New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 5: Bismuth as Usual

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    So the only reason for the all animals become male is that the Court likes to balance the numbers? The court can be silly.
    Already well established.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post

Please explain.
    MWAHAHAHAHAHA I HAVE FORCED SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN THEIR JOKE! iamsopathetic
    She reminds me of one of the chimeras from FMA that had traits of several animals mashed together in a humanoid form. Because she's a snake lady(cobra in particular) with the face of a rodent. I mean, sure, you could also get some kind of mongoose or ferret/tuberat vibe from her face and elongation, too, but the green and the... hood off the back of her headgear?

Snake all over it.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-02-20 at 05:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Anyone else find it interesting that the nurse lady doesn't need the protection gear?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

An implication of this strip is that all female students (inlcuding Antimony?) were originally fairies, so there are no animal derived female students (does that imply there are no animal derived female staff, or is there somewhere else that makes people from animals?)
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    An implication of this strip is that all female students (inlcuding Antimony?) were originally fairies, so there are no animal derived female students (does that imply there are no animal derived female staff, or is there somewhere else that makes people from animals?)
    ...What?

Only the students who transfer here from the Forest go through this. All of the others are female or male because they were born that way.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    ...What?

Only the students who transfer here from the Forest go through this. All of the others are female or male because they were born that way.
    Yeah, I have been following the strip for a year or two, and my memory is bad, sorry about that.

Are non-forest students always human?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-02-20 at 11:51 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    So the only reason for the all animals become male is that the Court likes to balance the numbers? The court can be silly.
    It is a silly place.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I wonder what happens the times when there are more fairies than animals going to the Court. (The opposite isn't a problem; some animals could turn/stay female.)
    Also what happens with odd numbers. (The stupid part of me replies readily "genderqueer is what happens".)
    Or maybe the Court waits until they have the right numbers for both before making a batch? Must be fastidious and unreliable, unless they can somehow influence Forest inhabitants to decide to make the switch to the Court or not.

(Yes, those are the questions keeping me up at night, and I don't even like maths.)
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mono Vertigo View Post
    Well, I wonder what happens the times when there are more fairies than animals going to the Court. (The opposite isn't a problem; some animals could turn/stay female.)
    Also what happens with odd numbers. (The stupid part of me replies readily "genderqueer is what happens".)
    Or maybe the Court waits until they have the right numbers for both before making a batch? Must be fastidious and unreliable, unless they can somehow influence Forest inhabitants to decide to make the switch to the Court or not.

(Yes, those are the questions keeping me up at night, and I don't even like maths.)
    I think you meant intersex, not genderqueer.

My guess is that they just wait until the number is even. Or maybe they only take 30 a year and there are usually/always more applicants than that anyway?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I have been following the strip for a year or two, and my memory is bad, sorry about that.

Well, no. Consider the main character, for example.

But there are probably more human students than not among non-forest students, and more non-forest students than transfers.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I think you meant intersex, not genderqueer.
    I did say it was the stupid part of the brain talking.
    (And more seriously I'd kind of forgotten we're talking about sex change and not so much gender change.)
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

12. - Top - End - #282

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting that the nurse lady doesn't need the protection gear?
    Have you looked at her? Either the damage has already been done and she's been mutated as far as she'll mutate or she wasn't quite human to begin with.

Or she's been transhumanism'd into being able to comfortably deal with all of the environmental hazards of her work-place environment, hence the obviously gene-spliced appearance.

Caps and Quotas so that those who are fighting an uphill battle to be humans don't outnumber those who are naturally human would make sense.

Besides, there's an element of serendipity and manipulated/engineered serendipity about the whole affair anyway.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Caps and Quotas so that those who are fighting an uphill battle to be humans don't outnumber those who are naturally human would make sense.

Besides, there's an element of serendipity and manipulated/engineered serendipity about the whole affair anyway.
    Yeah, that makes the most sense. That was a half-unspoken possibility in my hypotheses.
    ... makes sense, but raises a lot of questions in return if that's what's going on. (But if I wanted a comic answering its own questions in a straightforward and simple way, I wouldn't be reading Gunnerkrigg Court.)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm hoping antimony and boy whose name I forget because I suck make a stand for humanish rights

15. - Top - End - #285

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, that makes the most sense. That was a half-unspoken possibility in my hypotheses.
    ... makes sense, but raises a lot of questions in return if that's what's going on. (But if I wanted a comic answering its own questions in a straightforward and simple way, I wouldn't be reading Gunnerkrigg Court.)
    It's the court and the forest. You should always distrust everything to do with either faction's true workings. Or at the very least, question everything from them, because they either have a vested interest in lying or at least keeping the whole truth from being known or they're a creature who is basically made of lies and storytelling as a trickster spirit.

Edit: I suspect that we really should be questioning why this was still able to go on so smoothly despite that there have been no mediums overseeing the process for over a decade if I'm remembering when Surma had to stop correctly. Not only the how but why either or both sides were invested in continuing the practice.

And not just because it's a way to get rid of malcontents without the loss of political capital in having them disappeared or killed.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-02-20 at 10:59 PM.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Edit: I suspect that we really should be questioning why this was still able to go on so smoothly despite that there have been no mediums overseeing the process for over a decade if I'm remembering when Surma had to stop correctly. Not only the how but why either or both sides were invested in continuing the practice.

And not just because it's a way to get rid of malcontents without the loss of political capital in having them disappeared or killed.
    Well, Ysengrin has been the medium for the forest side of things. The court doesn't seem to have bothered.

Presumably arrangements were made even if direct contact wasn't. It's very benficial for both sides, really - you get new immigrants who so desperately want to join your community that they're willing to give up literally everything about their old self.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Human-ish. There's gods and valkyries and whatever Annie's dad was.

Just to be clear, the rabbit knows that it will become a male.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-02-21 at 01:51 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Well, Ysengrin has been the medium for the forest side of things. The court doesn't seem to have bothered.
    Ah, yes, Ysengrim. Very physically threatening, sure. There's a reason I don't take him seriously as a medium, especially not since we've seen his poor mediumship portrayed in comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Presumably arrangements were made even if direct contact wasn't. It's very benficial for both sides, really - you get new immigrants who so desperately want to join your community that they're willing to give up literally everything about their old self.
    I suppose if you can get around the difficulties with them on the personal level, the fairies were rather... savants from our glimpse into their education. That alone doesn't really show us why the Court would especially desire them.

And the Forest's desires and true gain are even murkier.

Neither is exactly hurting for population, though, as far as we're aware, and being gungho about joining in the first place doesn't exactly translate into much if Red is any indication, nor does it have any obvious utility, since morale isn't particularly an issue either.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Snake lady probably just walked across the bridge to pick up the totems from Ysengrin. That doesn't seem like a big deal, if they were doing it for hundreds of years why would they stop just because they don't have a medium for a couple years? It's probably not the first time that's happened anyway.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just spent two days reading all of Gunnerkrigg Court for the first time. It's wonderful.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Snakie is very tall and flexible. I'm starting to wonder if he/she might not have as rigid a skeleton as we mere mortals...

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    I just spent two days reading all of Gunnerkrigg Court for the first time. It's wonderful.
    Congratulations and welcome!

And yes, it is.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

So, apparently it's not poisonous air, just hot and humid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

From... Cardiff.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe she/he/it really is a Fullmetal Alchemist chimera.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2015-02-25 at 03:28 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    From... Cardiff.
    Mystery solved!

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    From... Cardiff.
    Obviously a dragon-spawn in humanoid form.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Mutated by all the wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey energy, no doubt.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    I've met people from Cardiff. She seems about right.
    They're all Voldemort-dragon hybrids?

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, not all of the nonhumans are from the Forest. No reason she couldn't be from Cardiff. After all, the ex-Foresters we've seen look human.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    couldn't be from Cardiff. After all, the ex-Foresters we've seen look human.
    Aside from their extremely pointed ears and nearly-pupil-less eyes (in the case of the ex-fairies), of course.

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Show