Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 627
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    If you are playing a caster you are already not keeping it simple :p

    Don't worry too much about healing in combat, at least at and above level 3 (and really before that but it just depends). Killing things or helping to kill things works great at very low levels and will save more effective HP than you relatively healing a target.

    Bless is a really great spell. You could cast this and then hide/stay out of the way.

    Ok so here is one of my favorite combos in the game. This is for when you have a long-ish fight ahead of you. Pick up a shield (Str 12 helps here) and your AC in light armor will be 11 (or 12) + Dex (3) + 2... So not bad. That +1 Wis/+1Dex at level 4 will help with this combo.

    Cast Bless before or right at the start of battle. This is concentration.

    Cast Sanctuary in yourself, this is not concentration, move up and use the Help Action on enemies.

    Fluff this as you talking to the enemy about really innapropiate stuff or perhaps you are waving your hands in the creature's face (in not touching you, I'm not touching you). Help Action doesn't break the sanctuary by raw (though your DM may decide it does).

    If the sanctuary breaks then just action:disengage and go hide and help with ranged combat tactics (arrows or sacred flame).
    I'm quickly figuring out using a caster can be quite complex but my DM said having a cleric was basically necessary and everyone else wanted to be a rogue at the time, so I said I would do it. Since then people changed their minds and now we have a cleric (me), a rogue, a fighter, a wizard, possibly another cleric, and possibly another rogue. I have a feeling it will be an interesting party.

    That sounds like quite a hilarious tactic, I'll have to try it.

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    I'm quickly figuring out using a caster can be quite complex but my DM said having a cleric was basically necessary and everyone else wanted to be a rogue at the time, so I said I would do it. Since then people changed their minds and now we have a cleric (me), a rogue, a fighter, a wizard, possibly another cleric, and possibly another rogue. I have a feeling it will be an interesting party.

    That sounds like quite a hilarious tactic, I'll have to try it.
    Random Note: Having a cleric hasn't be a necessary in a party since... Forever. Unless the DM has plot points arou d a PC being a cleric they are actually less needed in 5e than before (in the form of healers and or buffers as other classes do well enough or the game doesn't need you to have a lot of it).

    That being said, the Cleric is one of the most build versitile, versitile, and powerful classes in the game. Having one or more can really only help a party out.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Random Note: Having a cleric hasn't be a necessary in a party since... Forever. Unless the DM has plot points arou d a PC being a cleric they are actually less needed in 5e than before (in the form of healers and or buffers as other classes do well enough or the game doesn't need you to have a lot of it).

    That being said, the Cleric is one of the most build versitile, versitile, and powerful classes in the game. Having one or more can really only help a party out.
    I don't know his plans, just he what he said. While I haven't explored the other classes in depth it does seem that the Cleric is only limited by the stereotype that the name conjures in ones mind. I had thought it was mostly about healing, wearing dresses (aka robes), and preaching but what I've got is an stealthy elf that's good at stabbing baddies or turning them into reluctant lightbulbs, while still being able to heal his friends.

    He also said I could use the 3rd highest standard stat for Con, which is 13, which would make adding a the Resilience feature for Con a strong option down the road from what I've read. I'm feeling pretty good about what I've got and where I'm going. +1 Wis/+1 Dex, Warcaster, and Resilience (Con) in some order look like they'll be my choices. Now I just have to hope I don't die before I get to fly and shoot lightning.

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    I don't know his plans, just he what he said. While I haven't explored the other classes in depth it does seem that the Cleric is only limited by the stereotype that the name conjures in ones mind. I had thought it was mostly about healing, wearing dresses (aka robes), and preaching but what I've got is an stealthy elf that's good at stabbing baddies or turning them into reluctant lightbulbs, while still being able to heal his friends.

