New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Can you progress Chameleon spellcasting with another PrC

As the title. I know you can't use Aptitude Focus to qualify for one, but if you took, say, Dragonslayer, which doesn't have a casting prereq, would it advance your Arcane Focus?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Can you progress Chameleon spellcasting with another PrC

Chameleon does not give spellcasting, so it unfortunately can't be progressed. you can't "progress" your aptitude focus ability with +spellcasting classes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Chameleon does not give spellcasting
    Neither do Bard, Sorcerer, or Wizard, though. They give "spells". You explicitly gain the ability to cast spells and a CL; why then is it not a spellcasting class?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

From the description of the arcane focus ability:
    You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does
    If a wizard can qualify, so can you. You cannot, however, advance in or take advantage of a PrC's benefits when you don't meet its requirements, so if you take levels in Incantatrix or whatever, you're a bit gimped unless you stick with Arcane Focus every day.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    From the description of the arcane focus ability:

If a wizard can qualify, so can you. You cannot, however, advance in or take advantage of a PrC's benefits when you don't meet its requirements, so if you take levels in Incantatrix or whatever, you're a bit gimped unless you stick with Arcane Focus every day.
    There are Chameleons who don't use Arcane Focus every day?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay, this is a little tricky.

Chameleon's aptitude focus cannot be used to qualify for any prestige classes. However, they do grant spells per day and a caster level, and "spellcasting class" is never actually defined anywhere. So it would have to be up to your DM as to what a spellcasting class technically is....but I think granting the ability to cast spells should be enough even without an explicit "spells" ability. The other issue is whether Chameleon is an arcane or divine prestige class, to which I say it's both as that is determined by what spell list they cast from (which is all of them).

So you'd have to use some other class combination to qualify for your desired prestige class, but could use it to advance your casting (similar to how invocation uses and shadow casters can be progressed by prestige classes that they don't natively qualify for). Being outside of your arcane/divine focus wouldn't make you lose your prestige class abilities since you qualified for them through other classes anyway (but why would you want to?)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You cannot, however, advance in or take advantage of a PrC's benefits when you don't meet its requirements
    Can you provide a citation that shows this is true in general, and not just for classes in CArc or CWar?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Can you provide a citation that shows this is true in general, and not just for classes in CArc or CWar?
    Races of the Dragon, page 32, in the Substituting Spellscale Racial Traits sidebar.

The loss of racial traits might mean you no longer meet the prerequisites for a prestige class, feat, or some other feature. In general, you lose any special ability for which you no longer qualify, and nothing is gained in its place.
    Obviously bold is mine, but I felt like emphasizing the extremely convenient wording there.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Say hello to Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster. Both should progress all your Chameleon abilities, albeit at a 7/10 and 2/3 rate, respectively.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, it is just CArc and CWar? I thought there were more than that. Those are the two non-PHB books that I've read most thoroughly (they were my first two splatbooks), so I assumed they were the norm.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-01 at 12:28 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Oh, it is just CArc and CWar? I thought there were more than that. Those are the two non-PHB books that I've read most thoroughly (they were my first two splatbooks), so I assumed they were the norm.
    This is a matter of intense debate that hasn't been settled in years. Short answer: ask your DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    Races of the Dragon, page 32, in the Substituting Spellscale Racial Traits sidebar.

Obviously bold is mine, but I felt like emphasizing the extremely convenient wording there.
    That "In general" still refers to Spellscales undergoing the rite. The words "in general" are used as opposed to the two exceptions that follow -- not stating that this rule applies to all of qualification in all books.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Say hello to Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster. Both should progress all your Chameleon abilities, albeit at a 7/10 and 2/3 rate, respectively.
    Yep, this is the only airtight answer I could think of as well. Uncanny Trickster works quite well with Chameleon, too (both thematically, and the mechanics are pretty good too: 8 skill points/level instead of 4, 1 good save instead of none, and same BAB. Main downside is 1 level that could have another base class or PrC jammed in, and d6 HD instead of d8.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Do note, however, that although Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Cham advance Chameleon beyond the cap, there are very few things that are altered beyond cap, pretty much only caster level.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-10-01 at 05:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    As the title. I know you can't use Aptitude Focus to qualify for one, but if you took, say, Dragonslayer, which doesn't have a casting prereq, would it advance your Arcane Focus?
    Theoretically yes, as would Ruathar (Races of the Wild). Honestly, that sort of thing is probably the best way to finish up a Chameleon build at higher levels - a "standard" entry of something like Rogue-5/Chameleon-10 doesn't have any obvious direction to go for 16th level. Ask your DM, though, as certain aspects of that are a little dicey.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

16. - Top - End - #16

That "In general" still refers to Spellscales undergoing the rite. The words "in general" are used as opposed to the two exceptions that follow -- not stating that this rule applies to all of qualification in all books.
    That seems like a kinda narrow reading of what's presented. The two sentences, as presented, seem more like they read as a pair of related if-then statements.

"If you lose racial traits, Then you might not continue to fill a prerequisite for an ability."

Followed by

"If you don't meet prerequisites for an ability, Then you lose access to them, barring exceptions."

The first statement is related to spellscales specifically, while the second is spelling out why the first is relevant. The "in general" is setting a baseline, which is needed for ther to be exceptions.

Plus, if you look at the exceptions it further supports this. The first sets up "if you don't qualify because of this rite, while the second calls out prestige classes without providing any such qualifiers, stating no matter what you keep the chassis. It also sets precedent that you can regain class abilities if you meet all the prerequisites. This supports that it isn't just loss or regaining of racial abilities, but of any abilities. At that point, it is broad enough that it can easily cover just spellscales.

So to that, I pose the opposite of your initial assertion. Can you provide a citation which shows that "the loss of prerequisites cause the loss of abilities" is only applicable to the prestige classes in CWar and CArc, or for anything spellscales do? (Preemptive note, just to save us some time, these rules aren't in contradiction to anything, so their absence from primary sources isn't relevant. The PHB Errata's bit on prescedence of primary sources is only for situations of contradiction. Not saying that's your position, just addressing it ahead of time.)
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Intent is not provable, so the "does the CW rule apply to all PrC's" is not really provable either.

However...

1) There's the Primary Source Rule at the top of the errata for the core books:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG Errata
    Errata Rule: Primary Sources
    When you find a disagreement between two D&D rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.
    Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player’s Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for PC races, and the base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master’s Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player’s Handbook, you should assume the Player’s Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master’s Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities.
    2) The limitation found in Complete Warrior was present (word for word) in the PrC header in the 3.0 DMG. In the 3.5 DMG, the PrC header was word-for-word the same as it was in the 3.0 DMG... minus the limitation found in Complete Warrior.

I choose to treat the DMG as the primary Source for general rules no how to handle PrCs, and treat the Complete Warrior limitation as a conflict (specifically as a copy/paste error during development - they copied the text from the wrong version of the DMG). Not everyone will choose the same way.

That said: I also don't take things verbatim from the DMG when I'm DMing. I treat it thusly: If you voluntarily relenquish a PrC requirement, then you lose most PrC benefits (with exceptions to avoid things like the quantum dragon disciple). If a PrC requirement is stripped from you, then you maintain all PrC abilities but can no longer advance in that PrC. Why? I don't want people cheating their way out of the feat tax built into a lot of PrC's, but I also don't want that Ex-Paladin-5/Blackguard-10 NPC the party is fighting to suddenly turn into an NPC Warrior because of a first level spell.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

18. - Top - End - #18

HalflingPirate

I hear you. And, I think we are starting to get into a tangent about prereqs. Thankfully, we are not debating losing actual prereqs. The statement I was questioning was that you only get the benefit of Incantatrix while in arcane focus. However, assuming you qualified for Incantatrix using something other than Chameleon (which is required), then you aren't losing the prereqs.

Also, if we allow that Chameleon is an arcane spellcasting class, then it is so whether or not you have arcane focus up. The class grants casting, even if you aren't using it. Next, Incantatrix says:

When a new incantatrix level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class granted her access to 3 rd-level spells before she added the prestige class.
    Notice that it just grants spells as if you had gained a level of chameleon, not a level of arcane focus. So, Incantatrix advances the arcane and divine casting of Chameleon.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

Regardless of what a strict reading of RAW says, does anyone actually think it makes sense for the restriction on prestige class prerequisites to only apply to ones in the books where it's specifically called out? Because that just seems dumb to me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Regardless of what a strict reading of RAW says, does anyone actually think it makes sense for the restriction on prestige class prerequisites to only apply to ones in the books where it's specifically called out? Because that just seems dumb to me.
    Not really. The reason there's even an argument about it, and similar things in the first place, is that there's so little to go off of that the uncertainty makes it a fertile ground for arguments. In a real life scenario, it's pretty much always 'ask your DM' territory. As a DM I don't set rules on it, I just treat each case as I see fit.

21. - Top - End - #21

I for one don't. If you're (for example) a Blackguard who becomes Lawful Good, I see no reason why you would still have an aura of evil, a blessing/spells from dark powers, or a fiendish creature following you around, and if I'm revoking all of that I'm going to revoke the rest too.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I for one don't. If you're (for example) a Blackguard who becomes Lawful Good, I see no reason why you would still have an aura of evil, a blessing/spells from dark powers, or a fiendish creature following you around, and if I'm revoking all of that I'm going to revoke the rest too.
    That's fine, but why would he suddenly lose the ability to make sneak attacks or use poison? Why would an Assassin turned Good, why would you suddenly lose all your knowledge of assassination techniques? Why would an Arcane Archer lose their ability to channel spells through their bows if they're reincarnated as a dwarf (let's assume they have a couple levels of fighter so they still have bow proficiency)?

The fact is that whichever way you rule it something breaks. RAW is ambiguous. The only sane real-game answer is individually adjudicating abilities.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2014-10-01 at 09:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

That's fine, but why would he suddenly lose the ability to make sneak attacks or use poison? Why would an Assassin turned Good, why would you suddenly lose all your knowledge of assassination techniques? Why would an Arcane Archer lose their ability to channel spells through their bows if they're reincarnated as a dwarf (let's assume they have a couple levels of fighter so they still have bow proficiency)?

The fact is that whichever way you rule it something breaks. RAW is ambiguous. The only sane real-game answer is individually adjudicating abilities.
    True. It makes sense to prevent advancement in a PrC that you no longer meet the prereqs for (nonevil characters can't take Assassin 1, why can they take Assassin 3?) but I wouldn't have them lose the benefits (except for alignment-based things such as the Blackguard's non-Ex abilities).
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Usually I find the issue is more with bad prerequisites more than anything. If I lose, say, Weapon Focus, it makes sense that I can't use Invisible Blade stuff. That's sensible. If I get reincarnated at a dwarf, it makes no sense that I can become a dwarven defender, nor does it make sense that I can't keep progressing shadowcraft mage. Still, ultimately I tend to divorce the effects of that from what makes sense in-universe. There's gonna be corner cases where things stop making sense either way, and I prefer leaving an incentive to not find ways to trade prereqs away.

And to point out further "huh?" moments, why are monks incapable of learning to punch harder if they start taking after the slaad? Why can't a bard keep learning to sing better if they play by the rules? Requirements force the world to be kinda weird sometimes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

This is why alignment and class-specific prerequisites are stupid.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    This is why alignment and class-specific prerequisites are stupid.
    Not really. Considering how many things work off of alignment (Smite, Protection/Circle against X, the Artifact books) alignment is a key part of D&D. Not as key as classes and skills, but a key part nonetheless. The class-specific requirements keep the classes separate past level 5. Otherwise it doesn't matter your lead up as you can get into any class that only has skill requirements with Able Learner and a Factotum dip. Two things and all classes are open to you now. You'd still have to wait until your BAB is the right rank for the ones that care, but now there's really nothing to differentiate a Soulbow(bad class I know) from a Dervish or a Kensai from a Master of Nine(because martial maneuvers in the quantity needed can only be achieved by Martial Adepts)
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, you could say that they aren't as practiced with poison anymore if they turn good but I actually agree with you on these. So I would limit it to Supernatural, Spell-like abilities and spells that come from the class. That just leaves the aura and servant, which should probably be magic anyway.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Not really. Considering how many things work off of alignment (Smite, Protection/Circle against X, the Artifact books) alignment is a key part of D&D. Not as key as classes and skills, but a key part nonetheless. The class-specific requirements keep the classes separate past level 5. Otherwise it doesn't matter your lead up as you can get into any class that only has skill requirements with Able Learner and a Factotum dip. Two things and all classes are open to you now. You'd still have to wait until your BAB is the right rank for the ones that care, but now there's really nothing to differentiate a Soulbow(bad class I know) from a Dervish or a Kensai from a Master of Nine(because martial maneuvers in the quantity needed can only be achieved by Martial Adepts)
    You're missing my point. Things that are built into "being the elfiest elf that ever did elf" make sense. Arcane Archer being elf only is dumb, because obviously only elves like magic and archery enough to mix the two.

29. - Top - End - #29

Agreed - it's worth noting that PF removed the racial restriction as well.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30

Yep. Chameleon is advanced by other classes.
    When a rule is only mentioned in that specific book and causes things to utterly break if applied to other books, yeah. Ignoring the stuff about alignment and race goofiness, PrCs like Dragon Disciple and Ur-Priest simply do not function at all if you apply this rule generally. So given that it was intentionally removed from the DMG, intentionally put in a splat and does not function if applied to classes outside that particular splat... I think it's safe to say that no, it's not a general rule.