New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The 5E DIY Dungeon Mastery Challenge #1: Make a Monster!

well that will be interesting to see if they change that with the DMG since a Gar creature considers a small creature to be fine, let alone a tiny creature, there are always more sizes, ans you have to remember that to adjust damage and so forth, if these become tiny creature now they would need allot more health for one plus several other things, and i dint have time to write the scales in
    Reality is my clay, Imagination my tools.

Always have an idea on hand.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by infinitetech View Post
    *snip* a Gar creature considers a small creature to be fine, let alone a tiny creature *snip*
    It looks like all of the rules for inter-size combat refer to difference in size rather than absolute size. Therefore, the rules for fighting a small creature as a medium creature vs. the rules for fighting a small creature as a gargantuan creature should be the same, except you use an adjusted size difference (ie. a difference of 5 size categories instead of 2). Presumably the rules for fighting as a non-medium creature will be in the DMG.

*snip* if these become tiny creature now they would need allot more health for one plus several other things, and i dint have time to write the scales in
    The difference in size between two combatants doesn't change the stats of a creature. A small creature fighting a medium creature has the same health fighting a gargantuan creature. Or were you saying that you need to change your homebrew to have stats reflective of its size?
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    It looks like all of the rules for inter-size combat refer to difference in size rather than absolute size. Therefore, the rules for fighting a small creature as a medium creature vs. the rules for fighting a small creature as a gargantuan creature should be the same, except you use an adjusted size difference (ie. a difference of 5 size categories instead of 2). Presumably the rules for fighting as a non-medium creature will be in the DMG.

The difference in size between two combatants doesn't change the stats of a creature. A small creature fighting a medium creature has the same health fighting a gargantuan creature. Or were you saying that you need to change your homebrew to have stats reflective of its size?
    correct, though they have in previous editions (not sure on 4) always had down to fine and up to colossal, tho there used to be more sizes too, but those were never really used, and yes, i would need to adjust a few things based on what that means health wise and so on, this was my first somewhat fully fleshed 5e creature that i did pretty much by myself, so im surprised i got it as well done as i did lol

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm working on my feedback/ votes, I will hopefully have it done tonight but I've been busy with work and with trying to whip up a cosplay for the League of Legends world championship party on Saturday.
    For playable monster adventurers who would attract more than a few glances at the local tavern, check out my homebrew monster races!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

btw how do you vote??

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

btw how do you vote??
    Basically, write your review and then if you think an entry deserves a particular reward, list that either at the top or bottom of your review along with an explanation of why. Be sure to bold your vote.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

correct, though they have in previous editions (not sure on 4) always had down to fine and up to colossal, tho there used to be more sizes too, but those were never really used, and yes, i would need to adjust a few things based on what that means health wise and so on, this was my first somewhat fully fleshed 5e creature that i did pretty much by myself, so im surprised i got it as well done as i did lol
    4e also had Tiny-Gargantuan. Look, your monster should just be Tiny if you want it to be a 5e monster, okay?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #68

It looks like I'm the only one voting here. Here're my votes:

I Just Like it. Dire_Stirge
    The Carrion Lord is a fun idea, and well executed to boot.

Usability. infinitetech
    Full stat blocks, good verisimilitude with the rest of D&D fauna. Overall, nice work.

The Spirit of the Competition. Dire_Stirge
    I can definitely see a climactic boss fight with this baddie on the field. Much better than the over-done Lich King.

I Wish I had Thought of That! Gnomes2169
    That backstory is AMAZING. Just puttin' it out there. Please keep us updated as you continue working on this setting.

Aaand Dire takes the lead, with a whopping 1-point advantage!While I'm losing...
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal

Full Signature

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Can't believe I didn't vote! I'd have sworn I did.

A bit late, but still:

I just like it. jkat718

The idea of giant man-eating plants is classic, but these are executed very well. The growth stages and harvestable poison are a nice touch.

Usability. jkat718

A little refluffing and those plants range from rafflesia-sized jungle plants to clumps of tundra lichen. That allows me to use those no matter where the campaign takes place. On top of that, a quest where the PC's have to search for poison (difficult, as the plants are endangered) comes to mind.

The spirit of the competition. Gnomes2169

The wildcards are interestingly used and plentiful, and these guys' stance would make for a really interesting fight. Definitely something I'd use.

I wish I had thought of that! infinitetech

Paper dragons with arcane formulas scribed on their flying forms? Yes please.

Wow, looks like everyone has 2 votes now. We need a tiebreaker, people!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I just like it. jkat718

The idea of giant man-eating plants is classic, but these are executed very well. The growth stages and harvestable poison are a nice touch.

Usability. jkat718

A little refluffing and those plants range from rafflesia-sized jungle plants to clumps of tundra lichen. That allows me to use those no matter where the campaign takes place. On top of that, a quest where the PC's have to search for poison (difficult, as the plants are endangered) comes to mind.
    Thanks, Dire! Yeah, I've always wanted some more Plant types in the game, and I'm actually kinda surprised that flytraps haven't made it into the Monster Manual by now. Now to think up some way to shoehorn this into my campaign somehow...

Wow, looks like everyone has 2 votes now. We need a tiebreaker, people!
    Whoa, look at this amazing coincidence!
    Last edited by jkat718; 2014-10-24 at 11:05 PM.
    Show

Full Signature

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Now to think up some way to shoehorn this into my campaign somehow...
    -Local mage/druid/priest needs a bit of the poison for his newest spell. Bonus points if he's a bad guy and the new spell turns out to be a huge pain in the ass.
    -Crazed druid tries to make the flytraps a common and huge species again, except he's... modifying them to be more resilient.
    -Random plant eats random rogue as party makes their way through random area.
    -The final boss of the dungeon is defeated. As he falls down, he shouts: 'THIS IS MY TRUE FORM!' and transforms into a giant flytrap.
    -Large horde of zombies need to be lured into the forest, where those plants will eat them, making them a non-threat for the villagers. Plants vs. Zombies!
    -People are rising as undead giant flytraps when they die.

Happy to help.

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

I just like it: Dire_stirge
    The work and obvious amounts of awesome that went into the Carrion Lord is what wins him this reward. A powerhouse of a creature with some strong fluff, I approve of it heartily.

Usability: jkat718
    Very easily the most usable of all the entries, the venus fly traps are the best entry for this category.

Spirit of the competition: Jkat718
    Once again, the usability of the entry makes the creature fit the spirit most in my mind, as these creatures are meant to be actually used in-campaign.

I wish I had thought of that!: Dire_Stirge
    Once again, the creature is just pure awesome, and I wish I had thought of some kind of plant of my own to use, or at least that I had stated out one of the named Voidwalkers I had mentioned in my post...

13. - Top - End - #73

*snipped campaign ideas*

Happy to help.
    LOL, thanks Dire! I actually did LOL at the "THIS...is my final form" idea. Kudos to you! I think I might use the crazed Druid idea, it fits well with the Druid NPC I have. He was going to be a Drow's rights advocate, but Venus flytraps are much funnier. He'll just plant a bunch in his forest, and when the PCs have to go get rid of them, he'll chase them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomes2169 View Post
    Usability: jkat718
    Very easily the most usable of all the entries, the venus fly traps are the best entry for this category.

Spirit of the competition: Jkat718
    Once again, the usability of the entry makes the creature fit the spirit most in my mind, as these creatures are meant to be actually used in-campaign.
    Thank you, Gnomes! I'm glad you like my flytraps!
    Show

Full Signature

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

ijli: Dire_Stirge
    this creature is like many bosses that i have enjoyed playing or fighting over the years
    use: Gnomes2169
    close race with the fly traps, but the summonablity, availability in different area types, and option for another race to interact with/play as is just too multipurpose
    tsoc: jkat718
    this creature set harkens back to the old styles while keeping the new flavor, it would be great for random encounters or a plot twist, it is highly useable and yet easily adaptable due to its simplicity, thus good for multiple run-ins/campaigns
    iwihtot: Dire_Stirge
    i was previously unaware of the lair/legendary type moves, i did not play 4 aside from one painful game, these types of effects would have been of great use for my dragons (which will be improved in the future under their own home brew page)

sorry, i thought i had posted ages ago, must have been when i crashed my laptop before, sorry

15. - Top - End - #75

tsoc: jkat718
    this creature set harkens back to the old styles while keeping the new flavor, it would be great for random encounters or a plot twist, it is highly useable and yet easily adaptable due to its simplicity, thus good for multiple run-ins/campaigns
    Thanks, infinite! I tried to bring what little knowledge I have of old school D&D to the flytrap, given that 5e is the "back to basics" 50th 40th anniversary edition. I'm glad you think it shows.

By my count, here are the rankings so far:
    Dire_Stirge: 6
    jkat718: 5
    Gnomes2169: 3
    infinitetech: 2
    Last edited by jkat718; 2014-10-28 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added rankings
    Show

Full Signature

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

jkat, also i think that there was a flytrap under the name maneater plant or something like that back in OD&D dragon mag, i think, you might be able to find it if you read through the old archives at ANNARCHIVES.com (my scource for the paper dragon original txt)

17. - Top - End - #77

Dragon Magazine #167 has a flytrap-esque plant, the Bladderwort, as well as the flypaper-like Butterwort. Both are kind of funny, and might be worth porting to 5e. Unfortunately, I have little experience with the OD&D monster rules, and as such am probably not the best suited for the task.
    Show

Full Signature

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

yeah, the OD&D stuff is awesome but translating it was a pain haha

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

50th anniversary edition.
    Don't you mean 40th?

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #80

Don't you mean 40th?
    Whoops. Guess I'm still subconsciously celebrating Doctor Who's 50th anniversary.
    Show

Full Signature

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops. Guess I'm still subconsciously celebrating Doctor Who's 50th anniversary.
    I approve heartily.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

whovians forever

| //|||\\\ |
    | /
    ||||\ |
    ##POLICE##
    #@@#@@#
    ########
    #@@#@@#
    ########
    ########
    ########
    #
    $$$#####
    #
    $$$###*#
    #
    $$$#####
    ########
    ########
    ########

&&&&&&&&&&

23. - Top - End - #83

Ooh, goody! Whovians!
    Show

Full Signature

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

#misssed oportunity, i should have made a tardis mimic 8-O

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Bump? I'd like to see someone not participating voting.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we may have gotten all of our votes now...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

this just didnt have the best turn out due to schedules unfortunately