New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Can I make a thread about this?

So i'm making an indie game that I one day plan to release commercially.

I just wanted to clarify if making a sort of dev-blog thread about its development would be forums-legal, because I honestly do not know if this sort of thing would be considered advertising or not. In this I plan on posting updates, screenshots, and even posting links to demo versions of the game for the purposes of testing and soliciting feedback, and probably even running a Steam Greenlight campaign.

So...yay or nay?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Can I make a thread about this?

That sounds very similar to my question about almost the same thing. My understanding of the answer I got is essentially as long as you are not yet actually selling it then it's fine.

I'm not sure what the policy might be for the eventual transition from "demos and feedback" to "I'm selling it now", though. At that point, I think you'd be safe responding to other people if there's public interest in the game, and posting factual "a new update is out" notices to an existing and active thread might be ok, but be very very careful about anything even close to unsolicited encouragement to buy it, and definitely don't post a new thread about it.

If and when I get to the commercial release stage of my project, I'm thinking I'll buy some Project Wonderful ad time but drop my related forum participation down to strictly reactive posts and (assuming an active discussion thread) "There's a new version, see patch notes at link."
    Last edited by Douglas; 2014-09-26 at 08:29 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

*clicks link*

Yeah that sounds fair. I have no plans to solicit hiring. I want to wait for the word from a mod/admin before I do anything though.

By the way, would this kind of thread go under Gaming (Other) or Arts & Crafts forum?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're planning on releasing something commercially, you should take the initial step of setting up a blog for it elsewhere. Otherwise, you're trusting the safety of your dev blog to an unaffiliated site that can remove it or shut down at any time. A message board really isn't a suitable format for something like that, when there are hundreds of blog sites specifically set up for the purpose you're looking for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    By the way, would this kind of thread go under Gaming (Other) or Arts & Crafts forum?
    Arts and Crafts is more about visual and writing projects. Stories, comics, avatars, paintings, videos, etc. A thread about the graphics, sound track, or story you're making for a game would fit there, a thread about the game itself not so much.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2014-09-26 at 10:14 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: That seems fie along the lines Douglas mentioned. Put it wherever you think it'll fit best and get you the most useful input.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex