New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Why ban alignments?

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I feel your pain
    Maybe you should rethink the way you run games if vitriolously mocking people who do things differently and having an absurdly narrow scope of play options are requisite in order to run a "good" campaign.

But no. Everyone else is just a terrible person for thinking options are good.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Maybe you should rethink the way you run games if vitriolously mocking people who do things differently and having an absurdly narrow scope of play options are requisite in order to run a "good" campaign.

I'd say this is a matter of different strokes for different folks; I love having thousands of character options, but some other people prefer a narrow, simpler set of game mechanics.

Besides, their criticism isn't of players who want obscure content from lots of supplements; it's of players who complain when they ask for those and are told, "no".
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-09-26 at 03:25 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Banning an alignment is an easy to do and difficult to lawyer shorthand for banning the personalities and behaviors that would prompt a player to choose that alignment in order to justify themselves.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Besides, their criticism isn't of players who want obscure content from lots of supplements; it's of players who complain when they ask for those and are told, "no".
    The problem arises when players are told no for no valid reason.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pan151 View Post
    Anyone can steal the show regardless of alignment. Anyone can act selfish regardless of alignment. If you have to ban something, ban the behaviour you dislike - the alignment is irrelevant.
    There's a line between acting out of alignment and behaving a certain way and having an alignment that is conducive to the behavior. The alignment is highly relevant. You don't see Lawful Good characters killing their allies for their shares of the loot because that's what their alignment says to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    There's a line between acting out of alignment and behaving a certain way and having an alignment that is conducive to the behavior. The alignment is highly relevant. You don't see Lawful Good characters killing their allies for their shares of the loot because that's what their alignment says to do.
    No, they just tell the party rogue to stop sneaking around and picking people's pockets because it's illegal.

Disruptive is disruptive, regardless of alignment.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    No, they just tell the party rogue to stop sneaking around and picking people's pockets because it's illegal.

Disruptive is disruptive, regardless of alignment.
    If the rogue's lawful, then he shouldn't be doing it anyway. If he's chaotic evil, then he's supposed to be doing that. And that's why you ban that alignment.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Why does the DM care as long as the player isn't disruptive
    Because the DM wants to play a certain style of game that's incompatible with a party with an evil player. Players don't like in when other players screw over their characters. DMs don't like it when players screw over their world.
    Last edited by Sartharina; 2014-09-26 at 03:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

There's not such thing as a bad alignment, just bad players and DMs.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

If the rogue's lawful, then he shouldn't be doing it anyway. If he's chaotic evil, then he's supposed to be doing that. And that's why you ban that alignment.
    And if he's chaotic good, stealing from bad people to provide to the poor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Because the DM wants to play a certain style of game that's incompatible with a party with an evil player. Players don't like in when other players screw over their characters. DMs don't like it when players screw over their world.
    You still haven't demonstrated how playing, say, Faust is "screwing over their world".

Alignment is descriptive, not defining.

11. - Top - End - #101

Players don't like in when other players screw over their characters. DMs don't like it when players screw over their world.
    Neither of which require an evil alignment!

In fact I'd say by far the most disruptive and problematic alignment based issue I've had was from a pacifist NG druid. Nothing quite like someone constantly trying to stop the party thief from... thieving or the party fighter from doing the only thing he's competent at. Constantly.

I'll take CE over that **** any day... or not, because ultimately a player is the problem, not the alignment.

12. - Top - End - #102

Flumph

Aside from an Exalted campaign or something similar, what style of game is incompatible with an Evil character? There are anti-heroes in every genre.
    "Ok guys, here's the plan. First, the rogue will sneak over here, and then..."
    "Sneak?! That's cowardly. I loudly announce our presence and charge forward!"

"We're going to have to bluff our way past these guys."
    "No, I refuse to lie."

Any alignment can be disruptive if you take it too far.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Aside from an Exalted campaign or something similar, what style of game is incompatible with an Evil character? There are anti-heroes in every genre.

"Ok guys, here's the plan. First, the rogue will sneak over here, and then..."
    "Sneak?! That's cowardly. I loudly announce our presence and charge forward!"

"We're going to have to bluff our way past these guys."
    "No, I refuse to lie."

Any alignment can be disruptive if you take it too far.
    He's a rogue. If he has ranks in bluff, he's inclined to bluff. If he doesn't, don't make him. And sneaking isn't a chaotic action. Wanton stealing from people is, and if he's pulling a robin hood he wouldn't be stealing from everyone.

14. - Top - End - #104

He's a rogue. If he has ranks in bluff, he's inclined to bluff. If he doesn't, don't make him. And sneaking isn't a chaotic action. Wanton stealing from people is, and if he's pulling a robin hood he wouldn't be stealing from everyone.
    Which doesn't change any of his points. The hyper disruptive ideologue paladin will find any stealing, regardless of who you're stealing from, to be reprehensibile and any sneaking or bluffing to be dishonorable and therefore something he cannot tolerate.

And that's only if you're lucky and he doesn't consider it Evil (and therefore kill you on the spot).
    Last edited by squiggit; 2014-09-26 at 04:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say it's because the players need to work together more cohesively. Because CE and CN are often used to kill and betray your teammates for no reason, and neutral evil just to betray them over the long term. If I were DM, I wouldn't allow a player to be CE because they'd steal the show; they're supposed to be a team, not with one member selfishly killing the others for no reason.
    Belkar hasn't killed any party members, and he's Chaotic Evil. Richard from Looking for Group is another Chaotic Evil character who stays loyal to his party.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

You're a funny guy, and apparently one who wasn't around for older editions. Now get off my lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Being CE/NE in a good party causes a lot of problems most of the time.

To surpass those problems,and avoid pcs killing each other,
    you have to makes acts an evil character would never do,which is bad rp and a bad choise.

We usually make a mini-conference before starting a campaign and decide the
    general alignment-direction of the party.
    The sword of destiny has two blades,one of them is your death....

DnD Npc 3.5 Generator for Android

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Garanok View Post
    Being CE/NE in a good party causes a lot of problems most of the time.

To surpass those problems,and avoid pcs killing each other,
    you have to makes acts an evil character would never do,which is bad rp and a bad choise.
    Ettina just gave two examples where this isn't the case.

Seriously, no one in the NE/CE Is Unilaterally Disruptive camp is bothering to actually give non-anecdotal evidence.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pan151 View Post
    The problem arises when players are told no for no valid reason.
    And who gets to determine what's a valid reason?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, I'm personally a very permissive DM but I've encountered character concepts that were outright ridiculous for the setting, and people who complained when I calmly explained to them why that character was inappropriate. I wouldn't say that it's an "age of player entitlement", as I've found that people who have trouble grasping the concept of an inappropriate character have trouble grasping a large number of other concepts.

I do agree in general that alignments shouldn't be banned. Evil characters can have friends and agree that party enemy X needs to die. There's certainly cause to give Evil characters more intense scrutiny because you may need more plot hooks than "because it's the right thing to do", or you might get someone who rolls a CE slaughterer, but that's a per character basis. You could also have a paladin who kills people for jaywalking.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2014-09-26 at 04:24 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    Belkar hasn't killed any party members, and he's Chaotic Evil. Richard from Looking for Group is another Chaotic Evil character who stays loyal to his party.
    Belkar is both atypical and has come shockingly near killing his party. Quite frankly he hasn't yet because he knows the others would kill him. Plus, he's a ranger, so poor sneaking skills.

22. - Top - End - #112

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Which doesn't change any of his points. The hyper disruptive ideologue paladin will find any stealing, regardless of who you're stealing from, to be reprehensibile and any sneaking or bluffing to be dishonorable and therefore something he cannot tolerate.

And that's only if you're lucky and he doesn't consider it Evil (and therefore kill you on the spot).
    This was my point, yeah. You're looking at it from the perspective of a reasonable player, and none of the alignments are necessarily disruptive if played by a reasonable player.
    Last edited by Divide by Zero; 2014-09-26 at 04:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

If the rogue's lawful, then he shouldn't be doing it anyway.
    That's not even remotely true. Lawful means you follow a code, not that you follow the laws of wherever you are. Or do you think that Paladins become violent racists when they visit Thay?

A thief who follows a strict code of who he steals from and then returns stolen goods when he unwittingly steals from the wrong person is absolutely fine. For example, Indiana Jones steals repeatedly and unashamedly, but Complete Scoundrel pegs him as LG. Likewise, just about anyone in the Mafia is LE. In fact, of all the classes called out by WotC, only two must be chaotic. One of these is the sacred thief of a CN deity and so has the same restrictions as a cleric, and the other specifically focuses on stealing from LE devils.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    And who gets to determine what's a valid reason?
    Common logic.

Wanting to prevent thing X is a valid reason for banning thing X itself.

Wanting to prevent thing X is not a valid reason for banning an entirely independent thing Y.

In short, if an alignment itself is specifically undesirable, then you ban that alignment. Say, if the story is that the party was specifically chosen by the god of Balance to eradicate all extreme alignments and bring true balance or something, then it would make perfect sense that you would not allow a LG, CG, LE or CE character, because such a character would not have been chosen by the god in the first place.
    However, what people in this thread seem to specifically have a problem with is disruptive behaviour, which is irrelevant from alignment and thus banning specific alignments is misguided and pointless.
    Last edited by Pan151; 2014-09-26 at 05:33 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TandemChelipeds View Post
    If your players think Chaotic Neutral means "lolrandom", you need to get better players. When I play Chaotic Neutral, I basically play it as "Chaotic Good, but willing to stoop lower". You know, the way everyone else plays Lawful Neutral.
    Actually most (all?) of my players are quite mature and non-disruptive. The alignment restriction was written into the campaign document not because I feared my players would be intentionally disruptive to the theme of the campaign, but merely there to avoid any confusion later on.

And I think it's hilarious that you bemoan the effects of newer editions and the internet, seeing as the entire CN=lolrandom attitude is an artifact from AD&D, when the game designers were still trying to wrap their heads around the idea of chaos not being implicitly evil(though arguably, they still haven't quite figured that out; see the de facto evil Slaadi in 3e and the axing of all non-evil chaotic alignments in 4e).
    Never really played 4E, so can't comment on that. I suppose the CN = Chaotic Insane viewpoint has existed since 1E; I mean AFAIK that is the first time that alignment existed.

In my personal view, Law vs Chaos could actually be a very interesting campaign, like the Jedi vs the Sith, or the Vorlon vs. Shadows (although everyone has their own take on whether those conflicts fall directly into Law vs. Chaos or not). The current campaign I'm running, however, is focused on Good vs. Evil, and that's my choice as a DM.

I still personally believe there is a "new age of player entitlement", but whether it's specifically connected to 3.0 onwards and/or the popularity of forums where people gather and, among other things, dissect the faults (real or imagined) of their DM is up for debate. I guess I'm very old school in the fact that I believe if someone is good enough to give up a significant chunk of his time to DM for us and create a fun world/campaign for us to game in, I tend to view them with respect and accede to the occasional ban or restriction during character creation.

26. - Top - End - #116

I wonder why it isn't Paladins that get routinely banned? It is hard to argue that their class features flat out encouraging them to interfere with what other party members / players can or cannot do doesn't make them disruptive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

I normally just 'ban' all alignments and tell my players to make interesting characters without using a cobbled together ethics system as a crutch or excuse.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    I normally just 'ban' all alignments and tell my players to make interesting characters without using a cobbled together ethics system as a crutch or excuse.
    That's a good point. I should point out, in addition to my above posts, that I tend to use a character's alignment as a guide rather than a hard and fast rule. I'm never going to tell a player "No, your character can't do that, you're NG!". I might have an alignment shift if multiple and flagrant violations of alignment guidelines occur, but this will have little impact for non-Paladins. As to how that fits in with my campaign guidelines, it hasn't come up so far, but I like to think I'm a reasonable and approachable DM, so I'd discuss it with a player to try and reach a mutually agreeable outcome.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm never going to tell a player "No, your character can't do that, you're NG!"
    Yeah, the closest a DM should come to saying this is "This seems really out of character given your previous generosity/nobility/murderhoboness; what's your character's reasoning or motivation?" or "Okay, I think we may have pegged your character's alignment wrong. He's really acting more like Lawful Evil than Lawful Neutral."

In D&D the one thing the player has control of is their character, and it isn't the DM's job to usurp that except within very narrow game mechanics (e.g. enchantments). It is the DM's job to help the player improve their roleplaying of a realistic character.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Ettina just gave two examples where this isn't the case.

Seriously, no one in the NE/CE Is Unilaterally Disruptive camp is bothering to actually give non-anecdotal evidence.
    I don't think Ettina's examples count as non-anecdotal.

The point isn't that it's impossible for NE/CE not to be disruptive, it's that they have the capacity to cause a specific kind of disruption that will never, ever occur with other alignments. There is a line. Evil characters can cross the line. Non-evil characters, by definition, cannot. Banning evil alignments is just another way of saying "You can play your character how you like, as long as you never cross this line."

Edit: The way my last DM played it was that you were allowed to become evil, but if you did, your character would become an NPC, and you'd have to make a new one. The NPC would then become a villain in the campaign, thus allowing the player to go through with it if they really felt it would be true to their character to do so, but without creating a situation where the rest of the party is socially pressured into cooperating with them.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-09-26 at 08:07 PM.