New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Rate my Invoker!

Hello all!

This Invoker isn't a min-max char, just something I came up with after I received, through miraculous ways, a concept in my mind.

Since I chose powers and feats and race and all, due to a concept, and not to minmaxing, I'm wondering if it'll be able to keep up. If it's fun to play, if it's playable at all.

Basically the concept is this:
    An ancient race, living secluded, studied the war of the Gods and the Primordials (so it can prevent it from happening again, or when it does happen, to have an advantage). The focus will be on controlling the battlefield, I decide, by the will of the Gods, where people are, and where they go to. (not so much on debuff/buffing, more on placement).
    After having studied everything available at his homeplace, he started traveling the world looking for more information or hints of it.

So I picked Eladrin as race and Ioun as main Deity.

Any reaction is welcome (even if it's min-max stuff, it might actually fit in the concept anyhow, but I might have overlooked it). I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

Ps. Only the PHB's, AV's and Power books are allowed, none of the Heroes/Campaign/Essentials books.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Scientiae Artem, level 8
    Eladrin, Invoker
    Divine Covenant Option: Covenant of Preservation
    Touched by an Angel (+2 to Perception)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 20, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 22 Fort: 16 Ref: 21 Will: 21
    HP: 50 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +17, History +18, Insight +15, Perception +17, Religion +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +4, Athletics +4, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +8, Heal +9, Intimidate +4, Nature +9, Stealth +4, Streetwise +4, Thievery +4

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
    Invoker Feature: Rebuke Undead
    Covenant of Preservation Power: Preserver's Rebuke
    Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts
    Invoker Attack 1: Grasping Shards
    Invoker Attack 1: Scourge of Heaven
    Invoker Attack 1: Binding Invocation of Chains
    Invoker Utility 2: Shroud of Awe
    Invoker Attack 3: Chains of Carceri
    Invoker Attack 5: Searing Orb
    Invoker Utility 6: Astral Step
    Invoker Attack 7: Thunderbolt of the Heavens

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Hafted Defense
    Level 2: Invoker Defense
    Level 4: Power of Skill
    Level 6: Implement Expertise (Staff)
    Level 8: Power of Knowledge

ITEMS
    Ritual Book
    Hand of Fate
    Portend Weather
    Earthroot Accurate staff +2 x1
    Shimmering Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
    Map of Unseen Lands
    Belt of Nourishment x1

====== End ======

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rate my Invoker!

I believe Visions of Blood is regarded one of the better powers for an invoker, so maybe pick that up? You can refluff it as creating an elaborate illusion of one of the Dawn War's horrors and implanting it in your enemies' minds.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello Dire_Stirge,

First of all; thank you for taking the time to look at my character and to give feedback to it.

The at-will powers I have now, I have chosen with a reason;
    Divine Bolts are Ranged Basic attacks, due to the feat Power of Skill.
    Grasping Shards is an at-will Slow.

I can see how Visions of Blood (or Vanguard Lightning for that matter) would be better. Thank you for pointing that out. My question is; is that power considered mandatory for an Invoker to be able to keep up? In other words; I would need to give up an at-will slow or a ranged basic attack for that, does it make such a big difference the definite answer is yes?

I see I forgot to mention some things, so here they are :)

My DM tends to create Hard battles (like 3 or 4 levels above us).

Our party consists of:
    1 Halfling Paladin (focus on defending, with some offheals)
    2 Eladrin Wizard (focus on dps instead of control)
    3 Shifter Runepriest (focus on buffing, with some offheals) ((died last session, not sure if he's gonna get ressurected)
    4 Shifter Druid (focus on dps instead of control, with some offheals)
    5 Goliath Runepriest (focus on buff and debuffer, with some offheals)
    6 Me :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tlrieslt View Post
    I can see how Visions of Blood (or Vanguard Lightning for that matter) would be better. Thank you for pointing that out. My question is; is that power considered mandatory for an Invoker to be able to keep up? In other words; I would need to give up an at-will slow or a ranged basic attack for that, does it make such a big difference the definite answer is yes?
    No. An invoker doesn't need it, although it is useful. However, with the party you have there, you won't be granted a lot of basic attacks (and even if someone can grant those, they'll likely go to the paladin or druid). This makes the RBA-ness of Divine Bolts far less attractive, unless you are planning on using this in the future (like applying a feature that only works on RBA's).

The other perk of Divine Bolts, being able to target more creatures, is something the wizard will likely be able to do. With this knowledge, I'd advise you to replace it with VoB.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!