem going, and they're somewhat aware of this(though they probably believe that they're simply maintaining a preexisting balance).

9. - Top - End - #9

Each and every incongruity is potential for a plot hook. Maybe that's why druids accept outsiders into their ranks: Their subtle interference is the only thing keeping the ecosystem going, and they're somewhat aware of this(though they probably believe that they're simply maintaining a preexisting balance).
    I really like the way you think.
    - G. K. Chesterton

10. - Top - End - #10

Coming up: More world info and a larger geographical area explored, a chapter on monsters of Æl-Ceald and three additional player races! I'm doing half-elves, half-orcs and catfolk next.
    - G. K. Chesterton

11. - Top - End - #11

Other Peoples

Aside from the Three Peoples, there are other races who make their homes in the snowy wastes of Æl-Ceald. There are the orcs, called orkaz by the bífylc tribes, a savage and warlike race whose marauding clans are a constant terror to the bífylc and the albaz. And in the far north, the catfolk whom the bífylc call deuzán dwell. Their society is made up of close-knit family groups, and they are much more peaceful than their bífylc neighbors, lacking the unified leadership that the bífylc rely on.

The deuzán come from the far north of Æl-Ceald, beyond the Niflheim mountain range. They live a nomadic life similiar to the bífylc, and their wanderings sometimes brings them into contact with the neighboring tribes. They are a peaceful people, though they can be fierce warriors if provoked, a lesson the warlike bífylc have learned many times and seem to keep forgetting.
    The deuzán have no tribes or overarching societal structure, but are instead united by a common cultural and religious heritage. In stark contrast to the bífylc, the albaz and the dwergaz, the deuzan do not worship the Dragon Kings of Earth. The Dragon Kings do have a role in the oral history of the deuzán, and they recognise the gods as their creators, but the primary religious tradition of the catfolk is ancestor worship and an animistic belief in and respect for the spirits that dwell in all things.
    Deuzán shamans conduct rituals to celebrate and honor the ancestors of the deuzán people, and they have a powerful respect for nature and all life. This respect for their ancestors colors every aspect of deuzán life. The spirits of those who came before need appeasing, and in return for the offerings and gifts the deuzán give their ancestors, they expect their help and intervention in times of need. The offerings can range from food and drink to tools, weapons, fine items of clothing and jewelery. It is common to offer such gifts before important events like weddings, births and hunts, and an ancestor who fails to give blessings and fortune on such occasions shames the entire family. Powerful rites are needed to cleanse such a dark shadow from a family, and on rare occasions the offending ancestor spirit may be summoned to answer for it's actions.
    Likewise, it is important to offer gifts to the spirits of the world. The spirit of a river must be fed, so it will not take the lives of children straying too near. Prayers are offered to the spirits of animals slain to feed the family, and small tokens or gifts may be buried with the animals bones to send its spirit off to the next world.
    Wintras came as a hard blow to the deuzán. Their shamans believe that some great offense was committed against the spirits of winter and weather, and each year during what was once summer, shamans from all the deuzán lands gather to perform great and powerful rites to please these powerful spirits. No prayers have been answered during these moots, but the shamans faith is unwavering, and their dedication is strong. The curse of Wintras hangs like a dark cloud over the deuzán, and their songs and tales tell of the warm glories of Súmar. These melancholic songs and stories fill the hearts of those who listen with a profound sadness, but there is always a note of hope in them.
    The deuzán live their life surrounded by family. These family groups bind many generations of catfolk together, and nothing is more sacred to a deuzán than this familial bond. The catfolk are matriarchal, and each family is led by it's oldest female. Young males who come of age leave their families behind, and strike out into the wilderness in search of a mate and a new family to join. These wanderings can take years, as the nomadic lives of the deuzán take them far and wide across the icy plains. Once a male manages to find a female who will have him, his new family will prepare a massive feast in honor of the young couple. This is a time of great celebration for the catfolk, and such celebrations can last for up to a week of music and merriment. The male is expected to bring with him stories of his ancestors, and each night of the celebration the young man will delight his new family with tales of the heroism, bravery and wisdom of his past kin. If the family is not satisfied with these tales, the young male is allowed to stay until he has mated with hisfemale, and then is sent on his way. In this way, every tribe is blessed with new life, even if the young couple failed to find love.
    Sometimes wandering males find their way to a bífylc kunján. The catfolk are viewed by most tribes as welcome guests, who bring fascinating tales and news from afar. Every so often, such meetings ends with the young male falling in love with a bífylc woman. The ways of the bífylc are strange and often unsettling to a young deuzán, who show little interest in the romantic advances of men of either gender. Surprisingly, many catfolk wanderers fall in love with maýdvaz. The dynamic between a deuzán and his maýdvaz love shares many elements of a traditional catfolk marriage, with the female leading the household and the male allowing himself to be led. Their attraction to strong women and their subservient attitude to marriage pleases many maýdvaz too, and of all the relationships that form between catfolk and bífylc, these are the strongest and most enduring. Once a deuzán forms such a relationship, their strong faith in marriage and family make them excellent partners, both nurturing and fiercely protective.

The strange religious beliefs of the catfolk are often accepted by the bífylc once they understand that they do indeed pay respects to the Dragon Kings. Some priests will balk at the notion of ancestor worship, but by and large the catfolk are allowed to keep their excentricities. The fact that most catfolk are excellent singers, and quick learners will please most priests, and a deuzán who learns all the songs of worship will gain much respect within the kunján.

(Catfolk stats are unchanged from how they appear in the Advanced Race Guide)
    - G. K. Chesterton

12. - Top - End - #12

Default Re: Æl-Ceald, the Endless Cold - My campaign setting. Comments appreciated!

Orcs are done!

The orkaz are an aggressive race of bloodthirty and relentless clans who think nothing of brutally murdering, raping and stealing from anyone who neighbors their lands. These savage brutes were created by the Five Lords of Darkness during the First War as soldiers in their terrible crusade against the Three Peoples; the Dark Lords twisted and mutilated men, dwarves and elves to create the foul lineage of the orkaz, and they bear a deep hatred in their hearts even now for this ancestral suffering imposed on them by cruel,uncaring gods. In that long forgotten age, the hordes of orkaz swept over the land like a plague, and many great nations were swallowed by their howling armies. In the final battles of the First War the orkaz were beaten back and defeated, and when the Lords of Darkness were struck down from the skies and banished they crept into their dark holes to lick their wounds and plot their revenge.
    That revenge finally came with Wintras. The howling winds and icy cold of the All-winter was their battlecry, and they stepped out into the world once more to rape, pillage and kill.
    Today, the orkaz clans claim territories all over Æl-Ceald. They are not nomadic, but have built several walled villages from which their raiding parties surge forth whenever their chieftains feel the lust for blood. These villages have resisted multiple bífylc attacks over the years, and though some of them have been wiped off the map new ones spring up constantly and the orkaz threat remains.
    An orkaz stands taller than a human, and their powerful, muscular frames are imposing and threatening. Their skin ranges from dull gray to light green, but the greatest males among them have skin as black as night and stand even taller than their lesser brethren. These natural born tyrants, called only the Great and Black by their kin, are the chieftains and warlords of the orkaz.
    To the orkaz, only power is important. As their dark shamans say, "strength ennobles the strong." Though rare, the Great and Black are born stronger, faster and tougher than other orkaz, and their ascension to power is swift, brutal and deadly. Each Great and Black must fight his elders for the right to rule, and it is not uncommon for a young Great and Black to murder every other Great and Black in his clan for his rule to be uncontested. The clever among them murder every infant born with the black skin to secure his power, but a new one inevitably rises and their reign is usually as short as it was brutal.
    The Great and Black gather harems of females around them, to mate with as they please. The urge to mate is strong in them, as the Lords of Darkness intended, and they will take for their pleasure any woman they come across, race be damned. Because of this, many members of the clans will be æclæca, but these individuals are treated the same as any other orkaz clansman. Some males, the smaller, weaker ones, will often pretend to be females to gain access to these harems, and those Great and Black who see through these disguises often tolerate these impostors and may even mate with them. The orkaz crave any release they can get from their pain, so sex is sex to them.

Each orkaz feels the pain of the races creation in his soul, and it is this painful legacy that drives them to slaughter and war. The tortured soul of an orkaz cries out for release, and it is not uncommon for orkaz slain in battle to die laughing.

The orkaz practice their religion like every other aspect of their violent lives. Orkaz rites are blood soaked and horrifying, involving both sacrifice, pain and cannibalism, as well as unspeakable sexual acts. They do not worship their gods, they hate them. Every atrocity committed in their rites and ceremonies is made to challenge the Lords of Darkness, to spit in their eye and demand they come down and answer for their crimes. They howl at the stars, curse the moon and the heavens, and dance in feverish rage around huge bonfires filled with the burning bodies of the sacrificed. The few outsiders who have witnessed these rites dare not speak of them aloud, and are often scarred for life by what they have seen. But more than anything else, those who know what the orkaz know feel pity for these vile creatures, cursed by the corrupting touch of the Lords of Darkness to forever be hollow and tortured.

(Orkaz stats are unchanged from the regular Bestiary Orc for now, I'm looking into changing them up a bit.)

Let me know what you think!
    - G. K. Chesterton

13. - Top - End - #13

Default Re: Æl-Ceald, the Endless Cold - My campaign setting. Comments appreciated!

Here's the write-up for the gods of Æl-Ceald, the Dragon Kings of earth. Their evil counterparts, the Lords of Darkness, will follow eventually.

Gods of Æl-Ceald

Wulthuz, Dragon King of Life
    Chaotic Good
    Portfolios: God of life, animals and nature
    Domains: Animal, Earth, Good, Plant, Sun, Water
    Wulthuz is the King of Life, and patron god of all living things. Everything that walks, flies and grows in Æl-Ceald owe him their lives, for he was the Dragon King who sang the first notes of the Worldsong, leading his brothers and sisters in the choir that created life itself. Songs honoring Wulthuz are sung in gratitude for the gift of life, especially at births. He appears as a magnificent brass dragon shining with the light of the sun.

Fullo, Dragon Queen of Prosperity
    Neutral Good
    Portfolios: Goddess of family, community and health
    Domains: Air, Charm, Community, Good, Healing, Weather
    Fullo is the Dragon Queen of family and community. The Three Peoples pray and sing to her for guidance in family matters, and in times of need for their tribe, their family or their people. She cares for all her children, and is the patron goddess of parents and children everywhere. Fullo appears as a beautiful bronze dragon, with friendly eyes and glittering scales.

Wurdiz, Dragon Queen of Fate
    Lawful Neutral
    Portfolios: Goddess of fate, fortune and mysteries
    Domains: Darkness, Luck, Magic, Repose, Rune, Trickery
    Wurdiz, She Who Is, is the Dragon Queen of fate and fortune, and patron goddess of mysteries, riddles and that which is hidden. She is also the goddess of peaceful death, and guardian of the afterlife. Her songs are sung at funeral rites, and as invocations of her name to learn the mysteries of destiny. Wurdiz appears as a copper dragon, with stars gleaming in her eyes and the darkness of death underneath her wings.

Wodanaz, Dragon King of Wisdom
    Lawful Good
    Portfolios: God of knowledge, wisdom and understanding
    Domains: Artifice, Good, Knowledge, Law, Rune, Fire
    Greatest among the Dragon Kings of Earth, Wodanaz is the god of wisdom and knowledge. The druids venerate Wodanaz as a teacher and guide to the mysteries of meidh, and among the dwergaz Wodanaz is considered the patron of metalworking and artifice. His songs are sung at the forges and templesmithies of Æl-Ceald, and echo in druid groves across the land. Wodanaz appears as a softly glowing gold dragon, with an aura of wisdom about him that humbles all who stand before the Dragon King.

Teiwaz, Dragon King of Heroes
    Lawful Good
    Portfolios: God of heroes, great deeds and glorious victory
    Domains: Glory, Good, Law, Liberation, Nobility, Strength
    Teiwaz is the protector of Æl-Ceald, the resolute guardian against the influence of the Dark Lords and their minions. He blesses the warrior, and his grace soothes the weary and the defeated, and raises them up to fight anew. He is venerated by warriors across the world, and his songs are sung as battle hymns to prepare for combat. Teiwaz appears as a glorious and impressive silver dragon, and his light burns the wicked and unjust with righteous fire.
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-09-30 at 06:14 AM.
    - G. K. Chesterton

14. - Top - End - #14

Auzawandilaz, Dark Lady of Terror
    Neutral Evil
    Portfolios: Goddess of fear, terror and the night
    Domains: Darkness, Death, Evil, Madness, Magic, Trickery
    Auzawandilaz is the terror of the utter dark, the cold, uncaring mother of darkness in all its forms. When the sun sets and the darkness creeps across the land, all living things feel her terrible touch and cower in fear at her presence. Those who worship her invite madness, and her howling songs chill the bones of even the greatest warriors. Auzawandilaz appears as a terrible black dragon, blacker than even the moonless night sky.

Gautaz, Dark Lord of Deceit
    Lawful Evil
    Portfolios: God of decietfulness, lies and untruths
    Domains: Charm, Evil, Knowledge, Law, Madness, Trickery
    Gautaz, the Father of Lies, is the Dark Lord of Deceit. He is the voice that whispers cruelty in the hearts of all, the source of all that is wrong and corrupted. With a word he topples kings and inspires doubt and fear in nations, and by his will are all men bent and broken. Gautaz desires nothing more than to see all the world kneel before him in supplication. His songs are whispered by those who would seek his dark gifts of deception, but the price for such awful blessings is always too high. Gautaz appears as a blue dragon covered by clouds of dark mists.

Welanduz, Dark Lady of Violence
    Lawful Evil
    Portfolios: Goddess of vengeance, violence and slaughter
    Domains: Death, Evil, Fire, Law, Srength, War
    Welanduz, the Dark Lady of Violence, is the mistress of pain and suffering. She delights in the torment of living things, and every sting of pain is like sweet wine to her. Welanduz thirsts for suffering, and her followers shed the blood of innocents in her name to please the Dark Lady of Violence. Her songs are sun by evil warlords and warriors before battle, and invoking her name brings great fear to any opponent. Welanduz appears as a blood-soaked green dragon, with great, red-stained fangs.

Agilaz, Dark Lord of Destruction
    Chaotic Evil
    Portfolios: God of destruction, death and the end of all things
    Domains: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Evil, War
    Agilaz, the Great Destroyer, is the end of all things. He awaits patiently for the world to end, though he has an active hand in bringing about the end of the world. There is nothing more pleasing to him than lives snuffed out, good things ending and the destruction of beauty and love. Only the bravest and most insane of mortals dares worship the Great Destroyer, and the gifts he gives his followers are never pleasant. His songs are howled by the mad and the depraved, and his rites are dark, twisted and destructive. Agilaz appears as a terrifying red dragon, and his dark wings spew smoke and the stench of death around him.

Grendel, Dark Lord of Beasts
    Chaotic Evil
    Portfolios: Monsters, beasts and all foul things.
    Domains: Animal, Chaos, Evil, Plant, Strength, Weather
    Grendel is the Beast Lord, master of all that creep, crawl and slither. His minions are the monsters, the terrible beasts who rip flesh and chew bones, and everything born of evil, darkness and chaos obeys his will. Like a beast he howls for the flesh of the innocent, and his worshippers cry his terrible songs at night. Grendel appears as a bestial white dragon, with huge terrible fangs.
    - G. K. Chesterton

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huh. I'm normally rather opposed to the idea of "always evil" races, but the background and flavor of your Orkaz race actually works pretty well. Few settings bother to explain why an "always evil" race can't change alignment, but that whole "in constant pain only alleviated by sex, violence, and death" thing explains it pretty well in this case.

It does make me wonder, though, if there might be other ways to relieve the pain of the orkaz. Judging from the fact that they have deity writeups, the Five Dragon Kings still grant blessings to mortals; is it within their power to soothe the pain of an orc? Is it possible, at least in theory, for an orc to suppress their violent tendencies and tolerate their pain? It's probably not fitting for the Norse-ish setting, but I find myself imagining a small sect of orkaz living a secluded, ascetic lifestyle, overcoming their pain by refusing to ever indulge their (blood)lust.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

16. - Top - End - #16

Huh. I'm normally rather opposed to the idea of "always evil" races, but the background and flavor of your Orkaz race actually works pretty well. Few settings bother to explain why an "always evil" race can't change alignment, but that whole "in constant pain only alleviated by sex, violence, and death" thing explains it pretty well in this case.

It does make me wonder, though, if there might be other ways to relieve the pain of the orkaz. Judging from the fact that they have deity writeups, the Five Dragon Kings still grant blessings to mortals; is it within their power to soothe the pain of an orc? Is it possible, at least in theory, for an orc to suppress their violent tendencies and tolerate their pain? It's probably not fitting for the Norse-ish setting, but I find myself imagining a small sect of orkaz living a secluded, ascetic lifestyle, overcoming their pain by refusing to ever indulge their (blood)lust.
    I'm grateful you took the time to read what I've written so far.

Thats very possible! In fact, you just gave me an awesome idea that I'm definitely going to use at some point in the future.
    - G. K. Chesterton

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I see no reason that you can't drop in a little Tibetan flavour. The climate and terrain is appropriate, and if they live in seclusion with little contact with the outside world I can easily see cultural divergence occurring. I mean, even the tribes on the ground have different norms from each other.

18. - Top - End - #18

I see no reason that you can't drop in a little Tibetan flavour. The climate and terrain is appropriate, and if they live in seclusion with little contact with the outside world I can easily see cultural divergence occurring. I mean, even the tribes on the ground have different norms from each other.
    That is actually a very neat idea. Cultural divergence is definitely thematically appropriate for the setting, so taking some inspiration from tibetan life and religion works just fine. And the idea of a group of ascetic orcs turning to gods who have forsaken them to try and experience freedom and peace is an appealing one.

This could be a really cool element. I'll definitely use this in my own campaign at some point, it's too good an idea to pass up.
    - G. K. Chesterton