New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: Furries in the playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I want the real me from me, not some stupid me that made poor decisions or whatever.
    I have some bad news for you about the human condition...

More seriously, I completely understand. I think it's important to separate our idea of "phases" – an implicitly static adult construct, looking back at growth and rationalizing it all as not real – from, well, growth.

Much as my baby girl needs more iron and less calcium and more milk and certain vitamins that I don't, much as when she hits puberty her iron needs will skyrocket and her calcium and protein needs will change to accommodate hormone shifts, we all have spiritual needs which change as we grow. There isn't – or, there should not be – any shame in going throw a period of growth where what your mind and self needs right now to survive is not something your mind and soul will need later.

It's why I'm not as bitter as I could be. I needed to grow up as a boy. If I didn't have that safety net of male privilege I would be a much worse person, because I would have been shaped by pretty craptacular social forces. (Quick fist pump over my phone recognizing craptacular! Yes!) It's possible that the need for femininity is a legitimate one, that will only be considered "temporary" or a "phase" in hindsight. Perhaps you just need balance? Much like a career change, you need to stop your old job and learn the new one completely before you start combining them, one would need to fully immerse in femininity (or fur!) before being able to really make the decision that it's not a permanent thing.

Plus, there is always that it could be a permanent thing, and it sucks to hold off on something just because maybe you won't like it later. It being a growth phase is likely the least possible option. :)

but thats a complete aside. the idea of a....catfolk werewolf is just weird to me, because while a human werewolf somehow makes sense, a catfolk werewolf is just one furry turning into a different furry, y'know?
    Well, lycanthropy is a sort of violation of the self; the idea that the preened and civilized veneer falls away because man is a savage and that animal is repressed and dark and everything bad about his visceral nature; rape, murder, savagery.

A cat folk wouldn't have that same association. So this would be a cat changing to a dog; changing to a dog that's too brutal, too wild to just say "well it's only a dog" about. Would this e a cat folk devolving into savagery? A cat folk changing tribes? Maybe this is less like a tale of werewolves and more an exploratory fiction like when there's a movie about a guy who wakes up gay or wakes up female and has to learn that his conceptions were all wrong? A cat folk waking up after a lupine bender has a lot to sort through.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    No worries. For me at least, you did not come across as justifying it. Simply explaining why it happens. I was more aiming that at the comments implying that it is a "furry" thing when it isn't (by showing that it isn't a furry thing. Comic cons, gaming cons and even scout "cons" are places where you can suddenly find yourself being touched on by some stranger), and who made it seem like a joke (by throwing out random smileys and lols). Personal barriers aren't something to laugh about.
    Indeed. I missed a lot, I suppose; everything was scrubbed by the time I got here. <_<

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    Furoticon? :D Isn't it like... naughty version of Magic?
    Basically. They've got some mechanical wrinkles to it to make it slower and more stratigic, though.
    They have a split resource system- to use magic terms, colored mana cannot be spent on colorless costs, and you have 10 colorless per turn, plus any you get from colorless-lands. Drawing a card costs 5 colorless. (and if you have the resources, you can do this multiple times in a single turn) Attacking costs a colorless per creature. Defending requires having a colorless in reserve per creature. having an untap step (for non lands- lands produce regardless) costs a colorless. The "combat" mechanics are also different enough to make a new game out of it- persistant damage, and a creatures attack power varies with the color of the receving creature.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Just stumbled on this thread. I find character design to be more diverse and interesting if animal traits (or full on anthropomorphic animals) are used, whether it's expressive floofy (or not floofy) tails, wacky flexy ears or that weird thing that a cockatoo does with their head-feathers. I also often pick lizardfolk/dragonish races for characters in rpg games.

So that makes me whatever I am.

Anyway, neat content to browse through here. I really liked that fursuiting story told by atreyu the llama.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I think myriad song has been mentioned before (and it's gorgeously named!), or I've seen it recently, but ironclaw is new. And the green wizard on the left looks like an expie of my 30-year wizard self insert
    Ironclaw related... I'm going to leave this here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...w&goto=newpost

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

Dang. My budget for hobby items right now is literally in the negatives – I used bill money for a book recently and am working it off >_<

Upside, recent events mean I'm more likely to be able to pull off the griffon cosplay I was idly designing at one point...

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not really an all-out furry, but I like furries and if I were an all-out furry, I'd be an anthro fox.