New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default A Question for Americans

Playground Citizens occupying the fair United States! This Canadian has a question:

Do you button your shirts from the top down, or the bottom up?

I ask for a friend. A very strange friend. I don't know why she wants to know, but I am compelled to obey when she bats her eyelashes at me.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-09-25 at 07:01 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Question for Americans

Top down, but saving the collar button for last.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Top down, otherwise it's easy to make a button-alignment error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    I don't know why she wants to know
    Can I chance a guess she spent the night with a charming stranger and wants to know where he's from, based on how he was buttoning his shirt the morning after?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Bottom-up, which for me just makes sense. Top-down would just feel weird.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually just button bottom up.

But that's just me.

Edit: Now that I really think about it, I actually go from top to bottom, and save the collar for last as well. It is kind of funny how you miss tiny details like that.
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2014-09-25 at 10:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

How are Canadians supposed to button theirs?

Top down is the safest way for me, regardless of which side of the 45th I'm on.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    I do it this was as well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not nearly so consistent as to always do it in one way or the other. Sometimes I button from the top down, sometimes from the bottom up. I suppose that top down is probably slightly more common for me (and I also leave the collar button for last when I do that).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Bingo. I only button the collar though if I'm dressing up nicely. If it's a casual button-down scenario, I don't bother with the collar at all (it's usually a little tight; I have a large neck).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Bottom up. Top down feels weird, even if I'm less likely to miss buttons that way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

It's bottom-up for me.

Just from a glance of the thread it doesn't look like there's any one specific trend down here.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Pick a spot that seems to have the button and hole match and start buttoning, then get annoyed when the buttons don't line up and wonder why people bother with buttoned shirts to begin with when t-shirts are easier and more comfortable. Then I generally curse whoever thought fashion was a good idea. The bugger.

After that lengthy process, I generally just pick a side to re-align everything on a whim. Sometimes top sometimes bottom. I don't think there is a specific "American Way" to button shirts.

13. - Top - End - #13

Top down, usually.

14. - Top - End - #14

Though it seems stupid to type to the entire Internet, I've kept bottom-to-top at heart because I know that's my path in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Me too. What is weirder to me is watching different people take off t-shirts.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    For me, that's dependent on how my hair is. If it's braided like I normally wear it, I tend to invert it and remove it. If it's loose, I pull it over my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

This is something I have actually changed as an adult, at least to an extent. As a child and adolescent I used to pull one arm in (usually the right) then push it over my head from inside. However I started seeing someone when I was 21 who pulled t-shirts and jumpers off over her head without taking the arms out first and although I initially found it kind of funny I did come to realise that at least as far as delicate jumpers go it was less likely to stretch them than my previous method which did tend to pull at the sleeves a bit. With t-shirts it also tended to reverse them which was handy for washing if they were printed. So that's now my normal way of removing jumpers; I don't wear t-shirts much any more but when I do it varies and I use both methods depending on my mood.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Top down, to eliminate button alignment errors.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends where I'm starting. If I'm just sitting around the house, I tend to have one of the middle buttons done, so I go from the middle up and then from the middle down.

If I'm putting it on to start with, it tends to be top down, saving the collar button for last (if I even button it at all).

Polo shirts and others that aren't full button-down shirts are always bottom up, though - just simpler when there's only two buttons.
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

top down, even on polo shirts where it dosn't really matter.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...Before this question was asked, I thought everyone did it this way.

Polo shirts or others with fewer buttons I might button bottom-up, though.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

i don't button my shirts, i prefer the informal look
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    This is something I have actually changed as an adult, at least to an extent. As a child and adolescent I used to pull one arm in (usually the right) then push it over my head from inside. However I started seeing someone when I was 21 who pulled t-shirts and jumpers off over her head without taking the arms out first and although I initially found it kind of funny I did come to realise that at least as far as delicate jumpers go it was less likely to stretch them than my previous method which did tend to pull at the sleeves a bit. With t-shirts it also tended to reverse them which was handy for washing if they were printed. So that's now my normal way of removing jumpers; I don't wear t-shirts much any more but when I do it varies and I use both methods depending on my mood.
    Relevant to tangent: people insist that how men and women take off their shirts is a sign of differing psychological profiles or a differences of the sexes or whatever; the truth is that different types of shirts, even if they are all "t-shirts", are sized and cut differently. Women's shirts have less room in a lot of places and can't be removed in the same way as a man'a shirt.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Playground Citizens occupying the fair United States! This Canadian has a question:

I ask for a friend. A very strange friend. I don't know why she wants to know, but I am compelled to obey when she bats her eyelashes at me.
    I'm pretty sure that top-down is the "proper" way to do it in both the U.S., Britland, and territories formerly ruled by Britland. I generally try to be proper except for when I'm being purposefully improper with like-minded individuals.

Are you sure she was batting her eyelashes at you to do this and not to get you to kiss de girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Top down, otherwise it's easy to make a button-alignment error.
    Can I chance a guess she spent the night with a charming stranger and wants to know where he's from, based on how he was buttoning his shirt the morning after?
    That's why I was taught to button from the top-down.

Nah, that stuff doesn't work unless one is Sherlock Holmes and by then one would have identified the gentleman caller by the sexual techniques employed if not sooner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Bingo. I only button the collar though if I'm dressing up nicely. If it's a casual button-down scenario, I don't bother with the collar at all (it's usually a little tight; I have a large neck).
    I don't think you're supposed to button the collar unless you're wearing a tie, really. Well, or hanging it up. So I guess if you're wearing it, you only button the collar to see how the collar fits you when purchasing a shirt or making sure a shirt still fits or when wearing a tie. Properly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalAvocado View Post
    i don't button my shirts, i prefer the informal look
    I hope you're wearing an undershirt, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...Before this question was asked, I thought everyone did it this way.

Polo shirts or others with fewer buttons I might button bottom-up, though.
    Same here. I mean, once or twice for whatever reason I've started with the bottom but there was generally some reason, like I had to reach all the way down there. And with a torso like mine that's quite a ways. I mean, I guess when I've buttoned up shirts for girlfriends I've sometimes started from the bottom and worked my way up, but that was usually when they weren't wearing any pants at the time, so I wouldn't consider it exactly a neutral situation.

Polo shirts you always button from the bottom up, and you never actually button the top button unless it's for work and even then it's not that common. They're like the opposite of sport coats/blazers/suit jackets (and, IIRC, waistcoats) where the bottom button is never actually buttoned, though in some cases that bottom button has just been removed from the design... XD

Also regular coats and jackets too... I think I button from the bottom up with those most of the time because the part that I have to spend the most energy lining up is the bottom anyway and it helps close up the jacket/coat so I can get it on without having to fight the bulk as much after getting that first button buttoned.

That definitely has a lot more room for variation. XD And there's so many ways to do it and some that are in competition for fastest stripping and others that are competing for most seductive/sexiest...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Bottom to top. Going top down seems like it would be kinda weird.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Are you sure she was batting her eyelashes at you to do this and not to get you to kiss de girl?
    Oh no, that subject has been broached before, and I'm firmly in the friend zone. Don't weep for me, though; I'd have expired from excessive nagging otherwise. :p
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-09-27 at 09:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Is this a Country Based thing? I'm U.S but I button from the bottom up.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

From left to right, unless married filing jointly, or there are fewer than two outs with men on base. Then from the inside to the outside.

Some questions deserve thoughtful, sincere answers. But other questions absolutely beg for surrealism.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am going to say that I button up shirts really weird, and it entirely depends on the kind of shirts.

With actual button shirts with small buttons, I start from the second to bottom button, then button upwards, only buttoning every third button. Then, after reaching the top, I randomly fill in the rest, leaving the very bottom button for last nearly every time (even after the collar button, which I sometimes fill in second-to-last).

With shirt-things that have snaps instead of buttons, I start from the top and go down.

With buttoned shirts that have large buttons, I start around the third from the bottom and then I button together whichever ones seem to line up first.

If it has a zipper and buttons, though, I just start from the bottom and zip it up and ignore half the buttons.

If it's the kind of shirt that only has two or three buttons on it, I start at the bottom always.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2014-09-26 at 11:44 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Pick a spot that seems to have the button and hole match and start buttoning, then get annoyed when the buttons don't line up and wonder why people bother with buttoned shirts to begin with when t-shirts are easier and more comfortable. Then I generally curse whoever thought fashion was a good idea. The bugger.

After that lengthy process, I generally just pick a side to re-align everything on a whim. Sometimes top sometimes bottom. I don't think there is a specific "American Way" to button shirts.
    Pretty much this.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.