New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Fortune is a River (Exalted 2.5) IC

When the messengers of Master Suego requested that you meet him at his country house, you aren't quite sure what you were expecting, but it wasn't this.

The compound is surrounded by a staked palisade, but the riverside mansion is visible far beyond its walls. The building is constructed from polished white stone and dark wood, and draped with the master's mon, a ring of six black pips on a yellow field. It is a marvel of modern engineering, stretching over both banks of the Iko, like a man standing bestride a trickling brook.

Guards in polished bronze armour bearing Suego's colours stand ready to greet you. The archers on the watchtowers make no effort to conceal their ready bows. The weapons are not drawn, but the threat is there.

The guard captain, wearing a yellow-plumed helmet, respectfully greets you, and asks that your cohorts remain in the courtyard.

The interior of the mansion does not fail to display Suego's wealth, with many fine sculptures and tapestries, but the mansion is oddly designed and inhospitable feeling. You see no servants aside from the guards, no clatter from the kitchens, and no windows. The captain leads you along a candlelit hall and directs you through a gilded wooden door.

From there, you ascend a winding stair, to what must be the central tower of the mansion, directly over the river. The white stone seen in the rest of the mansion slowly gives way to mosaics of speckled, water-polished rocks. As you pass through a door of artfully carved driftwood, you enter a solar thick with cinnamon incense. Strings of freshwater pearls and polished shells hang from the ceiling. Behind shimmering drapes, a humanoid figure is seated, clothed in yellow.

"Great dragons! I, Suego, see that you have responded to my invitation, as I had foreseen. This pleases me. Come, sit, take refreshment and make yourselves known."

Inviting looking cushions line the floor, and drinking kettles containing some unfamiliar beverage have been lain out for you.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Fortune is a River (Exalted 2.5) IC

The shambling corpses that customarily surround Skies of Iron never fail to attract attention, and in these luxurious surroundings the pack of rotting dead stands out even more than usual. But Master Suego must have known of her necromantic tendencies when he chose to invite her, so there's no need to hide who - or what - she is. And if her fellow guests aren't quite so open-minded, better that she learn of their prejudices now than later. Survival is all about knowing who you can't trust.

As the group approaches the mansion she begins to examine it with both admiration and a considerable amount of jealousy. This opulent lifestyle is why she risks her life searching through ancient ruins for long-forgotten wealth. It's the dream of every Scavenger Lord to one day live like Suego does. At the captain's request she turns to her walking dead. "Remain here and do nothing else." Should someone try to attack them out of ignorance and fear, as has happened in the past, this phrasing ensures they will do nothing to defend themselves. Better to lose a few minions than have them kill somebody, even in self-defence. She gives no such order to the ghost that stands somewhere nearby, though. She finds her bodyguard's immaterial presence reassuring, and with any luck Suego's guards have no way to detect him.

Skies of Iron continues to admire the scenery as the group progresses into the mansion. Out of idle curiosity she uses a simple scavenger's trick to scan her surroundings for signs of true wealth and power: heavy concentrations of jade or the other magical materials. Once they reach their destination she closely studies the figure behind the drapes - Suego? - and tries to ascertain why the half-seen person has chosen to hide. Is there something you don't want us to see, or are you just trying to appear mysterious? She doesn't take a drink yet; she can think of no reason why Suego would take this many people so far into his sanctum just to poison them, but there's no point in taking chances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Fivefold Resonance Sense while going through the mansion, automatically detecting all blue jade within 600 yards, and additionally detecting other colours of jade within 600 yards and other magical materials within 150 if I get 3 successes on Perception+Occult:
    (7d10)[6][5][8][1][8][8][9](45) = 4 successes
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[8][8][9](25)
    And rolling Perception+Awareness to try to see this person through the drapes:
    (5d10)[1][2][2][10][8](23) = 3 successes
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[10][8][8](26)
    Last edited by Lanaya; 2014-09-29 at 03:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

There is almost no sound from the wood aspects steps. Even when her presence was known she was silent. She walked in file with the others. While the wilderness was her primary domain, she was not at all remiss inside a building. She stayed quiet as she was greeted and declines the offer of refreshments with a delicate hand gesture. This was business, not leisure.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Ivory Reflection makes no attempt to mask her distaste at the appearance of the mass of undead following one of the other guests. She also leaves no mistake that it has nothing to do with their being undead so much as the smell that entails, holding the back of a scented handkerchief to her nose until they had all passed a way from the rotting minions.

The obvious finery of the mansion suited her, or perhaps she suited it; even with the complete lack of visible life inside. An obvious display of beauty and power but without any purpose beyond that. In many ways that was a direct parallel to how Ivory Reflection conducted herself, and she was self aware enough to know it, which brought a smile to her lips just in time for them to enter Suego's chamber.

"An invitation from someone of your renown is not something to to be turned down lightly." She says while lowering herself into a seat and taking a moment to appraise the refreshments set out for their arrival. "You have my thanks for the refreshments, I appreciate your hospitality." She adds, inclining her head in a small bow before proceeding to serve herself, and anyone else interested, a drink from the kettles set out for them all.
    Last edited by dunecat; 2014-09-29 at 12:05 AM. Reason: messed up a colour section.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Silent Leopard took in the mansion with slightly raised eyebrows and an expression of mild distaste. So much wealth and so little of real worth to show for it. And these other guests... a necromancer and another scavenger... none looked too familiar, but it was possible he had encountered them before. Falling Leaf was there as well, but her presence was more a comfort then a possibly dangerous unknown. As they gather in the meeting room, he decided to stay standing. The cushions did look inviting, but this would hardly be the first time so innocent an item would be used for a hidden purpose. "Alright then Suego, would you mind telling us why we were brought to your manor? Your invitation was rather vague."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tepet Rathera enters at the side of Nazira Stormcrown, looking around at the signs of wealth and extravagance with a mildly impressed expression. He is dressed in full-military regalia, his red-jade daiklave sheathed over his back and red jade lamellar armoring his chest. He bows flamboyantly to Suego at the introduction.

"I am Rathera," he greets with a flourish as he rises, "I thank you for welcoming us into your-" his eyes see the kettle, and he grins.

"Excellent", he says with relish, "A beverage I have yet to taste!"

With that, he moves to the nearest kettle and serves himself a large amount of the strange drink, drinking deep from his cup at once.
    Last edited by will.fenrir; 2014-09-29 at 04:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Zombie

A detachment of Thundercloud soldiers raise their spears in salute as Nazira orders them to stay outside and enters the house, smiling as the cooler air of the interior alleviates the heat and fatigue of the journey. She is clad in red cotton, her scarf artfully tied around her neck, looking rather frail next to her fully jade-clad companion; for the sake of politeness, she has even forgone wearing Mela's Right Hand, and would look more like a merchant than a fighter - a common woman, really - were it not for her blue skin and the soft pulse of Essence in her veins. For all that she lacks the martial outlook, she tries her best to be the refined, dignified counterpart to Rathera, though she cannot repress a frown of disturbance at the sight of the necromancer. How distasteful.

As the Fire Aspect suddenly forgets all manners and throws himself on the drinks, she rolls her eyes and steps forward, bowing artfully. "I am Nazira el-Nesrim, leader of the Thunderclouds, Child of Mela and heir to the Nesrim family; Rathera is my companion and a Child of Hesieh. We are pleased by your invitation, sir, though its purpose remains a mystery to us. What brings this strange company here?" she adds with a bemused look at the rather disparate ensemble of Exalts gathered in this room - more than she has ever seen in one spot, to tell the truth.

She does not touch the drinks - yet. She does not fear poison; she merely considers it unwise to drink something before even knowing what it is. Some of the more barbaric people she has visited in her travel have the most disturbing culinary practices.
    Last edited by Mechanix; 2014-09-29 at 03:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

The drink is some kind of brandy, served hot, with a sweet but peppery flavour.

"It is my honour to make your acquaintance. Now that we are known, to business."

He claps his beringed hands twice, and a black lacquered chest in the middle of the room springs open. Within is a set of bamboo scrolls, painted with detailed charts and neat, elegant calligraphy.

"I have come into the possession of maps detailing the location of manse of the great anathema Kamon Dahk. Dahk was slain, righteously, by the dragons, and buried with his stela. I very much desire this prize, being much valued for its..."

He pauses pregnantly. The pearls draped from the ceiling jingle, though there is no breeze.

"...unique appearance."

Suego sighs theatrically. "Alas, the manse is guarded closely by a vicious and highly trained cult, and many cunning and deadly traps. My minions have proven insufficient. I have combed the land for allies capable of braving the perils of the manse, and from those capable, I have selected you, who I judge to be the mightiest and wisest. I am not without resources. I can offer wealth... and power... in return for this service. What say you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    From what you can see through the veils, Suego looks like a rotund but muscular man, bald. with bronzed skin, wearing golden jewellery and yellow robes.

You detect several pieces of jade in the radius. Some is on Suego's person, and traces are in various places downstairs, set in pietra dura, ornaments and sculpture. Quite a lot of it sits in a small chest behind the veil.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 2014-10-01 at 03:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Zombie

Nazira has been raised as a true Immaculate, and a true Immaculate does not disturb the tombs of the foul demons slain by the dragons, lest they awake their ghosts and bring woe to the world.

However, that ship has long sailed. You cannot very well be a scavenger lord and balk at the prospect of investigating the tombs of the Anathema. She takes a cup and sips slowly, careful to maintain proper composure. She does not, yet, touches the maps - no need to appear so eager.

"What other artifacts may be hoped to be retrieved from the tomb? In such situation, it is standard for us to require full rights to any other item we may come across."

Though the information is of obvious import to her, she is also stalling the conversation while she focuses her mind through practiced meditation exercise to scrutinize her memories for any information she might already know about the Anathema Dahk.
    Last edited by Mechanix; 2014-10-01 at 09:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Wealth and power are both welcome, but I can't accept or refuse this deal until I know more. How much wealth? What kind of power? Do you know who guards the manse? Mortals only, or do some of these cultists possess supenatural abilities? Obviously this will be far more difficult if we have to fight through a den of Anathema to get to your prize." And much more expensive for you is the unspoken implication. Skies of Iron also takes a mental note of the name Kamon Dahk. Most of the dead pass peacefully through the Lethe, but should his spirit still linger within the Underworld he would be a most useful ally for this mission.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Ivory Reflection hands a cup off to each of her fellow guests that asks for one, then settles down on her chosen seat to listen while considering the task Suego was describing for them. In many ways it was standard fare, though one item stood out to her above the others.

"What about the manse? If you're interest is only in the stela.." She felt there was no need to elaborate, if his only interest was one object and they were to fully clear out the manse of cultists then in her mind they would have every right to claim the manse as their own. Most likely to sell the rights to another party and split the profit of course, but it was still worth clearing up ahead of time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rathera narrows his eyes.

"What more can you tell us about the defenses?" he asks bluntly, The Anathema are not to be trifled with, even in death. How well guarded is this place?

13. - Top - End - #13

"You need never go needy again with my patronage. If you do me this service, you shall have all the coin you desire, enough to make your cousins on the Blessed Isle jealous. As for power, I know many blessings, and many secrets, and many people and I possess many things of power. I can afford your price."

Spoiler
    Show
    Suego is effectively offering you Resources 5 and any magical tutelage he might reasonably be able to arrange.

Suego takes a long sip at his drinking kettle.

"As for the manse, it is guarded by an Anathema cult, utilizing the enchanted weapons interred with the bodies of Dahk's loyal servants. They number at least in the dozens, and I believe they have some Terrestrial members of their own, although I have no reason to suspect that any living Anathema are among them. There should be much of power and value there, not to mention command of a potent manse. For my part in directing you to this bounty, I desire only the stela. You are welcome to keep whatever you find, or redistribute your findings to other interested parties."

14. - Top - End - #14

Suego's news deeply unsettles Skies of Iron, and she lets it show in her troubled expression. "Exalted members of an Anathema cult? There must be something quite powerful there to have dragged them into the clutches of darkness. Perhaps not an Anathema, but maybe a powerful malevolent spirit of some kind. We might need reinforcements to deal with whatever it is we're up against. Do you know of any mass graves or shadowlands between here and the manse?" Skies of Iron glances around at her comrades. "I don't know how you feel about enlisting the aid of the dead, but as far as I'm concerned anything that helps us in this battle will be a good thing."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I must admit, that is more then a little concerning. But your offer is... somewhat more so. As a matter of policy, I don't like making deals like this when I don't know the stakes. What exactly makes this stela's appearance so valuable to you? A general idea would suffice, but you have indeed offered us a great deal for it. Put bluntly, that makes me nervous." Leopard stares intently at Suego as he awaits his response. It had taken him quite a while to build up what he had now, and there was no way he would throw it all away for a job, even one a well paying as this.

16. - Top - End - #16

Zombie

Nazira's face hardens noticeably, and she performs in front of her a strange sign of hands, the Mudra of Rejection of Evil.

"This is beyond mere scavenging; to let an Anathema cult run so rampant that they manage to seduce the righteous Dragons to their dark cause... The evil and the misguided blend together into an indistinguishable whole, and have to be rooted out before they can fester. The ideal would be to destroy the cult entirley, but..."
    she sighs, knowing that turning this scavenging mission into a righteous crusade is a losing prospect; most Outcaste does not share her righteous conviction, and alone she would be no match for a powerful group. "I imagine that stealing their most precious artifact from underneath their nose will deliver them a great blow, and perhaps weaken their resolve enough that they may begin to fall apart. I will work for you."
    She looks at Skies of Iron, unsure what to make of her. "I have no love for the undead, but far better them than the Anathema, especially if they are led by a Dragon. Give me a moment..."

She focuses briefly, trying to recall the maps of the Scavenger Lands she has long studied and the location of any conveniently-placed shadowlands on their route to the tomb.
    Last edited by Mechanix; 2014-10-07 at 01:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaya View Post
    Suego's news deeply unsettles Skies of Iron, and she lets it show in her troubled expression. "Exalted members of an Anathema cult? There must be something quite powerful there to have dragged them into the clutches of darkness. Perhaps not an Anathema, but maybe a powerful malevolent spirit of some kind. We might need reinforcements to deal with whatever it is we're up against. Do you know of any mass graves or shadowlands between here and the manse?"
    Suego sniffs imperiously. "I selected you because I believed you to be suited to and sufficient for the task. I am rarely wrong about such things."

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofSilence View Post
    "I must admit, that is more then a little concerning. But your offer is... somewhat more so. As a matter of policy, I don't like making deals like this when I don't know the stakes. What exactly makes this stela's appearance so valuable to you? A general idea would suffice, but you have indeed offered us a great deal for it. Put bluntly, that makes me nervous." Leopard stares intently at Suego as he awaits his response. It had taken him quite a while to build up what he had now, and there was no way he would throw it all away for a job, even one a well paying as this.
    "The stela, if it interests you, is a statue as high as a man's waist, carved from a single piece of some unknown crimson gemstone and decorated with flecks of adamant and orichalcum gilding. The materials alone are highly valuable, but as an art treasure, it is worth what I am paying you. I have the contacts to set up an auction that will see a far greater return for my investment."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nazira sees that the destination is a long journey by river boat and then overland over plains and through forest. A short diversion will take the group in the vicinity of the infamous Balen Moor, a shadowland with a particularly bloody history formed during the Balorian Crusade.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 2014-10-09 at 08:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Skies of Iron frowns slightly at Suego's words. "I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I would still prefer to gather some allies before boldly charging in. There's no such thing as being too cautious when your life is on the line." She turns to face Nazira. "Thought of anything?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Zombie

Nazira nods. "Balen Moor is a shadowland dating back to the Balorian Crusade, and it's roughly on our way. I don't like it, but I can lead you to it. Won't take long. We will need to use boats for the first part of the trip, and I already have quite a few soldiers with me, so gathering allies right now would be logistically impractical, I think. Let us first raise your..." She winces. "...troops and see if what we have then is sufficient."

"Is there anything else we need to know before we go and make our preparations? We'll need your maps, I think,"
    she adds pointing at the chest.

20. - Top - End - #20

Suego waves airily. "But of course. Take care, valiant dragons. I trust that good fortune will follow you on your quest."
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 2014-10-25 at 12:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Skies of Iron gives Nazira a brief nod. "Thank you." She doesn't expect her companions to like her undead creations, merely to accept their assistance. "And thank you, Master Suego." He's done little to be thanked for, but a bit of politeness never hurt anybody. As she begins to leave the mansion she turns to her fellow Exalted. "Most of my luggage is carried by my servants as I travel. They're each as strong as half a dozen men, and essentially tireless. If you'd like them to perform that same service for you I can instruct them to. Of course, I would understand if you aren't interested."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I appreciate the gesture, but most of my possessions are either with my troops, or on my person. " Leopard nods his thanks to Suego before turning to Nazira as they begin to leave. "Unless you have some objection, I suggest we integrate our troops for the time being. They will likely be fighting alongside each other before to long, so it's best that the unit commanders get used to each other before we reach our destination. Similarly, if you don't mind my asking, do you command them directly? If not, I'd like to meet with whatever subordinate you have in charge."

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Nazira considers Leopard's words, then nods. "You're right, they should learn to know each other. I do not actually lead my troops - I pay them and give them broad directions, but I leave military leadership to my retainer and lieutenant, Fehim." Having exited Suego's house, she motions to a man wearing excellent bronze lamellar, dark of features and thick of beard, who walks briskly to her and bows reverently before Leopard. Oddly, the sclera of his eyes is yellow. "This is Fehim, my commander, who leads the Thunderclouds in my name. Fehim, this is..." She pauses, frowns. "I didn't actually catch your name."

24. - Top - End - #24

The journey has taken three weeks, and has been desperately boring.

The party marches steadily eastwards along the narrowing banks of the Iko. At night, the air is a live with a light show of phosphorescent insects, and the bellows of thankfully distant superpredators echo through the forest. Human settlements begin to grow sparser, the trees grow taller and denser, and the air more humid. Even rugged trail provisions begin to spoil in the cloying air, and the party begins to rely more on its skilled foragers to provision itself.

At last, the Iko begins to narrow to a trickle. From here, you can see its source, a small, rugged mountain, its name lost to time. Looking more closely, you can see that the area shows signs of recent logging, and plumes of dark smoke rise from the slopes, a sure sign of a settlement.

The Balen Moor lies a day's travel to the south-east, barely visible over the treetops as a shadowy, noxious haze. It may be unwise to continue without re-provisioning, as even the most skilled foragers and cooks can find it difficult to supply so large a party from the meagre pickings of a Shadowland.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 2014-10-25 at 03:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rathera stops, looks at the expanse ahead.

"That looks welcoming," he remarks dryly, his hand falling to the red jade blade at his waist, eyes narrowing at the Shadowland ahead, as though imagining the horrors within.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Right. Leaf, do you think you can take a look around? We should probably think about setting up a base-camp outside the Shadowland before we continue on." Leopard takes in the surrounding landscape. "How do we want to continue from here on out. Any ideas for the attack?"

27. - Top - End - #27

"Abieshu, scout ahead in the shadowland. Avoid combat and remain immaterial if possible. Once you have encountered a threat, or determined there are likely none present, return to me, materialise and report." The necromancer is well accustomed to talking to invisible beings, but it may look quite odd to her companions. As her ghostly bodyguard advances, she turns to reply to Rathera and Leopard. "The natural flows of essence aren't fully compatible with the living. Other than that shadowlands aren't unusually dangerous. You may encounter aggressive ghosts, but no more often in my experience than you would find equally aggressive and dangerous spirits outside of a shadowland." Skies of Iron shrugs. "Still, I understand if you'd rather not enter. I can fend for myself inside, and I won't need to stay for long. One night should be enough."

28. - Top - End - #28

Zombie

Even the bleak outline of a shadowland is a welcome break from the monotony of the trip so far. Now more than ever, Nazira regrets not being familiar enough with horses to have taken one for the trip. Scratching her shoulder at the point of contact where her armor stops, she scrutinizes the landscape, frowning.

"We're running out of food, and this shadowland looks pretty big and foreboding to me. Shouldn't we try resupplying first? There looks to be a settlement nearby."

29. - Top - End - #29

The settlement proves to be a prosperous walled logging town, a surprisingly advanced cradle of civilization for a place so remote. There is some initial confusion; the guardsmen speak some obscure local dialect, and openly marvel at your jade equipment and exotic appearance. After the hasty summoning of an elder who speaks halting Riverspeak, they are pleased to let you enter. You spot steel mail and tempered weapons among the possessions of the guards and hunters, and there are some modestly impressive works of cast bronze and pottery on the market stalls.

The town is organized into tiers, great steps cut into the mountain side. In the distance, you can see water wheels lining the trickling river, powering a set of mills. Elsewhere wafts the enticing scent of fresh baked bread. At the highest tier of the village, cut into the living rock, are enormous statues of human figures, standing guard over the caves that lead within. The statues are draped with copper chains, garlands of flowers, talismans and other offerings.

"Pri Ashi Attra." says your host, seeing you glance in that direction. He makes a sign with his hand, completing the obscure prayer. "We are much blessed."

Few visit the town, according to the old man, save for the occasional explorer. They have lived in isolation for many years. To be visited by more of the Enlightened, this is cause for celebration.

The villagers prepare a feast under the evening sun. The fare is simple, but excellent. Maize bread, cheeses, fruits, roasted vegetables, wildfowl and goat, all with ample helpings of fiery local condiments. They do not demand payment, but gratefully accept anything that you give them in return, and are most fascinated with silver, which you are given to understand is not found locally.

The party sets out in the morning, bearing generous provisions. The villagers press flowers and good luck talismans of worked clay and tin into the hands of each passing member of the group. "The dark lands are forbidden to us, but we have not your wisdom. Be well."

With that, the group departs, trekking towards the shadowland.

Today is if anything even more sweltering than yesterday. By afternoon, the air is uncomfortably close, and the undergrowth is thick. As you move on, the trees begin to blacken and take on a slick, sinuous appearance. The ground grows wet and spongy, indicating that you are approaching the wetlands of the moor. You smell the shadowland before you see it, the scent of rot and decay, both plant and animal, is choking on the thick air. The foliage on the ground grows sparser, but the canopy overhead grows thicker, until no light penetrates. Visibility drops as your vision is clouded with increasingly thicker fog. You sense you are nearing the border of the infamous Balen Moor.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 2014-10-27 at 10:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The group of walking dead which often accompany Skies of Iron are left well outside the town's boundaries, concealing themselves in treetops and ditches and with explicit orders to flee from any humans they see. A few undead so close to a shadowland is to be expected, but it may seriously damage relations with the townsfolk if any of the Exalted were seen using necromancy. She remains quiet and reserved throughout the night, feeling vulnerable and exposed without any of her servants by her side, but eventually the good food cheers her up and she becomes more sociable. The following morning she bids the townsfolk a warm farewell.

Later that morning Abieshu materialises by her side. His body is large and muscular, and he carries an ancient and rusted sword in one hand and an axe in the other. His axe arm contorts at odd angles to carry a shield as well, and his entire body is covered in deep wounds - the scars of his vicious death, proudly worn centuries after he transcended his physical body. He leans in to whisper a report to Skies of Iron, who quickly thanks him and relays his message to the other Dragon-bloods.

"This particular shadowland may be very dangerous. The terrain is swampy and dangerous, it'll be all but impossible to safely march troops through. The natives are both dangerous and aggressive, some creatures of the Underworld and others severely mutated Creation-born. I'd recommend taking only your best troops in if you must bring any, and trying to stay on the edges. My magic will function anywhere within the shadowland, we don't need to go any further in than that."