New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Spells you're surprised don't exist

Quote Originally Posted by nimmo0110 View Post
    as for do math u are a wizard some one who can reshape the world with but a word and you can't do your own maths?
    Who says we have to be a wizard? We could be some Cleric or Sorcerer who skipped algebra.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

Male

Fusion+Astral Seed can hybridize critters.

That just means "a psion did it."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Sounds hilarious, well for a slapstick Wizard anyway.

Actually, why aren't there more Practical Joke cantrips ?
    Prestidigitation, my friend. Once saw a player turn a glass of wine into vinegar while a noble had his back turned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wrong sub-forum. If I wanted to move a 2E spell across it would be Inverted Ethics; best Magical Trap ever.

Basically if you fail the save you behave in the opposite manner to which you intended: Rogue breaks into a vault, trips the trap, fails the save — instead of taking the loot, he leaves some of his own behind.
    If I was going to port one over it would be Sands of Time from Dark Sun. It can either return entire cities to existence, or it can erode them out of it.

I have always been upset that there is no Summon Undead IX with a horde of 100 skeleton archers option.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    If I was going to port one over it would be Sands of Time from Dark Sun. It can either return entire cities to existence, or it can erode them out of it.

I have always been upset that there is no Summon Undead IX with a horde of 100 skeleton archers option.
    That's probably why. It would be awesome, though.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Animate legion, Heroes of Battle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrong sub-forum. If I wanted to move a 2E spell across it would be Inverted Ethics; best Magical Trap ever.
    The point is that many, of these 'non-existant' spells did exist in previous edition. Math spells, look at "The Republic of Darokin", which had stuff like that, including my favorite[, I]Embezzle[/I]. Time keeping spells and items, Chronomancer. Detect Curse had three different variants, all lvl 3. Seek Teleporter for BECMI and Teleport Tracer from Book of Eldritch Might - both are 6th. Tracking is lvl 2 Druid spell that allows you to follow psychic impressions of people up to 2 days old /level. Transferring magical properties from one item to another is Dweomerflow. Allows you to transfer charges from one source to another - combine charges on Wands of Fireball, for instance. Holy Vesting can take anything from non-artifacts and transfer. Poison spells, too many to bother counting - Venom Bite, Venom Bolt, Vile Venom, Poison Touch, Poisonstar, Venomdust and several more with less obvious names.
    You get the idea.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sounds hilarious, well for a slapstick Wizard anyway.

Actually, why aren't there more Practical Joke cantrips ?
    Heh, how's this?

"Fleas, Level 0 Illusion spell
    The subject must make a wisdom saving throw, if it fails, subject experiences the sensation of being massively infested with minuscule biting insects, -2 to concentration checks."

In a similar vein, you could make someone colorblind, or cause them to make donkey noises during speech, or cause the skin on their feet to develop the sense of taste.

Ooh, or how about of a variant of Thunderhead? Instead of 1 lightning damage a turn, the cloud just rains on the subject.

The possibilities are endless
    Last edited by Daishain; 2014-09-27 at 12:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Animate legion, Heroes of Battle.
    The hit dice are capped at twice your CL though. I would prefer 10X, seeing as how skeletons and zombies are terrible in combat.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

The hit dice are capped at twice your CL though. I would prefer 10X, seeing as how skeletons and zombies are terrible in combat.
    It may sound cool on paper but i'd rather not have spells like that in the game. Combat is already tedious enough with a party of more than 4-5. I'd rather not try it with the number of participants being in the triple digits.

Edit: There are also several ways to increase your control cap. If twice your CL isn't enough for you, invest in it. No reason to give casters everything for free.
    Last edited by sleepyphoenixx; 2014-09-27 at 12:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    It may sound cool on paper but i'd rather not have spells like that in the game. Combat is already tedious enough with a party of more than 4-5. I'd rather not try it with the number of participants being in the triple digits.

Edit: There are also several ways to increase your control cap. If twice your CL isn't enough for you, invest in it. No reason to give casters everything for free.
    Give them the mob or volley rules then. It doesn't need to be so much hundreds of undead so much as fulfill the trope. And they have lots of better things for free, this won't make them stronger.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you can swing the extra level, make it a war spell from a Dragon magazine. It will multiply the effects by 25, IIRC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

I hate when we get a big, massive of coinage that, even with extradimensional spaces, is still an unwieldy sum. Which is why I want a spell called 'change maker', that converts coin to their equivalent in other currency. 1000 copper become 1 platinum, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I hate when we get a big, massive of coinage that, even with extradimensional spaces, is still an unwieldy sum. Which is why I want a spell called 'change maker', that converts coin to their equivalent in other currency. 1000 copper become 1 platinum, for example.
    Just trade it in for diamonds.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

I was just thinking of something to summon inexpensive items of convenience and my first thought was a 1st level spell that could summon about 5 gp worth of basic equipment (no food). Then I thought of something cooler. What about summoning a little goblin merchant? Picture this...

A little guy appears with a big backpack. The little guy's quite encumbered. You have x amount of rounds to do business with him (they're very busy!). The remnants of the portal he arrived through twinkle behind him. As soon as he shows up, he flips over an hour glass. He'll even convert currencies over though he has a limited amount and he might want a small fee for it. There's a limit on how much he can carry so figure there some certain percentage chance that he has what you want except for really common items which he always has (flint and steel, whetstone, oil, torches, etc.) He might even have some gems you can buy to help lighten your load of coinage. He might drive a hard bargain and there's certainly a "convenience fee"--his prices are all a bit upcharged, but he generally won't screw you over because they have a reputation to maintain.

I'm thinking like a 3rd level spell. It gets cast a lot in the middle of dungeons or out in the wilderness.

If you try to steal from him, he and all his belongings can teleport back from whence he came as an immediate action... but he'll probably toss a alchemist bomb up in the air right before he does.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-09-27 at 01:36 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Picture this...

A little guy appears with a big backpack. The little guy's quite encumbered. You have x amount of rounds to do business with him (they're very busy!). The remnants of the portal he arrived through twinkle behind him. As soon as he shows up, he flips over an hour glass. He'll even convert currencies over though he has a limited amount and he might want a small fee for it. There's a limit on how much he can carry so figure there some certain percentage chance that he has what you want except for really common items which he always has (flint and steel, whetstone, oil, torches, etc.) He might even have some gems you can buy to help lighten your load of coinage. He might drive a hard bargain and there's certainly a "convenience fee"--his prices are all a bit upcharged, but he generally won't screw you over because they have a reputation to maintain.
    Picture your player immediately shouting "KILL THE GOBLIN AND TAKE HIS STUFF WHILE HE'S FLAT-FOOTED*, WE'LL BE RICH! ROLL INITIATIVE!!!".

*Flat-footed characters (i.e. those whose turn hasn't yet come up in combat) can't make AoOs or take Immediate actions.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-09-27 at 01:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Picture your player immediately shouting "KILL THE GOBLIN AND TAKE HIS STUFF WHILE HE'S FLAT-FOOTED*, WE'LL BE RICH! ROLL INITIATIVE!!!".
    Fluff it however you need that he's not. I picture some little goblin warehouse. A summoning comes in. It's like a phone call. Takes a few rounds sometimes but someone answers it. (Don't try to cast in the middle of combat) They can peek through the "portal" and see what's going on before he shows up to watch out for shenanigans. He steps through with awareness and has already taken an action to get there. It's a business. They've set up the basic magics but your spell powers the actual trip. It's one-way there and one-way back and, other than coinage, nothing can come back through that didn't already pass through the portal. There's also a security guy or two watching. Pull any shenanigans and a goblin SWAT team shows up sometime in your near future when you're not expecting it, probably during the party's next camp.

Wasn't something like this added to World of Warcraft? I seem to recall hearing something about it. If not, that's another place I'm surprised this spell doesn't exist at.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-09-27 at 01:52 PM.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

keep it around long enough to be useful for just about anything other than a single combat.
    You hit the nail on the head. Spells that don't exist? Anything that doesn't involve breaking into to houses, killing the occupants, and taking their stuff.

There is one spell - Plant Growth - that, as a secondary note, tosses out a little-used alternative effect that completely changes the economy of the world.

How about: Remove Pain. Remove Pregnancy. Improve Fertility. Detect Forgery.

And of course, Get High. Given how much effort people spend on getting wasted, why isn't there a magical way to do it without hangovers, health effects, or addiction?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

A cantrip that lets you create very elaborate illusions that fool all the senses, but only the caster can perceive them. I figure casters need a way to practice making convincing illusions and this is how they would do it. Also, it would be a cool way to enjoy some good food without getting fat.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Spells that don't exist? Anything that doesn't involve breaking into to houses, killing the occupants, and taking their stuff.

There is one spell - Plant Growth - that, as a secondary note, tosses out a little-used alternative effect that completely changes the economy of the world.

How about: Remove Pain. Remove Pregnancy. Improve Fertility. Detect Forgery.