    He also said I could use the 3rd highest standard stat for Con, which is 13, which would make adding a the Resilience feature for Con a strong option down the road from what I've read. I'm feeling pretty good about what I've got and where I'm going. +1 Wis/+1 Dex, Warcaster, and Resilience (Con) in some order look like they'll be my choices. Now I just have to hope I don't die before I get to fly and shoot lightning.
    Since at least 3e clerics have always been the face bashing party helping packets of awesomesauce. People tend to equate them to White Mages when they really have never been that since WotC got a hold of them.

    My first 3e character was a cleric because "we need a healer", I had awesome stats and ended up playing a god character. I didn't even try to optimize.

    They really need to bring back comet fall or whatever that spell was...

    I hope you have fun and remember there is almost a countless number of ways to make a cleric, if this one doesn't strike your fancy there there are tons of more builds.

    Half-Orc light cleric makes for a real fun time.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Euphonistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Actually clerics have been great at buffing themselves to being really good at melee for a long time. In AD&D they were very good at it. The problem was that it was so difficult to do that when everybody REALLY needed you to heal them all the time. Also action costs were bad back then. Any time you needed to heal or be decent/good in combat you had to give up a round or more to do it. Today you can get spells that do not prevent you from attacking (healing word to bring people back) or they were made more signifcant (bless giving a +1 to hit is far more useful in 5e than it was back in AD&D where casting the spell during combat was likely not worth it outside of niche situations or low levels).

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Looking for help with a death cleric build. New game starting at level 3, point buy, other party members eagle totem barbarian, dragon sorc, unknown and me. Maybe one other but not sure.

    Was looking to VHuman with the caster stats of 16W, 16Con, 14D, 10I, 8S, 8Cha not sure what feat to take given the high con. LG cleric of Kelemvor. Background Acolyte.

    Little bit of background and some house ruling done. He is a member of the Right Arm of Kelemvor. This sect is charged with killing of evil to maintain balance. The other is the Left Arm...(depicting through left and right side of the scale that represents Kelemvor)

    Houserule: He does not "animate undead" he gives spirits the chance at a better part of their afterlife if they serve him for a bit. They are "raised" as a spiritual being with a purple\gold glow and use the stats of either the skeleton or ghoul as per the spell.

    Question on melee touch attacks. What are they based on?
    I'm looking for feat and spell advice per level and any other advice you may have. Thanks.
    Last edited by OzDragon; 2016-02-09 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Thought so something new.

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by SpawnOfMorbo View Post
    Since at least 3e clerics have always been the face bashing party helping packets of awesomesauce. People tend to equate them to White Mages when they really have never been that since WotC got a hold of them.

    My first 3e character was a cleric because "we need a healer", I had awesome stats and ended up playing a god character. I didn't even try to optimize.

    They really need to bring back comet fall or whatever that spell was...

    I hope you have fun and remember there is almost a countless number of ways to make a cleric, if this one doesn't strike your fancy there there are tons of more builds.

    Half-Orc light cleric makes for a real fun time.
    Arcana clerics can have Meteor Swarm as a domain spell, so there ya go.

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by McNinja View Post
    Arcana clerics can have Meteor Swarm as a domain spell, so there ya go.
    so do we all agree this is the most absurdly broken subclass from scag? considering it completely removes the clerics main weakness, spell levels 6-9 being all around garbage, and replaces it with the most powerful spell in the game bar maybe wish.

    However cometfall does REALLY need to come back, being able to knock everyone prone and deal good damage was kinda sorta the best thing ever.
    recap

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by recapdrake View Post
    so do we all agree this is the most absurdly broken subclass from scag? considering it completely removes the clerics main weakness, spell levels 6-9 being all around garbage, and replaces it with the most powerful spell in the game bar maybe wish.

