New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Climbing question

My PC's are aboard a ship, and one of them is up in the fighting tops. While reading the climbing rules to see how people can get up to and down from them, I wondered whether or not one can, by RAW, "run" while climbing.

And if you can, since you grant CA anyways, there seems to be no reason not to "run" to get more climb speed by RAW.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing question

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    My PC's are aboard a ship, and one of them is up in the fighting tops. While reading the climbing rules to see how people can get up to and down from them, I wondered whether or not one can, by RAW, "run" while climbing.

And if you can, since you grant CA anyways, there seems to be no reason not to "run" to get more climb speed by RAW.
    This seems like a good candidate for the Dysfunctional 4e RAW thread the Playground occasionally considers making. The language is clear enough: climbing "can be part of any of the creature’s actions that involve the creature moving", and running is both a move action and an action that involves moving. There is one other penalty to running, which is the attack penalty until your next turn, but that probably won't have much effect.

Outside RAW, well, it'd be easy enough to levy a penalty to all relevant Athletics checks, either -2 if you want simple and cinematic or -5 if you want something more realistic. But considering it's 4e and everyone's a hero (nearly a paragon in your game's case), I don't think I'd bother, personally. Even the "mundane" characters are way beyond normal. Let 'em be. *shrug*
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Climbing question

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Outside RAW, well, it'd be easy enough to levy a penalty to all relevant Athletics checks, either -2 if you want simple and cinematic or -5 if you want something more realistic. But considering it's 4e and everyone's a hero (nearly a paragon in your game's case), I don't think I'd bother, personally. Even the "mundane" characters are way beyond normal. Let 'em be. *shrug*
    I wasn't planning to do anything about it, for the reasons you stated. Asking more out of curiosity.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-09-30 at 11:51 PM.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]