And of course, Get High. Given how much effort people spend on getting wasted, why isn't there a magical way to do it without hangovers, health effects, or addiction?
    while that's true about plant growth, the dnd economy is much more borked due to wall of iron, genesis, fabricate, etc. I don't think that crops could really be used as much of a trade good due to how easy it is to make as much of them as you like via create food and water traps and other stuff.

ease pain exists. if you can convince your DM pregnancy is a disease, that might work. there's always iron heart surge for ending "unwanted effects," which pregnancy definitely qualifies for.

my googlefu is failing me, but I distinctly remember talking about magic contraceptive tea on this forum. I think it was in one of the old 3.0 books. it only works for males and will suppress your ability to conceive for some amount of hours or days and if you fail a lowish fort save, make you permanently infertile. bestow curse can also make a target infertile.

any of the honesty spells (zone of truth, etc) will help with forgery, same as guidance of the avatar or similar.

if bovd's drugs aren't your bag, just go with false sensory input and simulate the recreational substance of your preference

A cantrip that lets you create very elaborate illusions that fool all the senses, but only the caster can perceive them. I figure casters need a way to practice making convincing illusions and this is how they would do it. Also, it would be a cool way to enjoy some good food without getting fat.
    false sensory input :]
    Last edited by Venger; 2014-09-28 at 07:45 AM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    false sensory input :]
    I can find references to a psionic power of that name but I don't have access to the psionic handbook. If so 1) Not a spell. 2) Probably completely misses the point. I'm guessing from this (all I can find) it's an offensive power which this is not meant to be. There are high level illusion spells that can fool multiple senses. I'm talking about a fairly trivial spell of convenience that's completely useless in combat because it is self-only, and thus can be a fairly common resource to wizards that doesn't require taking separate class levels for.

My PCs have happened upon a number of magic items of convenience. Among them are magical towels for cleaning and drying things, a medallion you keep in your back pocket that summons a chair when you sit down, and rings of infertility. The party bard is loving the ring. They're also about to happen upon a magic chamber pot. Small non-living objects placed inside vanish. What the users haven't realized thus far is the way they disappear is by being teleported 100 ft in a random direction. Random pieces of a dead body have been found around a certain section of town and the PCs tracked to the center of the circle and ended up in the thieves guild.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-09-28 at 09:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

MindFlayer

'Greater Permanency'

Makes anything permanent.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    'Greater Permanency'

Makes anything permanent.
    Target: One moment, feeling, night, or relationship which the caster knows in his heart will have to end someday.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Target: One moment, feeling, night, or relationship which the caster knows in his heart will have to end someday.
    Our marriage lasted 30 years, until that one sorcerer used Disjunction...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    Some sort of Lock-On system for ranged spells and attacks.
    Targeting Ray. Spell compendium page 219. Lasts rounds/level, and provides a +1 insight bonus per three caster levels to ranged attacks from all of your allies (incl. yourself) who can see the ray. Continues even if you personally lose LOS to the target. Sound about right for what you want?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little surprised there isn't a spell that makes the next spell you cast friendly (in other words, targeting enemies only and not allies). Kind of like Sculpt Spell, but costing a spell slot and an action rather than a feat slot and a level increase.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I'm a little surprised there isn't a spell that makes the next spell you cast friendly (in other words, targeting enemies only and not allies). Kind of like Sculpt Spell, but costing a spell slot and an action rather than a feat slot and a level increase.
    When metamagic was introduced in 2E it was as a series of spells, though certain spells such as Extension had been around a lot longer. We tried this approach and it didn't really work since you had to cast two spells to get a small improvement. One of the design decisions early in 3E was to make a metamagic system using feats — so you tend not to see such spells.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Complete Arcane or Mage does have the spell guard rings, but that's still not a spell in and of itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I can find references to a psionic power of that name but I don't have access to the psionic handbook. If so 1) Not a spell. 2) Probably completely misses the point. I'm guessing from this (all I can find) it's an offensive power which this is not meant to be. There are high level illusion spells that can fool multiple senses. I'm talking about a fairly trivial spell of convenience that's completely useless in combat because it is self-only, and thus can be a fairly common resource to wizards that doesn't require taking separate class levels for.
    XPH is core

false sensory input lets you fool your senses and change one sensation to another, so is basically only really useful for getting high in the first place. psibond agent can use this as a su.

it doesn't exist in exactly the way you want, my point was that an effect like what you described (tasting good food and not getting fat, getting high, etc) already did exist

the extraordinary spell aim feat basically does this.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    It's not quite the same, but there are a series of Dragon Magz feats, [body part] of the Mage, that grants some interesting, if pretty not great, stuff. One of them is, I think, Ears of the Mage, which allows you to hear your name whenever anyone on the same planet/plane (not quite sure, but it was big) speaks it, plus a few other small benefits. Sadly, like many feats, great idea, sub-par execution. Still, might be interesting if you are making a pc/npc with that as a gimmick.
    Any idea on what issue that was in?