New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default What is the meaning of life?

I'm a young person starting to grow up and mature. I'm going to be on my own relatively soon. But i've got some plans and options but not completely know what I want to do with my life. But that's a deferent problem and is not what I'm exactly asking.

What I'm asking is, what is the meaning of life?
    If it sounds like I'm trolling I'm really not.

I'm not the smartest thing ever[even know I can seem like it] so I'm going to be wrong some times so just call me out on it.[i swear I'm not trolling]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: What is the meaning of life?

We can solve this problem using mathematics. We all know that the only two things certain in life are "death" and "taxes". In order for something to be the "meaning of life", it has to be certain in life (or it would not be the meaning of life, since it would not be certain to some people that are quite certainly living); thus, only "death" and "taxes" can qualify as true meanings of life.

Death is automatically eliminated due to being the antithesis of life. Thus, by process of elimination, the only remaining thing are "taxes".

Thus, I present my postulate:

If a meaning of life exists, then the meaning of life is "taxes".

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Azurefenrir; 2014-09-28 at 10:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's entirely up to you. Life has no meaning by itself, you need to give it meaning.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK, who wants to say "42"?

Your life will have the meaning you give it. Will your career give your life meaning? Your hobby? Your family? Your friendships? Your artistic expressions? All of the above? It all depends on your choices.

You shouldn't expect yourself to know what is most important to you in life until you have actually experienced some different things. Read, travel, meet people, get out and do as many interesting things as you can, before you make up your mind about life.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Azurefenrir View Post
    We can solve this problem using mathematics. We all know that the only two things certain in life are "death" and "taxes". In order for something to be the "meaning of life", it has to be certain in life (or it would not be the meaning of life, since it would not be certain to some people that are quite certainly living); thus, only "death" and "taxes" can qualify as true meanings of life.

Death is automatically eliminated due to being the antithesis of life. Thus, by process of elimination, the only remaining thing are "taxes".

Thus, I present my postulate:

If a meaning of life exists, then the meaning of life is "taxes".

Hope this helps.
    Taxes is not certain in life so it can't be the meaning.

I'm not the smartest thing ever[even know I can seem like it] so I'm going to be wrong some times so just call me out on it.[i swear I'm not trolling]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Taxes are usually pretty much certain.

It's PAYING them that's in question.

EDIT: It is possible that you may not live long enough to pay taxes, so maybe you're correct.

Ignore me, I'm functioning on no sleep.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-09-28 at 10:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

It's a Monty python movie featuring a piratical tax agency.

More seriously, this question has evaded many for centuries. You won't get a quick and easy answer. That said, everyone else is wrong. The meaning of life is to be excellent to each other.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's a Monty python movie featuring a piratical tax agency.

More seriously, this question has evaded many for centuries. You won't get a quick and easy answer. That said, everyone else is wrong. The meaning of life is to be excellent to each other.
    And...

PARTY ON, DUDES!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

smile Re: What is the meaning of life?

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And...

PARTY ON, DUDES!
    I think that part is optional, and just an example of how excellence towards each other can be promulgated and achieved.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So siuis you believe that are own reality and meaning to our lives is created by others?

I don't think the question have been evaded for centuries for if it had been evaded then there would be no such thing as philosophy or purpose or even religion(non Speak of religion again so the moddys won't banish the thread to the nether realm.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought it was to plant a tree for the shade you'll never see. But that's just me.

In all seriousness, though, life can mean whatever you want it to mean. It can mean being excellent to each other, or loving your fellow man or what have you, but it could also mean raising a family or creating something that will last beyond your lifetime. Life's a bit of an enigma, but never let that get you down. As long as you still have a dream in your heart and a spark in your mind, you can shape your life however you want.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

d20 Re: What is the meaning of life?

The answers are starting to sound the same, so if I may I'll ask something extra.

What brings meaning to your life?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Findpathfencer View Post
    Oh, I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I enjoy crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me and hearing the lamentations of their women.

I think life is whatever you make it. Find something you enjoy, people you enjoy being with... that's all.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2014-09-28 at 11:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

The answers are starting to sound the same, so if I may I'll ask something extra.

Ah, now that is a question that can be answered.

My family
    My community
    My job

Trying to leave a positive impact on the world. To stand out and make a difference, rather than just be a cog in the machine.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

There are 20 different meanings of life if you're using the word as a noun, and 4 if it's an adjective.

See for yourself.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    There are 20 different meanings of life if you're using the word as a noun, and 4 if it's an adjective.

See for yourself.
    I think you win. I'm not sure what, exactly. But you won it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Taxes is not certain in life so it can't be the meaning.
    In case it's non-obvious, it was a joke. It's like the high-school-era mathematical proof that girls are evil, given that girls are time and money, time is money, and money is the root of all evil (although that's based on the flawed presumption that girls=time*money rather than time+money).

Taxes are pretty inevitable in some form or other though.
    So siuis you believe that are own reality and meaning to our lives is created by others?
    Are you familiar with the concept of consensus reality? It's an interesting idea, and is relevant to your question.

I don't think the question have been evaded for centuries for if it had been evaded then there would be no such thing as philosophy or purpose or even religion(non Speak of religion again so the moddys won't banish the thread to the nether realm.)
    It's not that the question has been evaded; it's that the answer to the question has evaded everyone. Except Homer Simpson, and Deep Thought, but unfortunately, they're fictional.

To be honest I've always felt that much of the problem is with the question. It's just really vague. If you ask "what is the meaning of <>" devoid of further context where <> equals almost anything (and assuming that it's not enclosed in quotation marks so that the question is asking for a literal definition) it's difficult to come up with a useful response even if that subject is very well understood.

What is the meaning of lunch?
    What is the meaning of fish?
    What is the meaning of music?
    etc.

(Douglas Adams obviously also identified this, so once the meaning of life had been determined in Hitchhiker's Guide the real problem became determining the proper question).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18

I don't think the question have been evaded for centuries for if it had been evaded then there would be no such thing as philosophy or purpose or even religion
    On the contrary, that's exactly why all those things exist to begin with. If everybody knew what the meaning of life was, we'd have either stopped pursuing the above or never invented them to begin with.

But yeah, the real meaning of life is thus: GOATS.
    And what gives purpose to life? Iunno. Motivation. Wanting to buy things. Wanting to fix problems you have. Et cetera.
    vape naesh

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I've got to ask, with all the forum rules, what were you expecting? As you pointed out there are entire fields of study on this topic. If you want wide ranging topics I'd suggest going and looking at those instead of a highly moderated PG rated Message Board.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The real meaning of life is the pursuit and enjoyment of cuddling.

There are many tangentially related meanings. Delicious food. Music. The acquisition of knowledge. The invention of new and terrible jokes. Getting completely lost. Dying happy. Leaving a legacy. A million other things.

All of it boils down to finding and enjoying meaning in the things you do.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Either the meaning of life is to travel through the gates of existentialism & find your own meaning, "Make more Mans," or there is no meaning so you are free.

IIRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems most of the good jokes are taken, so I suppose I'll have to be serious for once.

Life is meaningless. On a cosmic scale, everything that you know of is so insignificant that it would not make even a 1/10th of a percent of difference to the rest of the universe if it all suddenly disappeared one day. Nothing you do will ever matter to almost the entirety of the rest of the universe. There is nothing you can do to change this - you are miniscule and powerless.

Consequently, this means that the meaning of your life is whatever you make of it - so do what you want to. Find someplace that you want to be, and work towards it. You can always change your mind later on.

This. Life is inherently meaningless - so figure out what things you find meaning in, and pursue them.
    A few odds and ends.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

I believe many things and create many beliefs, but they are not forum relevant.

Stop, reverse. Not that the question has been avoided, the answer has been hard to find.

Excellence to each other. Duh. I already said all other answers were wrong, didn't i? Pretty conclusive, that.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The real meaning of life is the pursuit and enjoyment of cuddling.

There are many tangentially related meanings. Delicious food. Music. The acquisition of knowledge. The invention of new and terrible jokes. Getting completely lost. Dying happy. Leaving a legacy. A million other things.

All of it boils down to finding and enjoying meaning in the things you do.
    Yeah, excellence. towards each other. Your selves are included in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    It seems most of the good jokes are taken, so I suppose I'll have to be serious for once.
    I'm taking this train and riding it into the gorge, like I was racing a Wyld Stallyn.

Life is meaningless. On a cosmic scale, everything that you know of is so insignificant that it would not make even a 1/10th of a percent of difference to the rest of the universe if it all suddenly disappeared one day. Nothing you do will ever matter to almost the entirety of the rest of the universe. There is nothing you can do to change this - you are miniscule and powerless.
    Quite wrong, really. Meaning comes solely from subjective assessment. Saying that X would not make 1/10 of a percent of a difference, misses that 'difference' is based on meaning attributed by others.

Really, though, it's a POV objection. The statement "life is meaningless" is not merely a logical statement, it's an emotional one. You're conveying value judgement. It's equally correct to say everything has meaning and you'll have to find which meanings are he ones you value enough to follow.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2014-09-29 at 01:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    ... (although that's based on the flawed presumption that girls=time*money rather than time+money).
    I agree that girls =time*money is flawed as my wife and daughter have proven this weekend, it's more like time^money...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I think we have to distinguish between meaning and purpose here.

The purpose of life is to basically act as a cosmic inoculation, but the meaning of life is what I said earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

My wife
    My Daughters
    Books & Video Games
    The few close friends I have

Giving kindness when and where I can as well, but that one doesn't happen much as I'm quite the hermit, and also very, very poor AND I'm disabled, so I can't even give through physical deeds.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

This. Life is inherently meaningless - so figure out what things you find meaning in, and pursue them.
    Life doesn't have a meaning, that we can find easily at least, that doesn't make it meaningless.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Quite wrong, really. Meaning comes solely from subjective assessment. Saying that X would not make 1/10 of a percent of a difference, misses that 'difference' is based on meaning attributed by others.

Really, though, it's a POV objection. The statement "life is meaningless" is not merely a logical statement, it's an emotional one. You're conveying value judgement. It's equally correct to say everything has meaning and you'll have to find which meanings are he ones you value enough to follow.
    I would disagree - especially given that I meant 'difference' objectively, and not from the very biased view of those of us who exist on the same planet as the OP. For clarity: If, say, I were to remove a galaxy (under the assumption that the OP has heard of the Milky Way) from a random galaxy cluster (not necessarily even in the visible universe - it could be anywhere), what do you think the chances are that anyone on earth - aside from perhaps a few astronomers who go and look for these sorts of things (assuming that the one I removed was even cataloged - even the most generous estimates for how many galaxies we have cataloged are only on the order of ~50 million, and this is assuming I picked one that's even visible to us) would ever notice? There are over 170 billion galaxies in just the observable universe, but only around 100,000 that are even close to being near to us (in our local supercluster) - and far less easily visible to the naked eye. I stand by my statement that, to the overwhelming majority of the universe (from almost every other reference frame), everything within billions upon billions of miles of us is utterly insignificant, or "meaningless", as I put it.

Absolutely. I don't believe there is any inherent purpose or goal in life, so I see it as meaningless, but it would be equally correct to say that everything has meaning. That isn't the interpretation that I went with, however.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely. I don't believe there is any inherent purpose or goal in life, so I see it as meaningless, but it would be equally correct to say that everything has meaning. That isn't the interpretation that I went with, however.
    See above. Unless by meaningless you mean simply Without Inherent Meaning. Because Meaningless can mean something totally different.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

*points to sig*

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo