Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    just need a little brief translation and imagination help for my Laundry Files game: an appropriate name for the occult intelligence agencies of Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
    Norway's is the imaginative Okkulte Etterretningstjenesten (not, as you might be excused for thinking, Trollsikkerhetstjenesten). I suppose I'm cheating a bit with the Danish and Swedish - i can read them just fine but producing proper spelling is probably going to end up with something a bit...off.

    På forhånd takk.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Ockulta Säkerhetstjänsten (Svenska)
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FinnLassie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Alba

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Finnish: Okkultistinen tiedusteluvirasto (acronym OTV), or you could call it "Suomen okkultistinen tiedusteluvirasto" (SOTV, "Occult Intelligence Agency of Finland"). Note that it is a very different language compared to the rest of the Nordic ones. If you want help with pronounciation, I can make a recording of it. Google Translate can give you a rough idea, but it's kinda... not right.
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!


    PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Teddy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    just need a little brief translation and imagination help for my Laundry Files game: an appropriate name for the occult intelligence agencies of Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
    Norway's is the imaginative Okkulte Etterretningstjenesten (not, as you might be excused for thinking, Trollsikkerhetstjenesten). I suppose I'm cheating a bit with the Danish and Swedish - i can read them just fine but producing proper spelling is probably going to end up with something a bit...off.

    På forhånd takk.
    Well, Asta already gave a direct translation, but I'd like to add that I think "Ockulta underrättelsetjänsten" is more accurate. That said, if you don't want them all to share what essentially is the same name, I would also suggest "Ockulta spaningsanstalten" ("the Occult Intelligence Establishment"). This would work especially well if this is a branch of the military, rather than the civilian police, since then it'd be called "Försvarets ockulta spaningsanstalt", which I think rolls quite well off the tongue. If you rather want it to be a secret or not-so-secret branch of the police, then I'd also suggest that you may go for the don't-make-it-complicated approach and name it "Övernaturliga polisen" ("the Supernatural Police"), inevitably abbreviated to "Övpo".

    Also, note that in Swedish organisation names, only the first word has its first letter capitalised.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-09-30 at 06:19 PM.
    All pictures from my Tour de Friends are now up. I want to thank everyone involved one last time for the wonderful time I've had this summer!

    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

    Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Thanks for the help so far. Some background on Charlie Stross' Laundry Files: math is magic, and magic can do weird stuff like summoning Cthulhu, and secret government organizations exist to prevent stuff from getting out of hand. Basically, it's 'Men in Black' meets Lovecraft, written as spy novels, with a large dose of 'Yes, Minister' for extra humor/cosmic horror at overwhelming bureaucrasy. The various agencies around the world have less obvious names like Operational Phenomenology, The Thirtheenth Directorate, Capital Laundry Services, Garda Unit for the Bizarre and Unprecedented, and other names which are varying degrees of obvious. If you want to play with it and find something more inventive, go ahead.

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Finnish: Okkultistinen tiedusteluvirasto (acronym OTV), or you could call it "Suomen okkultistinen tiedusteluvirasto" (SOTV, "Occult Intelligence Agency of Finland"). Note that it is a very different language compared to the rest of the Nordic ones. If you want help with pronounciation, I can make a recording of it. Google Translate can give you a rough idea, but it's kinda... not right.
    Pronounciation is nice but not necessary - I doubt my Russian/Gaelic/Mandarin/whatever sounds particularly good and it's not likely to come up other than in passing. I'm just trying to

    Also, note that in Swedish organisation names, only the first word has its first letter capitalised.
    Norwegian too, technically. I just can never get my head around that and keep making silly mistakes.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    They'd probably call it something like "Avdelningen för särskilda händelser" (Department for special events).
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FinnLassie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Alba

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Thanks for the help so far. Some background on Charlie Stross' Laundry Files: math is magic, and magic can do weird stuff like summoning Cthulhu, and secret government organizations exist to prevent stuff from getting out of hand. Basically, it's 'Men in Black' meets Lovecraft, written as spy novels, with a large dose of 'Yes, Minister' for extra humor/cosmic horror at overwhelming bureaucrasy. The various agencies around the world have less obvious names like Operational Phenomenology, The Thirtheenth Directorate, Capital Laundry Services, Garda Unit for the Bizarre and Unprecedented, and other names which are varying degrees of obvious. If you want to play with it and find something more inventive, go ahead.
    Hmmm....
    Erikoissuojelupoliisi ([Finnish] Special Security Intelligence Service, literal translation "[Finland's] special protection police")? This is actually a small variation of the actual Finnish Security Intelligence Service (Suojelupoliisi), trying to keep it as vague as possible to the public, you know
    Edit: oh, and an abbreviation to this would probably be "Erisupo" or "Esupo", Suojelupoliisi itself is called Supo in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Pronounciation is nice but not necessary - I doubt my Russian/Gaelic/Mandarin/whatever sounds particularly good and it's not likely to come up other than in passing. I'm just trying to
    Come on, you left your sentence in a cliffhanger!
    Last edited by FinnLassie; Yesterday at 04:16 AM.
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!


    PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Come on, you left your sentence in a cliffhanger!
    Embarrassing. That's what you get when you can't write a single post starting at one end and ending at the other, but jump back and forth and rewrite and change what you're going to say while writing and don't bother to check the finished product before posting.

    In short, it's just world building and I want sensible names for things. I could just come up with whatever names I think are appropriate in English and Norwegian, and my players aren't likely to ever see anything in writing, but it's more fun this way.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FinnLassie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Alba

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Embarrassing. That's what you get when you can't write a single post starting at one end and ending at the other, but jump back and forth and rewrite and change what you're going to say while writing and don't bother to check the finished product before posting.

    In short, it's just world building and I want sensible names for things. I could just come up with whatever names I think are appropriate in English and Norwegian, and my players aren't likely to ever see anything in writing, but it's more fun this way.
    Heh, happens to me a lot, so no worries.

    Aye, I prefer doing the same thing, really. Personally for the Finnish name I'd recommend the Erikoissuojelupoliisi, because it references an actual Finnish unit and brings a funny flare to the whole deal (in my opinion).
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!


    PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Erikoissuojelupoliisi
    Typical Finnish word. They don't think a word is grown-up and ready to face the world unless it has at least 15 syllables.
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SeptimusFabrius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Immeasurable Void

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Typical Finnish word. They don't think a word is grown-up and ready to face the world unless it has at least 15 syllables.
    Yes, but trust me, Finnish has nothing on some of the indigenous language of the Americas. Polysynthesis, I'm looking at you...
    Avatar by the awesome linkele, upon whom all glory should be bestowed!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    FinnLassie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Alba

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    Hey, Erityissuojelupoliisi only has nine syllables!
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!


    PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders

    *shrug*

    Sometimes they escape early.

    On the great word-farms of Savolax, words are raised to a life in virtual slavery. From the moment they are old enough to walk, they are taken for a daily sprint to keep them fresh and elastic. Then, on a spring night, they take the words down to the slaughter-house, and one by one... *snickt* The screaming is horrible.

    Tell me FinnLassie, have the words stopped screaming?
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •