New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default So, a Bronze Dragon walks into the Far Realm.....

Hello folks!

I need to kick around some ideas for a Bronze Dragon that paid a visit to the Far Realm and has come back . . . different.

I've considered Half Farspawn, Pseudonatural, and Fiendish templates, but there must be something more "fun" out there.

Anyone have any ideas? Whether it has been changed by Kaorti/Tsochari/other Far Realm denizens, or if it has come back insane with a strange power, that's all up in the air. Anything goes.

3.5 edition.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Post Re: So, a Bronze Dragon walks into the Far Realm.....

Voidmind from MMIII is way creepy.

Here's a list of templates
    http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/1117261

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So, a Bronze Dragon walks into the Far Realm.....

Voidmind Half Farspawn Pseudonatural (Epic) Brainstealer Dragon. Perhaps with Half-Bronze dragon for SnG
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Depending how powerful you want it to be, I'd go with Pseudonatural or Epic Pseudonatural. The typical fluff is that such things are Far Realms creatures which have assumed a form that can (mostly) "fit" in the Multiverse, but could easily be a real creature which took part of our reality with it into the Far Realms and was mutated by leaks of their alien physics and his need to use his shapeshifting powers or magics to adapt.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Hello folks!

I need to kick around some ideas for a Bronze Dragon that paid a visit to the Far Realm and has come back . . . different
    What age category?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by DesdinovaB View Post
    Voidmind from MMIII is way creepy.

Here's a list of templates
    http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/1117261
    Thanks, and I do like Voidmind....

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Voidmind Half Farspawn Pseudonatural (Epic) Brainstealer Dragon. Perhaps with Half-Bronze dragon for SnG
    Brainstealer Dragon....could be a mutated bronze. I like the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    What age category?
    Not sure yet. Party is currently level 10, will most likely be higher when it's my turn to DM again. Age will be appropriate for an encounter, likely not older than adult.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

In the article "Enter the Far Realm" (Dragon #330), among other native monsters, was Kaotric Hulk
    On occasion, creatures of the sane world accidentally (or purposely) enter the Far Realm and survive, but not in any way that a sane creature would want to live.
    Surviving creatures are absorbed by the Amoebic Sea (or some other unnamed entity), and after being taken apart they are rebuilt, transformed into creatures that can exist both in the Far Realm and in the real world of the Material Plane.
    The kaortic hulk is one such type of creature, although it is impossible to say what the base creature might have once been. Too many centuries have passed, and even in that time, the creature has swelled to many times its original size. Some lore would have it that kaortic hulks all trace their lineage back to the original cat familiar of a mage who pushed too far into the Far Realm.
    Assuming "Cat theory" is completely correct, we can compare regular cat and Kaotric Hulk and apply similar changes to our Bronze Dragon
    Spoiler: Kaotric Hulk
    Show
    Differences colored blue (if it's improving/increasing), or red (if not)

Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 9d10+45 (94 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 27 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +17 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 25
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+25
    Attack: Bite +16 melee (2d8+8)
    Full Attack: Bite +16 melee (2d8+8) and 2 claws +10 melee (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., reluctant servant
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7 Str 27, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Skills: Jump +18, Listen +9, Spot +3
    Feats: Alertness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (bite)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral evil
    Advancement: 10-16 HD (Huge); 17-27 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment:—

Reluctant servant (Ex): If a kaotric hulk is called into service through a spell or other effect, there is a 1% cumulative chance each round that it turns on the creature that summoned it.

Spell-Like Abilities: 2/day Gaseous Form, Spider Climb, Invisibility, Silence. Caster level 8th.

Last edited by ShurikVch; 2014-09-25 at 12:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

What about multiheaded, but one head can constantly see into the Far Realm at all times as well as detect creatures with Far Realm influence (so it's not exactly in the best of mental health) while the other head is still capable of normal vision? A lot of its motivation is based on the degree to which it sees other creatures from the Far Realm (precisely when it doesn't want to) and this head is either getting used to it or adapting to this, while the 'normal' head is trying to find some way of returning to its previous existence without necessarily killing itself, because both heads are somewhat integrated into its personality.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    What about multiheaded, but one head can constantly see into the Far Realm at all times as well as detect creatures with Far Realm influence (so it's not exactly in the best of mental health) while the other head is still capable of normal vision? A lot of its motivation is based on the degree to which it sees other creatures from the Far Realm (precisely when it doesn't want to) and this head is either getting used to it or adapting to this, while the 'normal' head is trying to find some way of returning to its previous existence without necessarily killing itself, because both heads are somewhat integrated into its personality.
    This is brilliant! Maybe Voidmind template, one head is Voidmind and the other head is just regular crazy.