New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 3.5 adding enchantments to unique armor

If I want to add an enchantment to a unique armor...
    Is it possible, would it cost extra?

Specifically I wanted to add Soulfire to a mithril Fullplate of speed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 adding enchantments to unique armor

As far as I know you just need to calculate the cost based on a set of full plate made of mithral with the speed property. The formulas are in the DMG as are explanations on how to calculate the stuff. If you don't feel like doing the math I beleive that PCGen (a free dl-able 3.5e anf pathfinder char gen) will calculate the cost for you (not too sure about the accuracy).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is something I have never understood. The 3.5 book goes out of its way to include this whole "build your own items" system with + equivalents for powers and rules for crafting. Then it introduces a whole bunch of unique items with awesome powers that don't fit. You might be able to reverse engineer some of them to find out what their + equivalent is, but not all of them follow the formula, and you are going to need to DM's permission anyway, and in my experience most won't give it. A very bad decision on WotC's part if you ask me.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStone View Post
    If I want to add an enchantment to a unique armor...
    Is it possible, would it cost extra?

Specifically I wanted to add Soulfire to a mithril Fullplate of speed.
    Quoting myself from your original thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And in answer to your questions: Yes, it is possible, and yes, it costs extra. It gets trickier when you're using unique items as opposed to regular magic items, but in my experience most DMs will allow it.

In any case, Mithral Full Plate of Speed isn't so much unique as it is specific: it's a suit of magic armor "usually . . . preconstructed with exactly the qualities described here." Specific items are basically magic item bundle packs - a set of complementary, thematic enhancements on a single item. Nothing stops you from adding more to a specific magic item, just as you would any other magic item.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!