New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Saga Edition KOTOR Build

I hope I got this to the right place for asking on game help.
    This will be my first time playing the Saga edition so I might need a helping hand to make a workable build and try to find my own niche. You see, we will be playing a KOTOR setting game with all the benefits and limitations that brings.
    The Books available are Core, KOTOR Guide and Jedi Academy, others can be used but will have to be checked item for item with GM.

We will be starting at level 5 with 25 point buy and the 2 for level 4. Starting Credits for class unless you have the Talent Wealthy or such.
    The party atm is a Pure Melee Damage Wookie, a Skill orientated Human Nobel, and a Sneaky Scout Red Panda (kind of a Guardians of the Galaxy thing), and the last might go pure Jedi.
    We will have our 5th level be Jedi so that we are at a Jedi enclave for the campaign (it practices a balance of light and dark sides of the force). We also will get both Proficiency Lightsaber and Force Sensitive if we haven't got them by level 5. There will likely be no Space Combat but the team will have a millennium falcon type ship for the sake of A to B.

The main characteristics I want out of my character is good Use the Force with Telekinetic and Energy Powers, along with good travelling capabilities (considering getting a jet-pack and grappling hook, maybe a speeder at a stretch). I have spent 24 points, Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16. The main things I am struggling to do is make a good Force User who won’t be crippled by lack of ranged capacity, getting into 12 squares range is going to be problematic quickly when people fire rifles and grenade area damage.

Anyone got some good tips to keep in mind with building a character?

Thanks for the help

Edit - The last character is going for a equal in both parts Jedi. So Pretty much all roles are covered in some capacity.
    Last edited by NooDM; 2014-09-29 at 06:49 AM. Reason: A detail was found out from GM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Saga Edition KOTOR Build

A good swoop or speeder bike is all you need for mobility purposes if you can get the maneuvering room for a Large vehicle (if you can't, other mobility devices aren't going to help much, either), though you're being given a lot less starting funds than what should be normal for a character starting at level 5 (Level*(Level-1)*2000 is the norm, as a loose guideline).

For a Force "Mage," the only feats you need to concern yourself with immediately are Skill Focus: Use the Force and Force Training. Also note that several of the "attack" Force Powers have the [Dark Side] trait (and using the Force directly to attack is called out as one of the things that could be worthy of a Dark Side Point), so be careful of falling.

You shouldn't be concerned with grenades out-ranging you, since they're thrown weapons, and thus cap out at 12 squares like your longer-ranged powers. Blasters (and grenade launchers) are more of an issue, but unless you start speccing into blasters, there's really nothing you (or really any of your allies) can do about it other than investing in Deflect.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2014-09-26 at 05:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well I was considering dipping into Scout for the sake of having some stealth to avoid some conflict, get a range weapon and top it off with evasion to cut down that damage from the autofire. The system seems to make dips more of a possibility.

I could also use the Discblade but that would eat up a swift action a round. Probably not good even with cover...

And turns out level 1 money x 2 unless my character has reason for more money. Well might need to make that dip into noble instead. Persuasion here I come :D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would not recommend the discblade as a sidearm. Until you invest heavily into it, it's an exotic weapon that has thrown range and 2d8 damage, its only advantage over a blaster pistol is that enemy Jedi can't bounce the blade back to you with Redirect Shot (but they can intercept it with the Intercept power). With investment... it's a 2d8 weapon with pistol range and can bounce off of targets if you use a full-round action to throw the thing (after you've spent a feat and at least 2 talents on it, 3 if you want to return the blade to you as a free action as well).

TL;DR: It's terrible as a weapon, though Discblade Arc is a neat trick.

It's also the signature weapon of a particular Force tradition (from ~2000 BBY, which means that depending on when in the KotOR era you're playing, the tradition may not exist), and not something most Jedi initiates would ever encounter.

You don't have your stats set up to really use any weapon at all, other than a lightsaber for the Block and Deflect talents. Enemies that attack you with rifles or heavy weapons from outside your ability to immediately engage are not enemies that a pistol is going to fix without investment... investment that takes away from your efforts to become a Force wizard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by NooDM View Post
    I hope I got this to the right place for asking on game help.
    This will be my first time playing the Saga edition so I might need a helping hand to make a workable build and try to find my own niche. You see, we will be playing a KOTOR setting game with all the benefits and limitations that brings.
    The Books available are Core, KOTOR Guide and Jedi Academy, others can be used but will have to be checked item for item with GM.

We will be starting at level 5 with 25 point buy and the 2 for level 4. Starting Credits for class unless you have the Talent Wealthy or such.
    The party atm is a Pure Melee Damage Wookie, a Skill orientated Human Nobel, and a Sneaky Scout Red Panda (kind of a Guardians of the Galaxy thing), and the last might go pure Jedi.
    We will have our 5th level be Jedi so that we are at a Jedi enclave for the campaign (it practices a balance of light and dark sides of the force). We also will get both Proficiency Lightsaber and Force Sensitive if we haven't got them by level 5. There will likely be no Space Combat but the team will have a millennium falcon type ship for the sake of A to B.

The main characteristics I want out of my character is good Use the Force with Telekinetic and Energy Powers, along with good travelling capabilities (considering getting a jet-pack and grappling hook, maybe a speeder at a stretch). I have spent 24 points, Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16. The main things I am struggling to do is make a good Force User who won’t be crippled by lack of ranged capacity, getting into 12 squares range is going to be problematic quickly when people fire rifles and grenade area damage.

Anyone got some good tips to keep in mind with building a character?

Thanks for the help
    As for species suggestions to further boost your force dependent abilities you might consider Ithorian or Yarkora work fairly decently you get bellow with the ithorian as something to fall back on if you really have to, since you have access to Kotor Miraluka if you want a free force training when you get use the force skill, though they neither boost wis or cha .
    You may want to ask your gm if he would allow force talents from Force Unleashed mostly for TK prodigy, since you mentioned wanting to focus on telekinetic powers. Actually I think I remember a link for a Force wizard build.

A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Turns out with Lightsaber throw talent I can do pretty much the same damage to 1 target. The other use of Discblade probably isn't worth the full round action required. I will have to take the Blaster just in case combat is distant and stealth up closer. Could up the Dex with the 3 points remaining. And Negate energy looks useful when that shot comes back.
    Thanks Mando Knight for these build considerations I will need to make.

Looking at Move Object and some other powers, some say within 6 squares or line of sight, does that mean so long as I can perceive the target I could move it 6 squares? And what sort of situation covers within 6 squares that I can't perceive?
    It gives me some ideas on awesome utility along with some stealth skill.

You know, I like the idea so much I might make the character have a Miraluka parent for backstory. I Will check with my GM. Thanks Fumble Jack

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Errata updated the target to within 12 squares and in line of sight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NooDM View Post
    Well I was considering dipping into Scout for the sake of having some stealth to avoid some conflict, get a range weapon and top it off with evasion to cut down that damage from the autofire. The system seems to make dips more of a possibility.

I could also use the Discblade but that would eat up a swift action a round. Probably not good even with cover...

And turns out level 1 money x 2 unless my character has reason for more money. Well might need to make that dip into noble instead. Persuasion here I come :D
    You've got 5 levels to play with, don't "dip" Scout if you want those things, start Scout. Or Noble. Either of those will net you a solid batch of skills as well as Talents, which will also mean no need to waste Talents on things that substitute for Use the Force.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You mentioned an academy was involved that teaches a mix of light and dark sides of the Force. Maybe you can get the Many Shades of the Force talent, so you can get at least one raw Dark Side offensive power without risk.