New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Furries in the playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemonde View Post
    No statistics have ever been collected on that to my knowledge. At least, not unbiased ones collected by actual furries rather than just people taking psychology classes who need a quick and easy project.

It all kind of depends on the individual, which is the general case.
    That's a good answer. People are much to afraid of saying "I don't know". Thank you.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Anecdotally, I've both been interested in furry stuff and tried out being a vegetarian for a year or two? But I see no particular pattern connecting the two in my associates.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

No statistics have ever been collected on that to my knowledge. At least, not unbiased ones collected by actual furries rather than just people taking psychology classes who need a quick and easy project.

It all kind of depends on the individual, which is the general case.
    Actually, if we are to avoid bias, we need a researcher which is completely indifferent toward the entire concept of "furry" and all that is included in it. People conducting research on the same group as they consider themselves members of are always running the risk of positive bias.

That said, I wouldn't be suprised if there actually is a correlation between being vegetarian and a furry, but even then, I think they wouldn't as much be dependent on one another as other psychological (or possibly sociological) factors.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    So... are furries more likely than non-furries to be vegans or vegetarians? Or less likely? Or does that depend on what animal you feel an affinity for? Is this a field where generalizations can be made? And I hope you don't feel crowded out in your own thread.
    You know what few furry communities I've been part of, this is the first place I've come across where "people who consider themselves to be or have an affinity with x" was the dominant definition. Of course the only two I ever had much participation in were Yerf, and Weasyl one of which is long dead, and the other of which is fairly new, and only grows when folks jump ship from furraffinity.

It's only personal experience, but I'm really hard pressed to believe that furries in general are more likely to be vegan or vegetarian than anyone else. There's too much variety in the sorts of folks who get involved in the furry community overal. I for example don't consider myself to be an animal (although I often use a fox as my avatar, and I think foxes are quite cool, I do not however consider myself to be a fox). I like to draw anthros, and prefer media that have more animal-like characters, and I enjoy learning about and working with animals. And that's what makes me a furry.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, just because I forgot to mention this relevant detail, being a goat means being relatively vegetarian. I've been served meat (like chicken and beef*) my whole life and it's not something I can or even want to try to cut completely out of my diet (that'd be nigh impossible for me in my current situation), but the idea of eating deer, lamb and goat meat will legitimately make me feel sick to my stomach and put me in a cold sweat. Even seeing other people do it. I can't handle it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It feels like cannibalism, almost.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see myself as otherkin, really, but I do identify as a goat-person-lady-thing. Think in the baphometic sense (basically just an anthropomorphic goat minus the direct link to "actual goats"), only not the sum of the multiverse.

And no, the above isn't an invitation to make jokes about venison or chevon or whatever. I've had to deal with that enough already.

*I don't know why beef doesn't make me feel gross. Cows and goats/sheep are pretty different, I guess would be the main reason.
    vape naesh

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Jaycemonde, if it's any consolation, it makes sense to me.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I can see that. Don't goats eat almost anything anyway? Or is that slander and stereotyping?

Ohh, a wiki. Does anyone know if it's any good?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, just because I forgot to mention this relevant detail, being a goat means being relatively vegetarian. I've been served meat (like chicken and beef*) my whole life and it's not something I can or even want to try to cut completely out of my diet (that'd be nigh impossible for me in my current situation), but the idea of eating deer, lamb and goat meat will legitimately make me feel sick to my stomach and put me in a cold sweat. Even seeing other people do it. I can't handle it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It feels like cannibalism, almost.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see myself as otherkin, really, but I do identify as a goat-person-lady-thing. Think in the baphometic sense (basically just an anthropomorphic goat minus the direct link to "actual goats"), only not the sum of the multiverse.

And no, the above isn't an invitation to make jokes about venison or chevon or whatever. I've had to deal with that enough already.

*I don't know why beef doesn't make me feel gross. Cows and goats/sheep are pretty different, I guess would be the main reason.
    Such jokes would be insensitive and uncalled for if you ask me.

Yeah, I can see that. Don't goats eat almost anything anyway? Or is that slander and stereotyping?

Homework. Clothes... But goats are cool, so you have to forgive them.

I've come across that wiki a couple of times and haven't seen anything too bad. I can't say I've read much of it though.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

9. - Top - End - #129

WikiFur is bullcrap. It's run by like four people, tops, and they don't take kindly to their personal ships and headcanons (that's the best way I can describe the **** I see there) about other artists and other peoples' characters being corrected, especially by said artists or character owners. They IP banned Squeedgemonster when she corrected an entry about her own character so that it read "Kaiju" instead of "purple T-Rex".

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Such jokes would be insensitive and uncalled for if you ask me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup. People seem to get off to being edgy and needling me (and other "prey" character owners/artists) about it when we dare show offense. One time somebody actually said that there wasn't any way I could even try identifying the way I do because (on top of irrelevant political crap that supposedly invalidated my gender issues) I can't eat literally anything, and goats supposedly can and do.
    Of course, it turns out that goats are actually very picky eaters. They just like to try everything. I like trying new things. Just not by putting them in my mouth. But hey, as long as nobody nitpicks wolfaboos joking about eating other people, all's good, right?

I kinda got ranty there.
    Last edited by Jaycemonde; 2014-10-22 at 02:49 PM.
    vape naesh

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

On the subject of vegetarianism - Nope. But that's probably because I identify as predator. I also have some apparently-disturbing views on the acceptability off eating babies. Life lives at the expense of life. And fried chicken is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Homework. Clothes... But goats are cool, so you have to forgive them.
    Bleached wood pulp and dense plant fibers. Yup. Goats love that stuff. They also love poison ivy. They're great for clearing overgrown fields and pastures, as long as there's no Poison Hemlock.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

As opposed to non poison hemlock? Is that a thing?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Wikipedia lists several definitions of Hemlock, some of which are poisonous but others which are not. So it is a thing, but only if you are - like me - a nitpicker.

― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

I am...complicated. I go through days with nothing but a handful of veggies, then other days(like today) I have nothing but veggies(with a few slivers of fish). I blame the composite soul(s).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

14. - Top - End - #134

A moment of silence for all the fursuiters out there who are going to wind up needing to steam clean their 'suits thanks to grabby kids (and adults) with greasy hands this Hallowe'en.
    vape naesh

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm jumping in as a fellow forumite and furry. Mostly for the subscription. How are y'all?

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post
    I'm jumping in as a fellow forumite and furry. Mostly for the subscription. How are y'all?
    I'm fine! How are you? Haven't seen you in a long while.
    vape naesh

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

Och, aye. Gonna be a gross night for some...

Hi Karyn!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

I am surviving, as always. Still homeless, but that's old news.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

A moment of silence for all the fursuiters out there who are going to wind up needing to steam clean their 'suits thanks to grabby kids (and adults) with greasy hands this Hallowe'en.
    Do we wanna talk about how much is sad/depressing/unsensitive, when your way of life and dressing, are viewed by other people, as "hey, this would be cool at halloween / carnival"?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Do we wanna talk about how much is sad/depressing/unsensitive, when your way of life and dressing, are viewed by other people, as "hey, this would be cool at halloween / carnival"?
    I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, a furry music thing for people to check out: Jigoku / Silence II. It's really haunting. And a bit gross or scary at times. That sudden WRRRRRVWRRRRRRvRRRRRRRV stab.
    vape naesh

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I have no idea what that means.
    I'll try to elaborate. Let's imagine that i see your furry suit, and i say something ala "cool! it was your costume for Mardi Gras, right?"
    Only, it's not a funny costume, it's an important part of your life, and I'm dismitting it as a folcloristic and not serious dress.

It happened something similar to me... not with a furry suit, but with something else, that to me was important and was treated as a joke.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #142

I'll try to elaborate. Let's imagine that i see your furry suit, and i say something ala "cool! it was your costume for Mardi Gras, right?"
    Only, it's not a funny costume, it's an important part of your life, and I'm dismitting it as a folcloristic and not serious dress.
    I appreciate your respect in the matter, but you're implying that all furries own fursuits, and furthermore that we all see those suits as some kind of important formal wear or integral part to our daily lives. Only a few people wear them every single day, because that gets really expensive and they're hard to keep clean and in good repair. Most furries don't even own suits because the only times they'd be able to use them would be at conventions, and that doesn't justify the rough $800 price tag.

That being said, yeah. The very cost alone and the fact they represent personal characters makes them pretty important to the people that own them, even if they only wear them once or twice a year. So while somebody asking "is that your Halloween costume?" isn't a big deal, when people start touching the suits and **** it gets really unpleasant for everybody. Especially in the infamous "Furry fights back and beats up drunk man" YT vid incidents.
    vape naesh

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

It happened something similar to me... not with a furry suit, but with something else, that to me was important and was treated as a joke.
    The important thing to remember at these times is that they're right. Life itself is a great big joke. Those that aren't in on it and can't laugh at it are the punchline.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

... Fursuits are not something that can be considered cultural appropriation...

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Earlier in this thread, I tried to post a video of one of my favorite fursuiting moments. I was videotaping my friends Digeri Dingo and Corn Husky as they went for a romp at the local Farmer's Market. Here is a sweet little video of Corn Husky dancing with one of the kids there. Apparently Corn and Digeri do this every Memorial Day weekend and are quite the hit with the regulars at the market.

I've adjusted the privacy settings so that others can see it. I hope it works this time!
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post
    I am surviving, as always. Still homeless, but that's old news.
    Oh my. That's news to me, actually. I hope you still have your good job? I remember that provided some measure of boarding.

I get the idea, but I think furries are well enough aware is their minority status that it isn't quite seen in that light. Although I just had that discussion with someone about fetishes, so who knows? Perhaps for some this is a big issue and it's worth discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    The important thing to remember at these times is that they're right. Life itself is a great big joke. Those that aren't in on it and can't laugh at it are the punchline.
    And yet this is not carte Blanche to hide behind ridiculousness. Some things are worth taking seriously, by perspective or situation. Life as a joke is no excuse take nothing seriously.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    ... Fursuits are not something that can be considered cultural appropriation...
    You're right. They can't be considered cultural appropriation. Nobody said that at any point. Moving on.

Life itself is a great big joke. Those that aren't in on it and can't laugh at it are the punchline.
    gonna laugh like every joke's my best i'm gonna be the one to come out laughing(that's more furry music! Not gonna comment on the actual notion itself, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    Earlier in this thread, I tried to post a video of one of my favorite fursuiting moments. I was videotaping my friends Digeri Dingo and Corn Husky as they went for a romp at the local Farmer's Market. Here is a sweet little video of Corn Husky dancing with one of the kids there. Apparently Corn and Digeri do this every Memorial Day weekend and are quite the hit with the regulars at the market.
    That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Perhaps for some this is a big issue and it's worth discussing.
    I think it's much preferable to not get into a huge debate with people who can't relate about just how important an issue may or may not be.
    Last edited by Jaycemonde; 2014-11-10 at 10:18 PM.
    vape naesh

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, it's exactly what Killer Angel was saying
    But, yes, moving on

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    And yet this is not carte Blanche to hide behind ridiculousness. Some things are worth taking seriously, by perspective or situation. Life as a joke is no excuse take nothing seriously.
    Actually, it very much is!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Actually, it very much is!
    Then I'm sorry, and I hope you've adapted well.