    However cometfall does REALLY need to come back, being able to knock everyone prone and deal good damage was kinda sorta the best thing ever.
    Honestly, I don't think it's the most broken. The point of the cleric was never to be a blaster, and besides that the arcana cleric does have a pretty hefty "turn xx creature" archetype tax. Bladesingers and their 27 AC or the Storm Sorcerers and their immunity to both thunder and lightning + at will 60ft flight give meteor swarm/foresight arcana clerics a run for their money

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Hi OP.
    Thanks for the interesting guide.
    There is one part that really saddened me though, so I'd like to bring my arguments there: the Trickery domain.

    As a pure class
    Domain spells
    you could add Polymorph in one of the great spells that a Cleric couldn't have otherwise.

    Blessing of the Trickster
    It's seriously astonishing that you put it red because "you don't get anything else weapon-related". Did you only read it? IT'S NOT FOR YOU, IT'S FOR OTHERS!!!
    Sure, you can't use it on you. Sad. But you give anyone in your party, FREELY, advantage on Stealth. Meaning you're a great asset for any group that want to go stealth, or just a friendly Assassin that want to prepare his strike. For a whole hour, concentration-free.

    This is basically the best "free" single-person buff any Cleric (maybe any class) could provide as soon as lvl1.
    This should be rated black at worst.
    (You want to challenge a party? Bring a pair of NPC multiclass Trickster Cleric / Rogue / anything (Monk? Sorcerer?), both giving each other advantage on Stealth ^^).

    Invoke Duplicity
    Most people seems to underrate this ability. Sure, it eats your concentration and require your bonus action to move: it's costly (I would have love either one of these drawbacks to be removed ^^).
    But it's still very useful.
    First, it is basically a permanent, immuable range extend of 120 feet for all your spells, including Touch ones. Meaning you can stay much further from the front while still casting any and every spell. It also means you could use Cure Wounds instead of Healing Word if you need a more potent healing.
    Second, giving advantage against near enemy means you can be as decent as attacking with a ranged weapon attack as other domains with melee weapon attacks.

    Cloak of Shadows
    Technically, it ceases only if you cast a spell or attack. Meaning that you could cast a spell that acts again with an action (such as Spiritual Weapons ) or acts without you needing anything (Spirit Guardians) then Vanish.
    (Although, Spirit Guardians is not a good choice here since they basically give your position away ^^).
    It could also be a good way to go through enemy ranks and go help a pal, or anything else.

    Divine Strike
    No argument here alas.
    Poison in itself is broken in a bad way anyways in 5e. It should have been a save or suck effect...

    Improved Duplicity
    Lacklusting feature for a 17th lvl, but it still has it uses (you could even use those just for intimidation ^^).

    This works wonder as a multiclass though, with Rogue being the most obvious one (SA needs advantage) closely followed by Fighter (no concurrence on bonus action), and Druid or any spellcaster with strong debuffs being the other one. :)
    Last edited by Citan; 2016-02-09 at 09:22 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    Question on melee touch attacks. What are they based on?
    Melee spell attacks use your spell attack bonus to hit, which for you will be Wis + Proficiency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    you could add Polymorph in one of the great spells that a Cleric couldn't have otherwise.
    This is a good point, I'll make a note of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Blessing of the Trickster
    It's seriously astonishing that you put it red because "you don't get anything else weapon-related".
    That's not what I said. I said it's red because of opportunity cost. This takes up a class-feature slot that could have been something better. As a feature on its own merits it's fine, and if it had been there in addition to martial weapon proficiencies, or even just rapier and heavy crossbow proficiencies, or if this domain had had Potent Cantrip I would have given it a much better rating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Invoke Duplicity
    There are a lot of great things about this, but there are also a ton of drawbacks. I'm going to stand by my rating on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    This works wonder as a multiclass though, with Rogue being the most obvious one (SA needs advantage) closely followed by Fighter (no concurrence on bonus action), and Druid or any spellcaster with strong debuffs being the other one. :)
    I agree that it works much better multiclassed, and note as such several times in the guide.

    Don't get me wrong on Trickster- it's still quite playable, and I assume fun. It's just worse than most of the other domains, especially from a synergy standpoint.

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    May 2014

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    If it had been there in addition to martial weapon proficiencies, or even just rapier and heavy crossbow proficiencies, or if this domain had had Potent Cantrip I would have given it a much better rating.
    You know, I've been toying with trickery domain tweaks for a while, and I've been thinking of not only shifting them to Potent Cantrip, but also granting them Poison Spray at 1st level. Does that feel reasonable?

    It seems to retain the flavor without being as horrendously all over the road in terms of intended role.
    My homebrew: A list of 5e homebrew magitech augments found here, a homebrew race of devil-toads here, and the Professional, an all mundane support class. Criticism is much appreciated!

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    You know, I've been toying with trickery domain tweaks for a while, and I've been thinking of not only shifting them to Potent Cantrip, but also granting them Poison Spray at 1st level. Does that feel reasonable?

    It seems to retain the flavor without being as horrendously all over the road in terms of intended role.
    Absolutely. Alternatively give them Rogue weapon proficiencies at level one. Either really works.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Wanted to say thanks a lot for This Guide. The thread that spawned from it was a very good read as well.

    Do have a question or 2 though.

    I Just started playing with an entire new group of players. All New to the game. I rerolled Cleric after 3 sessions and rolled insane. 18 17 16 16 15 15. Dm's look was priceless!

    I went with an arcana build hermit vhuman.
    19str 18wis 16con 16int 15cha and 15dex. With warcaster feat and chose gfb and bb as cantrips. I had This thing in mind after reading your multiclass tips that dipping Fighter would Give me all his profs. But it Just Gives me Martial Weapons and ofc the feats. (Maybe change that in your guide?)

    Is it still worth to dip Fighter (with dueling or protection) and take the heavy armor prof. feat (also maxxes out str) so i can get at 20AC and a warhammer for the d8. And if so would you go 2 for Action surge or 3 even for maybe eldritch?

    What are your feelings towards dipping Ranger since you also get Martial Weapons + a skill?

    Besides that it looks like a very cool build with maxing str con and wis at lvl 20 with resilient, observant. Or maybe 20str, 20wis, 18con and picking up an extra feat at 20.

    On my Action with dueling the dmg will amount to 24 - 73 with gfb when there are 2 targets. ( 16 - 44 / 8 - 29).

    Hope you guys can help me with the final tweaking!
    Last edited by Dregneck; 2016-03-05 at 08:39 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dregneck View Post
    Wanted to say thanks a lot for This Guide. The thread that spawned from it was a very good read as well.
    You're welcome! Glad to be of help! I'm not actually sure what other thread you're referring to, though. Link please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dregneck View Post
    I had This thing in mind after reading your multiclass tips that dipping Fighter would Give me all his profs. But it Just Gives me Martial Weapons and ofc the feats. (Maybe change that in your guide?)
    You only get the full proficiencies if you take fighter first. I'll edit to clarify that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dregneck View Post
    Is it still worth to dip Fighter (with dueling or protection) and take the heavy armor prof. feat (also maxxes out str) so i can get at 20AC and a warhammer for the d8. And if so would you go 2 for Action surge or 3 even for maybe eldritch?
    I'd say stick with the Fighter but don't blow the feat and just stay in Medium Armor. You're one point behind Full Plate and since your build is slightly MAD (Wis, Str, Con) even with your great rolls you're going to want to keep your ability scores up. Also Warcaster and Resilient (Con) are attractive for casters in melee. Going all the way to EK at three is certainly viable, and with your build perhaps even advisable. Just keep in mind EK uses Int for spells.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dregneck View Post
    What are your feelings towards dipping Ranger since you also get Martial Weapons + a skill?
    Is that bonus skill worth the lack of action surge? Usually not, but that's your decision.

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Just finished our campaign after a year-and-a-half with my cleric at 18th level. One point on holy aura. Your allies only have to be within 30 feet when you cast the spell to gain the benefits for the duration.

    Quote Originally Posted by SRD5
    Divine light washes out from you and coalesces in a soft radiance in a 30-foot radius around you. Creatures of your choice in that radius when you cast this spell shed dim light in a 5-*foot radius and have advantage on all saving throws, and other creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against them until the spell ends.
    IME, the spell easily gets a sky blue rating. In our final confrontation against the campaign's ultimate BBEG and his minions, we were at a severe action economy deficit and the environment conspired to expose us to a lot of magical and physical attacks every round in a battle that went 9 or 10 rounds. It was a very close fight anyway, with all but one PC unconscious, dead or on another plane (me, and only because I rolled a 20 on a death save), and with me having used mass heal, heal, and multiple mass cure wounds at various slot levels, but holy aura turned literally dozens of hits into misses, critical hits into misses, and failed saving throws into saves. It easily mitigated more than a thousand points of damage, probably way more than that with AoEs taken into account, plus the nasty effects failed saves would have caused on the save-or-sucks. Everyone pretty much agreed we wouldn't have survived half the battle without the spell.

    In some ways, the encounter was made for the spell, because I was taking a lot of attacks but was able to avoid single big-damage attacks. As a result, with Resilient (Con) and advantage from holy aura, I was able to keep the spell up for the whole battle. I did have to cower behind cover a lot to avoid the big-hitting magical attacks, but that was okay because my role was really only to keep the spell up and react with heals and dispels.

    Anyway, just wanted to add the correction and point out that it's an extremely potent defensive buff in high-level combats.
    Last edited by Finieous; 2016-03-05 at 11:35 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Finieous View Post
    One point on holy aura. Your allies only have to be within 30 feet when you cast the spell to gain the benefits for the duration.

    IME, the spell easily gets a sky blue rating.
    Good call! I guess I didn't read it closely enough when I was first putting together the spell section for the guide. Making the edit now.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    One thing you might change is to mark Destructive Wrath in the Tempest Domain as sky blue, since it can quite substantially increase your damage output (Booming Blade at L14 with Divine Strike can do 32 thunder damage outright), Channel Divinity is recharged after a short rest which is commonly taken after small encounters when you may only have 2 turns anyways, and it lets you implement it after you know an attack has hit or missed (you use it instead of rolling damage dice).

    Also for anyone wanting to get Booming Blade and/or Shocking Grasp that is interested in multiclassing with the Rogue, you can take the Arcane Trickster archetype at the 3rd level giving you Mage Hand, two wizard cantrips of your choice, and a few useful 1st level spells (one of your choice, one enchantment spell and one illusion).
    Last edited by Thankee Sai; 2016-03-09 at 11:24 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    One thing you might change is to mark Destructive Wrath in the Tempest Domain as sky blue, since it can quite substantially increase your damage output (Booming Blade at L14 with Divine Strike can do 32 thunder damage outright), Channel Divinity is recharged after a short rest which is commonly taken after small encounters when you may only have 2 turns anyways, and it lets you implement it after you know an attack has hit or missed (you use it instead of rolling damage dice).

    Also for anyone wanting to get Booming Blade and/or Shocking Grasp that is interested in multiclassing with the Rogue, you can take the Arcane Trickster archetype at the 3rd level giving you Mage Hand, two wizard cantrips of your choice, and a few useful 1st level spells (one of your choice, one enchantment spell and one illusion).
    I'm not sure Booming Blade alone is worth pushing Destructive Wrath up to Sky Blue, but you've reminded me to definitely mention BB in the Tempest section.

    edit: in retrospect, other than Destructive Wrath the Tempest domain doesn't actually synergize with BB. And there are better uses of Destructive Wrath. Bummer.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2016-03-09 at 03:04 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    One thing you might change is to mark Destructive Wrath in the Tempest Domain as sky blue, since it can quite substantially increase your damage output (Booming Blade at L14 with Divine Strike can do 32 thunder damage outright), Channel Divinity is recharged after a short rest which is commonly taken after small encounters when you may only have 2 turns anyways, and it lets you implement it after you know an attack has hit or missed (you use it instead of rolling damage dice).

    Also for anyone wanting to get Booming Blade and/or Shocking Grasp that is interested in multiclassing with the Rogue, you can take the Arcane Trickster archetype at the 3rd level giving you Mage Hand, two wizard cantrips of your choice, and a few useful 1st level spells (one of your choice, one enchantment spell and one illusion).
    The problem with this is that the Arcane Trickster's casting stat is Intelligence and not Wisdom. Both cantrips are useful no doubt, but simply picking up Magic Initiate will grant you both of those cantrips and a level 1 spell as well (will still be based off Intelligence or Charisma, but you get the idea).
    Be excellent to each other.

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    I'm not sure Booming Blade alone is worth pushing Destructive Wrath up to Sky Blue, but you've reminded me to definitely mention BB in the Tempest section.

    edit: in retrospect, other than Destructive Wrath the Tempest domain doesn't actually synergize with BB. And there are better uses of Destructive Wrath. Bummer.
    The fact that Destructive Wrath can also be used effectively with Thunderwave, Shatter, Destructive Wave, and more only further it's usefulness. Max damage against a group of enemies is pretty cool.

    For a close range, melee tempest cleric, Booming Blade acts as an outright addition to the damage you can do per turn, as well as offering a movement limitation or even more damage dealt. Given that the cleric only gets one attack (except War domain which has it as a bonus action not as an addition to the attack action) it offers a nice improvement to the players non-spell combat ability. I mean an extra 2d8 isn't insignificant, maybe not ground breaking but certainly nice and it doesn't cost you anything either except whatever you sacrifice to get the cantrip.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggstick View Post
    The problem with this is that the Arcane Trickster's casting stat is Intelligence and not Wisdom. Both cantrips are useful no doubt, but simply picking up Magic Initiate will grant you both of those cantrips and a level 1 spell as well (will still be based off Intelligence or Charisma, but you get the idea).
    You are correct but Booming Blade only requires a regular weapon attack and doesn't depend in any way on the casting stats of the user. Shocking Hand is hindered by that fact however but does get advantage automatically against foes wearing armor automagically, which helps.

    Also Booming Blade does synergize quite well with the tempest cleric/rogue, as you can attack and then Disengage as a bonus action. If they follow they take the additional damage that Booming Blade creates.

    Also with the Arcane Trickster you get Mage Hand with a number of cool features added (it's invisible, can be used as a bonus action, can do extra stuff), you also get three first level spells that you can use as much as you want, versus once a day. Some options include, Shield (Reaction +5 bonus to AC for a round), Find Familiar (So many cool things), Silent Image (Nice illusion spell), and more. Sadly you only can get Shield or Find Familiar and the enchantment spells are tied to Int so are less useful but still nice additions.

    I guess it depends on if you think the additional spells are a better option than going with the Assassin archetype and the Magic Initiate feat (if you want to multiclass with the Rogue and want Booming Blade).

    The main reason I like it is that it simply acts as straight up addition to the damage you can deal, as well as a limitation on enemy movement (or even more damage dealt).
    Last edited by Thankee Sai; 2016-03-09 at 05:15 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Note that the cunning action/booming blade combo is a bit wasted on tempest clerics as once they hit level 6 they can knock back enemies with booming blade. This is arguably quite a bit better for booming blade and doesn't require a bonus action (though cunning action has other utility of course). I'd probably just take magic initiate or a 1 level multiclass. 3 levels of spellcasting goodness is kinda a lot.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    Note that the cunning action/booming blade combo is a bit wasted on tempest clerics as once they hit level 6 they can knock back enemies with booming blade. This is arguably quite a bit better for booming blade and doesn't require a bonus action (though cunning action has other utility of course). I'd probably just take magic initiate or a 1 level multiclass. 3 levels of spellcasting goodness is kinda a lot.
    Booming Blade is thunder damage which doesn't work with Thunderbolt Strike as it only triggers with lightning damage.

    You do loose a 3 high end spell slots, a use of Channel Divinity, and an ability score increase, so it definitely isn't a decision to take lightly.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    stuff
    Don't get me wrong- it's a great class feature. But its limited in terms of number of uses. So it's a solid blue, but not sky blue.

    Similarly, it sounds like you've got a fun and strong build. I like Rogue dips on all sorts of classes. But it's not so powerful of a build as to be normative, and thus the advice in the guide isn't going to address that specific build.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Thankee Sai View Post
    Booming Blade is thunder damage which doesn't work with Thunderbolt Strike as it only triggers with lightning damage.

    You do loose a 3 high end spell slots, a use of Channel Divinity, and an ability score increase, so it definitely isn't a decision to take lightly.
    Wow, I have misread that so many times!

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Don't get me wrong- it's a great class feature. But its limited in terms of number of uses. So it's a solid blue, but not sky blue.

    Similarly, it sounds like you've got a fun and strong build. I like Rogue dips on all sorts of classes. But it's not so powerful of a build as to be normative, and thus the advice in the guide isn't going to address that specific build.
    Destructive Wrath + Multiclass into Sorc (posted about this build months ago, see it everywhere now) = some of the most reliable blasting in the game.

    Maximized Chromatic Orb = death extreme. Full spell casting slot progression means you're dropping huge single target and AoE damage numbers from CO + Call Lightning/Shatter.

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    I feel kinda stupid for asking this.
    But Lovissa my tiefling cleric turned level 5 and I totaly forgot everything about cleric builds. .....

    So now that she is level 5 how many prepared spells can she have in spell level 1 , 2 and 3 ? ( i know that when she was level 1 she had like 7 prepared spells not counting the life domain spells)

    SO i would really likea little help with setting her up for level 5 ( i am making her kinda a healing tank, She has 20 Ac and that spell that can give you 2 ac extra) ( i did this so she can take some whopping and also dish it out if needed.


    And i kinda need to know before tommorow when i am playing an Epic with her ( also the organiser asked me to also bring her as a level 11 Incase of severe world ending emeegencies and well ........getting her set up as a level 11 , brings even more trouble for me :S )

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Tibbletoad View Post
    I feel kinda stupid for asking this.
    But Lovissa my tiefling cleric turned level 5 and I totaly forgot everything about cleric builds. .....

    So now that she is level 5 how many prepared spells can she have in spell level 1 , 2 and 3 ? ( i know that when she was level 1 she had like 7 prepared spells not counting the life domain spells)

    SO i would really likea little help with setting her up for level 5 ( i am making her kinda a healing tank, She has 20 Ac and that spell that can give you 2 ac extra) ( i did this so she can take some whopping and also dish it out if needed.


    And i kinda need to know before tommorow when i am playing an Epic with her ( also the organiser asked me to also bring her as a level 11 Incase of severe world ending emeegencies and well ........getting her set up as a level 11 , brings even more trouble for me :S )
    You can prepare any number of spells equal to your cleric level plus your WIS modifier; the spell level of the prepared spells doesn't matter.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Yorrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    You can prepare any number of spells equal to your cleric level plus your WIS modifier; the spell level of the prepared spells doesn't matter.
    This. So for example, if you've got a Wisdom of 18 you'd have 4(Wis)+5(level)= 9 total spells. So you could have any combination of 9 spells (not counting cantrips).

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: The Devout and the Dead: a guide to Clerics

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    This. So for example, if you've got a Wisdom of 18 you'd have 4(Wis)+5(level)= 9 total spells. So you could have any combination of 9 spells (not counting cantrips).
    In addition to the 2 spells per spell level from your domain that are prepared automatically on top of those 9.
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2016-03-11 at 01:50 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •